Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Ban everyone who has posted cupola imo including me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
You guys are a cupola jokers.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Broken Record Talk posted:

You guys are a cupola jokers.

Amazing post/username combo imho

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I want to post my titan but I'm at university now

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

What do people recommend for airbrush metallics? P3?
Jesus, no. P3 makes the shittiest metallics known to man.

From personal experience, Vallejo Air silvers are excellent.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Concur

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Here's a blurry camera photo of a sloppy mock-up! Chainblade tech-thralls. I really like the Sigmarine death masks, and went ahead and ordered more flagellants and some Tzangoor chainswords (they have a similar aesthetic as the mask.)

I don't think the flesh came out 'dead' enough, and I'd like them to be a little more 'tech'. I don't know, I'll probably end up jamming guitar wire into future ones or something. I want it to be an easy enough bash that I can repeat about 100x, so if anyone has ideas for improvement I'd like to hear!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Very cool kitbash.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Jesus, no. P3 makes the shittiest metallics known to man.

From personal experience, Vallejo Air silvers are excellent.

It is important to note that it is the Vallejo MODEL air metallics that are great. The Vallejo game airs metals have never worked very well for me and separate badly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Hello my name is Sal Gormann and I'm am having a party this weekend. FANCY LADS ONLY.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
He's looking super...hairy. Might be he needed a party with a toothbrush before the airbrush, but I don't rightly know what causes that myself.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I went out of my way to brush them off because they were sitting around. He's been brushed again because you can't see that poo poo in normal size. Ugh...

I'm going to take a pair of tweezers to them before I start to paint the details, I don't know where they're picking this poo poo up maybe my house is super dusty. At least they will enjoy that.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 19, 2017

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Could you just dust it with the airbrush at like 60 psi? I'd give that a shot before breaking out tweezers and a magnifying glass.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I've been trying to blow poo poo off them before because the last batch were dusty. I'm poo poo at cleaning up minis in general and this is yet another in a long line of oops there's a big line there or oops this mini has hair now.

Also I painted a test and I hate the gold faceplates so much. I'm leaving them purple with maybe a gold trim or I'll go all out neons for trim. The gold isn't grabbing me and it looks washed out on the bright armour.

E: confirm gently caress gold I'm going neon pink and blacks. Gonna be some gaudy fuckin dudes.

Ah gently caress maybe I'll keep it. The black trim.om pads fixes everything. Looks good for a test model I think.

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 19, 2017

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
JBP that's a handsome fuckin boi right there. Would definitely attend his fab party

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Guess what's missing from FW's top ten because it's such a high quality book:
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Top-10

Inferno

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So next time I'm at the store that sells vallejo here, which metallics should I look for? I won't be using an airbrush.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

chutche2 posted:

So next time I'm at the store that sells vallejo here, which metallics should I look for? I won't be using an airbrush.

Vallejo model air steel is brilliant and covers well.

What are you doing? It will depend what you want, but every model air metal I have tried has been great.

You can brush the model air paints on just fine. You don't dilute as much but they are otherwise just paint.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Felime posted:

Vallejo model air steel is brilliant and covers well.

What are you doing? It will depend what you want, but every model air metal I have tried has been great.

You can brush the model air paints on just fine. You don't dilute as much but they are otherwise just paint.

So for my normal troopers, I use P3 pig iron over the barrels, trim, and other various parts. It's a leadbelcher equivalent. For some of it I then go over it with P3 cold steel, and highlight with P3 quicksilver. With a few pieces of trim, I go over it with P3's bronze.

On my artificer armor dudes, I use golds for the trim instead of silvers and bronze, still keeping the pig iron on the weapons.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like p3 a lot but quicksilver seperates loving awfully.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JBP posted:

I like p3 a lot but quicksilver seperates loving awfully.

I'm glad it's not just me. My quicksilver's lid is caked in lumpy poo poo. I keep trying to mix it back in but I'm thinking of using platinum for the highlight instead.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's just a trash paint. I wanted the colour for my EC metallic pads/plates but it goes on like poo poo and I think I'm going to throw it in the bin.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm a really big fan of the Vallejo Liquid Gold paints. These are alcohol based paints with actual metal flakes inside of them. They go on super smooth, thin, and the shine is... well... it's an actual metal. I find working with them to be straight forward, but I know some dudes here don't like the idea of mixing their paint with 90% alcohol.

I undercoat with an acrylic metal (vallejo brassy brass, a poo poo paint honestly) and go over the top with the liquid gold.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Heresy in the afternoon, Bowie concert in the evening.

E: if you see any hairs I'm going to get mad because I think I got most of the poo poo off him.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 20, 2017

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

E: if you see any hairs I'm going to get mad because I think I got most of the poo poo off him.

That made it my mission to hunt for hairs, and I found some!

Your own fault for taking such ginormous in-focus photos :colbert:

e: Seeing as though I'm already being a massive cock, have a huge moldline!

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 20, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm aware of that line I might fix it or I might ignore it (I'm gonna fuckin ignore it).

Those hairs are tiny hooray he likes great!

E I think I reduced the size my phone takes photos at

I haven't painted a dude in ages I'm very excited clearly. So happy with the purple.

