Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Oh hey I figure I should share here. I've collected various powershell scripts for password notification management. Most of these are cut and paste jobs with minimal customization, but Just Work. For my MSP crew run these against any server with AD module.

https://github.com/amitai/passwordnotification

Now you don't have to use netwrix anymore. If you have any cool things for me to add to my collection let me know.

your snipe will expire in 14 days :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Netbotz is good and also watchdog which is a little cheaper

Seconding watchdog. I've used these in past offices and wiring closets. Give them an IP address, turn on snmp and point an MRTG service at them for pretty graphs of temperature/humidity/etc

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Oh hey I figure I should share here. I've collected various powershell scripts for password notification management.
Do people pay attention to password change notification emails any more than they do to the two weeks of tooltip notifications?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Aunt Beth posted:

Do people pay attention?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

on behalf of my day today.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Aunt Beth posted:

Do people pay attention to password change notification emails any more than they do to the two weeks of tooltip notifications?

Nope, hey it's telling me I'm not authorized to use the printer or get to folders!
You're password expired an hour ago.
Oh it told me that was going to happen for 4 weeks! I don't have time to change it just fix this!
Well I can't it's invalid now press control alt delete and change your password
This is highly inconvenient!!

God that was such a fun conversation. We only make you change your password every 4 months and give a 30 day warning. If you don't change it before hand I have zero fucks to give.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

pixaal posted:

Nope, hey it's telling me I'm not authorized to use the printer or get to folders!
You're password expired an hour ago.
Oh it told me that was going to happen for 4 weeks! I don't have time to change it just fix this!
Well I can't it's invalid now press control alt delete and change your password
This is highly inconvenient!!

God that was such a fun conversation. We only make you change your password every 4 months and give a 30 day warning. If you don't change it before hand I have zero fucks to give.

do you not just automate the ticket system to kick back the boilerplate Dear *insert fucko name* email

and refuse to answer the phone(except your boss and vips natch) because

no ticket?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

do you not just automate the ticket system to kick back the boilerplate Dear *insert fucko name* email

and refuse to answer the phone(except your boss and vips natch) because

no ticket?

Small shop, what ticket system :v:

Honestly we're small enough that I'm rarely doing helpdesk stuff and most of my week is filled with projects meetings and keeping the servers running.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

pixaal posted:

Honestly we're small enough that I'm rarely doing helpdesk stuff and most of my week is filled with projects meetings and keeping the servers running.

ey if its small enough you can keep track of everything via whiteboard or brain more power to ya

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

ey if its small enough you can keep track of everything via whiteboard or brain more power to ya

If anything is moving between days it gets a ticket made by me, too much push back from management and almost everything is projects in the ticketing system that is more just time management / tracking for personal use. I'm not leaving a mess for the next person so they have no incident history like I inherited.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

pixaal posted:

If anything is moving between days it gets a ticket made by me, too much push back from management and almost everything is projects in the ticketing system that is more just time management / tracking for personal use. I'm not leaving a mess for the next person so they have no incident history like I inherited.

documenting the stuff you do helps you get raises and additional personnel or at least justification for it. :shrug: just take care of yourself friend, small shop IT tends to get backburnered until its a problem

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Helpdesk software for a small-shop quantity of agents is free/cheap. There's no reason to try and keep all that poo poo in your head or a cluttered inbox.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

documenting the stuff you do helps you get raises and additional personnel or at least justification for it. :shrug: just take care of yourself friend, small shop IT tends to get backburnered until its a problem

I document the crap out of it, been a really good position but they have no intention of giving me a raise. I learned a ton much like you would working at an MSP planning on moving to something larger before end of year nothing has seemed interesting yet resume is up to date.

Thanks Ants posted:

Helpdesk software for a small-shop quantity of agents is free/cheap. There's no reason to try and keep all that poo poo in your head or a cluttered inbox.

