Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

pokchu posted:

poe.ninja has it listed for 72C, so knock 10% or so off and say 65C

I think I will pass and try to get a penetration one. Thank you though :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
pok whatcha want for that lacerate devotos

(it's gonna be too much)

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
i got it for 3ex; so 3ex

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So the WI tricurse witch build I'm in gives an ordering for prisming. It says faster attacks first, even though orb of storms and whatever other things it's supporting are in no way my main damage dealing spells. Is that really the best place?

Really I'm asking, how do I determine what to use prisms on? I have a few.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

zxqv8 posted:

SR provides up to 24% fire resistance reduction against the target in question which acts as a more multiplier (and does it's own considerable DPS), while CWC itself provides a 10% more multiplier and farts out your icestorms faster than even spell echo will without the associated damage reduction from using it.

It's probably pretty close either way, so use what feels best to you.

i think it also depends if you are witch or templar since sr wastes the huge cast speed buff templar gets on consecrated ground

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

silvergoose posted:

So the WI tricurse witch build I'm in gives an ordering for prisming. It says faster attacks first, even though orb of storms and whatever other things it's supporting are in no way my main damage dealing spells. Is that really the best place?

Really I'm asking, how do I determine what to use prisms on? I have a few.

its for faster leap slam movement

generally you either buy a quality 15+ gem and finish it with prisms or you do the lvl 20 recipe. going from 0-20 quality with prisms on all your stuff is expensive

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Awesome! posted:

its for faster leap slam movement

generally you either buy a quality 15+ gem and finish it with prisms or you do the lvl 20 recipe. going from 0-20 quality with prisms on all your stuff is expensive

Ohhh. Okay. Just to move around faster. Sure, fine, that makes sense.

And, sure, so I should try to buy a faster attacks gem with a bunch of quality and then get that to 20. Makes sense.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I wouldn't say the consecrated ground cast speed buff is wasted. It does let you stack up the debuff faster and get it started again faster if you do have to dodge.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
And more importantly thanks to Pious Path you get energy shield regen and Cannot be affected by Elemental Status Ailments while on Consecrated Ground. Which is great. It's not as constant as Avatar of the Veil, but it's still really loving good.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
speaking of character improvements, looking for some advice on my BV pathfinder for uber lab runs - turns out it's way more fun when every run only takes you 6 minutes!

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/interrodactyl/characters?characterName=FlabFinder

Some things I already know

- I was trying to recolor my chest to 3B 2G 1R, but after spending ~90 chaos in chromes, gave up on that.
- Need to scour my blind gem 1 level
- My next skill points are to pick up 2 more jewel slots and then grab the Evasion/Movespeed cluster on the lower right (3 to get both jewels, 4 to get the movespeed cluster)

I am feeling a bit squishy with 4750 life and 2600 mana, but not sure where i can really pick up more life for cheap.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Fixit posted:

A shape strand is a t11-16 that has a shaper orb put on it right?

No, Strand is a specific map. It's a T6 that can be raised to T11 with a Shaper's Orb, becoming Shaped Strand instead.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I started playing this on like, Friday, so I'm pretty clueless. I'm coming from a long history of D2/D3 though, so at least I don't feel completely out of place.

I'm around 35ish; is it possible for valuable leaguestones to even drop for me? I've been using them constantly because I figured there was no way ones worth selling would drop at this level, but if that's not the case, I'll go through the effort of price checking them.

At your level you'll get stones that are useful, but not valuable. The ones dropping for you will have a level restriction attached, where they'll only work in levels that are about 10 or so higher than where they dropped. So even nice ones where rare monsters drop prismatic rings, well those rings may well be upgrades for you but will be inherently limited on their possible affixes due to the area level they dropped in and won't compare to actually valuable endgame gear.

Tldr: until you get into maps, or at least act 3/4 merciless, feel free to use any leaguestones that drop without hesitation.

E: and don't worry about feeling clueless. This game has so many mechanics that can interact with other mechanics in unexpected ways that I'm still learning things with nearly 3000 hours of play time.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

YoungSexualNorton posted:

Your listed cast speed is how long it takes you to cast one time, even with spell echo socketed in. Spell echo forces you to cast two times at that rate.

I don't know the details of your build but if you're converting cold to fire already, SR is probably the better option. It does a good amount of damage in its own right, and the -resist debuff is really good for bosses. It does feel weird clearing maps with CWC builds until you get used to it, but once you get the rhythm I doubt you're going to be moving any more slowly.

