Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Hello friends,

I still cannot locate a Nintendo Switch™ from any local store. Great job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I played a lot of Shovel Knight this morning.
God is alive and wants us to be happy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I have a much easier time with perfect dodges than parries. I still need to try to parry guardians.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I managed to luck out last week.

My office is across the street from a Target and I happened to go over there last Monday. I was actually looking for a off chance of the NES Mini, but I did a double take and noticed they had 5 Switches.

One of my friends was was going crazy looking for one, so I bought one on the spot for him. About an hour later I decided I wanted one so I bought one for myself too.

Fast forward to the next day and I was curious to see if they were gone, surprisingly they still had 3. Let some of my other friends know and one wanted to pick one up as well. Ran back over after work and thought I had missed the opportunity, but there was still one left behind a Skylanders starter kit.

So, that's story on how I spent a grand at Target in two days. I'm surprised the supply lasted over 24 hours.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Spacebump posted:

If anyone is still looking for decent cases for their system, this is the one I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/Industries-N...ndo+switch+case

I originally went to the store looking for a hardshell case and settled on this one after feeling it. When I travel, I like to put my portables in a case and then put them in my backpack. I generally put the ac adaptors in the backpack for devices and get cases that don't fit an ac adaptor. If you're looking for one that can hold your ac adaptor, this isn't it. The system fits well inside with joy cons attached. The game holders are nice and it has a zipper pouch inside that could hold more games or a small set of headphones.

A good case if you don't mind the ac adaptor not in the case and hard shell isn't as important to you. Would recommend.

Yeah I got the same case, but with a Zelda design
https://www.amazon.com/Industries-Nintendo-Switch-Traveler-Deluxe-Travel/dp/B01N357OCG

It's a really nice hard-shell case with a liiiiittle bit of give in it. Perfect for chuckin in your bag and onto a train.

Australia isn't getting Amazon until September-ish this year, so it's hard to go hunting down cases.
This one was sold by JBHiFi and it's really really nice. Ticked all the boxes I wanted.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I found a Switch today using http://www.istocknow.com/live/. Unfortunately my left joy con has the connectivity issue. I don't want to wait another week to play the thing!

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

acksplode posted:

Anyone know how Dragon's Trap compares to Wonder Boy in Monster World? The latter on Genesis was my poo poo back in the day but Dragon's Trap looks like it's simpler and has less depth.

Dragon's trap is a proper metroidvania.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Supercar Gautier posted:

The yellow ones seem like they'll be more of a pear green than a banana yellow-- chartreuse, basically. Should look nice paired with the blue ones. But considering how inaccurately the other colours photograph, who knows.

Oh, one of those colors that non-colorblind people made up as a prank. Good.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ghostwritingduck posted:

I found a Switch today using http://www.istocknow.com/live/. Unfortunately my left joy con has the connectivity issue. I don't want to wait another week to play the thing!
How many of these broken ones are out there sheesh. I'd have thought these later batches would be better on that front.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

is it out??? i thought itw asnt till tomorrow

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo the music in wonder boy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

I played a lot of Shovel Knight this morning.
God is alive and wants us to be happy.

:yeah:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh so it sounds like tomorrow in NA, because tomorrow in NA is today in JP

rly makes u think.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ghostwritingduck posted:

Buy a pro controller because if you're docking it at all it's the best controller. Play connected to TV (or Tabletop) with your Pro Controller until joycon returns. I did it. Barely impacted my gaming at all...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Holy poo poo the music in wonder boy

I switched to Retro everything except graphics.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Feenix posted:

Barely impacted my gaming at all...

It greatly impacted my gaming for the better

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Feenix posted:

Buy a pro controller because if you're docking it at all it's the best controller. Play connected to TV (or Tabletop) with your Pro Controller until joycon returns. I did it. Barely impacted my gaming at all...

Christ why do Switch controllers cost so drat much

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ChrisBTY posted:

Christ why do Switch controllers cost so drat much

To make money

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So my pro controller won't charge when connected to my Anker wall charger. It does 2.4 amps@5v. I tried buying a new cable but that didn't do it either. It will charge when I connect it to the cable that connects to the switch. Any ideas?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So my pro controller won't charge when connected to my Anker wall charger. It does 2.4 amps@5v. I tried buying a new cable but that didn't do it either. It will charge when I connect it to the cable that connects to the switch. Any ideas?

I don't think the pro controller likes that many amps. Mine won't charge at all in the 2A port of my battery pack, but charges just fine in the 1A port.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I switched to Retro everything except graphics.

You're missing out on some awesome harmonica/accordion work

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think the pro controller likes that many amps. Mine won't charge at all in the 2A port of my battery pack, but charges just fine in the 1A port.

I just tried it in my 3ds charger which is 1 amp at 5v, and it didn't work. My samsung phone charger which is 2 amps at 5v works though. What the poo poo

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

We've hit diminishing returns pretty hard on sweet graphics, I think art direction is way more important than specs nowadays, though I concede 60fps is way, way better than 30fps.

