Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VagueRant posted:

The refugee plotline was legitimately moving, even though I wonder if The 100 did it better. (Seriously, season 1 and 2 of that show are underrated gems.) Surprised whenever I see complaints about Naomi or her actor.

I got 20 minutes into the first episode of The 100 and turned it off because it was garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fridge corn posted:

I got 20 minutes into the first episode of The 100 and turned it off because it was garbage

It's one of the shows in which the first season takes a while to get going due to the old exposition trap.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fridge corn posted:

It takes an upswing really, really quickly. By the end of episode two you'll be like :stonk:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

etalian posted:

It's one of the shows in which the first season takes a while to get going due to the old exposition trap.

enraged_camel posted:

It takes an upswing really, really quickly. By the end of episode two you'll be like :stonk:

It was the manufactured teen drama that really put me off

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah I bounced off after the first episode, too. It just seemed like a lovely YA novel/teen drama with a bit of sci-fi fluff around it. If you guys think it's worth it, though, I may give it another shot.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Orange Red Bull posted:

I like Amos more than Holden

I agree that Holden isn't an interesting character, but liking Amos more doesn't say much, because Amos is obviously the best.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

am0kgonzo posted:

I agree that Holden isn't an interesting character, but liking Amos more doesn't say much, because Amos is obviously the best.

Holden is basically lawful good Killjoy, Amos is interesting because he's a nihilistic, unpredictable murder golem.

Also confirms that future Baltimore still sucks dick

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

etalian posted:

nihilistic, unpredictable murder golem.

:perfect:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

enraged_camel posted:

What happened? I got a few minutes in and was like, "Ah, it's a teen drama. I'm about 10 years too old for this," and dipped. Do you think someone with that complaint would stick with it after a few episodes?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Accretionist posted:

What happened? I got a few minutes in and was like, "Ah, it's a teen drama. I'm about 10 years too old for this," and dipped. Do you think someone with that complaint would stick with it after a few episodes?

I think so. The first episode is a huge misdirection. The show turns into Lord of the Flies in the most sudden and unexpected way soon after, and gets better and better from that point forward. It does have a few romance plots but their theme is definitely not teen drama

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I think so. The first episode is a huge misdirection. The show turns into Lord of the Flies in the most sudden and unexpected way soon after, and gets better and better from that point forward. It does have a few romance plots but their theme is definitely not teen drama

It's a bait and switch in the best possible way. First episode makes it feel like your standard CW show with beautiful people but then it quickly switches over into a bleak post-apocalyptic atmosphere.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The Jasper thing is a bit stupid though? They just decided that nah we want to keep the character. A spear through the chest is no biggy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Accretionist posted:

Do you think someone with that complaint would stick with it after a few episodes?

One of the people in what you think would be the standard CW love triangle gets stabbed to death by a 12 year old haunted by nightmares of watching her parents executed by airlock who then kills herself when the noted psychopath of the bunch is about to be lynched as the murderer.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 17, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The 100 is loving great and super dark. Child murder, children murdering others, people getting hung, mass genocide, blood slaves, body harvesting, all sorts of crazy poo poo. There is some teen melodrama but drat, it's good TV.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm into episode 2 and want ape-men to harpoon them all.

Edit: I had to turn it off a few minutes episode 3. This is a, "surprisingly dark," teen drama.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 17, 2017

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Baronjutter posted:

Also prax is a belter but he talks like a standard issue polite stem nerd.
Aslo, plant guy.

Sorry for the long call back, but this made me actually laugh.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The 100 is cheesy as gently caress but it does pull the rug out under your feet a few times in the best possible way

I was 100% going "this is more CW standard garbage" during the first few episodes... but then everyone starts dying, the protagonists become genocidal fuckers, everyones love interest dies horribly and suddenly an A.I is taking over the world whats HAPPENING

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Phi230 posted:

Its a shame we gotta wait a year for them to wrap this up

The books are perfectly paced for a TV show and the show runners totally hosed it. I can't imagine a better end point for Season Two than the one from the book but it'll occur half way into Season Three at this rate. Because of that too it's kind of dumb that they have to condense time so much, so that at this point in the show the Rocci crew have been together for months whilst in the books it's been years with the gap between books.

A lot of the new material is great in the show, but season one ending with the escape from Eros was dumb.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The 100 deffo has some rough patches and some cheese, but when it got good it was some of the most compelling TV on air for two years. First ep is generic teen bullshit and even the fans hate it. Most people were hooked by the darker turn and unexpected developments in the following episodes (and the general take is that in season 1, people vastly prefer the Grown Up Space Station Intrigue to the planetside Teen Camp Drama Bullshit), but it took me a bit longer.

