Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Collateral Damage posted:

Read: "We're making poo poo tons of money off kids and their parents who buy all our crappy Minecraft merch and you sperglords aren't our target demographic."

On topic, I found another great mod: Chainsaw. Does just what it says on the tin, gives you a chainsaw for rapid tree harvesting before you get construction bots.

Can't harvest biters, mod is so not legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Collateral Damage posted:

On topic, I found another great mod: Chainsaw. Does just what it says on the tin, gives you a chainsaw for rapid tree harvesting before you get construction bots.

It's been posted a few times I think but it's one of the staples I use in most games. My biggest beef with it is the sound effect and lack of option to turn it off. I use an altered version which is silent (edit the code and remove the call to play the sound). The biter joke above, it used to do damage to the user if you hit anything other than a tree in early versions. It was fairly easy to kill yourself hitting a rock but he removed that and put in the 'cannot mine' message instead.

Mr. Powers posted:

Are there any good tutorials for using Foreman to create optimized or balanced recipes? Maybe it doesn't do what I think it does, but I'd like to design a balanced red circuit factory and I feel like I'm missing something with it (Foreman).

Or just to throw in another option, you can use Helmod from inside Factorio. The translation is mostly even legible now too.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Friendly reminder that you can use the deconstruction planner on trees (also large rocks) and have construction bots harvest them for you!

Doesn't help in the very early game, but it's great once you've advanced to the phase of needing to clear out an entire forest in seconds for another wing of expansion, and don't feel like using gas grenades or fire.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

GenericOverusedName posted:

Friendly reminder that you can use the deconstruction planner on trees (also large rocks) and have construction bots harvest them for you!

Doesn't help in the very early game, but it's great once you've advanced to the phase of needing to clear out an entire forest in seconds for another wing of expansion, and don't feel like using gas grenades or fire.

This is secretly the number one reason to rush construction bots. Then turn every vibrant forest into a blasted wasteland populated only by train tracks and solar farms.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Even after bots there's just something about lighting a forest on fire and driving a tank through the charred remains.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I was disappointed with how much manual cleanup I had to do after burning a forest.

I've decided that there should be a Factorio mobile port. You'd get rid of the concept of a moving player, and you'd probably have to come up with a new concept for combat unless you ditch it completely.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mr. Powers posted:

I was disappointed with how much manual cleanup I had to do after burning a forest.

I've decided that there should be a Factorio mobile port. You'd get rid of the concept of a moving player, and you'd probably have to come up with a new concept for combat unless you ditch it completely.

I really hope they don't waste time making a mobile version of Factorio. Mobile ports are always absolute garbage, and the only people that play them are kids.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

I really hope they don't waste time making a mobile version of Factorio. Mobile ports are always absolute garbage, and the only people that play them are kids.

Clash of Strike Factorio Clans: You can automate your credit card purchases.

For 50 gems you can handcraft your first batch of red science.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I remember their April Fool's joke where they released a FF saying they had been secretly working on a mobile version of Factorio, and it actually included those ideas. Like you had to play the game, but to make assemblers required purchasing gems or something. People got so angry.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-132

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Loopoo posted:

This sounds like the words of someone who never needs to kill time without a PC at their side. Factorio would actually translate pretty well, and most mobile games are created by terrible developers, so it would be nice to have one created by a competent team.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mr. Powers posted:

This sounds like the words of someone who never needs to kill time without a PC at their side. Factorio would actually translate pretty well, and most mobile games are created by terrible developers, so it would be nice to have one created by a competent team.

When I'm out and about and have time to kill, I either read books on Kindle, listen to audiobooks on Audible, or listen to music with Pandora whilst browsing stuff. I used to play mobile games when I was younger (16-18) but now I just find them all boring, repetitive and clunky. Way better browsing Imgur or reading a book I like than playing a typical F2P mobile game that charges out the wazoo for advantages you need to do well in the game. Netflix on mobile has been my lifesaver for the longest time.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Loopoo posted:

When I'm out and about and have time to kill, I either read books on Kindle, listen to audiobooks on Audible, or listen to music with Pandora whilst browsing stuff. I used to play mobile games when I was younger (16-18) but now I just find them all boring, repetitive and clunky. Way better browsing Imgur or reading a book I like than playing a typical F2P mobile game that charges out the wazoo for advantages you need to do well in the game. Netflix on mobile has been my lifesaver for the longest time.

So, you don't think the Factorio devs should ever make a mobile friendly Factorio because other companies have terrible (for the consumer) business models and are bad at game design?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Simulating the sheer amount of stuff that goes on in a mature factory might be quite a hurdle for a mobile phone. It'd need to be pretty efficient, or the game made smaller.

Would be fun though. I imagine something like the sandbox mode, without a player character. Maybe have tanks and cars' guns automated like turrets, so you can drive them around and they'll shoot things for you to clear out biter nests.

Bonus idea: Give cars/tanks a command to go somewhere and they'll do it autonomously, driving over/shooting whatever's in the way. After the next patch brings in remote interaction with the map I'd love to see some mod wizards make that happen. Send a fleet of tanks to attack the biters for you!