I'm using spiceworks for personal tracking, I just can't get users to use it and management views it as a waste of time when a user can just call me. Honestly user issues are considered high priority unless something is down and I've rarely had someone have to wait unless it's effecting everyone such as phones being down. Most day to day is a bit of automation a bit of programming a bit of maintenance a bit of keeping everything running. I'm underpaid for the number of hats I wear, but that's small shop for you. At least I've only been called on a weekend once in 2 years.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I've often entertained the idea of throwing out my ticket system and just getting one of these instead bolted to the end of my desk

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you should go full glen beck :beck: violently aggressive IT.

seriously as long as you are getting paid well. :shrug:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Aunt Beth posted:

A lot of users do not receive the tooltip notifications because they are not on the LAN or not on a Windows computer. These scripts ensure that they will receive notification. If they don't act on it, fine, but at least I have record that they were notified.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Your users don't have to use the ticketing system. Just enter the ticket for them, takes 2 seconds to forward the email to helpdesk@company.zendesk.com or whatever

please do not use spiceworks btw. try manageengine if you need free https://www.manageengine.com/products/service-desk/free-it-help-desk-software.html

if your company can swallow $60/year get zendesk.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

someone should do a compilation of small shop essentials including the finest, cheapest helpdesk, alerting, remote management tools

manageengine
prtg
ninite

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Like to throw Zoho Desk into the ring - free for 10 agents is a pretty sweet deal, and the paid plans are not expensive either.

https://www.zoho.com/desk/pricing.html

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

someone should do a compilation of small shop essentials including the finest, cheapest helpdesk, alerting, remote management tools

manageengine
prtg
ninite

Trac from Edgewall is also pretty great, it has a built in Wiki, development versioning, and ticketing system

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Confluence

Seconding PRTG

Cylance :black101:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Beefstorm posted:

Engage the Microsoft Fast Track Center. They have a team that will walk you through the integration.

There's a minimum license commitment. But I believe you hit it.

I think the minimum is 100, but yea.

If you do use Fast Track be prepared to get a TON of calls from Bulgarian peeps who want you to sit in on hour long close-to-useless Powerpoint presentations via Skype before you get to the meat of the matter.

pixaal posted:

Years and years ago I set up a Liberum install for our small shop. It worked pretty OK (for small places!). Disclaimer: I have no idea if it will work nowadays, but it's super easy to set up so take five minutes and try.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Potato Salad posted:

Confluence

Seconding PRTG

Cylance :black101:

I'd throw in LibreNMS as well for monitoring, its ok

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Crowley posted:

I think the minimum is 100, but yea.

If you do use Fast Track be prepared to get a TON of calls from Bulgarian peeps who want you to sit in on hour long close-to-useless Powerpoint presentations via Skype before you get to the meat of the matter.

In my experience, so far it has been a bunch of people from California walking me through best practices. As well, telling me why I am doing it all wrong.

They don't do the work for you, but the help was certainly worth it.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 18, 2017

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks guys. The only time I worked with FastTrack was when o365 support for some client was directed to them. They were CA or TX based and good.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So the talk of SMB ticketing software kind of inspired me that maybe it's time to move off Spiceworks. I've used it in the past and it's fine, but things around the network are running fine and maybe it's time for a "treat-yo-self" moment. Thing is, it looks like ZenDesk can't even import data from other ticketing systems unless you develop something around their Rest API. What in the world...

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

So the talk of SMB ticketing software kind of inspired me that maybe it's time to move off Spiceworks. I've used it in the past and it's fine, but things around the network are running fine and maybe it's time for a "treat-yo-self" moment. Thing is, it looks like ZenDesk can't even import data from other ticketing systems unless you develop something around their Rest API. What in the world...

Yeah when I did this for a client we decided to just leave the spiceworks vm off but not delete it in case tickets need to be referenced. Hella lame.

edit: https://www.import2.com/zendesk/pricing

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I'll probably do the same. Leave the VM on for a few months but redirect emails to ZenDesk / FreshDesk then eventually just offline it, then eventually just keep a backup of it.

Looks like the candidates are:
ZenDesk
FreshDesk / FreshService (I guess FreshDesk is more generic and FreshService is more IT/MSP oriented?)
Zoho Desk (ManageEngine seems to be Zoho Desk now?)

