Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looks like Zodiac Age added sub-jobs! http://www.rpgsite.net/news/5513-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age-screenshots

quote:

Most notably, it is now possible to have a character set with two job classes simultaneously, instead of just one in the International version. Once a character unlocks "L Board Plus" on the License Board, they can then select a second job to complement their abilities. Different combinations of jobs are certain to have some interesting results.

a) No reason ever to be a Time Mage, then, unless sub-jobs have lesser magick selections and you can't get Hastega by subbing Time Mage. I hope you can, though. (Actually this does really weird things to hybrid jobs in general, but whatever, it'll be fun so I don't care.)

b) I wonder how this'll work with Esper license unlocks. Will you have to pick which license board to put the Esper on instead of which character? Will it even matter because a lot of the unlocks could just be gained by subbing a job anyway? Like I could give my Monk Hashmal to so he can use Cura, but I could also just sub White Mage.

I would like to know more details about it. For example, will there be a reason to use Red Mage when you could just make someone a Black Mage/White Mage and have a better spell selection, along with elemental staves to boost the elemental -ga spells? Sure, Red Mages get Darkga, but that's not even the best way to do dark damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Personally I'm more interested in the character's reaction to the situation and setting they're in rather than the reverse. I'd think that Lightning and co. would have more emotional baggage since their brands are literally a ticking time bomb but "NOPE LET'S SOLDIER ON DESTINY BE DAMNED". I would think that there would be a bit more drama and despair because there is seemingly no way out alive from being branded as a l'Cie. Even being crystallized is still a form of death so there's no two ways around it.

Hope has to deal with his mom dying, but that's about the only really impactful character motivation in the game. Snow is being big idiot hero whose wife is a crystal. Lightning is female Cloud and can't handle feelings. Sazh gets a pass because he calls out all the bullshit. Fang and Vanille are eye candy.

I mean I really did like the game but it could have been way more successful with better writing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zedprime posted:

That's the reason though, destiny ends up as a theme in epic scaled game sort of by accident even if the writers would prefer it take a backseat. The Fabula Nova stories grabbed destiny by the horns to try and do something different with it and lost the bullfight worse than when it sort of just shows up because the heros journey is slightly too convenient.

E. For people who didn't finish the 13 trilogy or type 0 because that's basically everybody, the whole thing of an entire Fabula Nova story ark is breaking destiny in half to spite the incompetent gods about how much better humanity is even though they are one of the biggest mistakes of the incompetent gods. FF13 is an unfortunately paced first chapter in that birds eye view.

"Fighting Fate" is such a theme in XIII they named a theme after it.

And then our heroes were saved by another, higher deity. So it was less fighting fate and more just getting reassigned their fate by someone less malicious but more incompetent.

Caius beat fate though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If I want to kill God I'll just go play Xenogears again.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vargatron posted:

You chose wisely.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Looks like Zodiac Age added sub-jobs! http://www.rpgsite.net/news/5513-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age-screenshots

a) No reason ever to be a Time Mage, then, unless sub-jobs have lesser magick selections and you can't get Hastega by subbing Time Mage. I hope you can, though. (Actually this does really weird things to hybrid jobs in general, but whatever, it'll be fun so I don't care.)

b) I wonder how this'll work with Esper license unlocks. Will you have to pick which license board to put the Esper on instead of which character? Will it even matter because a lot of the unlocks could just be gained by subbing a job anyway? Like I could give my Monk Hashmal to so he can use Cura, but I could also just sub White Mage.

I would like to know more details about it. For example, will there be a reason to use Red Mage when you could just make someone a Black Mage/White Mage and have a better spell selection, along with elemental staves to boost the elemental -ga spells? Sure, Red Mages get Darkga, but that's not even the best way to do dark damage.

Whoa that's unexpected. I definitely wonder how they'll balance this since in the original izjs you couldn't have multiple of a job. That limitation doesn't make sense to extend to sub jobs since there are only 12 to pick from, but having say one black mage/white mage and another white mage/black mage seems uhh awkward I guess?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

Or any SMT game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fine, Ill mindlessly grind my way through FF12 again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Whoa that's unexpected. I definitely wonder how they'll balance this since in the original izjs you couldn't have multiple of a job. That limitation doesn't make sense to extend to sub jobs since there are only 12 to pick from, but having say one black mage/white mage and another white mage/black mage seems uhh awkward I guess?

You could have multiples of a job in the original IZJS, it just wasn't a very good idea. A few jobs are pretty Esper-dependent and because Espers are character-specific, that'd mean that if you have two characters with that job, one's going to be missing some great licenses. More importantly, it'd also mean that the characters who share that job can't get all their Quickenings, because Quickening licenses are per license board--so if two characters share a license board, they can only get two Quickenings each before they run out.