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 17, 2017

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Mr. Powers posted:

This sounds like the words of someone who never needs to kill time without a PC at their side.
Factorio would make a bad poop break game. Unless you want/need to spend hours on the pot.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Stick Insect posted:

Factorio would make a bad poop break game. Unless you want/need to spend hours on the pot.

Oh, I would be using it as a work avoidance tool. That would have been Dwarf Fortress but about a year ago when I tried to download the Lazy Newb Pack on my work computer, it was blocked by Symantec and I got an email from a network admin asking what Dwarf Fortress was (it was the second time he had seen it, so someone else tried to download it, too). So, I'm limited to what I can play on my phone and most phone games are bad.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
DFHack is in the Lazy Newb Pack, and it works by doing direct memory injection stuff into the game, which tends to set off a lot of antivirus flags because that's the sort of poo poo malware will do.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Tenebrais posted:

Would be fun though. I imagine something like the sandbox mode, without a player character. Maybe have tanks and cars' guns automated like turrets, so you can drive them around and they'll shoot things for you to clear out biter nests.

Bonus idea: Give cars/tanks a command to go somewhere and they'll do it autonomously, driving over/shooting whatever's in the way. After the next patch brings in remote interaction with the map I'd love to see some mod wizards make that happen. Send a fleet of tanks to attack the biters for you!

There's a mod that promises to do this https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Earendel/aai-programmable-vehicles

I haven't tried it, so I can't comment whether it does it particularly well, though.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mr. Powers posted:

From good old Klonan: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/Robot_Cleanup

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mr. Powers posted:

So, you don't think the Factorio devs should ever make a mobile friendly Factorio because other companies have terrible (for the consumer) business models and are bad at game design?

I would much prefer the Factorio devs invest their time and energy in the actual PC version of the game, or another title entirely. They're awesome, and I'm sure they'd make a good mobile port, but it isn't needed nor necessary. The game would also inevitably be a gutted version, seeing as mobiles just can't handle a mature factory like a PC can. Plus, how uncomfortable would it be sitting at your mobile for hours on end awkwardly trying to place entities and move around? Even if things carried on in the background, the battery drain would suck, and it'd just make more sense to comfortably sit at a PC when you can.

Personally, I'd be pretty bummed out if the devs released a statement saying they were genuinely working on a mobile port. A console port I'd sort of understand, there's a lot of money to be made with console games. But if they came out and said they were working on a brand new title, that'd leave me feeling 100x more excited and happy.

I think the percent of players who'd actively be interested in a mobile port are a very niche part of the fanbase.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Loopoo posted:

I think the percent of players who'd actively be interested in a mobile port are a very niche part of the fanbase.

Make it a free to play where every item now takes some time to build, and you can pay in app currency (funbux) to accelerate their build.

Oh, your belt line isn't up and running yet? Just spend 15 funbux to get them built. Want to accelerate that science research? funbux! And skip building upgrade modules entirely - make them entirely funbux based. Want a fat shipment of gears? funbux!

You're welcome Factorio dev team. Just give me a couple free licenses on steam, and some absolution for how filthy I feel proposing that, and we'll call it square.

E: I didn't see loopoo's link that they already joked about that. Comment still stands though.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Loopoo posted:

Even if things carried on in the background, the battery drain would suck, and it'd just make more sense to comfortably sit at a PC when you can.

Can confirm, I played this on a W10 laptop that transforms into a tablet over the weekend and holy gently caress it sucks up battery.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

GotLag posted:

If anyone here is running Reactors and is having speed issues, a guy called Vegemeister has provided an optimised version. I'm not sure if it's worth bundling it up for a proper release given how close 0.15 apparently is.

I'm waiting for .15 to start a new game, but I fired my current 1RPM up to test this and the improvements are quite noticeable: with 350 turbines, time_used_percent went from 7.5 down to 1.4 and framerate went from 35 up to a little over 45 - with the silos turned on. With silos turned off, the game sits at 60FPS instead of 40-something.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
For those who don't know, if trees somehow survive long enough within a very high pollution chunk, they die off.

I saw a neat line in the forest right next to my oil refinery where this happened :)

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

For those who don't know, if trees somehow survive long enough within a very high pollution chunk, they die off.

I saw a neat line in the forest right next to my oil refinery where this happened :)

gently caress now I have a reason to leave some trees around.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Factorio mobile:
- Tilt phone to move characters/vehicles!
- To save battery, make it a thin client that connects to your PC. Your meaty desktop runs a multiplayer server that your phone connects to!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

redleader posted:

- To save battery, make it a thin client that connects to your PC. Your meaty desktop runs a multiplayer server that your phone connects to!

you joke, but one enterprising madman did exactly this with Dwarf Fortress and iOS

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Spend 25 science to try and fuse common techs to create the legendary logistics 4 tech.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

seravid posted:

I'm waiting for .15 to start a new game, but I fired my current 1RPM up to test this and the improvements are quite noticeable: with 350 turbines, time_used_percent went from 7.5 down to 1.4 and framerate went from 35 up to a little over 45 - with the silos turned on. With silos turned off, the game sits at 60FPS instead of 40-something.

