Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

anime was right posted:

i think the two gay dudes stand out really hard in comparison to p4 which had one of the best representations of dealing with one's sexuality in a video game to date.

Persona "Kanji, get the gently caress out of my tent because you're a gay and can't be trusted around men" 4 aint winning any awards on that front.

Especially when the character people think is gay is a complete single target sexuality which doesn't erode once their sexual identity and physical gender come to light.

Which also means people who date Naoto are the worst because she's Kanji's, not yours. You cannot have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Moltrey posted:

those two are the game's forefront gay characters unless your reading of yusuke is that he's gay and they are showcased in a plot scene

it's an extremely bad look
I don't know the exact specifics of this part of japanese subculture but what about lala-chan? Either way, the forefront nationalist character is basically a walking political cartoon, right down to breaking into evil laughter every other scene, and you don't see me up in arms about how I'm not being fairly represented in this videogame

anime was right posted:

i think the two gay dudes stand out really hard in comparison to p4 which had one of the best representations of dealing with one's sexuality in a video game to date.

kanji and naoto's issues have nothing to do with sexuality and everything to do with gender roles and bullying

unless you were talking about yosuke, who may be the only example of an rpg game character being deeply in the closet without them ever actually admitting it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

I don't know the exact specifics of this part of japanese subculture but what about lala-chan? Either way, the forefront nationalist character is basically a walking political cartoon, right down to breaking into evil laughter every other scene, and you don't see me up in arms about how I'm not being fairly represented in this videogame
nationalists are not a underpresented minority - wait did you just say you're a nationalist

edit: also the difference between those two gay dudes and lala-chan is that lala-chan is a person. she's not a major character or anything and is depicted a bit stereotypically but there's plenty of people that look like that in irl shinjuku and she's, again, presented like a person. she makes jokes, she interacts with the protag and ohya in a normal, reasonable way, etc. those two weird gay dudes just mince onscreen and say they're gonna rape ryuji.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
ok well i opened up a can of worms and maybe i misinterpreted kanji's social link (or maybe it was actually good but completely ruined over by supplementary material i hadnt read) sorry yall. how i interpreted kanjis social link seems to be totally different from everyone else's.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

YoshiOfYellow posted:

None of the above. It's the one that you'd pin as "possibly gay because he's kind of fabulous looking".

oh beans i was hecka wrong

Sorry Mr. Hiruta

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know, I was skeptical about people saying Yusuke wasn't attracted to Ann, but then I got to the beach scene with the lobsters. Yeah, if he believes a lobster is just as beautiful as Ann, he really does only care about art, huh?

ChaosArgate posted:

Nope. You can send calling cards whenever you want, save for one specific instance you've already seen.

I'm up through the fourth Palace and so far I haven't had any restrictions on calling cards unless I'm misremembering. Which Palace has a restriction?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I haven't made it too far in his social link or anything, but Yusuke seems like he's asexual, or at least almost so. Which is a very different take from many characters you see in RPGs.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

darealkooky posted:

kanji and naoto's issues have nothing to do with sexuality and everything to do with gender roles and bullying

unless you were talking about yosuke, who may be the only example of an rpg game character being deeply in the closet without them ever actually admitting it
okay, one. are you a nationalist?

two, go look in the real gosh dang world for actual representation and support of nationalists cause it'd kinda loving everywhere cause you really don't need it in your entertainment

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 17, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime was right posted:

ok well i opened up a can of worms and maybe i misinterpreted kanji's social link (or maybe it was actually good but completely ruined over by supplementary material i hadnt read) sorry yall. how i interpreted kanjis social link seems to be totally different from everyone else's.
it isn't really about interpretation, when you get his persona he basically says 'it's not about whether or not im gay (cause im not) it was about how others saw me' and then he spends the rest of the game sweating bullets about naoto even after her gender is revealed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

okay, one. are you a nationalist?

two, go look in the real gosh dang world for actual representation of nationalists cause it'd kinda loving everywhere
why are you quoting me!!!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Harrow posted:

I'm up through the fourth Palace and so far I haven't had any restrictions on calling cards unless I'm misremembering. Which Palace has a restriction?