Any others, besides Spiceworks, worth looking at?

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 18, 2017

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Look at JIRA I guess if you do any in house development.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

JIRA is a good suggestion. I'm a big Confluence fan but the last time I look at JIRA Service Desk it was still overly complicated for non-techy or non-IT types and I'd like to eventually get other departments using ticketing.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 19, 2017

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Look at JIRA I guess if you do any in house development.

yes it is one of the few good small shop memories I have. Other small shops stuff includes (free or very cheap license of) Zendesk which I disliked because there was very little customization or exportability. You have to do things their way or pick another product.

Used nagios for monitoring, but it's way too fiddly compared to PRTG for simple stuff. Microtik routers are a good choice provided you have someone around who knows how to use them but that's hardly ticketing or monitoring related.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm rolling out FreshService this week! We're starting from scratch though, because there's very little useful information in older tickets and also some comments that clients probably shouldn't see. As others said, no reason not to let the Track-IT vm stay up for a few months just in case.

Good luck in your search, I don't remember why but we didn't trial Zendesk or Zoho so I can't really comment there.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
It's not a ticketing service, but regarding phishing training for employees, KnowBe4 is a pretty great service that'll basically send out any variety of phishing emails to your employees and tell you who clicked what, what information they gave up, and just generally put a proper fear and paranoia in the back of people's minds. I highly encourage checking it out, it's much more effective than any kind of training, worth every penny.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's not a ticketing service, but regarding phishing training for employees, KnowBe4 is a pretty great service that'll basically send out any variety of phishing emails to your employees and tell you who clicked what, what information they gave up, and just generally put a proper fear and paranoia in the back of people's minds. I highly encourage checking it out, it's much more effective than any kind of training, worth every penny.

lol the "get a quote" button always seems like a "get phone calls forever from vendors" button care to ballpark per user pricing?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

We resell KnowBe4.

sneakyfrog posted:

lol the "get a quote" button always seems like a "get phone calls forever from vendors" button care to ballpark per user pricing?

Bam!

Note this screen shot is from January 2016, and reflects MSRP prices. I believe cost went up by $1/seat/year.

A few thoughts on knowbe4: the phishing simulations are great. Regarding the video trainings, I've heard "love it" and I've heard "extremely boring". Administration is really easy - I got a 30 minute MSP training, and now it takes me about 15 minutes to spin up a client. Another alternative to compare: comptia's CyberSecure.org.

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 19, 2017

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

"treat-yo-self" moment.

Some other treat yo selves that I don't often see in small shops, but I wish I did:

- MFA solution. Duo.
- SSO. Otka?
- Password management. I feel like Dashlane is the new darling these days. Something to let all your marketing people share the twitter password. I use the non-subscription 1password personally.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

We resell KnowBe4.

Bam!

Note this screen shot is from January 2016, and reflects MSRP prices. I believe cost went up by $1/seat/year.

A few thoughts on knowbe4: the phishing simulations are great. Regarding the video trainings, I've heard "love it" and I've heard "extremely boring". Administration is really easy - I got a 30 minute MSP training, and now it takes me about 15 minutes to spin up a client. Another alternative to compare: comptia's CyberSecure.org.

You are a fantastic human being for cutting down on my receptionists workload friend. Thanks

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

- MFA solution. Duo.
- SSO. Otka?
- Password management. I feel like Dashlane is the new darling these days. Something to let all your marketing people share the twitter password. I use the non-subscription 1password personally.
We just priced Okta and HOLY BALLS is it expensive to scale. We're around 5k users and it would have been US$135k annually. That's why small shops don't have it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I tested Okta once and they didn't support changing the dashboard timezone so it wasn't showing all log events in UTC-08:00. Sort of gave up on it after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Aunt Beth posted:

We just priced Okta and HOLY BALLS is it expensive to scale. We're around 5k users and it would have been US$135k annually. That's why small shops don't have it.

Says on the web site it's $2/user/mo for SSO? Throw in MFA and it's $5/user/mo? So for a 40 person org it's $2400/yr not too bad.