Yes, my cast time is .29 (could be lower but I'm testing Doedre's Tenure in gloves), so .58 with Echo. The consensus I've read for the build I'm using is definitely that CWC is better against bosses - obviously assuming you can continuously fire it - and worse for clearing maps in general. I dunno if the CWC version would up my leech to let me tank more poo poo, if it can then it'd probably be worth it for the tough bosses, though I'd hate to have to use it for mapping. Though I'm not sure how much of the boss-tanking is CWC and how much is the rest of the build (I'm Guardian, and I assume Elementalist/Inquisitor versions probably are gonna be leeching more than me with their fancy offensive ascendancies).

Of course, I'd probably be better off rebuilding to some Inquisitor version with different gearing in the end, CWC or otherwise, but I'm too lazy for that.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

interrodactyl posted:

speaking of character improvements, looking for some advice on my BV pathfinder for uber lab runs - turns out it's way more fun when every run only takes you 6 minutes!

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/interrodactyl/characters?characterName=FlabFinder

Some things I already know

- I was trying to recolor my chest to 3B 2G 1R, but after spending ~90 chaos in chromes, gave up on that.
- Need to scour my blind gem 1 level
- My next skill points are to pick up 2 more jewel slots and then grab the Evasion/Movespeed cluster on the lower right (3 to get both jewels, 4 to get the movespeed cluster)

I am feeling a bit squishy with 4750 life and 2600 mana, but not sure where i can really pick up more life for cheap.

Check https://siveran.github.io/calc.html if you're trying a weird chrome. You should use an average of 312 chromes if you use the 1B recipe according to that. Or 400 if you straight up spam orbs. Using 1500ish as you say seems very weird.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

peak debt posted:

Check https://siveran.github.io/calc.html if you're trying a weird chrome. You should use an average of 312 chromes if you use the 1B recipe according to that. Or 400 if you straight up spam orbs. Using 1500ish as you say seems very weird.

Yep, I 1B'd 1450 chromes before giving up :(

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
My experience with the calculator has been similar. I usually just spend the extra to ensure the slots I need of the hardest color, but I prefer surer bets even if they're more expensive.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

peak debt posted:

Found out about this last week, used it 2 days ago to find out that it would average 80 chromes to get the colours on my gloves that I wanted. 3 chromes later rnjesus smiled and I was done. Figured I would use the rest of the chromes on my hat, and rolled the right colours in less than a stack.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Any advice on my character, WuTangMeatballsLEG? I'm trying to do Molten Strike, but the clear speed is just as bad as I've heard. (Please make projectile speed make the balls drop faster...) What do I even switch to, Blade Flurry? I'm waiting until level 72 to buy a Gemini Claw with high attack speed and crit. Don't know if I should go for a 6-link or some Essences of Horror for rings after that.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
my experience with 4+ off colors: sell your chest and buy a similar one with Reduced Attribute Requirement

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Playing a SRS Auromancer, do I need to get Shav's before I jump to Blood Magic? I tried it last night as the 50% reserved node which allowed me to run wrath, anger and envy which upped my dps significantly but I'm hella squishy with only 200hp after all the reserved and the chaos just bypasses.

I kind of counteracted it by staying on the move and far away from mobs.

Also, if anyone's giving up playing I'll take your shavs. Still 200c to go.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

zxqv8 posted:

Fun fact, with CWC your first icestorm comes out after .35s. With spell echo, you're stuck in place for two casts which take around .8 to .9s in total, depending on total cast speed from gear and tree.

If it feels like it's taking longer with CWC, you're way overcooking it.

The first icestorm comes out .35s after SR starts casting. That's going to be substantially longer than .35s. This is why killing trash groups feels slow with SR CWC WI.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Oodles posted:

Playing a SRS Auromancer, do I need to get Shav's before I jump to Blood Magic? I tried it last night as the 50% reserved node which allowed me to run wrath, anger and envy which upped my dps significantly but I'm hella squishy with only 200hp after all the reserved and the chaos just bypasses.

I kind of counteracted it by staying on the move and far away from mobs.

Also, if anyone's giving up playing I'll take your shavs. Still 200c to go.