I'd guess they'd just need to have completely different "subjob" license boards, maybe? No Esper or Quickening licenses at all, a more limited selection of licenses, maybe higher costs to make up for the lack of Espers or Quickenings to lock things behind? Really not too sure.

I wonder what some fun combinations might be. Shikari/Time Mage could be cool--they'd almost be a Tidus-like character, fast with a weapon and shield and Haste spells.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Harrow posted:

Hahaha, this is going to be broke AF unless they again retune enemies for the most broken combinations

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mandatory lesbian posted:

"worst birthday ever" is the single greatest piece of comedy in any ff game ever

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

You could have multiples of a job in the original IZJS, it just wasn't a very good idea.

Huh I guess I just never tried. You're right quickenings would be totally borked in that case

Samurai/Black mage will be a cool combo

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Hahaha, this is going to be broke AF unless they again retune enemies for the most broken combinations

Final Fantasy games have a proud tradition of being broken as gently caress. :colbert:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Harrow posted:

this new subjob system is a lot of trouble they probably didn't need to go through. If they're going that far I'd be shocked if the jobs, or even the abilities themselves, made it to the remaster without any changes

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Never finished FF12 before, but I might pick it up for a job system where I can get everything. Thinking about trying this setup.

Vaan - Hunter, Monk
Penelo - Black Mage, Uhlan
Balthier - Machinist, Time Mage
Fran - Red Mage, Breaker
Ashe - Samurai, White Mage
Basch - Knight, Archer

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I like that they seem to have at least redone some of the textures, so it won't just be up-rezzes of lovely old blotchy textures, which is a big problem in some of the remasters.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Vargatron posted:

I would think that there would be a bit more drama and despair because there is seemingly no way out alive from being branded as a l'Cie. Even being crystallized is still a form of death so there's no two ways around it.

Chapters 3-9 are pretty much all personal drama for each character given their situation, with Fang/Vanille/Hope having their own little Eidolon outbursts later on. I'm not sure if more drama is exactly what 13 needs.

Vargatron posted:

Sazh gets a pass because he calls out all the bullshit. Fang and Vanille are eye candy.

Idk, Sahz desperately trying to save his l'Cie son is a pretty solid motivation to me? Dude almost shoots himself over it.

And Fang and Vanille have a lot going on in the story, so calling them pure eye candy is a bit much. Vanille and her issues pretty much caused everything to gently caress up and she visibly is dealing with that throughout the entire story.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Harrow posted:

Wow, yeah, it'll be interesting to see how (if) they balance this. Like, I think getting access to two complete boards would let you start maxing stats at like level 60. Damnit, I don't have time to play this....

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I like that they seem to have at least redone some of the textures, so it won't just be up-rezzes of lovely old blotchy textures, which is a big problem in some of the remasters.

Apparently the original textures were pretty good, and look very nice on high-resolution emulator settings. It's just that the original PS2 couldn't display them in their original resolution.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ventana posted:

Idk, Sahz desperately trying to save his l'Cie son is a pretty solid motivation to me? Dude almost shoots himself over it.

And Fang and Vanille have a lot going on in the story, so calling them pure eye candy is a bit much. Vanille and her issues pretty much caused everything to gently caress up and she visibly is dealing with that throughout the entire story.

Ahem. It was Fang who was like "we need to kill this god" right in front of said god. That was what caused it to make L'Cie and set into motion all the awfulness.

It's one of the many reasons I dislike Fang.

Vanille is very important, though. I know some people who considered her the real main character of XIII instead of Lightning. I'm inclined to agree, although I'm hardly unbiased in this matter.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

jaclynhyde posted:

The After Years.

The remake of the after years is actually much worse imho

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The FF13 trilogy is a motivational speech about how if you stab god in the face you can move to France to become a fashion model.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

Was it just the final dungeon or is there more they changed?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

DrakePegasus posted:

Never finished FF12 before, but I might pick it up for a job system where I can get everything. Thinking about trying this setup.

Vaan - Hunter, Monk
Penelo - Black Mage, Uhlan
Balthier - Machinist, Time Mage
Fran - Red Mage, Breaker
Ashe - Samurai, White Mage
Basch - Knight, Archer

Knight is a waste on Basch because he naturally gets 99 strength, but otherwise this is an okay list of the characters' best jobs.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

Ahem. It was Fang who was like "we need to kill this god" right in front of said god. That was what caused it to make L'Cie and set into motion all the awfulness.

Are you talking about the Cocoon fal'Cie that Fang and Vanille try to attack in the days prior to the beginning of the game? Fang suggests attacking it cause she lost her memory and figures their focus was to attack Cocoon. Kinda reasonable since they actually are pulse l'Cie raised to hate the enemy. If Vanille told Fang about their real focus that they needed to become Ragnarok together, then that incident could've been avoided. That's more or less what I meant earlier that everything is stemming from Vanille.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Not to get off talking about 13, but part of me wants to experience the math hell that is Final Fantasy 2. Or something.