A possible issue: known retard Optera has reported that the optimised version drastically increases the time taken to cool off after an overheat, but then he's just as likely to have broken something tinkering with it, so skepticism is warranted.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Hey Bob's users, what's the deal with mass producing sulfuric acid? The bottleneck is sulfur dioxide. I can make 5x sulfur dioxide from 5x sulfur and oxygen, and 5x sulfur from 5x sulfur dioxide and hydrogen. So essentially it turns oxygen and hydrogen into nothing? What's even the point of that? Am I stuck just making sulfur dioxide as an oil processing byproduct?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Eschatos posted:

Hey Bob's users, what's the deal with mass producing sulfuric acid? The bottleneck is sulfur dioxide. I can make 5x sulfur dioxide from 5x sulfur and oxygen, and 5x sulfur from 5x sulfur dioxide and hydrogen. So essentially it turns oxygen and hydrogen into nothing? What's even the point of that? Am I stuck just making sulfur dioxide as an oil processing byproduct?

Many things in bob's mods have more than one recipe to create them.

For example, you can still make sulfuric acid from sulfur the exact same way as in vanilla.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Eschatos posted:

You're looking at the reversible chemical reactions. The oxygen binds with the Sulfer to make SO2, or You can take SO2 and burn it in H2 to separate out S and H2O. Evaporating hot water vapor isn't modeled. Its not that the Oxygen and Hydrogen aren't going anywhere.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Jabor posted:

Many things in bob's mods have more than one recipe to create them.

For example, you can still make sulfuric acid from sulfur the exact same way as in vanilla.

That's not an option with what I'm assuming is the latest version of Bob's(installed through in-game mod browser).

M_Gargantua posted:

You're looking at the reversible chemical reactions. The oxygen binds with the Sulfer to make SO2, or You can take SO2 and burn it in H2 to separate out S and H2O. Evaporating hot water vapor isn't modeled. Its not that the Oxygen and Hydrogen aren't going anywhere.

I accept that it may be a realistic reaction, but it's pretty useless in game terms.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I'm bored of vanilla Factorio, should I play Bob's? I went to a 24h gaming event at uni and some guys were playing it, but the second I hopped on the server and saw how insanely indepth it was, I chickened out and just played D&D instead.

If I play Bob's, is there a risk of me burning out before the new patch comes out?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Loopoo posted:

If I'm bored of vanilla Factorio, should I play Bob's? I went to a 24h gaming event at uni and some guys were playing it, but the second I hopped on the server and saw how insanely indepth it was, I chickened out and just played D&D instead.

If I play Bob's, is there a risk of me burning out before the new patch comes out?

Patch is likely days away so I'd wait and do something else.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

This makes me both happy and sad

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Eschatos posted:

That's not an option with what I'm assuming is the latest version of Bob's(installed through in-game mod browser).

I accept that it may be a realistic reaction, but it's pretty useless in game terms.

Those are just alternate ways to make sulfuric acid with the by products of other reactions. A lot of the reactions are set up so you have ways to handle having excess resources by converting them to other resources. The primary way is still getting sulfur from oil production.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Loopoo posted:

This makes me both happy and sad

I mean you can jump in if you want but Bob's is not for the fainthearted and takes a while to get into and even figure out what the gently caress you are doing.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

A metaphor for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
So I've been playing a game of Factorio with my cousin and we're running GotLag's Nuclear (as well as a ton of other mods, albeit not the Angel's/Bob's families). I'm enjoying it very much and I've built my reactors more or less to the specifications in the mod's main thread but I've been trying to figure out an alternate approach to my reactors. As it stands, each reactor has a little 2x2 circle of belts that I'm using to control the inserters that feed fuel into the next one in the chain - each is set up to allow feeding of fuel when the "reactor power output" signal goes over 90% and to stop allowing it when the same signal drops below 40%. The steam turbines that handle the output are always hooked into the power grid.

This works great for making sure that the reactors aren't continuously burning up my processed uranium when they don't need to be and ensuring that the reactors DO come online when I need them to be; it presents a problem in that the inserters put multiple fuel items into the reactor when they get triggered (stack size upgrades and such) and I don't usually need 100% of that power output for 50 seconds straight, so no matter what I'm losing out on some of the energy potential and wasting uranium.

I'm sure I could figure it out if I knew which way to approach the math or the experimental side of things, but just how much water CAN a single reactor heat to 100* on a single piece of fuel? With some rough approximation it seems like it can't exceed 18,000 water per "recipe", since 6 pumps producing 60 water/second each for 50 seconds totals 18k water, right?

NOT ACTUALLY AN EDIT: I realized upon reviewing the original post that there's a "reactor shutdown" signal included in this set. Will this stop a recipe in progress, halting the 50 second-long consumption of the fuel, or will the current piece of fuel be consumed fully before shutdown occurs? Or am I utterly misunderstanding something altogether?