Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
The new transfer for Tampopo is :magical:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_75/tampopo_blu-ray.htm

Edit: Some screenshots NSFW

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

They picked some interesting shots as examples.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I think this is a blind buy for me.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

I Before E posted:

They picked some interesting shots as examples.

Ah, the dvdbeaver special technique: screenshot the titties

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I mean they're called "dvdbeaver" what did you expect?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Spatulater bro! posted:

I think this is a blind buy for me.

It is an amazing movie

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not directly Criterion-related, but has anyone seen Massacre Gun? It's directed by one of Seijin Suzuki's ADs and Arrow has a nice release that B&N has for half off at the moment. Was wondering if it was worth a blind buy.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Its ok, personally I would buy it tho just because of the cover art on the Blu ray.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can appreciate the genesis and general thoughts behind the idea of the films in the Before Trilogy, but sadly it very much worked out to be just not the types of movies I have any interest in. I watched all three and know for certain I will never watch them again.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I can appreciate the genesis and general thoughts behind the idea of the films in the Before Trilogy, but sadly it very much worked out to be just not the types of movies I have any interest in. I watched all three and know for certain I will never watch them again.

cool

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

So I guess we're getting Point Break then.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Clearly this means we're getting both seasons of Smash.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo!

Or maybe Curtiz's The Breaking Point.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

ComradeCosmobot posted:

young dumb and full of graphite

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Saw the new remaster of Tampopo in theaters tonight itnwas amazing. The crowd loved it too. One of my better movie going experiences. It helped there was a ramen place a block away.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
sup Boogy

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

im glad theyll finally be putting l'argent out, it changed my life seeing it theatrically when i was 18 and the new yorker release is pretty dreadful. hope they do lancelot next although i think theres dcps of une femme douce and four nights of a dreamer so those seem more likely.

lost in america rules too

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

L'Argent and Stalker are definite buys. The others are also likely. A really great month.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my longest yeah boy ever

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Any signifigance to the spine no. #888?

Probably going to be unable to watch it until it goes on sale.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Any signifigance to the spine no. #888?

Probably going to be unable to watch it until it goes on sale.

You're in luck, then, as it'll be 50% off at Barnes & Noble upon its release during their July sale.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I was trying to find information about a possible Blu-Ray version of Lost in America recently, so I am super glad that it's being released in July.

I really hope this means Modern Romance will find its way to Criterion.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Spatulater bro! posted:

L'Argent and Stalker are definite buys. The others are also likely. A really great month.

I've been waiting for a Criterion Stalker for years. Had my preorder placed within two minutes of the e-mail alert showing up on my computer. I'd like to make a clean sweep of everything they're announcing this time, but they won't sell me the drat things for five bucks each.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

I was trying to find information about a possible Blu-Ray version of Lost in America recently, so I am super glad that it's being released in July.

I really hope this means Modern Romance will find its way to Criterion.

More importantly, Real Life.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
it's loving gorgeous

https://vimeo.com/213701012

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

this needs to be in my bluray player already

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

God drat. Stalker is such a fascinating movie.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Holy poo poo that's beautiful, hopefully they do Solaris one day too

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Vesi posted:

Holy poo poo that's beautiful, hopefully they do Solaris one day too

You mean a full restoration? There's already a Criterion blu.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Criterion give me a Tarkovsky box set. I do not mind rebuying Solaris and Ivan's Childhood, thanks.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Criminal Minded posted:

You mean a full restoration? There's already a Criterion blu.

Yeah, the bluray is decent but the quality drop is noticeable compared so some of the recent restorations and that trailer.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion is delaying Othello. It was going to be released on May 23rd. No new date yet.

It would be neat if the delay is because of them getting Filming Othello, but it's possible it's just taking longer for the restoration (as was the case with McCabe & Mrs. Miller).

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Tommy_Udo
Apr 16, 2017

Don't know if Blast of Silence has been mentioned in the past 200+ pages, but I can't recommend it enough.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Picked up I Married A Witch yesterday. It's charmingly funny.

"He murdered me in the first degree. Would you mind calling the authorities?"

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Filmstruck app for the Fire TV got an update. It adds in-app billing, Amazon catalog integration, Improved search/browse features according to the update log.

And I've been hearing May/June for the Roku app.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Picked up Akira Kurosawa's Dreams criterion blu-ray recently and man that's a beautiful film. I've always loved the film and it looks really nice on blu-ray. Highly recommended!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

mod sassinator posted:

Picked up Akira Kurosawa's Dreams criterion blu-ray recently and man that's a beautiful film. I've always loved the film and it looks really nice on blu-ray. Highly recommended!

That was one of my few blind-bought Criterions, and I've only watched it once but it really stuck with me. It's such a shame that Kurosawa didn't have at least a few more opportunities to work with color, he was so great at it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

You could literally teach a different class for every shot of that movie. Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

The Filmstruck app for the Fire TV got an update. It adds in-app billing, Amazon catalog integration, Improved search/browse features according to the update log.

thank god.