First off, is 2 really that much math hell? And secondly, which versions let me get hella busted with something dumb? I remember watching someone play 2 do something and they were all "Yeah this is how you break the game" over some minigame.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

widespread posted:

Not to get off talking about 13, but part of me wants to experience the math hell that is Final Fantasy 2. Or something.

First off, is 2 really that much math hell? And secondly, which versions let me get hella busted with something dumb? I remember watching someone play 2 do something and they were all "Yeah this is how you break the game" over some minigame.

I just beat it recently. The trick to getting powerful is abusing Minwu as much as possible when you still have him. He comes with Teleport which can be grinded up to be a very effective instant-death spell. With him carrying you, you can walk all the way to Mysidia where they sell some really strong weapons and armor. And there you can also buy the Swap spell, which is a very handy (if expensive) way to boost your characters' MP. The minigame is something you can play on the Snowcraft vehicle. It's matching, and the less times you screw up, the more money and handy items you can get. If somehow you grind up the Toad spell to max level, the rewards get extremely good. But I never bothered with that and went along just fine enjoying the large quantities of money and Elixirs.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

EDIT: Whoops wrong thread

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 18, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alxprit posted:

If somehow you grind up the Toad spell to max level

The CR of the Grand Mantises south of the starting city is high enough to get any spell to 16 :eng101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vargatron posted:

This, but Xenoblade Chronicles.

corn in the bible posted:

So is the DS remake of FF4... and FF3.

Pretty sure all the DS remakes are flat out downgrades compared to previous versions actually.

Alxprit posted:

I just beat it recently. The trick to getting powerful is abusing Minwu as much as possible when you still have him. He comes with Teleport which can be grinded up to be a very effective instant-death spell. With him carrying you, you can walk all the way to Mysidia where they sell some really strong weapons and armor. And there you can also buy the Swap spell, which is a very handy (if expensive) way to boost your characters' MP. The minigame is something you can play on the Snowcraft vehicle. It's matching, and the less times you screw up, the more money and handy items you can get. If somehow you grind up the Toad spell to max level, the rewards get extremely good. But I never bothered with that and went along just fine enjoying the large quantities of money and Elixirs.

Toad (and everything else) is extremely easy to grind in the NES version because of the cancel trick in combat, but the iOS/PSP/whatever remake has overall faster/better stat gains and it's still not hard to break the game when you get Minwu. If someone's going to subject themselves to FF2 get the mobile or PSP version with the keyword dungeons because one of the combinations gives you access to farmable Osmose spell books which ends any MP worries (Swap is ok in the meanwhile but not ideal). in addition to being less grindy (but still grindy, this is the origin of the SaGa series after all).

It's also worth noting that SWAP is good for leveling HP too, not just MP.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'm sure this has been talked about a few times, but there are two hundred posts since I last checked and scanning through those I can't find any, so...

How did everyone like FFXV? I just beat it and thought it was pretty interesting. It wasn't bad. I guess I was disappointed, but I'm not sure why. I put 60 hours into it, but it honestly feels like I blasted through it in a few hours. Maybe the main quest is so short, and I spent so much time wandering around riding chocobos and poo poo.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
FFXV is terrible

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I've written a lot of words about it. The tldr-est version is that there were a lot of things I liked about it like that there were neat places to explore, some of the characters were interesting and well-presented (Noctis most of all), parts of the battle system were fun (magic was pretty neat and teleport striking was always fun), and the relaxed pacing in the first two thirds was well-done. Chocobo-riding was a joy.

But I didn't like how janky the combat could feel, I didn't end up bonding with the bros as much as I thought I would (maybe they needed more conflict presented individually from an earlier point to better establish them?), I didn't like how incomplete the game felt in terms of story-telling and poor character development (multiple major characters die off screen and others never get a proper introduction, the later chapters were eh), and the voice acting was pretty hit/miss. I still think the game could have benefitted from picking up more diverse members later in the game like the Dragoon and other people from different walks of life in the game world.

It's definitely a big muddy mix of a game with many good things, many things that needed polish, and many things that probably needed to go back to the drawing board.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 18, 2017

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

zedprime posted:

That's the reason though, destiny ends up as a theme in epic scaled game sort of by accident even if the writers would prefer it take a backseat. The Fabula Nova stories grabbed destiny by the horns to try and do something different with it and lost the bullfight worse than when it sort of just shows up because the heros journey is slightly too convenient.

