Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm sorry that I took basic knowledge about these characters and used it to construct a hypothetical scene that makes sense and is entertaining. I really should've known better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry that I took basic knowledge about these characters and used it to construct a hypothetical scene that makes sense and is entertaining. I really should've known better.

And, yet, I still can not stress enough how good Gotham Knight is. And, no, not just in retrospect, not just compared to the rest of this horse poo poo, Gotham Knight is drat fine movie.

edit:

I feel like being more positive, so for no reason whatsoever here's the hour-long playlist I'm into right now, just to pay forward some good tunes

1) Poker Face - Vitamin String Quartet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Jb_WCWzwo
2) Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Guns N' Roses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5WIGx3OVdM
3) Il Vento, Il Grido (Titoli) - Ennio Morricone
4) Girl of the North Country - Howard Tate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2GYIxOMHBo
5) MC Battle - Busy Bee Vs. Rodney Cee
6) Heatwave (Goldberg Remix) - Bronski Beat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KOkIDdVJVk
7) Blue Monday (Jam & Spoon Manuella Mix) - New Order
8) Never Let You Go - DJ Seduction
9) Time of My Life - Macy Gray
10) Call My Name - Prince
11) Hostile Gospel Pt. 1 (Deliver Us) - Talib Kweli https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgbOCdiW0DY
12) Yead Dats Me - Big K.R.I.T. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR9LhEXVTp0
13) Bound 2 - Kanye West featuring Charlie Wilson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBAtAM7vtgc
14) Body for the Pile - clipping. featuring SICKNESS

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 18, 2017

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What can I say, Space Rastafarian John Travolta is funnier than anything in the three Wes Anderson movies I've seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xACbVe7o9Rs

Which ones would those be?

E: Never mind, you should watch Rushmore if you liked Tenenbaums

I Before E fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 17, 2017

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Knocking On Heaven's Door is the reason Kiefer Sutherland gave me a thumbs up so I'm down with that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Moonrise Kingdom (okay at best)
Royal Tenenbaums (liked it, but can't remember much about it)
The Life Aquatic (I hate it)

Fantastic Mr Fox

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Fantastic Mr Fox

Jesus no

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

What? What kind of monster doesn't like Fantastic Mr fox???

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The only Anderson I plain don't like is Darjeeling Limit which is a dramatically inert bore. I don't love Life Aquatic either but it's got enough to recommend it for fans of his other work, and I really like or love everything else of his I've seen - which, now that I finally watched Rushmore this weekend, is everything except Bottle Rocket.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Fantastic Mr. fox is Anderson's best movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So apparently now Alex Jones is claiming to be a performance artist who is just playing a character, mainly because the stuff he's said is now being used against him in a child custody hearing. Between this and the Warner Bros having to prove that ghosts are real lawsuit, this is turning out to a be a pretty good year in terms of lawsuits.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Spatulater bro! posted:

Fuckin exactly

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Rushmore. But Mr Fox was really, really good. Seconding Darjeeling as his only flop, but I also wasn't a huge fan of Grand Budapest. There's probably enough connective tissue between the two of them to explain why neither worked for me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

glam rock hamhock posted:

So apparently now Alex Jones is claiming to be a performance artist who is just playing a character, mainly because the stuff he's said is now being used against him in a child custody hearing. Between this and the Warner Bros having to prove that ghosts are real lawsuit, this is turning out to a be a pretty good year in terms of lawsuits.

I think my favorite lawsuit is still Universal suing Nintendo claiming copyright infringement with Donkey Kong, arguing that it owned King Kong, when it had successfully argued in court a few years earlier that King Kong was in the public domain.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/854059097502699520

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I Accuse My Parents and Teenage Crime Wave are underappreciated

I Accuse My Parents is definitely top ten.

My top three:

The Touch of Satan
Gamera vs. Guiron
Night of the Blood Beast

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Night of the Blood Beast

For some reason I blanked, but this is def' my favorite episode.

