Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I can't hear it at all. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

That's NIN64, in the concept image.

Also, where's sweets? There should be sweets in desert, right?

But yeah, Jackass is an face of sanity. With explosives. And science.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

YoRHa is weird, even compared to other androids. YoRHa uniforms are crazy stylish, whereas other androids are more concerned with stuff like 'camouflage' and 'not getting sand in my mouth'.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
That catapult line made me giggle remembering how Endir wanted to launch Kir to the Promosed Land with a trebuchet.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The Dark Id posted:

Video: Episode 13 Highlight Reel (If you cannot hear an ear-piercing high pitched sound at the end of this video, congrats! You’re old and your hearing is starting to get hosed!)
I still can't believe they did that. Wait, no. Actually I'm not at all surprised they did that.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

MythosDragon posted:

I cant hear poo poo at the end, but I heard a slight screech during the cutscene at 2:29. I find it hard to believe my hearing is hosed at 22 though.

You ever wear ear buds? That'll do it..

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I can hear it pretty clearly and I had the sound turned pretty low. I guess 24 isn't that old after all!

Anyways, welcome to Jackass. :allears:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Req.Martyr posted:

You ever wear ear buds? That'll do it..

Not much at all. I'm the guy that gets confused over people liking music so much.

Where is everyone else hearing it, because I assume end means the 8 seconds of walking slowly, but I definitely hear something in the middle of the panning view cutscene.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Anyways, welcome to Jackass. :allears:
So, when's the sidequest involving 9S stapling his junk coming up?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The beeping is during this section of the cutscene and stops at the next jump cut. It pulses, and you'll know it if you hear it.

Obviously YoRHa pods are just all childproofed to prevent pesky youths from misappropriating them all willy-nilly

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

AradoBalanga posted:

So, when's the sidequest involving 9S stapling his junk coming up?

after you finish with the trip through the desert, basically

Jackass is really good at sorting out bullshit and getting to the heart of problems.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
^^^Usually with explosives.

Those Stubby Stacks are my favorite Machine types in the game. I love that even the in-game documentation has no idea what to make of them and is utterly baffled as to why they exist. :allears:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It's strange. I hear it in the video, but I don't remember hearing it when I actually got to this part of the game. I also only hear it in the panning shot, and not when the camera goes back behind 2B.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp, headbanging has taken its toll :negative:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wait, if I strain I can barely hear it in my left ear :corsair:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Still got it, where it is the ability to hear annoying high-pitched noises. :confuoot:

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The beeping is during this section of the cutscene and stops at the next jump cut. It pulses, and you'll know it if you hear it.

I didn't hear anything the first time I watched it on my tv, but second time on a different device it was unmistakeable. So anyone who doesn't hear it, it could be your speakers and not your ears.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Obviously YoRHa pods are just all childproofed to prevent pesky youths from misappropriating them all willy-nilly

Knowing exactly where it is let me barely hear it but yeah my speakers could just be hosed, they're getting fairly old themselves. Especially once I turned the treble way up.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 18, 2017

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

dis astranagant posted:

Welp, headbanging has taken its toll :negative:

Got a pair of Hearos? These things are probably what has prevented my tinnitus from getting worse: https://www.hearos.com/collections/music/products/earplugs-high-fidelity-series-with-free-case

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The facade masks freak me out.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
edit: nothing to see here

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 18, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

What does that 5000-cost HUD: Sound Waves thing do?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

That durn racket no one can hear :corsair:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Try again later, my dude.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 18, 2017

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mors Rattus posted:

You get a tiny spectrogram in the upper-right of the screen which is mostly curious because of what it suggests based on its waveform: that your characters can hear the soundtrack too.

It also responds to ambient noises and battle sounds.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

I bought that after someone on the station mentioned that pods make a distinctive noise.

It did not, in fact, help. At least 5000 is cheap in the long run.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I'm gonna assume Id will explain what it does in the next update, otherwise its quite silly.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

ManSedan posted:

The facade masks freak me out.

