Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I did most of the sidequests (but no grinding of any kind) in under 30 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm still in the process of doing everything because I didn't learn my lesson from Nier and Drakengard 3, both of which I bought (almost) all the DLC for.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Well the D3 DLC is definitely necessary if you want to do the right thing and put an end to the elven menace.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm still in the process of doing everything because I didn't learn my lesson from Nier and Drakengard 3, both of which I bought (almost) all the DLC for.
I usually don't like 100%ing games 'just because' but I really enjoyed doing it in Automata. The side quests flesh out the world a lot and upgrading the weapons is easy & totally worth it for the weapon stories. There's nothing remotely close to the Eagle Egg bullshit in Nier 1.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Well the D3 DLC is definitely necessary if you want to do the right thing and put an end to the elven menace.

Remember, it's not manslaughter if they aren't human!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't know if anything happens with Jackass, I just know she's funny. She blows stuff up and doesn't give a poo poo.

I bet she chose that name on purpose just to mess with people.

I do wonder how old she is, though. If the Resistance androids are all pre-alien invasion that means she's REALLY loving old. I'm not sure if they say any more non-YoRHa androids are being made anywhere. Possibly?

It looks like machine lifeforms, despite being flimsy, are able to be produced en masse which is why everyone's been fighting them for ten thousand years. They just keep cranking 'em out.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
D3 hides a lot of character characterization behind DLC. And behind the short stories. I think the TDI LP is legitimately the best way to experience the game because of the way those story pieces get woven into the main story which isn't how it would have normally happened.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

ultrafilter posted:

Remember, it's not manslaughter if they aren't human!

This is objectively correct.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Sindai posted:

I did most of the sidequests (but no grinding of any kind) in under 30 hours.

I did all but like two of the sidequests and ground my way up to level 99 for the gently caress of it and it took me 55 hours.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Sadly I dont remember exactly where I heard that tidbit about the translation
Though thinking back on it, I do believe it might have come from a gaming/anime podcast

And as someone who suffers from extreme tinitus, I cant hear poo poo
And even if I did hear it, id probably think it was usual noise.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

This is the level of sheer distrust I'm at right now. This is what Yoko Taro does. The whole "let's put a sound that can't be heard by senile old farts in the game" thing is just a way to add even more confusion to the whole experience.

i'm betting that the biggest twist will be that nothing of note happens by the end of the game. 2B and the androids win and humanity returns to Earth. no major characters die. in fact, the war is solved diplomatically in the end and the aliens and machine lifeforms leave on their own accord. every character lives happily every after and the last third of the game is a farming simulator where 2B struggles to find a purpose in a post-war world of peace.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I was worried about my hearing since I didn't remember the ringing sound when I did this part, so I turned up the volume after reading the spoilers and am relieved to know my hearing is fine. Indeed so good that I'm full of regret from turning up the volume and using headphones. It's me I'm Jackass now.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

This is objectively correct.

Four did nothing wrong.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

loving christ, all the love for android Jackass is making me feel like there's gonna be something really wrong involving her at some point. Like, the entire thing was planned by noted mastermind Yoko Taro so that when this LP and thread would pop up, people who'd played the game would swoon over her, so that the rest of us poor schmucks would figure something was wrong, but otherwise have no loving idea what exactly that is and so have no choice but to be paranoid about everything.

This is the level of sheer distrust I'm at right now. This is what Yoko Taro does. The whole "let's put a sound that can't be heard by senile old farts in the game" thing is just a way to add even more confusion to the whole experience.

And the great thing is, people couldn't even make up fake spoilers if the rules allowed it because this is a Yoko Taro game, and any of those spoilers might be true.

All I can say is that my love for Jackass is deep and sincere.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hi I'm 9S, and today I'm gonna get blown the gently caress up and slide around on top of this giant robot while its shooting at my friend.

I heard the beeps at 2:29. I'm 26 and have always had overly sensitive ears, probably related to :spergin:

Jagged Jim posted:

Four did nothing wrong.

I didn't understand the whole "gently caress Elves" thing. I thought it was just some dumb nerd meme people were driving into the ground.

