Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Yusuke is a great character
this is a good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

PERSONA 5: We're all gay for Yusuke

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ChaosArgate posted:

I thought you couldn't down bosses no matter what?

This... might be true actually I didn't get The Tower on my first playthrough so I didn't actually try it out. This should only really be relevant for palace bosses and the final boss though, I don't see any reason mid-bosses and the like would be immune to knockdowns though. It's a fair point against Yusuke though... I'm just severely biased because it is Yusuke.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Midbosses aren't immune to being Downed, since a significant number of them still have weaknesses and stuff. Actual bosses are immune to being Downed in every way, but are also really boring in general so that's just one point in the "reasons why all the bosses are badly designed" list really.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Moltrey posted:

Look Yusuke needs money okay? He was late to a movie date with me because he got off the train a stop earlier to save money, someone help him...

Maybe the MC needs to share some of that sweet confused-Memetos-boss loot.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I just had one of the scenes with the gay stereotypes people have complained about the first time the protag and Ryuji go to Shinjuku and they hit on Ryuji. Is that all there is of them until they reappear later? People made it seem like they appear twice. Is it more than that?

Honestly, I didn't think that scene or those two characters were super offensive and it didn't strike me as the game being super homophobic or anything. But then again, I live in San Francisco and I could go down the street and find people who are literally those characters in real life.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i just wanna point out that in the jp voice acting joseph joestar voices a dude who creates a "stand"/persona that looks just like josuke, further cementing yusuke as the best boy

Mordiceius posted:

So I just had one of the scenes with the gay stereotypes people have complained about the first time the protag and Ryuji go to Shinjuku and they hit on Ryuji. Is that all there is of them until they reappear later? People made it seem like they appear twice. Is it more than that?

Honestly, I didn't think that scene or those two characters were super offensive and it didn't strike me as the game being super homophobic or anything. But then again, I live in San Francisco and I could go down the street and find people who are literally those characters in real life.

they show up again later one with as much heavy handed gay stereotyping. it's dumb and bad

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mordiceius posted:

They reappear, are the only confirmed gay characters in the game other than one of your teachers in a single line and talk about how much they like to prey on younger teenagers (Ryuji, they talk about how hot Goro is, and one says the other has a partner 20 years younger than him) equating gay people as not much more than pedophiles

it's a real real bad look, game

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Moltrey posted:

They reappear, are the only confirmed gaylcharacters in the game other than one of your teachers in a single line and talk about how much they like to prey on younger teenagers (Ryuji, they talk about how hot Goro is, and one says the other has a partner 20 years younger than him)

it's a real bad look, gmame

which teacher?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Moltrey posted:

the only confirmed gaylcharacters in the game other than one of your teachers in a single line

I think I can guess the one.

Also yeahhhh, don't look to Japan for progressive views on LGBT people.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Pollyanna posted:

i don't remember but i think it's actually the older one with glasses, your history teacher. He talks about his partner in the lead in to one of his questions i think

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
re: Kanji V Chie, someone in the SA LP I think pointed this out but basically it would balance them out a little if the game had just reversed their statlines giving Chie (whose spells are pretty useless) more attack, and Kanji (who's also a viable lightning caster) more SP

it's like they did their statline based on their physical appearance or gender stereotypes rather than their skills

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm rolling in a million yen but Yusuke can't afford to eat

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
every female character in this game that's underage has at least one person way older then they are sexually preying on them, it's only fair that it happens to some boys too

just b/c a character is gay doesn't mean they have to be a tokenesque caricature that represents all gay people everywhere. that sort of viewpoint is very anti art and labeling heavy imo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Moltrey posted:

i don't remember but i think it's actually the older one with glasses, your history teacher

theres a couple of those. is it the dramatic guy or the short lady in a brown pantsuit?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harlock posted:

I'm rolling in a million yen but Yusuke can't afford to eat

I'm not sharing my fortune teller and maid money

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Moltrey posted:

i don't remember but i think it's actually the older one with glasses, your history teacher. He talks about his partner in the lead in to one of his questions i think

The middle-aged cranky dude? Huh, okay, didn't see that one coming.

Edit: he's the only guy teacher with glasses, unless you meant the math teacher. Also I don't remember anything like that coming up.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 17, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I can't tell if the 7th palace's theme is stuck in my head because it's just that good or if it's just been permanently etched there due to the place never ending.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also whats the deal with yusuke.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I actually had to pause to try and remember any of the teachers in P5 other than Becky.

Meanwhile I can still remember Ms. Toirumi and the weird teacher in P4 obsessed with Personas/occult/whatever.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

anime was right posted:

theres a couple of those. is it the dramatic guy or the short lady in a brown pantsuit?
the dramatic guy i think I honestly cannot remember specfically

darealkooky posted:

every female character in this game that's underage has at least one person way older then they are sexually preying on them, it's only fair that it happens to some boys too

just b/c a character is gay doesn't mean they have to be a tokenesque caricature that represents all gay people everywhere. that sort of viewpoint is very anti art and labeling heavy imo
yeah but for characters like kamoshidas, there's someone like sojiro, a great father who any time rumor of his possible abuse comes up, you can quash instantly.

those two are the game's forefront gay characters unless your reading of yusuke is that he's gay and they are showcased in a plot scene

it's an extremely bad look

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think the two gay dudes stand out really hard in comparison to p4 which had one of the best representations of dealing with one's sexuality in a video game to date.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ApplesandOranges posted:

I actually had to pause to try and remember any of the teachers in P5 other than Becky.