Oh my bad, I thought you were at Palace 7 but I misread. Palace 6 has the restriction, but you're not going to lose any days from it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

anime was right posted:

Kanji and Naoto will be pretty much debated until official word comes out either way, and even that won't stop fans from decrying them from their ideal fanon. They've left enough jokes and clues in terms of Kanji that you could read it whichever way you want.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yu Narukami: Best man at Kanji and Naoto's wedding.
Yosuke Hanamura: Caught jerking off in the broom closet over a candid snap of one of the bridesmaid's sideboob.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Endorph posted:

it isn't really about interpretation, when you get his persona he basically says 'it's not about whether or not im gay (cause im not) it was about how others saw me' and then he spends the rest of the game sweating bullets about naoto even after her gender is revealed.

Wasn't there something in Persona 4 where after Naoto's gender is revealed, Kanji still wants to think of her as a guy or something?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh my bad, I thought you were at Palace 7 but I misread. Palace 6 has the restriction, but you're not going to lose any days from it.

Ah, okay. So it's not like "if you send the calling card early you'll lose days" but instead "you're required to send the calling card on a specific day?" Thanks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Wasn't there something in Persona 4 where after Naoto's gender is revealed, Kanji still wants to think of her as a guy or something?
... no?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

why are you quoting me!!!
cause im an idiot!!!! sorry

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I dated Naoto right in front of Kanji

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ah. Guess I'm misremembering. I had thought that Kanji's reaction was something along the lines of "Whew, she's a woman, that means I'm not gay. Though, for some reason I'm more attractive when I think of her exuding masculinity."

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

anime was right posted:

thats the dramatic guy.

For some reason I read it as "Dramatic girl" and thought of the English teacher oops. Either way, look at how fabulous that cravat is goddamn I never paid attention to the in-game model.

quote:

gay characters and stuff

The predatory gay men in P5 are really bad and it's one of the few tarnishes on the game that I actively dislike. It's 2017 can we move past making LGBT people a punchline yet?

As far as Kanji is concerned I always was partial to reading him as actually gay since gently caress we don't get gay characters in games very often, much less really cool well-written ones just let me have this adorable gay thug. Plus the whole "has a thing for Naoto" aspect of him basically just disappeared after his character arc ended unless I'm forgetting further scenes. It doesn't bother me how you read Kanji but didn't the devs basically say at some point or another that they pretty much wanted Kanji to be gay but were afraid of audience reception or was that more grapevine gossip?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

darealkooky posted:

the forefront nationalist character is basically a walking political cartoon, right down to breaking into evil laughter every other scene, and you don't see me up in arms about how I'm not being fairly represented in this videogame

Hahaha okay

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Harrow posted:

Ah, okay. So it's not like "if you send the calling card early you'll lose days" but instead "you're required to send the calling card on a specific day?" Thanks.

Yup. The only way you can lose days when there are active palaces is by spending more days in them.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

slev posted:

I dated Naoto right in front of Kanji

Is it too late to pick this guy as the criminal in P4's story

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

darealkooky posted:

the forefront nationalist character is basically a walking political cartoon, right down to breaking into evil laughter every other scene, and you don't see me up in arms about how I'm not being fairly represented in this videogame

Holy gently caress I missed this.

What the gently caress dude.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont remember them ever really addressing his attraction to her after the reveal. he has a kinda stumbling 'uh it's cool if you're a girl - not that I prefer you this way or nothin' - just, uh, ill shut up now' response when she joins up, but he's kinda talking more about her comfort and how he perceives her as useful to the team than wanting to taru her kaja.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kanji's sexual orientation is explicitly not the point of his social link. It doesn't matter at all regarding the resolution to it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Kind of the opposite. He is extremely relieved since the reveal literally vindicates his feelings.