E. For people who didn't finish the 13 trilogy or type 0 because that's basically everybody, the whole thing of an entire Fabula Nova story ark is breaking destiny in half to spite the incompetent gods about how much better humanity is even though they are one of the biggest mistakes of the incompetent gods. FF13 is an unfortunately paced first chapter in that birds eye view.

Another reason why 7 is the best. The "destined" hero is dead before the game starts and the heroine by disk 1, so a bunch of schmucks have to get together and muddle through the best they can.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
FFXV is a pretty flawed game with a lot of heart, a good cast of main characters and a really satisfying ending. That endears it to me even if it stumbles.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like FF15 even if I can point out serious flaws in almost every single part of the game. It feels like more than a sum of its parts.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

bloodychill posted:

I've written a lot of words about it. The tldr-est version is that there were a lot of things I liked about it like that there were neat places to explore, some of the characters were interesting and well-presented (Noctis most of all), parts of the battle system were fun (magic was pretty neat and teleport striking was always fun), and the relaxed pacing in the first two thirds was well-done. Chocobo-riding was a joy.

But I didn't like how janky the combat could feel, I didn't end up bonding with the bros as much as I thought I would (maybe they needed more conflict presented individually from an earlier point to better establish them?), I didn't like how incomplete the game felt in terms of story-telling and poor character development (multiple major characters die off screen and others never get a proper introduction, the later chapters were eh), and the voice acting was pretty hit/miss. I still think the game could have benefitted from picking up more diverse members later in the game like the Dragoon and other people from different walks of life in the game world.

It's definitely a big muddy mix of a game with many good things, many things that needed polish, and many things that probably needed to go back to the drawing board.

I found the bro road trip to be extremely immersive. It sure waned later though, when you heard them say one of the four things they ever. They have a lot of things to say, but when it comes to specific responses regarding an activity, it's like they draw from the same three options. Fishing, driving, chocobo riding, camping, eating, Cindy, fighting...I'd rather they not say anything than repeat the same loving thing again. But I thought it was still very well done; the localization and the voice work for the four main characters must have been handled by a different studio. Everyone else looks like they're suffering from rigor mortis and their voice talent is generally abysmal.

Aside from the four dudes, the important characters in the game are basically important only because the game tells you. Who the gently caress is Cindy and Cid? They're just two mechanics? Where do they live? Don't tell me this gas station and motor home is a "town." How do they know Noct and the others? What is their history? Why does Cindy talk like an exaggeration of a caricature of a dirty south pinup model?

I thought the combat was fun, and warping was fun. The magic confused me, so I never used it. I like that it gave me the option of never having to figure it out. It probably wasn't hard to figure out, but my first experience was like, okay I can get 99 of three different types of magic and then combine it with something and then the potency is a certain number...all these numbers mean nothing to me. I could test it out in the field, but my one and only spell killed everything in sight, and it wasn't really that expensive. I don't know...it seems neat but I wasn't invested in it and I guess I didn't have to be. But the combat is a bit of a flurry of noises and flashing lights. It's hard to tell what's going on, but that's fine since the game basically plays itself while you throw in a few twists. I think it functions similarly to XIII's combat, but it definitely feels better. The techniques were cool, though Gladios's dawnhammer and Ignis's regroup skills proved to be pretty valuable so I didn't really check out the others.

Andrast posted:

I like FF15 even if I can point out serious flaws in almost every single part of the game. It feels like more than a sum of its parts.

I guess this is how I feel. I think XV was a good game. Maybe my expectations were just too high, although I don't even know what I was expecting?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Andrast posted:

This sounds delusional

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

fridge corn posted:

This sounds delusional

It is possible to like things and still acknowledge it's flaws. In fact it's an extremely good idea to be critical of things you enjoy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

this new subjob system is a lot of trouble they probably didn't need to go through. If they're going that far I'd be shocked if the jobs, or even the abilities themselves, made it to the remaster without any changes

Honestly, I think I'd rather just have redone jobs than subjobs, but both would be pretty sweet, too. Jobs like Time Mage (I guess it's "Time Battlemage" now?) and Machinist could be pretty great on their own with just a couple of tweaks.

As it stands, I can't imagine they're going to give you two full license boards. Maybe sub-job license boards will only have weapon, technick, magick, and a few stat licenses, but no armor licenses and definitely not the full compliment of stat licenses (or you'd be maxing out much more quickly). Having to work with the armor type if your main job would be a good idea, I think, because it would add an automatic downside to some combinations (like Knight isn't going to have a good Magick stat without mystic armor so you're not going to be able to make a Knight/White Mage that invalidates the whole White Mage job), but also open up some pretty interesting potential synergies (Samurai/Black Mage).

I dunno, it's coming out relatively soon so I really hope we see more details soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

FF15: We Had to Get This poo poo Out of The Door (we also ran out of money).