Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Good recommendations thanks I'll check them out. Didn't know Pallbearer had a new album this year. Hyped for that. Hopefully its as epic as foundations of burden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cure for Optimism
Dec 31, 2005

Outside a path to knowledge
Inside a waste of cells
I've never been able to wrap my head around Pallbearer. What is it that so many people seem to like about them? I've seen them live twice, incidentally to other bands they opened for, and both times they were the most excruciatingly boring metal performance I've ever experienced.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

They are essentially doing the whole trad doom thing in a modern package. It generally works. The riffs are good, vocals are solid. Songwriting usually goes enough places. I haven't been able to really get into them but I understand why they're popular.

The secret though is that they're just a poor mans version of Warning - Watching From A Distance aka the greatest most dramatic most emotional doom record ever made. I have the strongest abstract memories tied to it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

They are essentially doing the whole trad doom thing in a modern package. It generally works. The riffs are good, vocals are solid. Songwriting usually goes enough places. I haven't been able to really get into them but I understand why they're popular.

The secret though is that they're just a poor mans version of Warning - Watching From A Distance aka the greatest most dramatic most emotional doom record ever made. I have the strongest abstract memories tied to it.

They have a lot more variation than Warning but that's the main vibe I've always gotten as well.

They also have insanely catchy leads for a doom band and really crisp, clean production that has larger appeal.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I always figured I'd like Pallbearer once I finally listened to them since I like a lot of stuff like Windhand and Electric Wizard.

Just listened to the Fear and Fury ep, I don't know how representative of their work it is, but man that was pretty corny, especially the cheesy lyrics. Kind of reminded me of a 80s hair metal ballads played really slow.

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
I much prefer Magic Circle to Pallbearer. Pallbearer is just kind of boring.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Snowy posted:

Just listened to the Fear and Fury ep, I don't know how representative of their work it is, but man that was pretty corny, especially the cheesy lyrics. Kind of reminded me of a 80s hair metal ballads played really slow.

the first track was a [re-recorded?] demo and the other two tracks are covers.

i unapologetically love pallbearer. don't ask me why.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Misandry Cannon posted:

I much prefer Magic Circle to Pallbearer. Pallbearer is just kind of boring.

Magic Circle rules.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
new dragonforce single is, unsurprisingly, poo poo

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Do they battle accross the plains over mountains towards a distant sun? Victory, triumphant?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

kumba posted:

[...] dragonforce [...] is, [...], poo poo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

Do they battle accross the plains over mountains towards a distant sun? Victory, triumphant?

I'm more interested if they smash any boundaries

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I need to know how much force the dragon produces

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cure for Optimism posted:

I've never been able to wrap my head around Pallbearer. What is it that so many people seem to like about them? I've seen them live twice, incidentally to other bands they opened for, and both times they were the most excruciatingly boring metal performance I've ever experienced.

Maybe you just don't like doom metal or that style of doom metal which is really slow and epic. The songs are almost always kinda too long but thats true for most modern doom metal songs. Black Sabbath is one who had much faster songs but they weren't doom because the sub genre didn't even exist back then.

Also there is a reason its called "stoner" metal and being in that state it definitely makes the experience even better imo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

kumba posted:

new dragonforce single is, unsurprisingly, poo poo

It's been over ten years since Dragonforce blew my mind in high school and made me practice the gently caress out of guitar so I'm going to give this song an honest chance and embrace it. I haven't heard a DF song in a long time.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's been over ten years since Dragonforce blew my mind in high school and made me practice the gently caress out of guitar so I'm going to give this song an honest chance and embrace it. I haven't heard a DF song in a long time.
They've made, what, four albums now since everyone collectively decided to stop caring about them? As far as I can tell, they're all basically the same except they changed vocalists at some point.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Incoherence posted:

They've made, what, four albums now since everyone collectively decided to stop caring about them? As far as I can tell, they're all basically the same except they changed vocalists at some point.

What no way. What was wrong with Asian guy

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

skasion posted:

Thinking of the guitarist maybe?

Incoherence posted:

Something like that yeah. I haven't listened since the 2008 album I think. That sucks they lost ZP Theart but Herman Li was why I loved them anyway. Lose him and no thanks.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ulio posted:

Maybe you just don't like doom metal or that style of doom metal which is really slow and epic. The songs are almost always kinda too long but thats true for most modern doom metal songs. Black Sabbath is one who had much faster songs but they weren't doom because the sub genre didn't even exist back then.