I'm beginning to develop theories of what's going on in this world and all of them make me sad

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mors Rattus posted:

it makes a little sound intensity gauge show up in the corner

it is basically useless

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Yeah, I don't care about that. There's two optional HUD elements that are 5000 G a pop. The sound one makes a soundwave icon in the top right corner of the HUD. It picks up in-game music so... it's pretty useless. I guess if you're completely deaf and don't feel like resorting to looking up where Pod Program upgrades are (you can still just visually ID them in the right spot.) There's also one for Fishing that will err... automatically notify you if you can fish somewhere. Spoilers: If you're in ankle deep liquid and stay still for one second, it'll tell you if you can fish so...

They're both complete wastes of money and Chip slots.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Hmm, I guess that's sound balancing/amping for you. When I first played the game I never heard anything during that part yet I clearly hear it while watching the video.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Yo I'm Jackass, watch this explosion

how long is this game?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Dark Id posted:

Yeah, I don't care about that. There's two optional HUD elements that are 5000 G a pop. The sound one makes a soundwave icon in the top right corner of the HUD. It picks up in-game music so... it's pretty useless. I guess if you're completely deaf and don't feel like resorting to looking up where Pod Program upgrades are (you can still just visually ID them in the right spot.) There's also one for Fishing that will err... automatically notify you if you can fish somewhere. Spoilers: If you're in ankle deep liquid and stay still for one second, it'll tell you if you can fish so...

They're both complete wastes of money and Chip slots.

there's a couple of random spots with a giant pool of water below you can fish at where it might be useful but generally you can see them soooo

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

(Kho-)dazat talked about it in the main Automata thread. They read/write Japanese and English so it's first hand from them.

They also said it's there in Automata in regards to 2B, but it's not night and day different characters.

Zero was a lot more deadpan in the original Japanese. Not that she didn't get mad, but she comes off as notably angrier in the English. Like, some of the lines she would deliver really apathetically in the original dub are much more over-the-top ragey in the localization. I wouldn't go as far as saying it changed her entire character, though.

It's also there to a degree in Automata with 2B and 9S, but less so. I think it's an attempt to get the English dialogue to sound snappier; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In the end, I think it's better than coming off as too direct/stilted (see Persona 5).

dazat fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 18, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

after you finish with the trip through the desert, basically

Jackass is really good at sorting out bullshit and getting to the heart of problems.

Admittedly, it's possible she created some of those problems, but hey. When you're in a world that filled with bullshit, you've got to break a few omelettes.

Even in a game full of enjoyable writing, Jackass is a standout.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

The Dark Id posted:

It’s not like there’s a drought of weird creepy Pokey bots in the area, 9S. We’ll be here all day if we try scrapping them all. Chill out. Let’s continue with the mission.

You joke, but given they're the only drop source I ever found of two different types of upgrade material...

Needless to say, their mass slaughter soon became a policy of mine.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Count me as another one who is hearing it just fine in the video but only got the resulting thing by chance or outside knowledge. Weird.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Zomborgon posted:

Count me as another one who is hearing it just fine in the video but only got the resulting thing by chance or outside knowledge. Weird.

Same. I could hear it in the video but not in my game.

Anyway Jackass is the best android.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
loving christ, all the love for android Jackass is making me feel like there's gonna be something really wrong involving her at some point. Like, the entire thing was planned by noted mastermind Yoko Taro so that when this LP and thread would pop up, people who'd played the game would swoon over her, so that the rest of us poor schmucks would figure something was wrong, but otherwise have no loving idea what exactly that is and so have no choice but to be paranoid about everything.

This is the level of sheer distrust I'm at right now. This is what Yoko Taro does. The whole "let's put a sound that can't be heard by senile old farts in the game" thing is just a way to add even more confusion to the whole experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I bought/installed the useless sound chip from the get-go and never looked back. I'm a music mark so it was a nice touch.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Yo I'm Jackass, watch this explosion

how long is this game?

If you ignore the sidequests, it's something like 30-40 hours. I (almost) 100%'d the game and I clocked in at around 80 hours.

• Locked thread