Steve?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

For some reason I blanked, but this is def' my favorite episode.

Steve?

"I've never seen a man so dead" makes me lose it every time. Also, the short before it (Once Upon a Honeymoon) is really great. Episodes with shorts were always the best.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"I've never seen a man so dead" makes me lose it every time. Also, the short before it (Once Upon a Honeymoon) is really great. Episodes with shorts were always the best.

"Hey, Mickey Rourke came over to help!"

Also, "Well, we had to snap him in two like a frozen dog..."

edit:

That episode is good for the same reason the best episodes are always good: They aren't just making fun of the phoned in content, they're inventing and getting inside the heads of characters in a better movie. "Look! A frog!"

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 17, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

"Hey, Mickey Rourke came over to help!"

Also, "Well, we had to snap him in two like a frozen dog..."

That episode has some of the grisliest humor in any MST3K but it really pulls it off.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

What? What kind of monster doesn't like Fantastic Mr fox???

It's okay, but if he hates Life Aquatic, Fantastic Mr. Fox will be far from his tastes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are some movies that are basically tone poems? Think Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, or Upstream Color. The moodier and less dialogue the better.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Did the font on the forums just change or did I gently caress up my browser somehow

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm not watching an Adam Sandler movie in 2017.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They finally remade Tommyknockers, huh.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

What are some movies that are basically tone poems? Think Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, or Upstream Color. The moodier and less dialogue the better.

manhunter

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

K. Waste posted:

So it turns out that Ringu '98 is exactly as underwhelming as I remembered it being, and despite not being masterpiece theater in its own right, the '95 TV film is way better.

Also, both because I'm a masochist and because the Ring movies technically crossover with the Grudge movies, here's what my watchlist of that franchise looks like having knocked out the first three already:

- Rasen (1998)
- The Ring Virus (1999)
- Ring 2
- Ju-on: The Curse (2000)
- Ring 0: Birthday
- Ju-on: The Curse 2
- The Ring (2002)
- Ju-on: The Grudge
- Ju-on: The Grudge 2 (2003)
- The Grudge (2004)
- Rings (2005)
- The Ring Two
- Tales from the Grudge (2006)
- The Grudge 2
- Ju-on: Black Ghost (2009)
- The Grudge 3
- Ju-on: White Ghost
- Sadako 3D (2012)
- Sadako 3D 2 (2013)
- Ju-on: The Beginning of the End (2014)
- Ju-on: The Final Curse (2015)
- Sadako vs. Kayako (2016)
- Rings (2017)

Why not just use this time to watch movies that aren't total garbage?

Coffee And Pie posted:

Freddie Prinze Jr seems like a sweetheart. I'm glad he's still with Sarah Michelle Geller. Kinda weird kids on this planet only exist bc if I Know What You Did Last Summer but ah well

I found out recently that I Know What You Did Last Summer was based on a novel. I mean, apparently the book and the film are quite different (for instance, it takes place the Southwest in a Desert town and there's not murdery fisherman). But that's still loving weird to me.

I Before E posted:

I watched RoboCop again for Easter and I was surprised how handsome pre-murder Murphy was. Young Peter Weller was pretty hot.

He has very unique, angular, and slightly feminine facial features. I'm not quite into him but I can see why you would be. His face is quite striking.

Egbert Souse posted:

Eegah, Gunslinger, The Dead Talk Back, Zombie Nightmare, Danger!! Death Ray, Racket Girls, Jack Frost, The Final Sacrifice, and Girl in Gold Boots are all perfect episodes and available on DVD/streaming.

Any of the shorts, though, are gold. Once Upon a Honeymoon is one of the best. "Hmm, what rhymes with blue balls?"

One of the arguments against MST3K has been the fact they "corrupted" films, but even as much of a purist I am with films... does anyone really want to watch The Creeping Terror or Puma Man on their own?

And for what it's worth how many of those movies would people even remember if they hadn't been on MST3K? They're single handedly responsible for Manos: The Hands of Fate being a thing that anyone even knows about.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Oh cool I saw a guy with a decal on his motorcycle helmet that said "AIDS cures fags." gently caress the Midwest.

