Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
100% guarantee that same person thinks the prequels are poo poo and doesn't care about "George's vision" at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I don't think it matters , Disney vs Lucas or whatever. The question is, is Disney taking the star wars universe in original and exciting directions? So far...Not really. And that doesn't look to change much

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
You mean an ultra-profitable goliath of media creation isn't taking extreme chances in its first outings with an already beloved franchise? You don't say...

Although honestly they kinda did take chances by having a woman, a black dude, and a hispanic dude headlining their mega-blockbuster in an industry where that kind of casting would cause a room full of CEOs to fall silent.

E: V V V I wasn't responding to a comment about quality, but sure let's talk about that. No, casting isn't necessarily tied to quality, but having relative unknowns as your lead actors is not only very Star Wars but it helps the audience stay in the movie. Not only that, but when those actors are really good, as is the case with TFA, the story is helped a great deal by that. A lesser cast would absolutely have let the familiarity of the movie's plot take over rather than go along for the ride.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 15, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Casting choices dont make a movie good. I like TFA but plenty of people don't. I like where this trailer implies the story is going but it's still Disney. Chance taking isn't in the bottom line

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

if that guy thinks the jedi order was something worth saving he didn't watch the prequels.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Awesome trailer, I can't wait.

However, not everyone agrees...

quote:

Again over a thousand generations, there was peace due to the Jedi order. You don't throw that all out, any fool would know that even Luke. But this is not a struggle on film happening. It's happening behind the scenes. What were really seeing is Disney vs George still. And it's apparent the Mouse is using the ST to turn Star Wars into Marvel 2.0 which has been their planned since October 2012 and hence why George walked away completely. He didn't want to see his vision turn into that and be apart of it. I will say it again: I am indifferent on Star Wars = Marvel 2.0, ultimately if it means more SW I will be take it gladly but I really understand why George not only walk away but clearly is really upset over the direction they have taken. He spent his entire life building this universe and in the matter of what...50 months or so, Disney will essentially erase it. Talk about a bitter pill to swallow!

Lucas turned the Jedi into a goddamn congressional subcommittee.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
New star wars rebels trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7GAhnVwhA
I'm hyped

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

RC Cola posted:

New star wars rebels trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7GAhnVwhA
I'm hyped

Thank god we're going to decide once and for all who controlls Empty Grass Planet.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

General Dog posted:

Thank god we're going to decide once and for all who controlls Empty Grass Planet.

Pro-tier post/avatar text combo?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

sudo rm -rf posted:

if that guy thinks the jedi order was something worth saving he didn't watch the prequels.

The point of the Jedi in the Prequels was that they were "good" but had become distant and lost their way, not that the very concept of the Jedi was bad. The whole point of Luke taking up the Jedi mantle in Episode VII, "I am a Jedi, Like my father before me." is that he's going to make the Jedi what they were supposed to be and not repeat the same mistakes that led to the downfall of the old order.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

galagazombie posted:

The point of the Jedi in the Prequels was that they were "good" but had become distant and lost their way, not that the very concept of the Jedi was bad. The whole point of Luke taking up the Jedi mantle in Episode VII, "I am a Jedi, Like my father before me." is that he's going to make the Jedi what they were supposed to be and not repeat the same mistakes that led to the downfall of the old order.

He evidently did make the same mistakes, which is probably central to what he means. I think Leia straight up says to Han that sending Kylo away was what lead to him turning to the Dark Side. Kylo needed his family, and Luke probably did as well.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There is clearly a fundamental problem with the jedi, in that their existence seems to create the sith. The more ascetic parts of being a jedi seem to specifically generate the conditions necessary for a conversion to the dark side. Luke is probably interested in training Rey in a way that does not necessarily contain every single ethos of the late jedi.

