Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aw gently caress, this new font. I'm gonna have to get an extension to fix this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't see a difference at all. What browser are you guys using? Maybe it's because I have had the browser zoomed to %110 for awhile because I have old people eyes...

But whatever change happened didn't affect me at all, so it must have been some zoom-relative thing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Everything's tall now

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's affected me yet...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah you're just blind I guess, the change is in that screenshot too.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
As a zoom level 90% browser I agree that its more noticeable when ur on 100%

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓼 𝓼𝓱𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭 𝓫𝒆 𝓽𝓱𝒆 𝒇𝓸𝓷𝓽 𝓽𝓫𝓱

Hat Thoughts posted:

As a zoom level 90% browser

why

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah you're just blind I guess, the change is in that screenshot too.

Right, but I've been rocking %110 zoom for awhile, that's what it looks like all the time.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just found out a friend of mine has never seen Southland Tales. This guy loving loves bad/weird movies.

I just bought a copy of Southland Tales off of Amazon. :getin:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I almost mentioned that one too but for how meditative it is it has a pretty intricate plot. I gotta see more Bela Tarr, I've just seen Satantango, which I loved, and Damnation, which I wasn't crazy about.

drat, dude, you haven't seen Werckmeister Harmonies? Get on that poo poo, it's right up there with Satantango. And The Turin Horse isn't far behind those two.

God, I wish his stuff was on blu. I should pick up The Turin Horse since it appears to be the only chance I'll have any time soon of watching his films in high definition. :smith:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
the turnt horse

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓼 𝓼𝓱𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭 𝓫𝒆 𝓽𝓱𝒆 𝒇𝓸𝓷𝓽 𝓽𝓫𝓱

why

agreed about the font
i looked through my tabs & google's at 75%, facebook at 90. I also have the font size on my phone to render smaller and my kindle to the smallest...i dunno why, guess i like seeing aLL the words

e: my only computer is a thinkpad so its a laptop screen if that justifies it altho i did it when i had a monitor too

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 18, 2017

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

I just found out a friend of mine has never seen Southland Tales. This guy loving loves bad/weird movies.

I just bought a copy of Southland Tales off of Amazon. :getin:

Hell yeah, spread the gospel

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Is it too close to blackface if I get a Blacula mask? I don't actually plan on every wearing it as part of a costume or anything. I strictly want it as a display piece. This is it here if anyone is curious: http://www.trickortreatstudios.com/products/blacula-mask.html

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't see how it could possibly be wrong for you to own it as a display piece.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is this a tone poem?

https://twitter.com/passionfuI/status/852725659268939776

CPL593H posted:

Is it too close to blackface if I get a Blacula mask? I don't actually plan on every wearing it as part of a costume or anything. I strictly want it as a display piece. This is it here if anyone is curious: http://www.trickortreatstudios.com/products/blacula-mask.html

Just don't put a spear or witch doctor mask next to it and you should be fine.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The font change is a slight mystery FYI
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817478&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

What are some movies that are basically tone poems? Think Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, or Upstream Color. The moodier and less dialogue the better.

Exorcist II: The Heretic (though there's quite a bit of dialogue.)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

K. Waste posted:

Yo, church, Jackie is pre' good.

It is.

That said, your use of "church" like this really grates on me. I command you to stop!

The New World is a tone poem. Most of Malick's films are.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://twitter.com/realdaveimboden/status/854181726557425664

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I gotta see more Bela Tarr, I've just seen Satantango, which I loved, and Damnation, which I wasn't crazy about.

Check out Werckmeister Harmonies next, because I'm curious to see what you make of it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

K. Waste posted:

Yo, church, Jackie is pre' good.
Have yet to get around to it, but I did catch Neruda over the weekend and that's a briskly edited quasi-biopic thriller that's not afraid to engage in a little tomfoolery as it pertains to its narrative structure.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HOT
GUN
HOTGUN
*beeuueeuueeuuee*
JOOOOONES

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I Before E posted:

It's okay, but if he hates Life Aquatic, Fantastic Mr. Fox will be far from his tastes.