Then I played Baldur's Gate II, and I got it. OH DID I loving GET IT.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I like elves.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Ah, there is Blowing Stuff Up with Yourself mechanic. I wonder if TDI will show it, and it's consequences, to us.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

loving christ, all the love for android Jackass is making me feel like there's gonna be something really wrong involving her at some point. Like, the entire thing was planned by noted mastermind Yoko Taro so that when this LP and thread would pop up, people who'd played the game would swoon over her, so that the rest of us poor schmucks would figure something was wrong, but otherwise have no loving idea what exactly that is and so have no choice but to be paranoid about everything.

Her name is Jackass and she introduces herself with an explosion. How can you not like her?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The beeping is during this section of the cutscene and stops at the next jump cut. It pulses, and you'll know it if you hear it.

Obviously YoRHa pods are just all childproofed to prevent pesky youths from misappropriating them all willy-nilly

I'm 29 and have a small dose of tinnitus but I can hear it if I hold my phone up to my ear but not until you said when to listen for it. And also not when I played this section on my own..

Someone on my Granny's street had something like that sounding off constantly. I lived very close by and it annoyed the hell out of me because I knew it was there to gently caress with me and my siblings or the like 5 or 6 other kids in the area who were mostly friends of mine. Fuckin olds.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I can hear that sound super well in that video, its very unpleasant but I literally never heard anything like that while playing the game.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Pwnstar posted:

I can hear that sound super well in that video, its very unpleasant but I literally never heard anything like that while playing the game.

Same, which is really weird to me.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
For the record, if you're not paying attention during that one specific portion of that cutscene, then you'll only hear it in-game if you head out towards that area shown. I don't recall hearing it in the cutscene either, but I did hear it later while heading toward what appeared to be a side quest marker that was conveniently placed in that vicinity, later on.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I don't recall hearing that sound anywhere in-game, and certainly not where it's eminating from in the video.

Guess it's the beginning of the end for my ears.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Well, that's a fun, teeth-vibrating sound.

Jackass seems like she'll be fun. Since I don't even know if all those swears survived the past few millennia, I'm just gonna imagine that Kaine left a memoir or something lying around and Jackass found it and grabbed a word she liked. At least until otherwise specified by the game.

The Dark Id posted:

The rust oil pipeline eventually dead ends

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The [E]nd of YourHearing

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014
Does anyone else think Desert Supply Guy sounds like he's voiced by Matthew Mercer? I thought that every time I heard him speak while I was playing, but IMDB says nothing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

apocalypticCritic posted:

Does anyone else think Desert Supply Guy sounds like he's voiced by Matthew Mercer? I thought that every time I heard him speak while I was playing, but IMDB says nothing.

He might be. Mercer was one of the names in the credits under "miscellaneous voices".

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't recall hearing that sound anywhere in-game, and certainly not where it's eminating from in the video.

Guess it's the beginning of the end for my ears.

Are you using the same setup for your ps4 and PC / do you have the steam version?
It might simply be that the audio setup you're using for your PS4 cuts those frequencies out.

If you have the same setup / the steam version. I've got nothing.

E: :tinfoil: unless Youtube's reencoding now detects soundwaves in those border ranges and drops them down a couple kiloHertzes so everyone can hear them. :tinfoil:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dude.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ManSedan posted:

The facade masks freak me out.

Me too. When I got to this part and saw my first mask, I had to stop and put down the controller. My boyfriend had no idea why though, so I made him sit through an entire video LP of Nier. Sorry Id, he just doesn't have the patience for screen shot LPs.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 18, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Omobono posted:

Are you using the same setup for your ps4 and PC / do you have the steam version?
It might simply be that the audio setup you're using for your PS4 cuts those frequencies out.

I've been playing on the PS4 so I guess it could just be my setup.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Yeah I don't recall hearing that in game, but I think it's more about me not registering it as anything important as it's also the exact same sound that my laptop makes randomly so i might have assumed it came from that.