Sure they're doom, they were the first doom band and the first metal band. There's other doom bands with faster songs too, Pentagram for instance.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

skasion posted:

The asian guy is Herman Li and that's one of their guitarists

The former vocalist was ZP Theart and got kicked out for being too drunk iirc, but they replaced him with a guy that tries really hard to sound exactly like him so it didn't matter much.

Oddly enough, ZP Theart is now the vocalist for Skid Row.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Years ago I read an interview in Guitar World where Herman Li said ZP was refusing to sing a bonus track because it was too cheesy.

A Dragonforce song. Too cheesy for their singer.

Also that band was never good but goddamn did I love Fury of the Storm in 8th grade.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeaaaah this new DF album isn't going to do anything for me based on the two tracks out so far. Some cool guitar work but that's it. I'm definitely going to dig up the first few albums this weekend though.

Opposite end of the spectrum, the new Svart Crown sounds like it genuinely hates me. gently caress that's some vicious metal.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Undergang is one of the best underrated death metal bands out there and I can't stop listening to this record since it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNz_QfFdhpQ

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You can safely stop listening to DragonForce after album number Ultra Beatdown. That is, of course, if you make it that far.

My love for DragonForce correlates directly with the 2005-2008 time period, which was when I was in high school. Makes a lot of sense that I stopped listening to them after Ultra Beatdown was released.

gently caress you guys, now I'm listening to Fury of the Storm now.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

From review aggregate sites and user ratings it seems they got better for a while after Ultra Beatdown, but gently caress me if I'll ever find out for myself.
First 2 albums rule hard though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Vargatron posted:

You can safely stop listening to DragonForce

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have precisely one DragonForce song in my library, it's an mp3 I ripped from my copy of Brutal Legend. I hang on to it because by itself it's a pretty amazing track, it's so relentless in its speed and energy you gotta hang on to it for the spectacle.

But I see no reason to buy more.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

I have precisely one DragonForce song in my library, it's an mp3 I ripped from my copy of Brutal Legend. I hang on to it because by itself it's a pretty amazing track, it's so relentless in its speed and energy you gotta hang on to it for the spectacle.

But I see no reason to buy more.

They are all exactly the same so this is the right approach.

Time to revisit a classic:
https://youtu.be/SQSGVGTepSg

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I remember randomly finding the original version of Valley of the Damned on mp3.com when they were still called Dragonheart. The solo in that song still cracks me up. Also the fact that the dude pronounces "sword" phonetically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va522E8A_D8

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Nazzadan posted:

From review aggregate sites and user ratings it seems they got better for a while after Ultra Beatdown, but gently caress me if I'll ever find out for myself.
First 2 albums rule hard though.

They are the AC/DC of metal in that they have played the same song for 6 albums (with the required saccharine ballad thrown in there).

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Vargatron posted:

They are the AC/DC of metal in that they have played the same song for 6 albums (with the required saccharine ballad thrown in there).

I thought that was Amon Amarth

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
While the latter albums may be a bit samey you can't tell me Twilight of the Thunder God is very similar to Versus the World. That one and Once Sent are a bit similar though so I guess maybe there's two at least.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Opal posted:

While the latter albums may be a bit samey you can't tell me Twilight of the Thunder God is very similar to Versus the World. That one and Once Sent are a bit similar though so I guess maybe there's two at least.
Martin Lopez's drumming sort of sets Once Sent apart from all their other albums

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Speaking of Lopez, what ever happened to him after Opeth?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vargatron posted:

Speaking of Lopez, what ever happened to him after Opeth?

He's with Soen now aka one of my absolute favorite bands at the moment.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I've never listened to a Dragonforce song and things are going pretty well.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I've never listened to a Dragonforce song and things are going pretty well.

I only ever heard their one song on guitar hero.

but stop talking about dragonforce and hail satan already https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWk0fcGiFQs

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

New Dying Fetus album later this year "Wrong one to gently caress with". Oh boy!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

New Dying Fetus is something to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

He's with Soen now aka one of my absolute favorite bands at the moment.
Their first album was kinda meh but showed some great promise. I'm really impressed with how far they've come with Tellurian and Lykaia.