Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

baka kaba posted:

They go to little English colonies in hot countries where everything's covered in union jacks. Same with expats, a lot of them move to a "community" where their entire social circle can be other British people (and english-speaking expats from other countries if they're feeling adventurous)

In the progressive and inclusive internationalist spirit of diversity and multiculturalism I would like the thread to join me in celebrating these British communities maintaining their minority ethnic culture against an oppressive assimilationist metropole.

EDIT: tubby pupper no bully plz

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

kapparomeo posted:

In the progressive and inclusive internationalist spirit of diversity and multiculturalism I would like the thread to join me in celebrating these British all communities, regardless of colour or religion, maintaining their minority ethnic culture against an oppressive assimilationist metropole.

You mistyped some of that. I fixed it for you in an inclusive way.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

Anything other than the store's own brand bread is borgoueise excess, except for M&S in which case even own brand is borgoueise excess.

Plus Hovis is just nicer.

M&S bread is totally bourgeois excess. On the other hand, the stone baked pavé is absolutely gorgeous. I'm willing to accept my place against the wall for that, good bread is worth it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would also venture the opinion that spending a bit extra on nice bread is fine as it can substitute for other treats and works out cheaper that way. Good bread is one of life's best things.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

I've never had the best luck with the ladies, so finding one who fancied me in 1994 and has suffered through one poo poo marriage and has just sacked off her second terrible marriage to be with me... severing is never going to happen

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I don't get why libertarians of any stripe would have anything positive to say about a PM who is most famous for state aggression and pushing forward vast quantities of laws and prohibitions.

It's purely because libertarians are loving stupid. That's it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
British culture would have to exist before it could be defended against an oppressive majority

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I would also venture the opinion that spending a bit extra on nice bread is fine as it can substitute for other treats and works out cheaper that way. Good bread is one of life's best things.
The Co-Op does some good baked breads and even fancy ones with peppers and stuff. And (for the Central England Co-operative at least) it's owned and democratically controlled by its members. And as someone mentioned earlier if you go in just before closing you can get those breads cheap if there's any left.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

kapparomeo posted:

In the progressive and inclusive internationalist spirit of diversity and multiculturalism I would like the thread to join me in celebrating these British communities maintaining their minority ethnic culture against an oppressive assimilationist metropole.

EDIT: tubby pupper no bully plz

I mention English colonies and look who pops up all excited and wagging his tail

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

British culture would have to exist before it could be defended against an oppressive majority

Penicillin was originally a British culture. (Also related to bread chat.)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Fresh bread is delicious, especially Co-op/Morrisons/M&S fresh bread, and anyone who goes back to eating standard packaged Hovis after that is a disgrace.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The Co-Op does some good baked breads and even fancy ones with peppers and stuff. And (for the Central England Co-operative at least) it's owned and democratically controlled by its members. And as someone mentioned earlier if you go in just before closing you can get those breads cheap if there's any left.

We don't have one nearby, alas. Also while discount food is nice, discount bread is usually stale and not very nice.

I usually go to Morrisons for bread.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The point they sell it off cheap at, it's fine for supper and the next day's breakfast and probably dinner too. It's 'we can't sell this as freshly baked bread tomorrow' bread, not 'we can't in good conscience sell this tomorrow' bread.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

British culture exists tho?

E: this is a weird argument to try and make.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

nothing to seehere posted:

Fresh bread is delicious, especially Co-op/Morrisons/M&S fresh bread, and anyone who goes back to eating standard packaged Hovis after that is a disgrace.

Eh, sometimes you just fancy some toast, and I always felt that toasting nice bread just feels like a waste. But otherwise, yes.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I've never had the best luck with the ladies, so finding one who fancied me in 1994 and has suffered through one poo poo marriage and has just sacked off her second terrible marriage to be with me... severing is never going to happen

Do you sometimes wonder why the other marriages broke down

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Iceland actually does a really nice packaged sliced crusty loaf that is perfect for making toast. But aye, I can't resist a good fresh loaf.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

oh no, I've asked. Apparently both made cheating look like an olympic sport but with prostitutes and strippers. Also current husband apparently throw the mother of all fits because a bottle of vinegar fell out of the cupboard and broke, so screamed at his two year old daughter like it was her fault

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

Don't be weird dude

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Bread is awesome, but it's too high in calories and goes bad too fast to be able to eat it at a reasonable pace as a single person.

The M&S fresh farmhouse white is lovely though, and at £1 I'd say it's a bargain.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Here it is, the worst hot take of the day.

https://twitter.com/andyburnhammp/status/854035829643255808

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Namtab posted:

Don't be weird dude

it's ok. The first wedding was done at lunch, and for the second her husband hosed off to watch the football during the reception and didn't come back. Even her second husband's parents have been telling her to leave him because he's a loving wanker

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The point they sell it off cheap at, it's fine for supper and the next day's breakfast and probably dinner too. It's 'we can't sell this as freshly baked bread tomorrow' bread, not 'we can't in good conscience sell this tomorrow' bread.