He may have been seeking out the original temple to find out how they trained their pupils, because the order lasted a lot longer than the relatively short span between the fall of the jedi and the republic, but he was trained by Jedi from this period and simply may not have the tools to train students without risking their minds to the dark side like kylo ren.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

galagazombie posted:

So when someone says they want to be like something, you take it to mean they want to be different than that thing?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

galagazombie posted:

There is literally nothing in the Prequels that supports this. The Jedi were even more cardboard cutout good guys in the Prequels than they were in reference in the original series. They suffered a downfall because an evil bad guy mustache-twirling villain created a clone army to conquer the galaxy, not because of any internal failing. Ping pong yoda teaching younglings was not some kind of deep metaphor for the corruption of the Jedi any more than Jar Jar Binks was a representation of the apartheid policies of Naboo reflecting the corruption of the Old Republic.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TildeATH posted:

There is literally nothing in the Prequels that supports this. The Jedi were even more cardboard cutout good guys in the Prequels than they were in reference in the original series. They suffered a downfall because an evil bad guy mustache-twirling villain created a clone army to conquer the galaxy, not because of any internal failing. Ping pong yoda teaching younglings was not some kind of deep metaphor for the corruption of the Jedi any more than Jar Jar Binks was a representation of the apartheid policies of Naboo reflecting the corruption of the Old Republic.

Wait so an order that takes (possibly abducts see: anakin) children to brainwash them into its faith that that places ties to the order over secular policy positions that actual impct day to day peoples lives and then plots an overthrow of the duly elected government because the peoples new army is more powerful than them is good guys?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

Wait so an order that takes (possibly abducts see: anakin) children to brainwash them into its faith that that places ties to the order over secular policy positions that actual impct day to day peoples lives and then plots an overthrow of the duly elected government because the peoples new army is more powerful than them is good guys?

Ah yes I see now Darth Vader is a reform candidate.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Since this is the spoiler thread(!) -- for the Rebels fans: were there any worthy points of speculation from the season 4 trailer?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

there are two things in star wars that 5 year old kids seem more capable of understanding than some middle aged nerds: droids are "people" and the jedi are flawed.

Kly fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 17, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TildeATH posted:

Darth Vader is a slave.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Schwarzwald posted:

Darth Vader is a slave.

To Greepgrop? To Quigon? To Yoda? To Palpatine? Was he just sold from one to another?

Because I thought he was supposed to be Neo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TildeATH posted:

Yes? He says so as much himself. Turns out there are many reforms that involve the brutal death of existing ideological practitioners and that are ultimately extremely unstable and terrible ideas.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

TildeATH posted:

To Greepgrop? To Quigon? To Yoda? To Palpatine? Was he just sold from one to another?

Because I thought he was supposed to be Neo.

Only Luke frees him from his life of slavery. Perhaps Quigon would have, but he died.

Darth Vader posted:

You don't know the power of the dark side! I must obey my master.

Attack of the Clones posted:

Obi-Wan Kenobi: Why do I get the feeling you're going to be the death of me?
Anakin Skywalker: Don't say that, master. You're the closest thing I have to a father.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 17, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Come on you guys stop joshing, these are the Jar Jar movies you're talking about, right? Or is this some kind of video game extended universe thing you're referring to?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Only Luke frees him from his life of slavery. Perhaps Quigon would have, but he died.

Ugh and now i have a your name is toby scene but with Darth Vader in my head.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Zeris posted:

Since this is the spoiler thread(!) -- for the Rebels fans: were there any worthy points of speculation from the season 4 trailer?

Some characters gonna die. They are gonna liberate Lothal.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TildeATH posted:

Come on you guys stop joshing, these are the Jar Jar movies you're talking about, right? Or is this some kind of video game extended universe thing you're referring to?

These are the Jar Jar movies, yes.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Barudak posted:

Ugh and now i have a your name is toby scene but with Darth Vader in my head.

quote:

Vader: The Emperor has been expecting you.
Luke: I know, father.
Vader: So, you have accepted the truth.
Luke: I've accepted the truth that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father.
Vader: [angry retort] That name no longer has any meaning for me.
Luke: It is the name of your true self. You've only forgotten. I know there is good in you. The Emperor hasn't driven it from you fully.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know its a super accurate in so far as how its used, Im just imagining vader being laser whipped until suddenly instead of a defiant Anakin in Hayden Christensens voice we get a beaten and broken James Earl Jones saying Darth Vader and it is easily the most tasteless scene homage ive ever conjured

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Zeris posted:

They showed an episode to us at the Rebels panel and bad poo poo is going to happen on Mandalore.

