Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Pell posted:

Yeah. It was the first time I had ever been there. They have a tiny museum with some drat nice cars in it including a GT40 and a RS200 evo.

Wait... tiny museum? Did they move the rest of them? When I was there for the ST school they had 6 or so GTs and dozens of Shelbys.

(360 photo) https://goo.gl/photos/CUxFfeTrJ1ZjVs1P9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

Wait... tiny museum? Did they move the rest of them? When I was there for the ST school they had 6 or so GTs and dozens of Shelbys.

(360 photo) https://goo.gl/photos/CUxFfeTrJ1ZjVs1P9

This is what they have now

And here a few other fun cars that were there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That is a massively reduced collection from before. I wonder where the rest of the cars went?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Someone I know works at a VW dealer in Texas, his boss just picked this up at auction, 30k on the clock:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

InitialDave posted:

Someone I know works at a VW dealer in Texas, his boss just picked this up at auction, 30k on the clock:

How much did he pay for it? That's a dream car!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MetaJew posted:

How much did he pay for it? That's a dream car!
Didn't say, and I'm not sure his boss is telling.

Edit:
Pretty certain it's this one, based on the lot number in the wondow:
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1968-LINCOLN-CONTINENTAL-4-DOOR-SEDAN-206100

$9,350 seems bloody good to me.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 16, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Automotive perfection, really.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Powershift posted:

Not a giant ford fan myself, but I adore those continentals for good reason. Good on that dude.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Being resonably across NSW engineering..... there is no way in hell it passed legally. There is three RTA based tests it would require and one of those is a full emissions test which basically nothing like that could hope to pass.

There are also chassis tests which I also cant see how he could pass.

In NSW its brutal enough to engineer suspension but this? I seriously doubt that car is close to legal.

He's from Smithfield, there's no way anything is done legally.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Suzuki Jimny I spotted last night! Washington plates.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Powershift posted:

They are. I worked on one for a customer and took an hour long test drive and didnt even realise it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

clam ache posted:

They are. I worked on one for a customer and took an hour long test drive and didnt even realise it.

I love my 73. You can't be in a hurry in it, but somehow you're never late.

edit: read that in mcconaughey's voice

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

I love my 73. You can't be in a hurry in it, but somehow you're never late.

edit: read that in mcconaughey's voice

I read it in his Dazed and Confused voice.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Apologies for potato phone camera but the content is worth it, spotted a 246 GTS in the flesh:

Well played, 'Ari'(?)

Bonus! Couldn't get any better shots of it where it was parked:

Cheeky license plate: NEINPDK

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

thechalkoutline posted:

Well played, 'Ari'(?)

A GTS four-are-ee

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

thechalkoutline posted:

Apologies for potato phone camera but the content is worth it, spotted a 246 GTS in the flesh:

What year Fiero is that?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Reminds me of this

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
No matter how much I love the Stratos and think that it is a better version of that car, I cannot deny that old man Enzo really picked a winner when he partnered with Pininfarina. The 246 is beautiful

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
It's funny they were once rather unappreciated (not a real Ferrari) and reasonably attainable. A family friend had a yellow one (maybe a black one too? A bit fuzzy) back in the early 80's Australia on what would have been comfortably middle class wages.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1970-PLYMOUTH-BARRACUDA-TORC-201179

Who wants an engine swapped 'Cuda making over 1k HP and 2k lb-ft of torque?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

iospace posted:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1970-PLYMOUTH-BARRACUDA-TORC-201179

Uh... Who doesn't?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Locator posted:

Uh... Who doesn't?

I'm out. That's not the kind of power forgives you for loving up.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wasabi the J posted:

So, that one viper craig's list ad?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

iospace posted:

The 10k RPM tach is a nice touch.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
They must have done some magical loving things to that diesel if it revs that high.

Probably it's a little bit for show.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Actually it's super forgiving because if you do anything more than idle down the street the tires instantly break traction, blow out, and send fragments 80 yards in every direction.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

How about a slow rear end 150hp toyota? https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0517-283047/1967-toyota-2000gt/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

It's sooo pretty! Yes please!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:syoon:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

iospace posted:

loving Roadster Shop. I seriously live like 15 minutes from that place. I need to just go over there and ask if I can look at all their cool poo poo.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

loving Roadster Shop. I seriously live like 15 minutes from that place. I need to just go over there and ask if I can look at all their cool poo poo.

They have a website for that! http://roadstershop.com/gallery/current-vehicle-builds/

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Powershift posted:

How about a slow rear end 150hp toyota?

Yeah but my wife already has a Camry! :v: I love it

Also my father in law dailys this:

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 19, 2017

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

iospace posted:

They could probably pick up some IAT if they didn't insulate the compressor outlet pipe, the outlet temperature is probably 200degC+ and even the hottest engine bay isn't much more than half that. I remember something where a shop picked up 10degC post-intercooler by removing the compressor outlet insulation on a customer's car

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

iospace posted:

I'm probably gonna be the odd man out but that is loving hideous. That awful rear valance and the giant rear end wheels are ruining it for me :argh:

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Two years ago, my freshly restored 1962 Corvair Monza Sedan was trashed by a drunk driver.

This afternoon, I finally drove it home from the body shop. :unsmith:

It needed a new rear quarter, dogleg, section of the rocker panel, door, rear suspension arm, axle and wheel bearing, wheel, and tire. the door pillar had been pushed in about an inch.
The process of locating a rust free quarter panel and door took most of the time.
The body shop did an absolutely amazing job and the drunk's insurance just cut a $5500 check to pay for it. All I have to do now is replace the hubcap and beauty ring that was destroyed in the impact and mount the rocker panel trim that I never got a chance to install before the accident.
This car has special meaning to me because the local Corvair expert who guided me through the restoration (IE did most of the work) died of ALS about 8 months after the accident. This was his last Corvair restoration. Insurance was originally going to total the car and offer us $4500 but I wouldn't let that happen.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 19, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nice job fighting for it MullardEL34. Insurance companies wanting to write off a restoration are one of the terrible evils in our world, and I'm glad you didn't let them get away with it.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Worth so much more than the sum of its parts, and such deeper significance than "hey, a cool car from the 60s".
Good on you for fighting the good fight, now get out there and enjoy it!

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

NoWake posted:

Worth so much more than the sum of its parts, and such deeper significance than "hey, a cool car from the 60s".
Good on you for fighting the good fight, now get out there and enjoy it!

The Locator posted:

Nice job fighting for it MullardEL34. Insurance companies wanting to write off a restoration are one of the terrible evils in our world, and I'm glad you didn't let them get away with it.

Thanks guys. You have no idea how happy I am. It's almost 4AM and I've just been sitting in my garage and staring at it, drinking a beer and smoking a few Tareytons.
After what happened, I'm almost afraid to drive it, but I don't want to become "that guy" who worships a garage queen. Mike, my deceased Corvair Mentor, told me to "Drive the hell out of it."
I'll honor his wishes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I remember you posting that crash, I'm glad it's back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm really glad that turned out well in the end. Here's to Mike.