In theory yes but I find with the silly hole punched plastic wrap they use, it's gone pretty rock hard over the course of the day. You can eat it, but if I want edible bread I'd just get a normal loaf.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Private Speech posted:

Well the definition GBS expats who hate being called immigrants usually advance is that expats are from more 'desirable' countries than the ones they are moving to.

I wonder if that means that who is or isn't expat depends on how they like the country they're from, or is it like a general consensus thing.

e: The real answer is probably more like this of course.

I always figured that immigrants were people who moved to another country permanently with a view toward becoming citizens, and expats were people living in another country temporarily.

"Migrant worker' seems to be the downgraded version of expat used for people from poor countries.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

In theory yes but I find with the silly hole punched plastic wrap they use, it's gone pretty rock hard over the course of the day. You can eat it, but if I want edible bread I'd just get a normal loaf.
I guess that depends on the type of bread. I've normally done it with unsliced crusty loaves or small packs of cobs/baps/rolls/roundabouts, wrapped in brown paper or plastic wrap. I can imagine fresh baked standard sliced bread goes stale fast like that, but I just get normal bread for that.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

OwlFancier posted:

Unfortunately you need to have the hole punched wrap to allow the heat of a fresh loaf to dissipate properly and the for the bread to get the perfect texture as quickly as possible without going soggy in the morning. Properly paper wrapped bread is better for both maintaining the texture and allowing it not to go too hard, but few places do this any more. Fresh bread is pretty terribly stored in supermarkets though.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

British culture exists tho?

E: this is a weird argument to try and make.

Yeah it exists. It's just it usually consists of being obnoxious. We can't even claim to make good comedies anymore. When was the last good British comedy? What the gently caress happened there? It's a wasteland.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

forkboy84 posted:

Eh, sometimes you just fancy some toast, and I always felt that toasting nice bread just feels like a waste. But otherwise, yes.

Is this a confession of toast terrorism?

Aldi's malted bloomer is good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

it's ok. The first wedding was done at lunch, and for the second her husband hosed off to watch the football during the reception and didn't come back. Even her second husband's parents have been telling her to leave him because he's a loving wanker

What match?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skinty McEdger posted:

Unfortunately you need to have the hole punched wrap to allow the heat of a fresh loaf to dissipate properly and the for the bread to get the perfect texture as quickly as possible without going soggy in the morning. Properly paper wrapped bread is better for both maintaining the texture and allowing it not to go too hard, but few places do this any more. Fresh bread is pretty terribly stored in supermarkets though.

Yeah I know why they do it, it just means it's a bit minging unless you get it fresh and put it in a poly bag when you get home.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Whoever's gran didn't like people speaking foreign because she didn't know what they were saying was right to worry, talking rudely about people in a language they don't understand is one of the perks of being multilingual.

Of course everyone is talking about her behind her back in English too.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The Labour policy blitz continues - plans to increase the carers allowance by £10 a week, funded by reversing cuts to inheritance tax.

Meanwhile the MP in charge of drowning out positive announcements this week is Neil Coyle, who has been reported to the Chief Whip for apparently repeatedly abusing party staff, and has decided to loudly defend himself in the media.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
Welcome to Late Night UKMT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZJDYlxkM-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWIEana3jQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs

Intrinsic Field Marshal fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 18, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

jabby posted:

The Labour policy blitz continues - plans to increase the carers allowance by £10 a week, funded by reversing cuts to inheritance tax.

Meanwhile the MP in charge of drowning out positive announcements this week is Neil Coyle, who has been reported to the Chief Whip for apparently repeatedly abusing party staff, and has decided to loudly defend himself in the media.

It is sad that these policies must wither on the corbynista vine.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
These policies! So good.... but.... I can't vote for them because Corbyn is their leader... and... I don't.... agree with his policies.

*Void at the centre of everything intensifies*

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

namesake posted:

Soros is such an odd feature of modern fascism; literally the Emmanuel Goldstein of the world today.

It's fair enough to criticise how he makes money (financiers do make their money through exploitation after all) and even rebuff his philanthropy from that pot of money because of its source but nope, he's got his fingers in all the pies everywhere, every crash is orchestrated by him, every leftwing or liberal demo funded. Literally paranoid delusions of the boogeyman.

More of a 21th century replacement for the Rothschilds imho.

Did Glenn Beck start that trend? He was banging on about Soros being the string pulling evil genius behind everything the Tea Partiers hated more than a decade ago.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
Why does Corbyn look like such like a teacher on a school trip?

He looks like he should be teaching Of Mice and Men to a bored group of year 9 students imo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Regarde Aduck posted:

These policies! So good.... but.... I can't vote for them because Corbyn is their leader... and... I don't.... agree with his policies.

*Void at the centre of everything intensifies*

I like the void

Lots of leg room

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
he looks like he killed a man and flushed him down the loo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Kurtofan posted:

he looks like he killed a man and flushed him down the loo
The little notice mentions goldfish and sweaters but has nothing to say about freshly dead corpses so the train company has no right to complain.

• Locked thread