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 20, 2017

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I have a semicasual Horus Heresy event coming up in two days and here's my list:

quote:

Legiones Astartes - Death Guard (Loyalist)
Rite of War: The Reaping
1750p

HQ 1 (170p): Sr. Captain Hyperion - Praetor (100p), Iron Halo (25p), Power scythe (20p), Digital Lasers (15p), Rad Grenades (10p)

Troop 1 (210p): Squad Tethys - Tactical Squad x10 (125p), Sgt. Artificer Armor (10p), Sgt. Power Scythe (15p), Sgt. Rad Grenades (10p)
----Rhino Armored Carrier (35p), Multi-Melta (15p)

Troop 2 (210p): Squad Colchis - Tactical Squad x10 (125p), Sgt. Artificer Armor (10p), Sgt. Power Scythe (15p), Sgt. Rad Grenades (10p)
----Rhino Armored Carrier (35p), Multi-Melta (15p)

Elite 1 (280p): Six And One - Deathshroud Terminators x6 (250p), 6x Melta Bomb (30p)

Fast Attack 1 (205p): Lacryma One - Xiphon Interceptor (205p)

Heavy Support 1 (370o): Invictus Lex - Spartan Assault Tank (305p), 2x Quad Lascannon, Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer, Armored Ceramite (20p), Flare Shield Projector (45p)

Heavy Support 2 (185p): Filius Reperiaris - Sicaran Battle Tank (265p), Armored Ceramite (20p)

Heavy Support 3 (120p): Malleus Lucifer - Vindicator Siege Tank (120p)

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to win, but I'm gunna have fun. It's going to be interesting, they were promising densely built cityfight-style tables instead of the more common 'open' tables you see at most events.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm a really big fan of the Vallejo Liquid Gold paints. These are alcohol based paints with actual metal flakes inside of them. They go on super smooth, thin, and the shine is... well... it's an actual metal. I find working with them to be straight forward, but I know some dudes here don't like the idea of mixing their paint with 90% alcohol.

I undercoat with an acrylic metal (vallejo brassy brass, a poo poo paint honestly) and go over the top with the liquid gold.

While those are great you need to make sure no water at all gets in them and that they never touch a natural bristle brush. Having a separate set of brushes just for it is good practice.

Model air paints are nice as something you don't need to change processes for.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

A fine man. Have you built any with their ponytail hats? I have a few that I put it on, but I don't know how I feel about it. It is a little awkward to put on and not look weird, but the idea of a few guys having it isn't bad to break up a mass of Bolter Tacticools.

I just assembled a squad with out it and they feel like they could use a little something.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

JBP posted:

I'm aware of that line I might fix it or I might ignore it (I'm gonna fuckin ignore it).

Those hairs are tiny hooray he likes great!

E I think I reduced the size my phone takes photos at

I haven't painted a dude in ages I'm very excited clearly. So happy with the purple.

This guy is looking really great. More EC pls.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thallax figures are like 30% harder to assemble than they need to be. The one-handed pose requires four pieces to be glued simultaneously and that's bonkers.

I'm tentatively pricing out my Taghmata list and It looks like I'm going to be able to run a max Thallax maniple, five fearless twenty-thrall chainblade blobs, and a prime with lachrimallus (to potentially recycle the thralls) for ~1100 points.

:science:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

moths posted:

Thallax figures are like 30% harder to assemble than they need to be. The one-handed pose requires four pieces to be glued simultaneously and that's bonkers.

I'm tentatively pricing out my Taghmata list and It looks like I'm going to be able to run a max Thallax maniple, five fearless twenty-thrall chainblade blobs, and a prime with lachrimallus (to potentially recycle the thralls) for ~1100 points.

Hard for Heresy :jackbud:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

moths posted:

100 Thralls? Can I just live vicariously through you?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Absolutely! I'll be posting updates and dedicating most of next Oath season to this.

What's a good build for the HQ? I definitely want Lachrymallus, but then everything else ought to be melee since he's going in a thrall blob?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

moths posted:

Sounds like you're going after a flesh smith army! Awesome!

Thallax look cool as hell, but they can be tricky to use. They are tough, but have low volume of attacks. They have medium range weapons, but are bad in melee. If you plan to run 6 with twin heavy weapons it's one of the better builds. Consider a tractor or two as these give you some mobility and the shock rams are surprisingly strong.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BULBASAUR posted:

Guess what's missing from FW's top ten because it's such a high quality book:
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Top-10

Inferno

Yeah not sure why it isn't up there. Retribution is - but honestly Inferno cannot even be kept in stock. There are people at FW that actually don't even own copies yet. Far more likely is that the page just hasn't been updated yet I guess?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 20, 2017

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The Warlord Titan being #5 is loving impressive.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Depends on how they calculate "best sellers". If it's revenue, that's pretty impressive. If it's volume sold :stare:

I'm betting on revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Well then I'm glad I pre-ordered mine. I laughed along with people making fun of the quality on here; but I quit laughing once it showed up.

The quality is truly incredible. I'll take a couple silly typos. This thing is amazing, and easily worth the money.