Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Big hurt baseball is my guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remaster is out now on PS4/XB1/Switch - aside from the HD reskin (which can be disabled or mix-and-matched with the old sprites and music) it's pretty much identical to the original in terms of mechanics and design, they didn't gently caress with it like Ducktales Remastered or whatever. If you've never played it then this is the version to play, and if you played and liked the original then there's not much to hate about the remaster (and if you played and didn't like the original then don't bother, they didn't "fix" anything).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYXzXBbFKOY

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My money is on Caesars Palace

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Acclaim owned Flying Edge and the Tweet mentions "big prizes" so obviously it's Super Smash T.V.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

The day may come when I can load RetroPie off of a shared directory on my Ubuntu NAS, along with all the assets for Attract Mode, and be able to save and do all of the things without needing to have a huge SD card or a USB drive attached.

But it is not this day.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
You most certainly could do that with a network boot, but it would take 100x the effort to figure out and doesn't make sense at a scale of 1 device.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

falz posted:

You most certainly could do that with a network boot, but it would take 100x the effort to figure out and doesn't make sense at a scale of 1 device.

You sound just like my PM

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

falz posted:

That's pretty much retro gaming, but is there a $150 cable that can improve the setup?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Yeah but if you really want a pure experience you're gonna have to step your game up.

You don't want dirty electricity for other people getting in the way of your sweet pixels.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

falz posted:

I looked into a full-on network boot for all of twenty minutes before noping the gently caress out of there.

So, I was able to get things to "work" by adding the network locations into autostart.sh (and I've used fstab in the past), but what ends up happening is:

• Controls for Attract Mode can be configured, but won't save once changed in the in-program menu. If I edit the file with nano and save it, it will work, though?
• Saves (SRAM or Save State) are just flat-out not working at all.

I've CHOWNed the lot of it to nobody:nogroup and things have the rights and permissions they need. Also: Retroarch controller config is actually working and behaving!

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

The way I viewed the whole NES Classic getting discontinued was:

I have $60 in my pocket, over five Raspberry Pi in my home, not to mention an Everdrive N8 and so many other options. I thought the idea was cute. Hell, even $60 cute, sure. If I saw it on a shelf, I'd buy it. If it's not on a store shelf (online or otherwise) at the MSRP, I'm not gonna buy it.

Sometimes companies will have internal reasons for doing things. For example this one beer company I like used to make two types of beer, one of which was better than the other, and discontinued the better variety. One day I met some people who worked at the factory and asked them about it. They basically explained that it was kind of a pain in the rear end for them to be making two beers, and they had trouble keeping the premium one in stock because people kept buying and hoarding it, so they decided to discontinue the product and only make one kind of beer.

Now, that company probably doesn't make any more or less money now than they did previously; probably they sold the same amount of beer after the change as before. The only difference is it's just easier for them to make one kind of beer? It seems totally counterintuitive but when it comes to actual production lines this is often how decisions get made.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see a lot of awareness around for this so I just want to remind everyone that there was a Mappy cartoon and it was hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yko5t3EHeac

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYeErcy62qk

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Light Gun Man posted:

I don't see a lot of awareness around for this so I just want to remind everyone that there was a Mappy cartoon and it was hilarious

Thanks, I totally forgot this existed. Kris Straub is always great.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

I must be too old. I can't tell if this is a joke or for real.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Light Gun Man posted:

I know not everyone likes this kind of humor but I love this. Thank you.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Light Gun Man posted:

There's also this. It's a one-man project so it takes like two years to make a single episode, but it's really good. The author really nails that grimy late night cartoon feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uieM18rZdHY

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That Mappy cartoon was made through a weird initiative called ShiftyLook that also did a bunch of webcomics based on Namco properties and even a couple games - a browser-based dating sim called Namco High and a Wonder Momo game by Wayforward that was released exclusively for Nvidia Shield and pulled after a few months.

The main guy behind ShiftyLook is the same guy behind the recently-announced Klonoa animated movie, but they're playing that a lot straighter than most of the ShiftyLook stuff.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Th a Wonder Momo game by Wayforward that was released exclusively for Nvidia Shield and pulled after a few months.

Whoa

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I remember reading the Galaga webcomic that was done by Christopher Hastings (Dr. McNinja), and it wasn't half-bad.

Though you could tell he had plans for the second arc that had to be quickly dropped when the entire ShiftyLook initiative started to shut down. Wrapped up very abruptly.

The SkyKid comic wasn't half bad either. Didn't really bother with the others.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I liked the Wonder Momo one, for some reason. The Katamari comic was weird in very non Katamari way.

Wasn't Andrew Hussey involved with the dating sim?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There is also a short Wonder Momo anime. I still think the Mappy cartoon is the best project it generated though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I liked the Wonder Momo one, for some reason. The Katamari comic was weird in very non Katamari way.

Wasn't Andrew Hussey involved with the dating sim?

Yep and it seems someone archived it: http://namcohigh.klonoa.org/

I haven't played it and there's not even a lot of footage out there but I'm pretty sure it was dumped and can be played on Android devices.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
I have the Shiftylook Mappy cartoon theme as my ringtone. Because about five months ago I came across the cartoon while looking up Mappy strategy videos because I had become obsessed with the Mappy game because there's a freeplay arcade machine at my place of work and I'm one of like three people who habitually play with the thing. Been trying to beat my own high score of 124000+ I got back in December. Wish I could secure a faithful emulation of the arcade game; the version of Mappy in the Namco Museum disc on PSOne is way too fast and none of my strategies work on it. Ideally I'd get an authentic Mappy cabinet, but no way in hell that'll ever happen.

