Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

HookShot posted:

The one thing everyone in this thread can agree on.

*almost everyone:

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

that bruins player basically fell into ryan, was a good call by tim peel

womp woooooooooooomp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
I would really feel bad for the Bruins if they weren't the Bruins, primarily, but secondarily if they had not known it was Tim "Aww poo poo, This Boy Here Though" Peel was the referee. Like, they announced it. It was on sheets of paper that they read. They KNEW.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Slappy Pappy posted:

If Filip Forsberg wins the Stanley Cup or God forbid the Conn Smythe I swear I'm going to lose my poo poo.

No big deal trading a stud player for character fit, just look at Phillip Kessel. Toronto feels good for him!

Also Boston, Boston feels good for him too.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Do you know how much it takes to bribe Tim Peel to gently caress with the Bruins?

Like, a medium coffee, sometimes he wants a cruller as well. poo poo, I'm glad I got my money's worth tonight.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So 15 minutes seems like a very low amount for a star player to play in overtime. Can someone more knowledgeable of hockey tell me why Ovetchkin might have sat for as long as he did?

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

grack posted:

Do you know how much it takes to bribe Tim Peel to gently caress with the Bruins?

Like, a medium coffee, sometimes he wants a cruller as well. poo poo, I'm glad I got my money's worth tonight.

This is just slanderous. Tim Peel FUCKS. He does not gently caress for or against anything or anyone. He is like the wind that breaks a branch, there is no malice or intent. The wind exists and broke the branch. Timothy Peel exists and hosed a hockey game.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Captain Internet posted:

No big deal trading a stud player for character fit, just look at Phillip Kessel. Toronto feels good for him!

Also Boston, Boston feels good for him too.

Kapanen is working out pretty well for the Leafs!

But I do miss me some Kessel.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Hawks bad :toot:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Aurora posted:

Hawks bad :toot:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also relegate the flames.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Flames are one game away from being eliminated despite the refs best efforts to give them tonight's game. :toot:

Also the fact the Flames fans are whining about the refs when the only reason the Ducks didn't beat the Flames in regulation was because of the refs is amazing.

Late edit: Also the Ducks 3rd goal was fine. Thompson's stick looked to be at the crossbar level for me, which by the rulebook itself means it's good.

Kilza fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 18, 2017

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Holy poo poo Go Preds.

Have the two top seeds in a conference ever been swept before, because we are very close to seeing it happen.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
All 4 of tonight's games ended in fuckin OT. gently caress yeah playoff hockey.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Captain Internet posted:

All 4 of tonight's games ended in fuckin OT. gently caress yeah playoff hockey.

Two of the OTs kinda blew, but the other two were awesome.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Orange V. Yellow WCF.

I want it so bad, I hardly dare say it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LumpyGumby posted:

Holy poo poo Go Preds.

Have the two top seeds in a conference ever been swept before, because we are very close to seeing it happen.

Caps won game 1? :confused:

Unless you mean a pseudo-sweep.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Also, there were 2 games with 2-goal deficits come back from and 2 games with 3-goal deficits come back from. NO LEAD IS SAFE.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Captain Internet posted:

Timothy Peel exists and hosed a hockey game.

Didn't he also give the deep dickin' to (i forget which) the ducks/flames or sharks/oilers game late last week as well?

He exists to gently caress seems very apropos.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

grack posted:

Two of the OTs kinda blew, but the other two were awesome.

I just like the fact that the overtimes ended in just the right time to let me click over to the next game and watch them end. Also that the Leafs game ended right before the Flames game started.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Duke Chin posted:

Didn't he also give the deep dickin' to (i forget which) the ducks/flames or sharks/oilers game late last week as well?

He exists to gently caress seems very apropos.

Sharks/Oilers, and yeah, the reffing wasn't very good that night. Although Oilers lost because they stopped playing after the 1st, not entirely because of Tim Peel, which is better than what happened with Bruins/Sens tonight.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

iospace posted:

Caps won game 1? :confused:

Unless you mean a pseudo-sweep.

I meant the west conference, both the Hawks and Wild are down 3-0.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The playoffs are going pretty loving fantastically, imho

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

LumpyGumby posted:

I meant the west conference, both the Hawks and Wild are down 3-0.

