Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Apple has decided that if WiFi is good enough for one of your devices, it's good enough for all (if you use iCloud). Only way around it in your case would be to turn off WiFi on your phone when you get to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I bought some Solo3's in flat black at Best Buy on Saturday and with Amazon price match they were $159 plus tax. They sound better than my old Studio wired Beats and the W1 features are cool.

I also have some Powerbeats 2 that I got at an overstock store for $50 which I like quite a bit. I am neither a gangsta or thug.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I bought some Solo3's in flat black at Best Buy on Saturday and with Amazon price match they were $159 plus tax. They sound better than my old Studio wired Beats and the W1 features are cool.
Jesus $159 on Amazon. $299 in store. It's a shame stores will only price match the exact color. I kinda want red ones.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Beats x seem like the better option (including sound), but the power beats 3 have the ear hooks

Anyone have any issue with the beats x falling out at all? At the gym? When running? A review I saw said they seal better in your ear than the PB3 and block more ambient noise.

The PB3 are $150 normally in black, other colors are $200. Black is $130, and the others I think are $160. The x are $150 normally in any color and $120. Still not sure if this is a sale or just new price. The x using a lighting cable to charge is pretty dope

so yeah prob just gonna get those thanks for reading

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I think the AirPods sound better, but close to how the original EarPods sounded. I swear the original EarPods that came out in 2012 were leagues better than the ones that came with the iPhone 6. I accidentally washed the pair I bought in 2013 and pulled out the brand new pair that came with my 6 and thought I somehow got a knock-off pair.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Beats x seem like the better option (including sound), but the power beats 3 have the ear hooks

Anyone have any issue with the beats x falling out at all? At the gym? When running? A review I saw said they seal better in your ear than the PB3 and block more ambient noise.

The PB3 are $150 normally in black, other colors are $200. Black is $130, and the others I think are $160. The x are $150 normally in any color and $120. Still not sure if this is a sale or just new price. The x using a lighting cable to charge is pretty dope

so yeah prob just gonna get those thanks for reading

I actually have problems with my PowerBeats falling out but I have learned that I have weird shaped ears.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I actually have problems with my PowerBeats falling out but I have learned that I have weird shaped ears.

lol do the airpods/iphone 7 headphones fit in your ears? Because man those things are atrocious in mine. You have to crank volume to hear poo poo, doesn't stay in, plastic puts pressure on certain spots

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 18, 2017

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Endless Mike posted:

Yes when people type "gangsta" they are definitely being race-neutral.

The term applies to anyone who covers themselves in fake bling and talks like a poor caricature of a rapper. There are innumerable white kids who do this, and they invariably accessorise with beats headphones. The comment I made is no different to me making a similar remark about goths, or emos, or furries or any other stupid rebellious subculture. Your life would be easier if you stopped going out of your way to find a reason to be offended about stupid poo poo.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Are Beat Xs better than Air Pods? For a podcast listener? Also does the "this thing can tell if you're only using it one ear" feature of the Air pods actually work? Can you do the "find my headphones" thing with beat X?

Just curious, I don't have either $115 or $160 to spare on headphones at the moment.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

The Lord Bude posted:

The term applies to anyone who covers themselves in fake bling and talks like a poor caricature of a rapper. There are innumerable white kids who do this, and they invariably accessorise with beats headphones. The comment I made is no different to me making a similar remark about goths, or emos, or furries or any other stupid rebellious subculture. Your life would be easier if you stopped going out of your way to find a reason to be offended about stupid poo poo.

Your life would be easier if you stopped giving a poo poo about what other people buy or how they dress. It is different but it's not a debate I'm going to get into in the iPhone thread.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

:laffo:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

Jesus $159 on Amazon. $299 in store. It's a shame stores will only price match the exact color. I kinda want red ones.

Walmart has them for $160, Amazon is price matching them. Walmart has the red on sale but they're sold out.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

wait so which colour iphone is most "gangsta"
asking for a friend

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The red one of course. Conceals the blood stains.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I want the red ones but live in a Democrat neighborhood.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

xzzy posted:

The red one of course. Conceals the blood stains.

lil homie got shot for his RED iPhone smh

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol do the airpods/iphone 7 headphones fit in your ears? Because man those things are atrocious in mine. You have to crank volume to hear poo poo, doesn't stay in, plastic puts pressure on certain spots

No, very few earbuds work in my ears and stay in.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

mfny posted:

Greetings iPhone thread..

Bought a used iPhone 5c at a local second hand store. Did not notice in store but once I got home I noticed a rather large amount of the yellow tinted border around edges of screen issue present which is apparently something that can happen to iPhone 5's over time. Is this indeed just something that happens to iPhone 5s and is "luck of the draw" ? in which case a replacement may or may not be better/worse then what I have or what ?

