Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

What's the longest period an ousted PM has stayed in parliament?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Turnball has announced 457 visas are getting scrapped.

You what?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Senor Tron posted:

What's the longest period an ousted PM has stayed in parliament?

Billy Hughes was in parliament for about 30 years after he lost the PMship.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh they are just bringing in a new one. Maybe they can call it a 458.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
a 1488 visa

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I just want to know what happens to those already here on 457s.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Wheezle posted:

Christmas island.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Wheezle posted:

They just said grandfathered in during a transition period. Who knows what that looks like in practice

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

they're scrapping 457s to replace them with a new visa which is suspiciously similar to 457s

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Wheezle posted:

They, too, get scrapped

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wheezle posted:

Free accomodation will be provided on PNG.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Remember those rather significant changes to GST collected on imported goods meant to be coming into effect July 1st or so? Specifically how all goods even under the current limit of $1k from overseas will now be taxed by making the vendor responsible for collection & payment to Australia even though they're an overseas entity?

Well I hope nobody shops on Ebay because it looks like Australia will be geoblocked if the legislation passes.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/ebay-threatens-to-block-australian-shoppers-over-gst-20170417-gvmkoe.html

Incidentally the legislation hasn't been put through yet and this tax change is meant to start in two and a half months.

Any bets on whether Australian imports grind to a complete halt mid year, whether everything builds up in a giant oversized import overflow warehouse while 3 customs workers desperately try to catalogue 100% of all minor goods imports or whether the attempted legislation doesn't happen?

(After July 1st I'm going to import a bunch of super low value stuff like cheap cables from overseas vendors that I know won't be registered with the ATO just to see what happens)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If this government kills Ebay imports they are SO hosed.

Solemn Sloth posted:

“Everyone has got to live within their means and government ultimately is no different to businesses and households,” Mr Abbott said.

“If you spend more than you earn, ultimately you go broke and our country has been living on the credit card since 2008 and sooner or later it is all going to end badly. This budget is as good as any time to get on with it.”

Presumaby this is the same tony abbott that took out a loan to cover living expenses?

Oh come on now, how is any man supposed to support himself on a paltry $300,000 per year? Of course he had to get that cost of living loan for $700,000!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Re the new 457s:

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

DancingShade posted:

Remember those rather significant changes to GST collected on imported goods meant to be coming into effect July 1st or so? Specifically how all goods even under the current limit of $1k from overseas will now be taxed by making the vendor responsible for collection & payment to Australia even though they're an overseas entity?

Well I hope nobody shops on Ebay because it looks like Australia will be geoblocked if the legislation passes.
http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/ebay-threatens-to-block-australian-shoppers-over-gst-20170417-gvmkoe.html

Incidentally the legislation hasn't been put through yet and this tax change is meant to start in two and a half months.

Any bets on whether Australian imports grind to a complete halt mid year, whether everything builds up in a giant oversized import overflow warehouse while 3 customs workers desperately try to catalogue 100% of all minor goods imports or whether the attempted legislation doesn't happen?

(After July 1st I'm going to import a bunch of super low value stuff like cheap cables from overseas vendors that I know won't be registered with the ATO just to see what happens)

A mass protest of buying lots of random cheap poo poo off of Alliexpress and seeing if it gums up the works

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh come on now, how is any man supposed to support himself on a paltry $300,000 per year? Of course he had to get that cost of living loan for $700,000!

Ah I remember that one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABtlI2Wk3Ws

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/billshortenmp/status/854185516744364032

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

What in the everloving gently caress is this poo poo

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Wheezle posted:

What in the everloving gently caress is this poo poo

It's new username material for the thread.

Quaintass: comedy gold right there.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Rowan Dean posted:

The world of aviation was rocked to its core this week following an alarming incident in which an elderly male passenger was hauled out of his seat, beaten, dragged down the aisle and turfed off a plane by airline security guards. The incident took place on a crowded Quaintass flight out of Sydney and was filmed by terrified passengers who watched as the screaming man was left bloodied and bruised. "We had no choice," explained the CEO of the airline, Mr Alan Joystick. "The plane was fully booked with a typical diverse and gender inclusive crowd from inner-Sydney when we realised we needed an extra seat for a transgender member of the cabin crew called Raylene. Naturally, we looked around to see who was the least diverse passenger on board and we immediately spotted this 70-year-old doctor who wasn't wearing his designer Gay Marriage "Acceptance" ring, with the little gap in it symbolising the gap in gender equality in Australia, which we had so generously handed out with the boarding passes at Check-In. Somehow he'd slipped on board without slipping it onto his finger. Obviously, we couldn't expect LGBTIQ passengers to tolerate such a blatant display of intolerance, homophobia, and transphobia on the same flight as themselves."