You can try a solaris lorica, it can be an okay stopgap if you really want ll without a shavs. A shavs is a huge upgrade from there though, lorica does literally nothing for you outside of that one property.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every build I look requires Shav. I think next league I'll just save exalted to buy it first thing depending on how much the meta doesn't change.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

McFrugal posted:

The first icestorm comes out .35s after SR starts casting. That's going to be substantially longer than .35s. This is why killing trash groups feels slow with SR CWC WI.

Obviously I've never timed it (and don't really have the tools or reaction time to do so), but this doesn't fit with what the CWC gem describes. It's every .35s while channeling, and while scorching ray has a wind up before the beam starts, you are channeling as soon as you hit the corresponding key.

I wonder if maybe it's clarified somewhere by GGG, but not enough to actually go looking :shrug:

I don't think it feels bad, I don't know why others do. I just hop in, spin the beam in a circle or half circle, and move on.

But again, play whatever you think feels best. It's no skin off my back.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Has anyone done a nice write up on this league and what to look out for as valuable/useful and why?

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

zxqv8 posted:

Obviously I've never timed it (and don't really have the tools or reaction time to do so), but this doesn't fit with what the CWC gem describes. It's every .35s while channeling, and while scorching ray has a wind up before the beam starts, you are channeling as soon as you hit the corresponding key.

I wonder if maybe it's clarified somewhere by GGG, but not enough to actually go looking :shrug:

Wiki says "Cast while Channelling casts the trigger spell exactly on the listed interval regardless of the cast time of the channeled spell." which seems consistent with what I've found myself and what you say here.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Stangg posted:

Has anyone done a nice write up on this league and what to look out for as valuable/useful and why?

Mouse-over CTRL-D.
List for value-1c

Breaches sell well, as do ones that increase more rare mobs and chance to find rare items.

I sold a breach that had 2 additional breaches in it for 24c

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Decided last night that I wanted to ditch Viper Strike and just do Lacerate w/ a conc gem for bosses, damage was comparable on PoB. Didn't like using it and I missed Viper. End up accidentally using a chrom instead of a fusing when I was trying to 6L the chest, losing my RRRGG/G combo that I needed to run Viper. Burned ~400 fusings and couldn't make it even 5L again. Burned all my chroms trying to make it the right colors again. Got frustrated and spent my last 55C on a min-roll 5L/6S Cospris with the colors I needed, putting me back to square one. I am good with money.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Oodles posted:

Mouse-over CTRL-D.
List for value-1c

Breaches sell well, as do ones that increase more rare mobs and chance to find rare items.

I sold a breach that had 2 additional breaches in it for 24c

What makes Breach so desirable?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Stangg posted:

What makes Breach so desirable?

It creates an assload of monsters to kill thereby increasing the xp gain and chances for more loot.

Also the rarest breach type can drop some really good and valuable uniques.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I still don't really understand how to do a breach.

Do I just keep killing monsters or do I have to kill monsters on the edges or do I have to open the hands?

As I find I kill them a bit, then it expands and rapidly contracts.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Do all of those things. The more you kill the longer it stays open, and the hands are just treasure chests that drop more splinters but you can only open while the breach stays open. Rare monsters from within the breach also drop splinters.

They always close eventually, but when in doubt, kill poo poo.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Killing expands the ring. The moment you walk across the breach the time limit starts. You gain time limit (invisibly) by killing mobs, but it's harder and harder to get it as it expands until it runs out and goes away.

You basically want to kill large clumps, rares, and open hands as much as possible. Rares/Hands give Splinters. 100 Splinters = Breachstone = Breachlord zone in the map device.

For the Breachlords you do want to stay at the edge because your goal is to keep expanding the ring to the edge of the map, and sometimes you'll have to run width wise across the map while it's expanding height wise, so it helps to be at the edge so you can quickly move on. There the timer is visible at least, so you can see how close you are to failing. Rare mobs give a much bigger boost to the timer. Once the Breach reaches the Lord's portal, the timer stops and you can go in/out like a normal map and also go pick up loot and finish off any straggler mobs. Chayula > Uul > Elemental lords for difficulty of the Lords.

If you fail the timer on the Lord you lose your Stone, and the timer is much tighter on Uul/Chayula than the Elemental ones.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Domains are basically a dps check at levels 70, 75, and 80. You have to kill whites in one, blues in two and rares with four hits or faster.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

zxqv8 posted:

I don't think it feels bad, I don't know why others do. I just hop in, spin the beam in a circle or half circle, and move on.

But again, play whatever you think feels best. It's no skin off my back.