Kris Straub and Scott Kurtz did the Mappy cartoon, and it's very much in the same vein of humor and pacing as their Blamimation cartoons. Here are my favorites - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUXjKuCeNRs and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIutwfjv5hs

Features Tron Fron and Tetris Cop!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ahahahaha

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/19/nintendo-will-reportedly-release-snes-classic-edition-this-year

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Ideally I'd get an authentic Mappy cabinet, but no way in hell that'll ever happen.

The Mappy cabinet is one of the cooler ones out there, too.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Damnit. Now I'm going to have to hunt down this one too.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I'm usually not one to believe the much of the nintendo conjecture about scarcity and stock decisions, but I made a realization with the NES Mini. If they come out with a SNES mini, they could raise the price $10+ dollars and probably double the profit, and partly because of the panic caused from shutting down the NES mini while it still had demand. Demand on these things won't be perpetual, so it would be best to maximize profits while the demand is at the hottest. They could probably have twice the stock of SNES and the demand will be so high, it will probably still seem just as scarce.Then they could rinse and repeat with the N64.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

All i know is that I would actually buy an SNES mini because the SNES is the first console I remember

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

funny Star Wars parody posted:

All i know is that I would actually buy an SNES mini because the SNES is the first console I remember

It's also surprisingly difficult to get right in emulation, so if Nintendo actually does that, it may genuinely be worth it (or you could just get an everdrive or whatever).

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I had a Nintendo and genesis, but for whatever reason a she's mini has more of an appeal to me. As long as it has metroid, zelda, and marios ...and....Actraiser.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I was looking to get a Classic for a buddy of mine, but looks like Nintendo doesn't want money.

Instead I think I'll grab an Everdrive and a spare NEW and give him that for his birthday. Won't have the cute front end but meh.

Them killing the thing pretty much did in any enthusiasm I will have for any SNES/N64 models.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shlomo Palestein posted:

It's also surprisingly difficult to get right in emulation, so if Nintendo actually does that, it may genuinely be worth it (or you could just get an everdrive or whatever).

But the SNES is solved in emulation...? Like outside of trying to get gate perfect recreations of the Super FX chip, it's not that hard?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phone posted:

But the SNES is solved in emulation...? Like outside of trying to get gate perfect recreations of the Super FX chip, it's not that hard?

Yeah, you just can't do it in a Pi or other such emulation box.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
I really don't get what the hell Nintendo is doing these days. The NES Classic was such easy money, why shoot the golden goose so quickly? Do they feel that the Switch is good enough that they don't feel they need to "exploit" their consumer base or something?

Someone please explain. I'm clearly missing something.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cliche Guevara posted:

I really don't get what the hell Nintendo is doing these days. The NES Classic was such easy money, why shoot the golden goose so quickly? Do they feel that the Switch is good enough that they don't feel they need to "exploit" their consumer base or something?

Nintendo CEO's like public humiliation stuff, it's kind of their schtick

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, you just can't do it in a Pi or other such emulation box.

Even a Pi 1 is powerful enough for a "good enough" experience with every game except Yoshi's Island, which only has very slight framerate issues which could probably be worked around differently (like a Pi2-equivalent power machine maybe).

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Cliche Guevara posted:

Somebody in the thread made a pretty good guess: the device stopped production exactly six months after its introduction, so it seems like one of the third parties on board (maybe Capcom, maybe Konami, maybe Namco, maybe all of them, who knows) had negotiated strict terms and didn't want Nintendo indefinitely selling their games for what must have obviously been a pretty low price, considering how cheap the Classic retails for. Six months is a timeline that sounds straight out of a contract. Once it obviously became a huge hit, one or more of the third parties probably tried to renegotiate for a bigger cut of the profits, which left Nintendo in the uncomfortable position of doing one of three unappealing things:

1. Paying a larger cut on licensing and either breaking even or losing money on each unit sold. This would be dumb.
2. Raising the price on the Classic. Though this might make sense on the surface (these resell for $150+ on eBay), pricing psychology is more complicated than that. If the Nintendo Classic raises its price, consumers might feel like they're getting ripped off. Then there's a chance that Nintendo and retailers are stuck with these things rotting on their shelves. This is super risky and may hurt their image.

3. Nintendo making a second NES classic with different, cheaper games. If they replace Mega Man 2 with Clu Clu Land, people will feel cheated, get confused and upset with their purchases, and may not buy the new Classic. OR if the new games are too good, people will be mad that they bought the original and Nintendo loses good will. Nobody wants this to happen.

It's all speculation, but all it takes is one third party to bring the whole thing down.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm just going to blame Konami because it helps me sleep at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

univbee posted:

Even a Pi 1 is powerful enough for a "good enough" experience with every game except Yoshi's Island, which only has very slight framerate issues which could probably be worked around differently (like a Pi2-equivalent power machine maybe).

Nintendo's in-house SNES emulators have been pretty mediocre in the past. Having said that the emulator they include doesn't have to be a good SNES emulator, it only has to be a good emulator specifically for the 30 or so games they package along with it.

• Locked thread