The man has since been identified as a doctor with a dark and sinister past. "We have found out that he used to trade things like flowers or a trip to the movies followed by dinner and bubbly for unnatural heterosexual acts with members of a different sex. He was not the sort of person we want on our airline," explained an unrepentant Mr Joystick. "Marriage equality is all about love and compassion, so if you choose to disrespect our community by not wearing your voluntary Acceptance ring then don't be surprised if you get turfed off our flights."

In other news this week, the ABC confirmed that it had reinstated "axed" newsreader Natasha Latham after an embarrassing on-air gaffe which had gone viral on social media. "Media reports that Natasha has been 'barred', 'banned' or 'fired' are completely untrue," explained a spokesperson for the ABC. "Although we take on-air standards seriously, we don't always expect perfection."

The controversy was sparked when Ms Latham, an attractive young brunette intern from Campelltown, was caught out whilst hosting a popular cable TV current affairs show. "Natasha was daydreaming about being back in Parliament when the camera cut to her and suddenly she realised she was live on air. But instead of smiling calmly Natasha opened her mouth wide, and out came all this stuff about oppressed white men and domestic violence and identity politics and lefties and political correctness and sexism and Rosie Batty and disabled radio presenters and man-toddlers and gay schoolboys so we had no choice other than to cut to a commercial break." The spokesperson assured reporters that Ms Latham would soon be back behind her regular desk. "But only on Facebook, obviously," he added.

Meanwhile, the world of political comedy was rocked to its core this week by the sudden death of much-loved satirist Scott Morrison. Morrison was out walking in the high altitude corridors of the Victorian ABC when he suffered sudden heart failure. "His career died a natural death doing what he loved best, looking for the media spotlight," explained a teary spokesperson. "He was in pretty rude political health, and thought he could tackle Jon Faine, but he made the fatal error of double-crossing Ray Hadley. It was downhill from there. He never stood a chance."

Scott Morrison was best known for his deadpan TV send-ups of being a federal treasurer. "You could hardly tell him apart from the real thing!" said one tearful fan. "Particularly the way he used all that waffly bureaucratic language in such a smug and self-important manner. It was hilarious." Said another: "Scott was quirky, witty and brilliant – a man who exposed the total absurdity, hypocrisy and stupidity of our national economics debate every time he opened his mouth."

Apart from his regular stand-up routines during question time, Morrison also co-wrote the popular comedy skit "The Games", in which a devious and underhand Communications Minister plots to bring down a first term Prime Minister before the Canning byelection with the help of a loyal deputy and 54 bed wetters. "It's a classic comedy of errors. But the ending is a real shocker."

In other news, the world of schizophrenia was rocked to its core by the sudden reappearance of two Julia Gillards. Said a spokesperson for Beyondblueties: "One Ms Gillard underfunded the NDIS, the other is foaming at the mouth about it. We have no idea which is the Real Julia."

Rowan Dean's 2nd AFR collection Way Beyond Satire https://www.wilkinsonpublishing.com.au

Read more: http://www.afr.com/opinion/columnists/mistakes-on-the-plane-as-ringless-doctor-carted-off-20170412-gvj9ti#ixzz4ea70GEPL
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
The only thing more ridiculous is that someone got paid actual money to write that.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

yeah hahaha mental disorders and discrimination are loving funny as heck, says white dude from "Outsiders"

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I didn't want to link to the article just in case someone accidentally clicked it. gently caress driving traffic their way for this steaming pile of poo poo.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Start looking for cafe work, Daisy: the master is on a roll.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Mods pls rename me Quaintass CEO Alan Joystick

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

it's pretty much the literary equivalent to Bill Leak

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Recoome posted:

it's pretty much the literary equivalent to Bill Leak

At least Leak took the time to draw his artwork. This is just a markov bot that has been fed data from Calebs Tumblr.

And now for something differently the same - ie stupid but a different stupid

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

poo poo like this is exactly why I bought one of those rings. I've already started hearing so many tears over the existence of these things and, good lord, the loving conspiracy theories!

Companies are making lists of which employees wear their rings (because companies are totes handing them out to all staff and making them mandatory to wear) and threatening to fire anyone who doesn't wear theirs, don'tcherknow.