Scorching Ray has a base cast time of 0.5s. If you started "channeling" the instant you hit the button, then with base cast speed icestorm(or any other linked spell) would come out before the ray. This does not happen. The cast time on scorching ray (or any other channeled spell) has to complete before the spell starts channeling. Channeling is the act of maintaining the spell, not CASTING the spell.

But yes, once the initial casting is complete the linked spell will cast every 0.35 seconds regardless of increased cast speed.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 18, 2017

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

McFrugal posted:

Scorching Ray has a base cast time of 0.5s. If you started "channeling" the instant you hit the button, then with base cast speed icestorm(or any other linked spell) would come out before the ray. This does not happen. The cast time on scorching ray (or any other channeled spell) has to complete before the spell starts channeling. Channeling is the act of maintaining the spell, not CASTING the spell.

But yes, once the initial casting is complete the linked spell will cast every 0.35 seconds regardless of increased cast speed.

This would imply the first ice storm wouldn't appear until 0.85s with no cast speed buffs. The wiki for SR does say that it takes time equal to the cast speed for the beam to appear, but doesn't say that it isn't channeling. My experience stutter stepping with CWC SR makes me think you're wrong.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

No one with some howa experience that could give a quick glance over the gear I've picked up? I like to have stuff prepared for the characters I play usually or at least know what I need to buy and it's tough deciding wether a piece of gear is "good enough" for howa

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I could use some advice on gear/tree priorities for my LL RF Guardian.

I'm broadly following Pohx's guide, and I've just respecced and geared up to get LL selfcast RF up and running with just over 7k ES.

Things I want/need next, but I don't know what to prioritise:
  • Either a better 3% reduced mana reservation hat (I've been trying to essence craft one) or The Vertex (50-60c)
  • 30% Increased DoT gloves (crappy ones available for 25-40c or essences for 42c)
  • Witchfire Brew (42c)
  • +2/+3 Unset Rings
  • Better Flasks, Jewels, Shoes
  • A good non-RotP shield I can put -DoT taken on
  • Presence of Chayula (eventually)
  • Shav's (eventually)
I'm picking up Written in Blood next on the tree, and then planning on grabbing Whispers of Doom. I don't know if MoM and the mana nodes past it are worthwhile - I'm currently running some Healthy Mind jewels for ES as ES/dmg/dmg or ES/dmg/res jewels are 40c+

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 18, 2017

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3

Jack the Lad posted:

I could use some advice on gear/tree priorities for my LL RF Guardian.

I'm broadly following Pohx's guide, and I've just respecced and geared up to get LL selfcast RF up and running with just over 7k ES.

Things I want/need next, but I don't know what to prioritise:
  • Either a better 3% reduced mana reservation hat (I've been trying to essence craft one) or The Vertex (50-60c)
  • 30% Increased DoT gloves (crappy ones available for 25-40c or essences for 42c)
  • Witchfire Brew (42c)
  • +2/+3 Unset Rings
  • Better Flasks, Jewels, Shoes
  • A good non-RotP shield I can put -DoT taken on
  • Presence of Chayula (eventually)
  • Shav's (eventually)
I'm picking up Written in Blood next on the tree, and then planning on grabbing Whispers of Doom. I don't know if MoM and the mana nodes past it are worthwhile - I'm currently running some Healthy Mind jewels for ES as ES/dmg/dmg or ES/dmg/res jewels are 40c+

I would probably try to craft or buy the gloves first, personally. It is a pretty huge dps upgrade that is hard to replace. Which reminds me, I really need to craft a better pair myself lol
I would also make sure you are leveling blood magic gems in your weapon switch, lvl 21 blood magic goes a long way (and you don't need to bother with quality) to not needing the reduced mana reserv on your helm.
After that I would probably just save up for the Shavs, maybe try crafting some unset rings if you are feeling saucy with alts. +3 unset is pretty hard to hit, especially with decent other mods.

I personally also switched in to using SR in my chest for better single target, and it can be pretty nice.
Here is my profile if you want to take a look: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Aibon/characters

I really need to replace the helm with a RF enchant, and my gloves are poo poo, but :effort:

Squee fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
What are the current "unethical" builds that would be suited for the HC league, I'm levelling a tornado shot ranger (pathfinder) at the moment as it's always served me well in the past and seems like it's pretty cheap to start mapping with but some of the new skills look quite interesting.

• Locked thread