Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fulchrum posted:

He has to leave and go back home because it is a videogame and you don't get endless content

that doesn't make sense tho, you could use the same excuse to justify any arbitrarily final ending

uncle scrooge HAS to die of congestive heart failure at the end of ducktales bc it's a videogame and you don't get endless content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

See, I'm going to defend that in 4 as a sheer moment of pure ludonarrative brilliance that elevates it as one of the most brilliant game endings of all time. They're all saying goodbye, and so are you. The journey is done. You've bonded with them, been to hell nad back, you've grown with them and they've grown with you, but now, its all over. You have to go. You can come back another time, but this will always be where your time together has to end. So the characters you've grown close to have to say their goodbyes to you, the player, as the credits roll and you sit back, off to a new place.

Its right up there with The Last Of Us as one of the single greatest game endings of all time simply because of how well it deconstructs the perfect way for an experience driven by relationships that need to end by the nature of the medium, can cease without it being a tragedy.
Now all I want is a Persona-Disney crossover where Huey Dewey and Louie become protagonists.

I don't think so, personally.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wizard on a water slide posted:

that doesn't make sense tho, you could use the same excuse to justify any arbitrarily final ending

uncle scrooge HAS to die of congestive heart failure at the end of ducktales bc it's a videogame and you don't get endless content
Yeah, but Ducktales isn't a story about Scrooges bonds with those around him and his searh for his own soul and the salvation of those around him. That was the comics that the series was based off of.

Like, without a departure, you have to question why you didn't get more time to finish all your social links or level up your social stats, or read all those books.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

One fool's journey has to end for another to begin :unsmith:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just started newgame + without picking up Igor's item which really sucks.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Hunt11 posted:

...There's an item for Igor? I know there was one for the Twins but considering the stuff that happens I assumed there was no item for Igor.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There isn't such an item, yeah it sucks

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well that sucks having to go back to only 6 persona slots.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Persona 3 - Death
Persona 4 - Truth
Persona 5 - You Should Hate Cops

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

wizard on a water slide posted:

tbf the way it works in the game is extremely weird: probation means being sent to tokyo to live with a middle-aged single man who owns a coffee shop, chases skirt, and has no clue what you do at night?

that's like the opposite of how probation works irl

IIRC he had to go to Tokyo because no other school would take him and Kobayakawa thought that reforming a "Problem Student" would help with the school's image.

It's apparently a fairly common thing for students to either commute to or rent out a place so they can go to a school they got into if they had no other choice so, eh.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Cool how you bring Morgana into the toilet with you

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm sure it's been covered, but the hiding mechanic could have been better executed. It's really finicky and there's almost no good situations where you can zip around and ambush enemies, and you end up running around like an rear end in a top hat chasing shadows down.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Saint Freak posted:

Persona 3 - Death
Persona 4 - Truth

lol if you didn't say "I hate cops" to Iwai

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I kinda wish the rear end in a top hat cop who tortures you in the intro played a bigger role in the game. Could have used some more scenes centering on how awful that dude was.

Maybe in some of the Sae/Goro scenes.

He should also have been the final floor Mementos dude outside the final stratum.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 18, 2017

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RME
Feb 20, 2012

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Zore posted:

I kinda wish the rear end in a top hat cop who tortures you in the intro played a bigger role in the game.

For a relatively minor character, he had some of the most expressive facial animations in the whole game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FauxLeather posted:

For a relatively minor character, he had some of the most expressive facial animations in the whole game.

Yeah, he instantly and effectively set the 'gently caress the police tone' and it was great.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I'm still fully convinced by the way Haru is portrayed in the intro animation that tons and tons of poo poo changed by the end of production.
I wouldn't be surprised if that cop was supposed to be a minor character or the guy who gets offed by goro at the end of temple 6.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Oh gently caress I didnt even know you could get anything. What do you get?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Night Blade posted:

I didn't get anything which is my issue, and going by what other people said in the thread there was nothing for me to get.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Night Blade posted:

Nothing.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

Ă¢Â€Â• Corey Dostoyevsky

yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Gorp posted:

I'm still fully convinced by the way Haru is portrayed in the intro animation that tons and tons of poo poo changed by the end of production.
I wouldn't be surprised if that cop was supposed to be a minor character or the guy who gets offed by goro at the end of temple 6.
this is an insane conspiracy theory

animators who do these things are generally just given vague character blurbs/profiles and left to assume a lot of things. if you watch the daybreakers, yusuke is way cooler and acts as a second in command and ann is way flirtier with all of the guys. they were probably just given 'rich girl whose dad works in food' for haru and animated her two second scene based on that, there's no insane rewrite conspiracy going on

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is the final dungeon long? Not sure if I should just try to hammer the rest of the game out tonight

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Saint Freak posted:

Persona 3 - Death
Persona 4 - Truth

Blue, Yellow, Red. Sorrow and darkness, happiness and light, passion and blood.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Is the final dungeon long? Not sure if I should just try to hammer the rest of the game out tonight

Yeah, its very long and theres a ton of cutscenes after.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Its long.
I think the climax was ruined for my because I was so many hours in that i just felt tired rather than satisfied at the end.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

i love this perfect girl

also that perfect book

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

I'm sure it's been covered, but the hiding mechanic could have been better executed. It's really finicky and there's almost no good situations where you can zip around and ambush enemies, and you end up running around like an rear end in a top hat chasing shadows down.

I agree, and it's actually a bigger sticking point (HA) than I think it needed to be because the dungeons by themselves are already pretty great. The stealth system makes more cumbersome the general act of moving and dodging around Shadows, and since so many appear in featureless hallways you don't get enough opportunities to stealth around them to justify it.