I can hear it no problem though.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 18, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Omobono posted:

E: :tinfoil: unless Youtube's reencoding now detects soundwaves in those border ranges and drops them down a couple kiloHertzes so everyone can hear them. :tinfoil:

gently caress you for making me check, but with the music at approximately the same volume it's a little more distinctive in the video than in-game, for me. I can definitely hear it knowing it's there, but it's subtle enough that if you're at all distracted by the scenery you're probably going to miss it.

e: and getting close to it gives me a headache. :toot:

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 18, 2017

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

Desert Resistance Member Concept Art – I wonder how many android generations back was the one with all Splinter-Cell goggles, cargo pants and cloaks.
I'd easily take that outfit over that goddamn gothic lolita crap that the Yorha androids wear.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'd easily take that outfit over that goddamn gothic lolita crap that the Yorha androids wear.
But they're the ones who will break the stalemate which the earlier versions (goodness how many of them, spread over what 10000 years and 12+ invasions) didn't.

I'd really think hard about moon real estate, honestly.

Let's not even get into the versions which were all dressed like final fantasy protagonists, or highschool kids, or... well I don't know, ones with animal ears or something.

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 18, 2017

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I too have Tinnitus (hello username origin), and I could hear it just annoyingly fine.
I feel this is the worst kind of foreshadowing

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

apocalypticCritic posted:

Can't be, he looks neither blonde, nor royal.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Me too. When I got to this part and saw my first mask, I had to stop and put down the controller. My boyfriend had no idea why though, so I made him sit through an entire video LP of Nier. Sorry Id, he just doesn't have the patience for screen shot LPs.

I myself dont have the patience to sit through a VLP, so whatever suits him best. Its weird how different people can be that causes them to use the same term to desribe 2 opposite actions.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

The Dark Id posted:

Yeah, I don't care about that. There's two optional HUD elements that are 5000 G a pop. The sound one makes a soundwave icon in the top right corner of the HUD. It picks up in-game music so... it's pretty useless. I guess if you're completely deaf and don't feel like resorting to looking up where Pod Program upgrades are (you can still just visually ID them in the right spot.) There's also one for Fishing that will err... automatically notify you if you can fish somewhere. Spoilers: If you're in ankle deep liquid and stay still for one second, it'll tell you if you can fish so...

They're both complete wastes of money and Chip slots.

I'm deaf and I probably wouldn't bother with that HUD upgrade. That particular type of sound visualizer tends just to annoy me with how hard they're to interpret. It barely tells me anything. Now if they had a chip that showed where sounds were coming from, like if there's something walking behind me or whatever, I'd definitely buy that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Dark Id posted:

Yeah, I don't care about that. There's two optional HUD elements that are 5000 G a pop. The sound one makes a soundwave icon in the top right corner of the HUD. It picks up in-game music so... it's pretty useless. I guess if you're completely deaf and don't feel like resorting to looking up where Pod Program upgrades are (you can still just visually ID them in the right spot.) There's also one for Fishing that will err... automatically notify you if you can fish somewhere. Spoilers: If you're in ankle deep liquid and stay still for one second, it'll tell you if you can fish so...

They're both complete wastes of money and Chip slots.

Funny you should mention it, I'm at about the same point the LP is and I already ran into a fishing spot I most likely would have ignored without the fish chip telling me that yes, I can indeed fish here. :v:

The sound wave one sounded exotic enough to me I didn't immediately buy it, but I plan to later, just to complete my collection of weird crap no-one needs. Collecting weird poo poo is obligatory for me to do in every RPG I play.

Will you go back to the area you just blazed through to get to the desert? I found it really fascinating and spend nearly an hour there, exploring every tiny little bit before continuing to the desert.

Fredrik1 posted:

Yeah I don't recall hearing that in game, but I think it's more about me not registering it as anything important as it's also the exact same sound that my laptop makes randomly so i might have assumed it came from that.

I can hear it no problem though.

Similar thing happened to me, in my case I just assumed that sound was part of the desert background music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
27 and I heard it! Not dead yet!

I did have to turn my volume up though. Was worried for a minute there.

• Locked thread