Specifically it took me until the teen's adversaries used biological warfare on them by sneaking a plague ridden prisoner into their camp, and you go "oh right, there's no loving rules of engagement in the post apocalypse. poo poo!"

Plus I keep talking about Holden's hard decisions in The Expanse and there's a poo poo ton of incredibly bleak moral dilemmas similar to that in The 100. (The incredibly similar plot strand of people willingly and beautifully sacrificing themselves to save oxygen in The 100 has a muuuuch darker ending than The Expanse.) I was vaguely sold on it by Couch Chat by the promise that when three hundred people get burned to death in The 100, the show will force the characters to walk through their charred corpses.

I also always appreciated that after introducing you to it's shiny and oh so pretty cast, the show has no qualms about properly loving them up and making everything look ugly and horrible. Take Clarke in the first episode compared to Clarke in season 2 who just jammed her thumb through someone's gunshot wound to get that knife:

So yeah, if you're looking for a really morally uncomfortable post-apocalypse sci-fi show, the first two seasons are well worth the "ehhh" early stuff.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I notice Alex uses a 3d mouse for his space flying. Keep wondering whether to get one for Elite; joysticks seem so cumbersome sometimes.. wonder who made that prop choice

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Holden reminds me a lot of Seth Bullock from Deadwood. He's single-minded and boring but at the same time you don't know how far he's going to take "doing the right thing" to the point that he's a ticking time-bomb.

Now that he's given up hunting for white walkers I don't know what his motivation's going to be.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I notice Alex uses a 3d mouse for his space flying. Keep wondering whether to get one for Elite; joysticks seem so cumbersome sometimes.. wonder who made that prop choice
I have one for CAD. It's not nearly as precise as you'd think. --edit: That said, I have the cheap one without hand rest.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 17, 2017

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Looks like I nailed it on the finale, and looks like we'll finally get a real good look at ole blue eyes.

edit: Also, weird. Looks like the Arbogast doesn't undergo the EXPLODING DIAGRAM effect around Venus.

Waiting for all those MYTHBUSTERS memes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Kerbal Space Program supports 3D mice, so I started using one for craft control.

It works, but it’s not what I’d call practical. It makes docking a challenge.

Joysticks are faster and more accurate. If you need to control attitude and translation at the same time, use two.

But I can’t deny that it looks cool when Alex uses it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 17, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

AlternateAccount posted:

edit: Also, weird. Looks like the Arbogast doesn't undergo the EXPLODING DIAGRAM effect around Venus.
That'd probably look cool and made an important point, but that's probably very expensive in terms of cost.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
drat, I'd been looking forward to that all season.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Platystemon posted:

Kerbal Space Program supports 3D mice, so I started using one for craft control.

It works, but it’s not what I’d call practical. It makes docking a challenge.

Joysticks are faster and more accurate. If you need to control attitude and translation at the same time, use two.

But I can’t deny that it looks cool when Alex uses it.

In interviews, people on the show have said that the decision to not have joysticks in the cockpit is because they wanted to use control interfaces that could plausibly be operated at extremely high G-forces.

Thinking about that makes me want to see someone trying to play KSP strapped into a centrifuge to simulate g-forces.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ATP_Power posted:

In interviews, people on the show have said that the decision to not have joysticks in the cockpit is because they wanted to use control interfaces that could plausibly be operated at extremely high G-forces.

Interesting. That actually makes a lot of sense.

If they just used it as a really short travel joystick instead of trying to control six axes at the same time, it probably wouldn’t be so bad.

The real device would get pushed around in high‐g and give spurious inputs, but whatever, they can engineer the mechanism differently in the future version.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Interesting. That actually makes a lot of sense.

If they just used it as a really short travel joystick instead of trying to control six axes at the same time, it probably wouldn’t be so bad.

The real device would get pushed around in high‐g and give spurious inputs, but whatever, they can engineer the mechanism differently in the future version.

Future version could be liquid cored (in full compartments to prevent sloshing from impacting things)in full g and drain to an empty, ultralight super-carbon fiber version at high g to keep contant input forces, although it would really have to account for finger mass. No goon pilots at high gs.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I finally caught up with the season and I have to say that, I love the Chrisjen Avasarala character more and more (get to the loving point) and I'm really enjoying Bobbie Drapper also; Bobbie cramming cucumber finger sandwiches into her mouth like she's never eaten before was some funny poo poo. I like strong female characters and they are two of the best. But, good lord, I was sad to see Joe Miller go.