To show you how weak Minnesota looked going into the playoffs, I thought they were the lower seed.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

The playoffs are going pretty loving fantastically, imho

I have to agree.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
nashville's crowd is underrated. i went to a playoff game there like 4 years ago and its by far the raddest sports thing i've ever experienced. that arena was loving wild

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I am glad that Elliot is both a terrible goalie and plays for the Flames.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
https://twitter.com/TomAWillis/status/854155103598768129

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

whatis posted:

nashville's crowd is underrated. i went to a playoff game there like 4 years ago and its by far the raddest sports thing i've ever experienced. that arena was loving wild

I've now seen two playoff OT wins there and it is loving nuts and awesome.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I hate Tim Peel but fyi it was the other referee who called the penalty on Nash

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Your fuckin up the narrative.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but Peel is the one who didn't call it on Ryan.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Mind_Taker posted:

Guys, hear me out. I have a crazy idea but don't shoot it down right away. Okay are you ready? Here it goes:

Maybe the Capitals should play their best players significantly more than their worst players?

Maybe Tom Wilson shouldn't be only 2 minutes behind Ovechkin in TOI in a close game?

Maybe...JUST MAYBE...your good players give your team a better chance of winning?

I, for one, am totally ok with the icetime that Ovie has had

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
The rookies are so good, you guys.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The Caps don't really fold in the playoffs. They've lost every goddamned time, but the usual routine is to massively outplay their opponents and still manage to not win. Though this playoff series, which is 2-1 and still completely winnable by the Caps, has been closer than series past in the course of play, I think the Caps carried their fair share of it (especially if I helpfully blackout the third period last night.) Noted Caps playoff choker Kevin Shattenkirk missed a WIDE OPEN NET when they still had momentum and seemed for all the world like the team that would win, but that was a turning point and you could see it at the time. I guessed the Caps in 6 because if you paid attention to the last 20 games, the Leafs were pretty loving good so this isn't a shocking place to be to me, but christ almighty the NARRATIVE is so loving oppressing as a fan of DC sports. Go Wizards!

e: Oh yeah. Trotz, dude. Wtf? Play the good players. Hopefully he'll feel empowered to use his actual coaching powers and put together optimal D combos.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 18, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I'm gonna go full Kawalimus.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I feel like there's no point to even watching the Capitals right now. Because even if they do win this series, they're just going to lose to the Penguins in like 5 or 6 in the next series, at least I assume that's who they will end up playing. Also the Penguins are guaranteed to win the cup, again.

Congratulations Capitals, you've managed to disinterest me in PLAYOFF HOCKEY, something I figured was impossible.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Kawalimus posted:

I feel like there's no point to even watching the Capitals right now. Because even if they do win this series, they're just going to lose to the Penguins in like 5 or 6 in the next series, at least I assume that's who they will end up playing. Also the Penguins are guaranteed to win the cup, again.

Congratulations Capitals, you've managed to disinterest me in PLAYOFF HOCKEY, something I figured was impossible.

Whats it like being a 'fan' of a team you don't follow or even watch play games?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

A Typical Goon posted:

Whats it like being a 'fan' of a team you don't follow or even watch play games?

I have followed and been a fan of the Caps since I was a kid. In fact they were my first ever sports team I was really interested in if you don't count the Baltimore Skipjacks. So please don't tell me what extent I need to track the team to be a fan. And I would follow them more but that same mindset I just mentioned before has been the case for the regular season for a while now. But I watched the Caps back in the days of Dale Hunter and Peter Bondra. I started in the early 90s. And yes I do like the playoffs a lot more than the regular season. So sue me.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's only happened 3 times ever, so yeah.

This was posted in the NBA n/v

Blind Pineapple posted:

It has happened 5 times, but only 2 were really legit.

1994: Nuggets over Sonics (Legit, although the score differential is funny)
1999: Knicks over Heat (Lockout year, with a full season, the Knicks are better than an 8 seed)
2007: Warriors over Mavs (Legit af)
2011: Grizzlies over Spurs (Manu Ginobili missed series with a broken arm)
2012: Sixers over Bulls (Derrick Rose missed series with first of many torn ACLs)

In hockey home ice means nothing and the teams aren't as top-heavy

Now my question is have both 1-seeds fallen in the first round before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Caps are shook. Leafs in 4.

BWV posted:

Are the Caps shook?

Drunk Canuck posted:

The Leafs are amazing, they got the Caps shook.

Koopa Kid posted:

Caps are shook as hell

:regd08:

• Locked thread