Also, I think the goofy gay duo are ok. Welp that's my story.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Endorph posted:

i mean i just searched for 15 minutes and could not find a concrete answer and a bunch of people making the same arguments here from both sides so idk man. i'm not gonna touch it anymore. i'll take your word for it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i dated rise right in front of yosuke cause watching your bff make out with your favorite idol a foot away from you must be the most devastating thing possible

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's 2017 can we move past making LGBT people a punchline yet?

To be fair, this game was scheduled for Winter 2014, things were WAY different.

(sarcasm)

Moltrey posted:

i dated rise right in front of yosuke cause watching your bff make out with your favorite idol a foot away from you must be the most devastating thing possuble

The worst thing is that Saki dies so you can't claim her too in the great "gently caress You Yosuke: Inaba 2008 World Tour"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

As far as Kanji is concerned I always was partial to reading him as actually gay since gently caress we don't get gay characters in games very often, much less really cool well-written ones just let me have this adorable gay thug. Plus the whole "has a thing for Naoto" aspect of him basically just disappeared after his character arc ended unless I'm forgetting further scenes. It doesn't bother me how you read Kanji but didn't the devs basically say at some point or another that they pretty much wanted Kanji to be gay but were afraid of audience reception or was that more grapevine gossip?

As I recall, the only official word we've gotten is that the English VA was instructed to play him as gay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

but didn't the devs basically say at some point or another that they pretty much wanted Kanji to be gay but were afraid of audience reception or was that more grapevine gossip?
This never happened. Kanji's dub VA said some stuff, but that was stuff being told to him by the game's english voice director, not the people who wrote the game.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
it is forever a mystery

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Moltrey posted:

i dated rise right in front of yosuke cause watching your bff make out with your favorite idol a foot away from you must be the most devastating thing possible

i dated Rise because she's voiced by Laura Bailey, making her the best

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

darealkooky posted:

Either way, the forefront nationalist character is basically a walking political cartoon, right down to breaking into evil laughter every other scene, and you don't see me up in arms about how I'm not being fairly represented in this videogame

I'm glad I popped into the thread at just the right time to see this.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Endorph posted:

nationalists are not a underpresented minority - wait did you just say you're a nationalist

I'm making a joke to lampoon your point because I'm emotionally immature. P5 is far from a fox news talking piece about how the gay conspiracy is aiming to convert our young strapping males, and it feels more like it just comes from a POV of not even thinking about how people might take offense at that.

I'd much rather be in a world where people can make jokes that aren't really funny about eachother instead of having to self-censor and thus put up proverbial walls/ghettoize because they'd hate to offend anyone. If you consider a scene in a video game to be 'harmful' then you need to :chillpill: because you sound like a puritan that feels a need to inject their personal feelings into the art of others instead of letting people do what they want.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yu Narukami: Best man at Kanji and Naoto's wedding.
Yosuke Hanamura: Caught jerking off in the broom closet over a candid snap of one of the bridesmaid's sideboob.

excuse me this is completely wrong

he's caught jerking off in the broom closet with a trashcan over his head over a candid snap of one of the bridesmaid's sideboob

also, he's covered in piss

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*while playing persona 2* god, this hitler character is SUCH an exaggerated nationalist. for shame, atlus.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It isn't like Persona hasn't had a gay party member before, or even let the main character be gay (in Innocent Sin, specifically), so I'd be surprised if they wanted Kanji to be gay but couldn't actually do that. His whole deal is about how he wants to be seen as a man but he has a lot of interests and feelings that aren't accepted as something befitting a "real man," so he overcompensates. That's an interesting conflict in and of itself, but it's also not the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I actually dated Rise because she's my girlfriend, the youske thing was a sick bonus

Josuke Higashikata posted:

To be fair, this game was scheduled for Winter 2014, things were WAY different.

(sarcasm)

The worst thing is that Saki dies so you can't claim her too in the great "gently caress You Yosuke: Inaba 2008 World Tour"
Well, Yosuke's S. Link basically ends with him realizing he loves you so it sucks for him both ways