Part of my problem with The Life Aquatic is that it's a kids' movie masquerading as a film for adults. Maybe Fantastic Mr. Fox will be better because it's just a straight-up kids' movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

drat, dude, you haven't seen Werckmeister Harmonies? Get on that poo poo, it's right up there with Satantango. And The Turin Horse isn't far behind those two.

God, I wish his stuff was on blu. I should pick up The Turin Horse since it appears to be the only chance I'll have any time soon of watching his films in high definition. :smith:

I wanna read the book first like I did with Satantango but I still haven't gotten around to it. The Eyes of my Mother made me wanna watch some Tarr though so I currently have the book in hold at the library. His stuff is written with no paragraph breaks though so it's kinda intense reading.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Be sure to check out The Man from London too. But yeah watch Werckmeister Harmonies and The Turin Horse first.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Part of my problem with The Life Aquatic is that it's a kids' movie masquerading as a film for adults.

What does that mean? Genuinely curious, I haven't seen The Life Aquatic.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Samuel Clemens posted:

What does that mean? Genuinely curious, I haven't seen The Life Aquatic.

If you've seen The Fifth Element, it's got similar tonal dissonance between comedy writing aimed at 10 year olds and violence/nudity. The Life Aquatic has all the sugary sweet kitsch of a kids movie, especially when it comes to the cinematography and art design, but the characters smoke a good amount of pot and Bill Murray shoots a bunch of pirates while the soundtrack plays Search and Destroy.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The difference is that The Fifth Element has a futuristic art style and Chris Tucker, while The Life Aquatic is nostalgia-ridden and Bill Murray acts like he's on sleep meds the whole time.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I know all the reasons why The Life Aquatic is not good, but I love that weird movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If it didn't work for you it didn't work for you, obviously, but Murray becoming immune to the wonder of the batshit world he lives in is basically the character arc

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I never got the sense that he lost a sense of wonder for his wild and crazy world, I just felt that Bill Murray would have rather been anywhere else than on the set of The Life Aquatic.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Life Aquatic should've been a Richard Ayoade movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I never got the sense that he lost a sense of wonder for his wild and crazy world, I just felt that Bill Murray would have rather been anywhere else than on the set of The Life Aquatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMJHB5RV-aE

I dunno. The movie starts with him in a creative and financial rut, he's energized by his wide-eyed and Owen Wilson-type son, he ends up abandoning his mission of revenge when he's awed by the beauty of his target

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Life Aquatic should've been a Richard Ayoade movie.

Is that what Submarine is? I really gotta watch Submarine and Garth Marenghi. I've only seen The Double, but I loving loved it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ace Ventura is a Tone poem

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lobok posted:

Ace Ventura is a Tone poem

Fern Gully is a Toneloc poem

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
1) Almokerkum Neber - Hirut Beqele

2) Double Trouble at the Ampitheatre - Double Trouble

3) Have You Ever Made Love to a Weerdo? (Dam-Funk) - Hollyweerd

4) Flashback - Laws

5) Dr. Dre Outro - Dr. Dre https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnOQdOsPmkU

6) Lively Hood - DOOMSTARKS

7) Digging for Windows - Zack de la Rocha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLishDbwy9c

8) American Wedding - Frank Ocean

9) Hippies is Punks - Wavves

10) The Wig He Made Her Wear - Drive-By Truckers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmndX7h2eGE

11) Perhaps Vampires is a Bit Strong But... - Arctic Monkeys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53y82WWjea0

12) Dark Side of Your World - The Pastels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF31bC64cDE

13) Moments in Love - The Art of Noise featuring Camilla Pilkington

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

quality post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Has this trend of Drunk Theater invaded any if your towns yet? Cause that poo poo pisses me off

• Locked thread