Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Are there any replacement stick covers that basically make the PS4's sticks into DS1/2/3 style? Preferably involving stripping the old ones off so that they're not particularly any bigger than the originals?

Does convex with bumps work, or does it have to be completely bald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bald's fine, but I guess if there's no other option I can just shave the bumps off or whatever.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Obsurveyor posted:

I like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Silicone-Analog-Controller-Joystick-Controllers/dp/B00OXT579S

Turn bad convex sticks into concave and plenty grippy. KontrolFreaks are great if you don't have tall sticks, tall sticks are the best, I still put these over them.

Convex provides more of a control surface for your soft human thumb pads. Concave makes you a rim pusher. Use your brian morans

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Bald's fine, but I guess if there's no other option I can just shave the bumps off or whatever.

Get this pack that we were just discussing. It covers all bases. I use the bumpy convex ones and they are unbeatable

Fuzz posted:

Interesting, I was tempted to try these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHYYWPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_vFt9ybY8YNMXB

Because the super tall option seems hilarious but possibly great.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Is anyone playing FF XV still?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Im gonna start in the summer

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Uncle w Benefits posted:

It's reminded me that I should play it since I've had it since January and am only on chapter 2 :v:

i need to stop buying games

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Im gonna start in the summer

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Uncle w Benefits posted:

in the sense that i started it and didnt finish it

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Finished it near release.
I'm bummed because I didn't like it much and the poorest chapters are only now getting fixed, after I returned it.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I haven't touched it since launch, and now it's on patch 1.8.

Do you ever get to use magic in the game?

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Yeah you get a magic ring that does magic thing.
Apparently it's good now? They talked about fixing it, because it fuckin blew before.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
After beating Horizon Zero Dawn I'm burrrrrrned out on open world games, so I can't be assed to even look at FF XV right now.

I need a new vidya gaem to get jazzed up about on my new Samsung TV that actually has HDR support.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I finished it a couple of weeks ago and I'm doing the post-endgame content now. The combat is so fun.

Magic essentially consists of drawing fire/ice/lightning energy from deposits dotted around the map (often around campsites where you rest for the night) and combining those with items to generate elemental damage dealing grenades. It's not too elaborate.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Uncle w Benefits posted:

After beating Horizon Zero Dawn I'm burrrrrrned out on open world games, so I can't be assed to even look at FF XV right now.

I need a new vidya gaem to get jazzed up about on my new Samsung TV that actually has HDR support.

Tlg is very pretty in hdr

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
What is Tlg? Oh The Last Guardian. I'll see if I can rent it!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Fuzz posted:

My launch DS4's thumb sticks are finally starting to tear. Anyone used caps for them? Which ones are the preferred on Amazon?

Grip-its (amongst others) were already linked but I'll add gel tabs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GOOSV98?ref_=sr_1_1&qid=1492472075&sr=8-1&keywords=ps4%20gel%20tab&sa-no-redirect=1&pldnSite=1

I'd just get those and grip-its and see which you prefer. They're both really good but different styles tbh

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Grip-its (amongst others) were already linked but I'll add gel tabs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GOOSV98?ref_=sr_1_1&qid=1492472075&sr=8-1&keywords=ps4%20gel%20tab&sa-no-redirect=1&pldnSite=1

I'd just get those and grip-its and see which you prefer. They're both really good but different styles tbh

I can vouch for GelTabz that, in spite of the very nineties name, they are phenomenal at what they are supposed to do.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Uncharted 4 should do HDR

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Uncle w Benefits posted:

One of the few Final Fantasys that I actually finished. I thought it was pretty fun despite the pacing issues. It also has one of the few endings that affected me on an emotional level.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ok, wrap it up everyone.

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/854067855440191490

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:barf:

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Can someone paste that so I don't have to click on a kotaku link?

Thanks.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Thanks.
It's a Kotaku article...?

I mean, if you don't want to read their content then you don't want to read their content.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Thanks.

Click the link, your ad revenue alone will let the writer of this article buy a new Ferrari.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

quote:

The PS4’s design accommodates roaches better than other consoles’ because its ventilation grates are wider. Those vents are located at the bottom of the console, so roaches can get in with ease. Also, according to repair professionals, the PS4’s insides gets hotter than the Xbox One’s because of its internal power supply. Warm, in an enclosed space and close to the floor, PS4s are great roach nesting grounds.

Roach-infested PS4s are a big problem. Especially because Sony won’t take them in for repairs (Sony did not provide comment). Instead, independent console repairmen have the pleasure of scrubbing the roach crap off your console’s power supply. Matt Zieminski, who works for console repair suite IFixit, told me that most of the time, the consoles aren’t sent in for roach cleaning—the users don’t know they’re infested. The PS4s just stop working and the owners don’t know why. Turns out, the PS4’s internal power supply fries roaches onto its components, which can stop the PS4 from turning on. When the bugs have made little homes in there, and have little roach kids, those roach kids and their feces can melt onto the hardware.