The correct response is to get in front of him, get up some speed, and then slam on your brakes.

K. Waste posted:

Oh, don't worry, stiff and ugly is what they're going for. The point is that Alfred turns on the TV, The Great Piggy Bank Robbery is on, and both of them give a plain, rigid, blank stare which... establishes nothing because now it's just two characters watching a cartoon vacantly instead of drawing a contrast between them.

Like, wouldn't that have been refreshing? Alfred turns on a Daffy Duck cartoon, has a chuckle to himself, looks to the child for affirmation, sees just a narrow-eyed little hellion staring back silently, then sighs and leaves quipping something?

In your version, Damian says some really spooky poo poo about, like, being on the side of the rat. This would also be interesting. Interest is death.

He was raised by a cult of terrorist ninjas, so yeah. Damian Wayne is a terrible character. But the last decade of DC Comics has been one godawful misfire after another.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

It's okay, but if he hates Life Aquatic, Fantastic Mr. Fox will be far from his tastes.

Most people I've encountered that don't like Anderson usually still like Fantastic Mr Fox. The movie is dripping with his style but I think it works more universally when applied to a stop motion film about animals.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I'm not watching an Adam Sandler movie in 2017.

It's not funny but it's not unwatchable, it's weird how fully Sandler commits to 90s (Standup) Nostalgia so you have , for example, Colin Quinn as young Not Colin Quinn digitally inserted into footage of Martin Lawrence winning in Star Search. The credits have an extended sequence where Mike Judge prank calls Adam Sandler's character as Beavis and Butthead. It's also two hours long so ehhhhh
Adam Sandler seems like a very nice friend to have

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Hat Thoughts posted:

It's not funny but it's not unwatchable, it's weird how fully Sandler commits to 90s (Standup) Nostalgia so you have , for example, Colin Quinn as young Not Colin Quinn digitally inserted into footage of Martin Lawrence winning in Star Search. The credits have an extended sequence where Mike Judge prank calls Adam Sandler's character as Beavis and Butthead. It's also two hours long so ehhhhh

By all accounts Adam Sandler himself is a really nice guy. But Jesus Christ his movies are so lovely they probably violate the Geneva Convention.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat Thoughts posted:

I do like Adam Sandler the human being, mind you.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
One of these Sandler Netflix movies should just be a remake of Punch Drunk Love, but shot and acted in a traditional Sandler style.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

feedmyleg posted:

Days of Heaven

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ghosts Of The Civil Dead, Slacker is mostly dialogue but exactly what you're thinking of, Wisconsin Death Trip, Dead Man, She's Gotta Have It

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I Before E posted:

I watched RoboCop again for Easter and I was surprised how handsome pre-murder Murphy was. Young Peter Weller was pretty hot.

He's a good lookin man in Buckaroo Banzai too (which just went up on Prime)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Shot context:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ghosts Of The Civil Dead, Slacker is mostly dialogue but exactly what you're thinking of, Wisconsin Death Trip, Dead Man, She's Gotta Have It

Ghosts of the civil Dead, it should be noted, is significantly more brutal than anything else mentioned so far.

I'll add Stalker, Fata Morgana, Walkabout, Sweetgrass, Le Quattro Volte, and since Days of Heaven was already mentioned, everything else by Malick.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ghosts of the civil Dead, it should be noted, is significantly more brutal than anything else mentioned so far.

From the name I would have thought it would be peaceful.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The best MST3k films were/are the vaguely bewildering ones that you'd catch on the weird, fuzzy channel from the next county over at 11pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I Before E posted:

From the name I would have thought it would be peaceful.

It's a pretty hardcore prison drama by John Hillcoat and Nick Cave, plays like an even more bleak version of Oz. HUNDU's not wrong about it feeling like a tone poem though, I'd just hate for someone to go into it unprepared.

• Locked thread