Meanwhile I can still remember Ms. Toirumi and the weird teacher in P4 obsessed with Personas/occult/whatever.
i like the english teacher with too much make up

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Also, I just got the intro to Palace 3 last night and the two fights almost completely wrecked my poo poo (with repeated Rampages). How bad am I going to get pounded in palace 3 and are there any tips for going in?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

anime was right posted:

i think the two gay dudes stand out really hard in comparison to p4 which had one of the best representations of dealing with one's sexuality in a video game to date.

Probably only entirely by accident. I'm still of the opinion that Atlus bumbled their way into that one, and they still didn't pull it off without a hitch.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Also, I just got the intro to Palace 3 last night and the two fights almost completely wrecked my poo poo (with repeated Rampages). How bad am I going to get pounded in palace 3 and are there any tips for going in?

Get a persona that resists or repels physical, like Black Slime.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

anime was right posted:

Except Yosuke always going "EWWWW GROSS GET AWAY FROM ME GAY BOY"

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Pollyanna posted:

Seconding this. Their views are only marginally more progressive than the criminal justice system (which, as represented in the game, is actually pretty close to the truth in terms of how bad it is).

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

anime was right posted:

yeaaaaaah, that's not really a medal I'll ever be ready to pin on Persona 4's chest.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

darealkooky posted:

When those are the only examples of explicitly gay characters in the game, yeah it actually is really bad.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something I want to ask about since people have suggested it might be an issue with at least one Palace: are there any Palaces where I'll lose days if I steal the person's heart before the deadline? It sounds like that isn't the case for the 7th Palace, but it sounds like something happens before that one that primes people to think it might be, so I figured I'd check. If it is one, just the number of the Palace is all I need (or the month). Thanks.

LuiCypher posted:

Seconding this. Their views are only marginally more progressive than the criminal justice system (which, as represented in the game, is actually pretty close to the truth in terms of how bad it is).

Yeah, it's... not great. This is off-topic from Persona, but there's a cross-dressing side quest in Zelda: Breath of the Wild, featuring a Hylian who dresses as a woman to get into the Gerudo town (which Link also eventually does). I saw more than one article, and a lot of people on here, talking about that character as if they were supposed to be a transwoman, but everything about that scene suggested the character was a cis man cross-dressing to sneak into the Gerudo town, not actually a trans person. So I was really confused by that--"Zelda tries trans integration and fumbles" isn't really accurate. It's more like "Zelda goes for the tired old 'lol cross-dressing is funny and weird' joke."

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Moltrey posted:

yeaaaaaah, that's not really a medal I'll ever be ready to pin on Persona 4's chest.

its like being king of poo poo mountain lol but its miles better than uh

persona 5.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Like I'd actually like to know how the whole "P4 has a really progressive set of LGBT characters" thing came about, because it really did not and it's bizarre to see people hold it up as anything of the sort.

Saagonsa posted:

When those are the only examples of explicitly gay characters in the game, yeah it actually is really bad.

On a side note, I can now fully appreciate your avatar, which I've always liked.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

anime was right posted:

None of the above. It's the one that you'd pin as "possibly gay because he's kind of fabulous looking".

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pollyanna posted:

Like I'd actually like to know how the whole "P4 has a really progressive set of LGBT characters" thing came about, because it really did not and it's bizarre to see people hold it up as anything of the sort.

On a side note, I can now fully appreciate your avatar, which I've always liked.

there's only one that's good and yeah it may have been a total accident.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo it's extremely hosed up to make your intro to the world's biggest gay district and a place with hundreds of LGBT-owned and friendly bars, clubs, and restaurants about how gay people want to molest children. like even beyond the joke being lame it's extremely hurtful and hosed up. it kinda goes beyond 'lol japan' because it is taking a place that is actually gay-positive, in real life, and turning it into a really, really bad joke. that is not a good look. in fact, it is bad. not to say shinjuku is, in the parlance of the youth, 'woke,' it's kinda gaudy and there's plenty of weird poo poo going on there, but i can go there and get a burrito made by an old japanese lady and her mexican girlfriend. it is a good thing, all-in-all.

also

A) there's plenty of stuff that comes from japan with good, or at least decent, depictions of gay people. i understand a desire to make excuses for a game you like but Persona 5 is stuck in the past even by 'stuff made for japanese anime nerds' standards. that's not to say japan is some pro-gay mecca but seriously, p5 is beyond the times.

B)

anime was right posted:

lol

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Harrow posted:

Something I want to ask about since people have suggested it might be an issue with at least one Palace: are there any Palaces where I'll lose days if I steal the person's heart before the deadline? It sounds like that isn't the case for the 7th Palace, but it sounds like something happens before that one that primes people to think it might be, so I figured I'd check. If it is one, just the number of the Palace is all I need (or the month). Thanks.

Nope. You can send calling cards whenever you want, save for one specific instance you've already seen.

Pollyanna posted:

Something something Kanji and Naoto something.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

YoshiOfYellow posted:

None of the above. It's the one that you'd pin as "possibly gay because he's kind of fabulous looking".

thats the dramatic guy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

It's weird to see how big of a step back Persona took on LGBT characters since Persona 2, too. Okay, so Jun is kind of a stereotypical, effete take on a gay character, but your badass biker dude delinquent MC can be gay if you want and it's fine. (They basically retcon that in Eternal Punishment and he's canon in love with Maya but hey)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure you have to be outright in a relationship with them, which is like Rank 8 I think.

I got Makoto to show up for my Hawaii date even though she was only rank 5? I thought it was more related to who you identified as your type. I picked "smart."