Given that I've heard this same story from over half a dozen people from very different walks of life, I can only assume someone is pushing that lunacy on talk radio or some Boltesque newspaper column.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I discriminate based on spurious and unimportant details of other people's lives, so that means others must want to discriminate against me based on this ring! It's just common sense innit?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mods please change my name to attractive young brunette intern from Campelltown

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm Dead Pan ScoMo

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The Age posted:

Private schools would be able to create "satellite" Indigenous-only campuses that would reap hundreds of thousands in extra taxpayer funding under reforms presented to the Turnbull government.

As entirely Aboriginal campuses, the satellite schools would be eligible for maximum government subsidies, worth tens of thousands a year per student - regardless of the wealth of the parent school.

The idea is being pushed by the Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia, whose chief executive Beth Blackwood played down concerns about segregation of Aboriginal students.

"It's not an isolationist approach. They do have opportunities to integrate with the wider school community," she told Fairfax Media, citing extra-curricular programs like sport and music.

"At the end of the day, if you're working in partnership with the Indigenous communities and it's something they want for their youth … then it can work."

In its pre-budget submission to the Turnbull government, AHISA pointed to schemes run by St Andrew's Cathedral School and Barker College - both in Sydney - that had achieved "exceptional results".

Gawura School was spun out of St Andrew's and is now registered as its own entirely Aboriginal school, meaning it attracts the highest possible rate of additional funding from the federal government.

A similar initiative, Melbourne Indigenous Transition School, was launched in Richmond last year, offering places for 22 pre-secondary Aboriginal students.

The change sought by AHISA would allow private schools to establish satellite campuses without registering them as separate schools, which requires a separate board and principal.

In its submission, AHISA said the reform would "speed up the process", reduce administrative costs and encourage the proliferation of satellite campuses.

Education experts welcomed the interest independent schools were showing in closing the education gap, but said it was vital the plan be executed fairly.

Pete Goss, the director of the Grattan Institute's school education program, warned it could "create more segregation" if schools cherry-picked bright Indigenous students rather than opening a lottery.

"They have an obligation to take any Indigenous student who is needy," he said.

Mr Goss also argued schools should be prepared to cop a reduction in funding at their main campuses if they segregated the most disadvantaged students to a satellite campus.

"If you're going to ringfence, you ringfence on both sides," he said. "I don't think they would expect to have their cake and eat it too."

But the Turnbull government, which is planning a major overhaul of school funding later this year, backed away from the proposal on Tuesday.

Education Minister Simon Birmingham said he welcomed all ideas but the government already provided $278 million annually in Indigenous loadings to schools.

Those schools already have "the autonomy to make decisions about how they distribute that funding to students and between campuses", Senator Birmingham said.

All schools are eligible for the loading, which starts at 20 per cent per student and increases to 120 per cent if the school's entire student cohort is Aboriginal.

Jennifer Buckingham, a senior research fellow at the Centre for Independent Studies, was "squeamish" about segregation but said satellite campuses could work if they served a genuinely different community.

For example, Darkinjung Barker College on the NSW central coast is 70 kilometres from the main Barker College on Sydney's upper north shore.

"It is much more justifiable to have a separate campus that is aimed particularly at Indigenous students if it is located in the area they live," Dr Buckingham said.

Mr Goss said the only holistic way to close the education gap was "a full court press" from schools serving Indigenous communities, most of which were public.

Seperate but equal :cawg:

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
I linked this to a friend and they started talking to me about how Clontarf schools are indigenous-only and they work, and I'm still trying to explain how fundamentally different a program run in the areas where a lot of Indigenous kids live and run with Indigenous and community involvement is to a private school wanting to shove some kids into a separate campus so they can game a system intended to help the former groups. I don't care if there are circumstances where the funding model is good, this particular proposal just sounds like a cash grab of the worst kind. We already pour enough money into private schools, isn't the whole point of a private school that it's NOT government funded?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ten Becquerels posted:

I linked this to a friend and they started talking to me about how Clontarf schools are indigenous-only and they work, and I'm still trying to explain how fundamentally different a program run in the areas where a lot of Indigenous kids live and run with Indigenous and community involvement is to a private school wanting to shove some kids into a separate campus so they can game a system intended to help the former groups. I don't care if there are circumstances where the funding model is good, this particular proposal just sounds like a cash grab of the worst kind. We already pour enough money into private schools, isn't the whole point of a private school that it's NOT government funded?

No, the point of a private school is to keep the proles separated from their betters.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Ah yes, can't have the Aborigines mixing with our nice, white students. Should've thought of that.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I'm pretty sure the point of a private school is to make money.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The list of occupations you can get an 457 for also changes effective tomorrow. More than 200 taken off.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Got a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The list of occupations you can get an 457 for also changes effective tomorrow. More than 200 taken off.

My favourite that is getting removed is judges.

• Locked thread