Has anyone read the novels, are they worth picking up?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

radical meme posted:

I finally caught up with the season and I have to say that, I love the Chrisjen Avasarala character more and more (get to the loving point) and I'm really enjoying Bobbie Drapper also; Bobbie cramming cucumber finger sandwiches into her mouth like she's never eaten before was some funny poo poo. I like strong female characters and they are two of the best. But, good lord, I was sad to see Joe Miller go.

they're real good

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The novels are 100% worth it, in my opinion. They're very well written and perfectly paced - great to just sit back and read for fun, especially if you like how the universe is harder than most. It's not deep, thought-provoking sci fi that's gonna make you rethink the universe, but it's a solid read.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

404notfound posted:

they're real good

Crazycryodude posted:

The novels are 100% worth it, in my opinion. They're very well written and perfectly paced - great to just sit back and read for fun, especially if you like how the universe is harder than most. It's not deep, thought-provoking sci fi that's gonna make you rethink the universe, but it's a solid read.

Good to know. That's a big part of the attractive quality of this show; no singularity, no beaming down to the surface, no time distorting hyper jumps, just regular people in lovely circumstances who happen to live in space. If I was actually in a world where I could get all the food I wanted from a replicator like in Star Trek, I'd just eat steak and hamburgers all day everyday and never have any reason to leave my cubicle. But, in a world where I had to worry about my employer or the government turning off my water because I wasn't working fast enough, I'd truly believe in eating the loving upper class.

Also, I couldn't get into The 100; season 1 just had to much lord of the flies poo poo going on. Now that I can binge through the seasons, I might give it a try again. Some shows are just not worth watching on a weekly basis.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 18, 2017

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

vermin posted:

Holden reminds me a lot of Seth Bullock from Deadwood. He's single-minded and boring but at the same time you don't know how far he's going to take "doing the right thing" to the point that he's a ticking time-bomb.

Now that he's given up hunting for white walkers I don't know what his motivation's going to be.

I was legit skimming through the last couple pages intending to post a similar comparison because I'm currently rewatching Deadwood. In both, the writers seem to realize that their hero isn't even in the top five most interesting characters. They're both written and acted well, but in Deadwood, they have the advantage of being able to shuffle Bullock to the background because he's not set up as the driver of the plot in any source material. Ironically, despite being in a much larger setting, the Expanse show has to keep Holden more in the mix because he's in close quarters with the more fleshed out crew of the Roci.

Also, I'm glad recent episodes have brought out the Bobbie character I know and love to folks who weren't impressed with her in her early scenes.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Joe Miller should come back imo. Thomas Jane, we need u

Avasaraka fuckin owns. I'm glad she gets to do way more this season and the season is better for it.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Pharmaskittle posted:

I was legit skimming through the last couple pages intending to post a similar comparison because I'm currently rewatching Deadwood. In both, the writers seem to realize that their hero isn't even in the top five most interesting characters. They're both written and acted well, but in Deadwood, they have the advantage of being able to shuffle Bullock to the background because he's not set up as the driver of the plot in any source material. Ironically, despite being in a much larger setting, the Expanse show has to keep Holden more in the mix because he's in close quarters with the more fleshed out crew of the Roci.
Also, I'm glad recent episodes have brought out the Bobbie character I know and love to folks who weren't impressed with her in her early scenes.
Exactly. I don't know what happens in the books but it feels like the story's shackled to Holden at this point being the protagonist.

Zzulu posted:

Joe Miller should come back imo. Thomas Jane, we need u
Avasaraka fuckin owns. I'm glad she gets to do way more this season and the season is better for it.
Miller, Bobbie, and Amos going on space adventures with Avasarala as their boss

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

vermin posted:

Miller, Bobbie, and Amos going on space adventures with Avasarala as their boss

See, this guy gets it

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

vermin posted:

Miller, Bobbie, Drummer and Amos going on space adventures with Avasarala as their boss

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

radical meme posted:

I am a bit into Cibola Burn, and while I enjoy the books, the show is better. I can't think of a single sequence in the books that's superior. It's good because there's more of the things you dig, but doesn't necessarily add more clarity or context.
I'm failing to think of another adapted TV series where the books are a deeper dive, Game of Thrones maybe? This is not like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

radical meme posted:

They are all good except book 4

• Locked thread