So I got my phone replaced, took the opportunity to upgrade a bit to a 5S(and pay the extra) while I was at it and the replacement is better thankfully. Am happy enough for now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The iphone 7 battery use when Bluetooth us on (not paired to anything) is negligible-to-none, correct? I thought I read that somewhere

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yep

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Mind my ignorance but is that a w1 chip thing or just always how BT has been?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nope W1 is a new thing for headphones. The BT in iPhones has been pretty low energy for a long time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nope W1 is a new thing for headphones. The BT in iPhones has been pretty low energy for a long time.

:sad:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah, this. I think the chipset since like 2012 has been really energy efficient. Like "a device can be powered by a watch battery for 11 months" efficient.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bluetooth LE was part of the Bluetooth 4.0 spec. The fist phone anywhere to use it was the iPhone 4S. Bluetooth LE was a tremendous leap forward and enabled a ton of cool poo poo because of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_low_energy

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My wife's 6s+ has been acting up lately (apps hanging at the splash screen, general slowdown, etc.). Backup/restore is the general catch-all fix to try before taking it to the Apple store, right?

And does that fix generally only work if you're restoring from iCloud? I'd prefer to use an encrypted iTunes backup so she stays signed in to everything and it's pretty seamless.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

iTunes encrypted is the way to go if you're purposefully doing a backup/restore.
It'll keep health data / wifi / accounts etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Minidust posted:

My wife's 6s+ has been acting up lately (apps hanging at the splash screen, general slowdown, etc.). Backup/restore is the general catch-all fix to try before taking it to the Apple store, right?

And does that fix generally only work if you're restoring from iCloud? I'd prefer to use an encrypted iTunes backup so she stays signed in to everything and it's pretty seamless.

The Apple Store will make you backup and restore as a first step, anyway, so may as well do it on your own.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Got a mail comment:

I always have "load remote images" turned off so spammers can't verify opening emails - what they do is link a unique picture in an email and if the image loads, they know that email address is "good".

I recently turned on "fetch" and when I checked a spam message, it appears to have loaded a remote image anyways, to my chagrin. If it was in-line there would be a little "attachment" paperclip icon next to it.

So bottom line is that it seems like if you use "fetch" rather than "push" remote images get automatically loaded - and that's not good. I double checked and had linked images specifically set to not load.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spammers don't give a poo poo if your address is confirmed real or not. They fire that poo poo out regardless.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

Spammers don't give a poo poo if your address is confirmed real or not. They fire that poo poo out regardless.

I was always told that image loads are tracked and end up putting you on a spammer super-short list. (Not saying that's right or wrong but that's just what I've been told.)

And of course the spam comes in on my main account email that can NEVER be modified. 😖 I do already have a filter where anything addressed to my main address or BCCed or to "unlisted" or a semicolon goes into a little quarantine folder. That's set server side on iCloud.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

I was always told that image loads are tracked and end up putting you on a spammer super-short list. (Not saying that's right or wrong but that's just what I've been told.)

It's true. Then those verified lists are worth more than whatever garbage they can scrape the web for.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think that if it get really bad I'll contact Apple support and have them completely delete my account and start over from scratch (will lose some purchases from that but not much.)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I use these guys for my email: http://www.tuffmail.com/

Pricing is pretty fair if you're OK with paying ~$30/yr for email (their storage is anemic but they give me free storage every time I ask nicely), but their spam filtering really is somethin' else. I've used the same email address since 2006, and I use it for everything and everywhere, and I get practically 0 spam in my Inbox, and I've never had a message miscategorized as spam. Sometimes something does slip through, but you can just move it into an auto-train folder and categorize it as spam and it goes away for the future. They've been down twice in those ~11 years that I can recall, for short periods of time. They've probably been down more but I didn't check my email. They have your typical high-reliability failover offsite yada yada, and a full plan for all customer data in case the business has to shut down. The spam filter is a little tough to set up at first and their user interface is totally from the 90s, but they give you a lot of control.

Not shilling for 'em, don't even know where their HQ is, just a satisfied customer. Everyone around me has problems with email, I never do.

Violator
May 15, 2003

mfny posted:

So I got my phone replaced, took the opportunity to upgrade a bit to a 5S(and pay the extra) while I was at it and the replacement is better thankfully. Am happy enough for now.

Glad it worked out for you. The upgrade to the 5S is probably well worth it for the performance.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just use Gmail. If spam makes its way into my inbox I'm very, very surprised.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I just use Gmail. If spam makes its way into my inbox I'm very, very surprised.

Well Gmail is free so they don't really owe you anything w.r.t. safekeeping your data, any kind of SLA, etc. It's a *good* free option, but I'm skeptical of anything that's so important yet given away for free. There's always a catch. I don't care if Googlebot reads my mail, spam filtering needs to read your mail too, but if there's an issue with Gmail you are stuck.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've used gmail since it first became a thing and I honestly can't remember ever having even the tiniest issue.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Same here. I wonder how Tuffmail stays around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Why would there be an issue? They are taking all your data and agreed to give access to the American govt., too. It's not free. You pay with your privacy. This is an established, well known thing.