Also Chopper hits a stormtrooper in the head with a spent blaster. He continues to be A Great Droid.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

They showed an episode to us at the Rebels panel and bad poo poo is going to happen on Mandalore.

Also Chopper hits a stormtrooper in the head with a spent blaster. He continues to be A Great Droid.

I think you mean The Best Droid.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I dare you to read it all.

quote:

It's like they asked a bunch of elementary school children to write the sequel trilogy. The result would be something very close to what we're actually getting. They absolutely ruined Luke's story and his legacy in the saga. How un-creative could you get? Luke on an uninhabited planet all alone, in a dirty old robe, disheveled and sounding like a depressed crazy old person. "it's time for the Jedi to end". Are you kidding? his arc in the sequel trilogy is completely at odds with the character GL designed in the OT. So after ROTJ Luke tried to start a new Jedi order, kylo killed some of his students then he fled to some deserted planet and abandoned everything that happened in the previous 30 years. Like I said already this is a basic story that a kid would come up with.

What hardcore SW fan would of believed that the Luke from the OT would end up as a disheveled bum on a deserted planet, abandon the republic and say the Jedi should end. Did the writers even see the OT? How much did Luke go through in the OT yet never give up? He started off a poor farmer on a desert planet, his mother and father were already dead (or so he thought). Then his aunt an uncle who raised him got killed. His mentor got killed. His arm got chopped off. He fought the government tirelessly with few resources. His father died in his arms. But he succeeded and defeated the emperor. If you did all of that then you are going to be a mentally tough person and keep going. To think that the "Jedi Academy Massacre" which we don't know much about because they don't explain anything would lead him to abandon everything he has achieved thus far in life and everyone he loves, give up on the Jedi order and disappear to some deserted island is irrational, unskilled storytelling.Basically nothing even happened in TFA besides people running planet to planet getting shot at along the way. Do they not respect the franchise enough to give us a meaningful story?

They're treating the Star Wars franchise like a marvel comics movie. It works for Spiderman movies because the backstory doesn't matter/people won't care/It's just a vapid superhero movie people will only watch once. This isn't Iron Man. Careful consideration needs to be put into story decisions. They've written themselves into a hole now in which there is no escape. Rey nobody has no backstory, no purpose, and isn't half the character Luke is/was. Luke's character is ruined now. What is the sequel trilogy even about? If they don't make major story improvements in TLJ, SW is done. Life long hardcore SW fan here. I'm not pleased.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I guarantee there were those exact words written about ESB in a fanzine once upon a time.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I like how they say none of the characters have no story but really how much do you learn about Luke, Han, or Leia in ANH if you try to watch it in the frame of mind that this is the only Star Wars movie that ever came out.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm the guy shocked that luke 'most influential mentors in life were old ben and yoda' skywalker ended up being a weird reclusive hermit in his old age

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I dunno I kind of agree with him. All the poo poo Luke put up with, some punk burning down his house shattered him that badly? We'll see

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Zeris posted:

It features Rukh. Thrawn is probably gonna die.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Ammanas posted:

I dunno I kind of agree with him. All the poo poo Luke put up with, some punk burning down his house shattered him that badly? We'll see

Why do we assume hes been burned?
Maybe Luke just got Star Wars woke.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Ammanas posted:

He said "gently caress it" and ran away when his home on Tattooine was burned down too.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

I, Butthole posted:

He said "gently caress it" and ran away when his home on Tattooine was burned down too.

Destroying my home and killing my family... my one weakness! How did you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

thrawn527 posted:

It features Rukh. Thrawn is probably gonna die.

I dunno. they are loving stoked to have him back in the official canon, so I think they might keep him around.

• Locked thread