Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I lease a Honda. It has Apple CarPlay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My engine and gearbox are so simple I can hit things with a hammer or change the spark plugs and it generally starts up again. If it won't I can get it fixed for free at the local college. (They love using things that don't need plugging in to a computer as teaching tools)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Homemade knock-off Lancia just throws up all sorts of red flags even for me.

It couldn't possibly be less reliable or more poorly built than the real one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of Group B, anyone got any good videos to digest? I need some.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

iospace posted:

Speaking of Group B, anyone got any good videos to digest? I need some.

"Too fast to race" is probably the quintessential one. It's on YouTube.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Theophany posted:

And yet I can't get him into F1 beyond 'if Ferrari win it's good.'

Stop trying to harm your dad.

Are you Jos the Boss?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Gigi Galli posted:

Was going to recommend this.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

Pretty much, there's also Group B the Ultimate Rally that was filmed at the time

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I remember watching an old Rover dealer video where they were comparing the Volvo to whatever crap they had up against it and the loops they were jumping through to try and make the Volvo look like the lesser car was pretty funny.

I wonder why DeDion rears weren't used more often in sportier cars. It's arguably superior to semi trailing arms despite being non-independent and doesn't take up huge amounts of space. I'd personally use double wishbones but there are cost and packaging penalties with those.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

keevo posted:

You guys see what Ted was saying about Alonso's "engine problem"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYPqGtmLtCU&t=330s

He says that maybe Alonso had an engine problem, but also that Alonso told Spanish media that he'll do everything to get to points, but retire on the last lap if he's not in the points.

Ted Kravitz is a loving moron and sky is a disgrace.

Nira Juanco is lovely.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

I really wish I'd saved my horny horner gif avatar. Since esarapalin archive died I don't think I'll see it again unless the goon who made it here still has it saved to their hard drive?

Change the last number in the filename of your current av to go back and retrieve previous avs:

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

DoctorGonzo posted:

Ted Kravitz is a loving moron and sky is a disgrace.

Nira Juanco is lovely.

Isn't this more to do with getting a penalty-free engine?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

:aaaaa:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Xisticide posted:

Change the last number in the filename of your current av to go back and retrieve previous avs:

Unironically the best post in the thread

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wasn't somone asking for a new av, if you know what I mean fellas?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

I wonder why DeDion rears weren't used more often in sportier cars. It's arguably superior to semi trailing arms despite being non-independent and doesn't take up huge amounts of space. I'd personally use double wishbones but there are cost and packaging penalties with those.

I think it's pretty much as you said it. Its in this awkward area of being good for packaging on smaller cars where full independent suspension isn't feasible on cost or packaging grounds and on a larger RWD car nobody is going to go for anything less than full independent if they're aiming for sporty. The kind of cars it would've been incredibly good for have more or less been wiped out by the hot hatch.

It probably would've helped the British sports car cause alot if it had been employed more as opposed to basing cars on the design of a 1940s MG or Austin though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
One of the 312T variants had a DeDion rear for a time but it was abandoned. I don't know if it ever actually raced with it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

It probably would've helped the British sports car cause alot if it had been employed more as opposed to basing cars on the design of a 1940s MG or Austin though.

Britain is cool because for every good idea they had (Mid-Engine F1 cars, for example) there were 10 questionable or bad ones (<Insert British Leyland product here>). Even Lotus wasn't immune.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hehe and I drive a late model BMW M3. Societal tiers established. I guess I'm better at life than forums

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I own a MR2, 240SX and Integra. They impress nobody and I don't care.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 18, 2017

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tony Montana posted:

hehe and I drive a late model BMW M3. Societal tiers established. I guess I'm better at life than forums

Hey cool that's also the car my weed dealer drives

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

I own a MR2, 240SX and Integra. They impress nobody and I don't care.

What gen mr2?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tony Montana posted:

Congrats.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

oliwan posted:

Hey cool that's also the car my weed dealer drives

LOL same

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
it's not. I assure you ;)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tony Montana posted:

Did you get the M+ trim package?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what that is. It's got the M trim because its an M? Has a cool gear knob and steering wheel too?

Nah it's a great car. Didn't realize the difference, always thought it might be a bit of Euro wank and high servicing bills. Not true at all, it's engineered to a level that made my Holden before it look like a Flinstone's car.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

He also drives a 92 NSX :shrug:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If I was still in the UK I'd ask for his number heh

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

AMERICA

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You're a Yank? No. It's not possible. Noooooooooooooooooo

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/takiinoue/status/853646734026838017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Xisticide posted:

I think I understand what that means. Thanks.

:toxx: clause:

If Vettel wins the WDC or Merc wins the WCC then I'll rebuy Horny Horner as my AV for the off season (if not longer).

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

keevo posted:

You guys see what Ted was saying about Alonso's "engine problem"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYPqGtmLtCU&t=330s

He says that maybe Alonso had an engine problem, but also that Alonso told Spanish media that he'll do everything to get to points, but retire on the last lap if he's not in the points.

Yes Ted is annoying, but I also thought Alonso's retirement was very fishy. He even waited right until Hamilton was lapping him to have his 'failure' for maximum TV exposure.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm the transparency indicator.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

learnincurve posted:

I had an ex-boyfriend who wasted tens of thousands on eBay and dodgy dealer shitboxes with 130k+ miles on the clock, and would insist that it was how well the car was looked after not the mileage*, and say I was but a silly woman who knew nothing when I said he was a loving idiot to buy anything off eBay or that dodgy place down the road with more than 30k on the clock with no warrenties, and that I was one to talk as my glorious and outstanding classic ford had well over 130k on the clock so I was a hypocrite. Then the shitboxes would go bang within 4 miles of him picking it up. (No joke, four cars never made it home in less than a month).

*this is true, but you also have to know stuff like what a big end is and not be a gullible twat.
See, if you stayed in Australia you could've been a happy bogan in an ex-taxi Falcon or Commodore :)

Tony Montana posted:

That indeed explains a lot about yourself. Enjoy the repair bills when the lovely plastic cooling parts disintegrate in the Australian heat.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Did they fix the multiple engines in one weekend penalty clause? I have a feeling there's a reason Button couldn't give a gently caress about getting into the car before the event and it's because his job is to go out, run a couple installation laps and then just go back to the garage so they can bolt in the next engine.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hehe no the other way my friend. your the guy thats all OH LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT EURO CARS when they actually own

Also live in Melbourne because gently caress 40 degree days. It's not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is BMW the one where plastic fusilli starts coming out the rad and jam up the water pump?

• Locked thread