Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Grey Hunter posted:

Well hello there!

It appears Swayback Maru is now Brokeback Maru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, 27 shells per turret still seems incredibly low, especially given said ammo would need to be split between two, possibly three, types (Type 1 AP, Type 0 HE, possibly some Type 3 AA shells too). Assuming that number doesn't just refer to a single type of shell (in which case where the hell are the other ammo types listed?).

Wait, Type 3 AA shells as in "anti-aircraft" shells?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

World's biggest shotgun.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Yep.

quote:

The Sanshiki anti-aircraft shell was designed for several gun calibers, including the 46 cm (18.1-inch) guns of the Yamato-class battleships.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
And how did the designers of AA ammunition thought it was going to work? By asking planes to travel on really low altitude and in one more or less tight cluster, while said planes traveled at the angles that were reachable by the turrets?
No, seriously, can someone explain how did they though this could work?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Jesenjin posted:

And how did the designers of AA ammunition thought it was going to work? By asking planes to travel on really low altitude and in one more or less tight cluster, while said planes traveled at the angles that were reachable by the turrets?

japan

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
really big guns shooting very hard

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jesenjin posted:

Time delay shells that would fart out a big cloud of fire and shrapnel when they detonated. They didn't use them much because it turned out that smaller AA cannons worked better.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jesenjin posted:

It blew up one of Musashi's guns.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

really big guns shooting very hard

Mods please change thread title

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Jesenjin posted:

When all you've got is an 18 inch gun...

But hey, we've finally found something to take out those heavy bombers. Maybe. We'll switch to the AP shells if it doesn't work.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

IIRC it loving ruined the rifling in the guns, and that poo poo was not cheap

It was japan.txt in all possible ways

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

When all you've got is an 18 inch gun...

But hey, we've finally found something to take out those heavy bombers. Maybe. We'll switch to the AP shells if it doesn't work.

Only had a 1000m range so they better be skip-bombing.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

TildeATH posted:

Only had a 1000m range so they better be skip-bombing.

The shells, upon exploding, had a 1000m cone of damage. Its not like you could only shoot them to a range of 1k. You set the fuse, the shells would fly out to that distance, and then they would detonate, showering everything in a 1k cone in front with fire and shrapnel.

What would be the point of a 18" gun with a max range of 1 km?

\/ That would be dumb, even for the IJN.(The 1k range thing).

However, Its not a terrible idea. If you had 18" proximity shells, and could accurately target them, they would be lethal to approaching aircraft and would break up formations. Unfortunately for the them, they had neither the radar to target them nor were the shells good enough to explode where you wanted them to.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 18, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Saint Celestine posted:

The shells, upon exploding, had a 1000m cone of damage. Its not like you could only shoot them to a range of 1k. You set the fuse, the shells would fly out to that distance, and then they would detonate, showering everything in a 1k cone in front with fire and shrapnel.

Oh I misread.

Saint Celestine posted:

What would be the point of a 18" gun with a max range of 1 km?

What would be the point of [insert Japanese idea]?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
At least the Japanese apparently noticed the uselessness of that endeavor and made some adjustments to the Yamato's defenses. If Wikipedia's to be believed, by the time the Yamato was sunk it had 162 25mm AA guns mounted on it. lovely AA guns, but AA nonetheless.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Is this the same massive AA shell that was basically a beehive of incendiary tubes and shrapnel approximating the world's biggest Dragon's Breath-style shotgun shell?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

At least the Japanese apparently noticed the uselessness of that endeavor and made some adjustments to the Yamato's defenses. If Wikipedia's to be believed, by the time the Yamato was sunk it had 162 25mm AA guns mounted on it. lovely AA guns, but AA nonetheless.

Shieldless mounts with lousy ammo supply, slow traverse, and a crew of 9 for 3x25mm. That's what you get when you just plunk down guns wherever they'll fit; gun shields would be too much extra topweight, and the ammo has to come from far away. That mount can't be much lighter than a twin 40mm and once the ready use ammunition is gone, it is just sitting there until someone brings up a few more rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcBW2r8-abk

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
someone's gonna have a story of a B-17 landing with a clean 18" hole through it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

That is heartbreaking.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
what movie/tv show is that from?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HannibalBarca posted:

what movie/tv show is that from?

I assume the film Yamato?

E not being sarcastic l, that's my best guess but I don't know. The plot synopsis appears to be Das Boot in a battleship which sounds grim as hell.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean, it's not like Japan really had much better than the Type 3 shells anyways, even with their lovely construction. Even late war their ships were mostly protected by either increasing quantities of subpar 25mm AA guns, which as a caliber was wholly inadequate by that time, various versions of 127mm DP mounts, or goddamn machine guns. The 40mm AA guns that became relatively standard for everyone else as the small caliber of choice had still barely reached the prototyping stage by the end of the war. And Japan's 127mm DP mounts had serious issues with their reloading method anyways, along with elevation and tracking rates.