We haven't, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian are both titles that push the poo poo out of their original hardware because the tech in the consoles wasn't up to snuff. I mean, TLG on the PS4 is almost never 30fps, only on the PS4 Pro will it stay at 30fps and not even then can you get 60. TLG also didn't care to deal with any pop-in though, and when you look off into the distance you can see details like a motherfucker and it's amazing, they didn't go the typical route of making the geometry super lovely and the textures small and muddy. Also seeing all of Trico's feathers blow individually in the wind while all being physics based is just amazing. But because all of this poo poo is super demanding on the hardware the whole experience suffers.

Imagine playing BOTW and not having pop-in, being able to see the grass all the way on a far hill or mountain actually exist and blow in the wind, or having forests not look like poo poo because they still have shadows or volumetric fog/myst cascading down distant mountains.

Graphics are super advanced right now, but that's only for up-close details while everything in the distance is hit by shortcuts to make sure the game just runs properly. Which is why everything 50 feet away from you in BOTW looks pretty ugly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I want a Trico DLC for BOTW now. I wanna hang out with my cat dragon dog thing again.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I want a Trico DLC for BOTW now. I wanna hang out with my cat dragon dog thing again.

That'd be amazing seeing him get pissed at Guardians and Hynox and gently caress some poo poo up.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They should do a Rain amiibo for BotW

Rain is obviously the most popular character in BotW

Scan it in and BAM it's raining.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

We haven't, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian are both titles that push the poo poo out of their original hardware because the tech in the consoles wasn't up to snuff. I mean, TLG on the PS4 is almost never 30fps, only on the PS4 Pro will it stay at 30fps and not even then can you get 60. TLG also didn't care to deal with any pop-in though, and when you look off into the distance you can see details like a motherfucker and it's amazing, they didn't go the typical route of making the geometry super lovely and the textures small and muddy. Also seeing all of Trico's feathers blow individually in the wind while all being physics based is just amazing. But because all of this poo poo is super demanding on the hardware the whole experience suffers.

Imagine playing BOTW and not having pop-in, being able to see the grass all the way on a far hill or mountain actually exist and blow in the wind, or having forests not look like poo poo because they still have shadows or volumetric fog/myst cascading down distant mountains.

Graphics are super advanced right now, but that's only for up-close details while everything in the distance is hit by shortcuts to make sure the game just runs properly. Which is why everything 50 feet away from you in BOTW looks pretty ugly.

I think this is a pretty subjective argument, I agree BotW could look better but it couldn't look, like, I don't know, insanely better. I think it already looks great and that's mostly due to the art direction. Yeah if there was more detail or something that would be nice but it also wouldn't make a huge difference.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

chaleski posted:

It greatly impacted my gaming for the better

Yeah sorry I should have said it barely affected how and where I play. Pro Controller is the poo poo...

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Infinitum posted:

They should do a Rain amiibo for BotW

Rain is obviously the most popular character in BotW

Scan it in and BAM it's raining.

Better yet, scan it and select a friend from your friend list. It starts raining in their game.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Spacebump posted:

Better yet, scan it and select a friend from your friend list. It starts raining in their game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spacebump posted:

would pay $60 for

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Rain's good because it means I can ruin enemies' day with Electric Arrows.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wonderboy is out in the Aus eShop, and we're not getting overcharged for it

SUCK IT AMERICA :frogc00l:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

When will the NFC reader do tap-to-pay so I don't have to enter my card in everytime.

TOWING THE LINE $N$I$N$T$E$N$D$O$

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Store your credit card information on your amiibo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

When you think about it a credit card IS an amiibo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Take a picture of your credit card amiibo on your shelf and send it to me

I'd also like to see the back of the amiibo as well

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

HIDDEN COSTS

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you can actual just send me the serials on the front and back

you might have gotten a really rare amiibo and I want to check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

I think this is a pretty subjective argument, I agree BotW could look better but it couldn't look, like, I don't know, insanely better. I think it already looks great and that's mostly due to the art direction. Yeah if there was more detail or something that would be nice but it also wouldn't make a huge difference.

It totally would, I remember around the GameCube thinking "games won't look better than this." Thinking it can't look better is bullshit. Things can always look better; look 50 feet away from Link and you'll see the lack of grass exposes the distance muddy textures, pop-in always looks likeshit and shadows are basically non-existent.

Imagine if Death Mountain had actually lava that slid down the mountain calculated via physics and wasn't just a texture with hurt boxes on it, or that the mist, fog, clouds and smoke were all volumetric and moved according to the wind environments and actions are them, rather than just being random things that just happen in the distance. Or how about the sand in Gerudo desert actually acting as sand, shifting with the wind and allowing you to uncover secrets with the Korok leaf?

Having more horse power and graphical capability doesn't mean looking more realistic, but having more details and simulations that could impact gameplay. I mean, people were wowing at the fact that the grass moves dynamically, can be set on fire and the thermals could be used to lift you into the sky, expanding this to the whole world and far off areas away from Link just adds more options. It would be amazing to see a far off brush fire start spreading and zoom in from a distance to see it caused by a Lynel with a firesword attacking a Moblin.

Things can always look better.

• Locked thread