The game needed to incorporate things like vertical terrain and crawl-spaces much more liberally to really make the system work. Palace 7 has the best blending of stealth, strategy and enemy placement IMO and even it largely boils down to you just outrunning enemies or using sketchy environmental hitboxes to obscure their view of you.

Mementos is also by and large a failure in whatever it wanted to be. If the goal was to provide you a means of grinding in-between Palaces, the low experience and high cost of dungeon crawling (losing a full day's worth of social events) make it something you by and large do not want to do unless you have numerous requests to complete. It's fine, I should say, it doesn't really HURT the game any, but it also doesn't enhance the experience and when every other aspect of the game seems genuinely intended to help provide a better playing experience, tacking on Mementos feels weaker than it should.

It would have been better if Mementos had taken a note from the Amala Labyrinth in Nocturne, and have each of its layers have a punishing environmental gimmick, with the bottom one featuring invisible floors and teleport mazes of course. Negative weather effects should have had impacts both ways, as well, being able to kill the Reaper immediately due to weather conditions feels like a big oversight. The cheap and easy way I could see doing it without making too many other changes is to give the visual gimmicks more meat. When the place is dark, give everyone a 1 percent chance to connect physical attacks; when the air is toxic yellow, give a damage-over-time effect during battles. Make each floor negatively impact you in a different way; in fact, tie it into the social gimmick by having the dungeon be more accessible and forgiving to you should your reputation be positive or whatever.

As it stands, both dungeon traversal and Mementos seem to be areas where the dev team just could not stick the landing; the latter in particular showcases the limitations of the current formula, which I hope gets shaken up considerably for Persona 6.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I did appreciate the ambush mechanic in this one and the general design of all the dungeons. Remember trying to get behind monsters in 4 to get that hit off? Boy oh boy that was frustrating.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Is there a NG+ item for the Strength arcana? I didn't pick one up because I wasn't sure if there was one.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Long mainly due to cutscenes and the like, Palace 7 is much bigger and way more of a slog to get through imo.

Also, I quite liked the stealth system if only for making it much more simple and fun to get ambushes on dudes rather than having to clunkily run up behind a motionless blob and hope you don't whiff with your slow sword swipe. And they just shouldn't have had Mementos, if they wanted to you to be able to grind between palace's you should've just been able to revisit them. Or have Mementos simulate previous palace's or something.

Edit: Genuinely though I think the biggest thing that will keep me from playing P4 or 3 again after this is the dungeons. Because they are so generic and slow compared to the Palace's even though they have their own issues. They could use some polishing but i thought the dungeons and new dungeon-crawling mechanics were really solid.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I agree, and it's actually a bigger sticking point (HA) than I think it needed to be because the dungeons by themselves are already pretty great. The stealth system makes more cumbersome the general act of moving and dodging around Shadows, and since so many appear in featureless hallways you don't get enough opportunities to stealth around them to justify it.

The game needed to incorporate things like vertical terrain and crawl-spaces much more liberally to really make the system work. Palace 7 has the best blending of stealth, strategy and enemy placement IMO and even it largely boils down to you just outrunning enemies or using sketchy environmental hitboxes to obscure their view of you.

Mementos is also by and large a failure in whatever it wanted to be. If the goal was to provide you a means of grinding in-between Palaces, the low experience and high cost of dungeon crawling (losing a full day's worth of social events) make it something you by and large do not want to do unless you have numerous requests to complete. It's fine, I should say, it doesn't really HURT the game any, but it also doesn't enhance the experience and when every other aspect of the game seems genuinely intended to help provide a better playing experience, tacking on Mementos feels weaker than it should.

It would have been better if Mementos had taken a note from the Amala Labyrinth in Nocturne, and have each of its layers have a punishing environmental gimmick, with the bottom one featuring invisible floors and teleport mazes of course. Negative weather effects should have had impacts both ways, as well, being able to kill the Reaper immediately due to weather conditions feels like a big oversight. The cheap and easy way I could see doing it without making too many other changes is to give the visual gimmicks more meat. When the place is dark, give everyone a 1 percent chance to connect physical attacks; when the air is toxic yellow, give a damage-over-time effect during battles. Make each floor negatively impact you in a different way; in fact, tie it into the social gimmick by having the dungeon be more accessible and forgiving to you should your reputation be positive or whatever.

As it stands, both dungeon traversal and Mementos seem to be areas where the dev team just could not stick the landing; the latter in particular showcases the limitations of the current formula, which I hope gets shaken up considerably for Persona 6.

So you want to make Mementos even worse then?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ChaosArgate posted:

Is there a NG+ item for the Strength arcana? I didn't pick one up because I wasn't sure if there was one.

There is, and it lets you keep, I believe, all of the bonuses they give you. You definitely get to keep their capstone ability at least which is great.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hunt11 posted:

So you want to make Mementos even worse then?

I want to make Mementos not boring mostly. At present it is both relatively useless and not super interesting. It's not bad largely because you only go in there for Requests and the Requests are actually a lot of fun, particularly since a couple of them even unlock new Persona...although that only happened maybe twice for me, which was a bit disappointing.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I wish only bosses materialized in Momentos. No mooks.
Run away from a Reaper that spawns immediately, get to treasure chest enemies.

edit:
I'm so sorry.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
So, is the torture and forced confession a normal thing for the Japanese police? Everything I know about the Japanese legal system comes from Phoenix Wright, in that it is an inquisitorial system with an all powerful judge instead of using trial by jury like in the States.