The one unilaterally good AA gun they had, the 100mm Type 98, was only being produced in limited quantities and ended up mounted on only one capital ship, Taiho, while all other turrets were either on destroyers (+1 light cruiser) or shore batteries. Additionally, them being incredibly late to the RADAR game massively compounded all these issues, as did the reliability of timed and proximity fuses on any sort of shell that used those.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

mllaneza posted:

Shieldless mounts with lousy ammo supply, slow traverse, and a crew of 9 for 3x25mm. That's what you get when you just plunk down guns wherever they'll fit; gun shields would be too much extra topweight, and the ammo has to come from far away. That mount can't be much lighter than a twin 40mm and once the ready use ammunition is gone, it is just sitting there until someone brings up a few more rounds.

You should probably have saved this for a year or two down the road...

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I was unaware the IJN had proximity fuses at all.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

mllaneza posted:

To put it into perspective by this point the allies were uniformally switching to 40mm Bofors mounts, on later British ships these were auto-loading, auto-tracking and radar guided sextuple mounts. Radar guided quick firing 133mm's were also used as a combined secondary battery although the more reliable radar proximity fuses for them came a bit late but they still had moderately effective timed fuses prior to that. Considering how effective the Japanese were in the early war with air ops against heavy shipping they were very slow to recognise the threat against their own ships. They covered there own ships in guns which thanks to the struggles of the air force they already knew were mostly ineffective against allied aircraft.

Hell the Royal Navy ordered 40mm pom-pom's for anti-aircraft use back in 1915, using 25mm's 30 years later was just... Really?

OK, there is an awful lot of 'in hindsight' when it comes to WW2 discussion but still, the Japanese were quite incredible in ignoring the lessons they were teaching the Allies during the early war.

An 8x40mm 'pom-pom' mount, as used by British battleships from 1930 on-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_2-pounder_naval_gun#/media/File:MkVIIIpompomsHMSRodney1940.jpg

Even these had some shielding, although not enough to counter the rate of aircraft development.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TildeATH posted:

That is heartbreaking.

That's absolutely everything that happens in the Pacific War from say, November 1944 on. I mean the outcome was never really in doubt before, but by '45 it's plainly clear that even if the IJA can fight successful delaying actions, that's just more time for the USAAF to bomb every Japanese city out of existence. Especially so by March when firebombing destroys like a third of Tokyo in one night.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I was unaware the IJN had proximity fuses at all.

They did not.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

PittTheElder posted:

They did not.

Nope, what they had was a guy who climbed inside the AA shell and manually detonated it at the time he thought it would do the most damage.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Shoot me closer so I can hit this helldiver with my sword.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

whitewhale posted:

To put it into perspective by this point the allies were uniformally switching to 40mm Bofors mounts, on later British ships these were auto-loading, auto-tracking and radar guided sextuple mounts.
And Chrysler was pumping out crazy amounts of those Bofors guns, while making them lighter, more reliable, and increasing the firing rate from 120 to 140 rounds per minute.

http://www.allpar.com/history/military/bofors.html

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Grey Hunter posted:

Nope, what they had was a guy who climbed inside the AA shell and manually detonated it at the time he thought it would do the most damage.

The worst part is that I can't tell if this is a joke or not. That absolutely sounds like late war Japan.

Edit: "The project continued even after testing revealed that the human fuze was usually killed when the gun was fired. The only known kill of the type 69 antiaircraft shell came on July 22, 1945, when one flew into a flock of geese."

McNally fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 18, 2017

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
what the gently caress, Japan

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

McNally posted:

Edit: "The project continued even after testing revealed that the human fuze was usually killed when the gun was fired. The only known kill of the type 69 antiaircraft shell came on July 22, 1945, when one flew into a flock of geese."

Source, because I cannot believe this is real.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tiler Kiwi posted:

what the gently caress, Japan

Quinntan posted:

Source, because I cannot believe this is real.

Late War Japan was pretty crazy but they weren't literally Orks, come on now.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Its not real. C'mon guys. Nobody could survive the G-forces of a shell being fired. We're talking G forces of 10,000+ Gs.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Our levels bombers manage to hit something. Why they are not targeting the closer troops transports I don't know.

This is not bad shooting for two planes.

Once again we see how this game overvalues terrain.

This is a nice change.

Liberators are falling from the skies today.

All around, its a good day for our planes.

Look at those air kills!

We confirm an old kill.

Saint Celestine posted:

Its not real. C'mon guys. Nobody could survive the G-forces of a shell being fired. We're talking G forces of 10,000+ Gs.

It says something about Japan that such a blatant joke could be considered truth.....

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Late War Japan was pretty crazy but they weren't literally Orks, come on now.

Tell me that this isn't Orky as gently caress. :colbert:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

That is a H, not a R. :colbert: But the concept is very orkish, I agree.

Enjoying the LP Grey, thank you for keeping up with it. Grey Jr is adorable, nice job on him as well.

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 18, 2017

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

''Ohka K-1
Suicide attack training glider. ''

'Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

whitewhale posted:

''Ohka K-1
Suicide attack training glider. ''

'Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once'.

Silly anime featuring an Ohka pilot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdEOysneneU
Note how at 11:48 the gaijin pilots refer to it as a "cherry blossom" rather than the historical nickname.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 19, 2017