Zieminski knows a PS4 is infested because “Roaches leave traces,” he says. “Their poop color is distinct and has a certain smell to it. We kind of know right off the bat if there are poop stains on the vent of the fan—we assume it’s bug-loaded.” To get it working again, console repairmen usually replace the power supply. Then, they’ll take the console apart, sterilize it with an ultrasonic cleaner, and put it back together.

How do gamers prevent this disgusting and traumatic scenario? PS4s should be stored in the open, where they have enough airflow for breathing. They should also be stored higher up, so roaches have a hard time climbing to them.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
That makes sense.

PS4s are engineered better than XBones! Heat management is extremely serious.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Awesome! posted:

in the sense that i started it and didnt finish it

I am 50 hours into Persona 5 right now. I plan to play Bayonetta, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and the Witcher 3 DLC after that. If I can get all that done before the end of June when I'll be out of town and hopefully have a Switch to play Zelda, I might slot Final Fantasy 15 in, I put in 10 hours before getting distracted and will probably have to start over

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
So you guys also maintain a mean pc gaming computer, or are you guys strict console folks? I ask because, in my advancing age, I'm not buying games anymore, and I'm not trying to replace slick computers every two years. Now it just seems that a couch and a controller are more satisfying than a pc.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not one game bug pun in that whole article. Wow

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I have a 4 year old laptop as my only pc. My PC gaming is like, RTSs from a decade ago and that's basically it. I still use my 360 some, but mostly just PS4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Uncle w Benefits posted:

So you guys also maintain a mean pc gaming computer, or are you guys strict console folks? I ask because, in my advancing age, I'm not buying games anymore, and I'm not trying to replace slick computers every two years. Now it just seems that a couch and a controller are more satisfying than a pc.

I was a pc games kid growing up and gave up on pc in like 2009 when my mobo died on my outdated machine and i had adult life to take up my time and most everything i wanted was on 360 too

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Both. My slick computer sits under my tv and I use a controller on it.

There's less and less point, besides older games and emulation ability. If you just want to play some modern games and rent them then a ps4 is by far the best most user friendly option.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I built a PC last year and I am aiming to have this last for at least 4 or 5 more years, with maybe a video card swap in 2.

I am ending up playing most new multiplatform AAA games on PS4 because of the convenience of rentals, though. PC gets used for PC exclusives or for catching up on older games from Steam sales

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I built a PC last year and I am aiming to have this last for at least 4 or 5 more years, with maybe a video card swap in 2.

I am ending up playing most new multiplatform AAA games on PS4 because of the convenience of rentals, though. PC gets used for PC exclusives or for catching up on older games from Steam sales

Keep us updated

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I play games on one of those Chinese consoles that looks like a PS4 but plays knockoff super nes games.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I used to maintain a mean gaming PC, but gave up on it as my spare time shrinks. I keep a laptop which is good enough for RPG or strategy games which are my main non-couch genres. Been playing a lot of Pillars of Eternity for example.

Been clearing out a lot of junk from home the last few weeks and going through my graveyard of gaming PCs and consoles, so I've been reflecting on this a bit. People talk about these mythical $500 gaming PCs that make consoles obsolete and supposedly run the latest games at 192 frames per second with ultra high graphic settings and mods, but I've spent that much on the video card alone and was always underwhelmed with the performance and longevity. To a machine each gaming PC I've had has had a PSU and video card die and need replacing.

Soon enough I'm just playing older and mostly multiplatform games from Steam sales or strategy/RPG games with modest requirements on a box that takes up half my desk which is full of LEDs that sounds like a vacuum cleaner when running. If it's a third person game like Tomb Raider, Batman, Dark Souls, etc I'm going to be using the controller from the console I've bought for exclusives anyway.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hope someday strategy games catch on in console gaming because it's really the only thing I feel like I'm missing out on anymore. It sucks they have never thought it was worth trying to make Civ or Starcraft or anything really work on console.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Both those games have been on consoles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I hope someday strategy games catch on in console gaming because it's really the only thing I feel like I'm missing out on anymore. It sucks they have never thought it was worth trying to make Civ or Starcraft or anything really work on console.
I've never understood that; a Paradox game is one thing and I'm sure you can't touch some Korean teen's APM in StarCraft on a DS4 but I don't get why Civ wouldn't work on a console -- awkward maybe but doable. Does it just hit the CPU too hard or is there no market?