Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
it's because the old css for the forums is written incorrectly and for some reason browsers are starting to not put up with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxtoYna81F4

Positive 3.0 hype ahoy, he makes it sound like a game.

*Edit - someone that can be bothered count how many times "hope" or other caveats are thrown into everything, most open development ever.

*Double Edit - This dude is def getting paid in some manner despite claiming the opposite, straight into ships.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 18, 2017

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Did anything worthwhile happen since page 906 / Apr 8?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

My posts are a good resume for star citizen lack of development, and for life in general.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I should write a blog with links of my posts.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR posted:

RSI forums were closed and they moved a lot of 3.0s features into 3.1,3.2 for 2018 but people are just thrilled they have a schedule they can miss.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

If only Eric had known the actual answer was to just stop iterating on the game design because the UI didn't allow it :shrug:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make to be honest. I have no idea why that MOMA shitpost got me riled up but its infuriating to have someone tell me my job without any understanding as to what my job is.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 18, 2017

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zzr posted:

I should write a blog with links of my posts.

let me guess it'll be ready in 2 weeks. :yarg:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

kingcom posted:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make to be honest. I have no idea why that MOMA shitpost got me riled up but its infuriating to have someone tell me my job without any understanding as to what my job is.
I was being sarcastic and adding to your post by quoting an actual good game developer talking about how locking in the UI elements before game design was finalised caused a huge amount of extra work for absolutely no gain when being interviewed about things he regretted during the delivery crunch of Diablo II.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

At this point Samizdata is shittier than MoMA honestly

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I was being sarcastic and adding to your post by quoting an actual good game developer talking about how locking in the UI elements before game design was finalised caused a huge amount of extra work for absolutely no gain when being interviewed about things he regretted during the delivery crunch of Diablo II.

Ah I gotcha, I cant tell in this thread, up is down :negative:

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

peter gabriel posted:
Answer the call: 2014 2015 2016 WHEN IT'S READY STOP ASKING

Star Citizen: Let them loving finish

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

mrchinchin25 posted:

:boom:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Kosumo posted:

Does anyone have a copy of the original Chris Robert Pledge where he said he would show where the money went if the game was late by more than 18 months?

Derek Smart, Derek Smart, Derek Smart ..... help a brother out Warlord.

All versions of the ToS // MoMa did a great job with his Titanium-clad June 2016 version*!

Da Pledge

* you know, the one which the DCBA took one look at, and said "nuh-uh, gently caress you! Refunds!"

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 18, 2017

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mrchinchin25 posted:

:moonrio:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

kingcom posted:

Ah I gotcha, I cant tell in this thread, up is down :negative:

It's hard to tell sometimes.

We don't even know if some of the notable posters in Reddit's Star Citizen forum are undercover Goons or not, such as Zecumbe.

Just the fact that Poe's Law starts becoming relevant to a game's production should indicate severe problems.

Someone in here did explicitly claim to be Zecumbe over a year ago, in a one-off post, and I'm not sure whether it was a goof or not.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Over on FDev, I got into an argument with two Spergs who were convinced that the CA State Attorney who froze Lily drone maker assets, sets no precedent, and is no comparison to Star Citizen.

So I wrote this comparison for them. I hope it helps MoMa.

Gnorok;5398471 posted:

So I have to ask again, how is this a precedent regarding star citizen?

No, this is a COMPLETELY different question that what you asked before.

This:

How is a faked drone video a precedent regarding SC?

is not the same as this:

how is this a precedent regarding star citizen?

They are mutually exclusive questions.

My answer to the first remains as was originally written:

quote:

Are you serious? So you thought the State Attorney froze all their assets over a "fake video"? Did you actually READ what happened?

My answer to the second is quoted directly from the article:

quote:

Part of the suit has to do with the initial pitch video, watched by millions of people, showing off what appeared to be a Lily drone following users and shooting video. The drone responsible for all that fancy aerial work and video was not in fact a Lily, but a DJI Inspire, something the creators failed to mention.

quote:

There’s also a slightly technical issue that forms a second front in the DA’s lawsuit: the fact that they went with an independent “pre-order” strategy rather than an established crowdfunded development site like Kickstarter. That makes Lily’s money qualify more on the side of internet sales than investment in an idea (something Kickstarter and its projects are always careful to explain), which exposed the company to certain consumer protection laws.

One, the FTC’s Mail Order Rule, required that, if a pre-ordered product is seriously delayed, the company must issue refunds unless customers indicate they don’t mind the wait. Lily certainly must qualify as having encountered long delays — from February 2016 to “later in 2017” — but refunds were not issued at large.

It’s this second offense that caused the DA’s office to file a temporary restraining order freezing Lily’s assets — to prevent it from, in the words of the TRO, “further dissipating these ill-gotten preorder funds.”

1) The Lily drone video was faked, didn't represent the product pitched; and the execs were busted in fraudulent misrepresentation.

See Star Citizen "demos"

2) The Lily drone project was very delayed.

See Star Citizen's Nov 2014 promised date, and every single missed date since then. As of today, the project is officially 29 months overdue

3) The Lily drone project wasn't issuing refunds. CIG/RSI wasn't issuing refunds - as required by law.

See Star Citizen refunds debacle.

To wit: Back when I challenged the refunds as per the rubbish ToS versions, very few took me seriously. At that time, refunds weren't happening. Then someone decided to test it and went straight to State authorities. The fallout was amazing. I wrote a whole blog surrounding it.

Then just like that, refunds were a thing.

4) The Lily drone project moved their crowd-funding off Kickstarter.

CIG/RSI moved their funding off Kickstarter, where accountability would have prevailed, to their own private crowd-funding site

5) The Lily drone project regarded the backer money as "pledges" and not sales.

CIG/RSI have long insisted that backer money were pledges, and not sales (as in pre-sales).

Your turn.

BONUS

http://myerlawatlanta.com/2011/02/what-is-a-temporary-restraining-order/

quote:

A temporary restraining order (“TRO”) is an emergency order that can be issued by either a state or a federal trial level court. It is considered an extraordinary remedy, which means that it is difficult to obtain a TRO even where the facts and the law demonstrate that the party seeking the TRO will be harmed in the absence of a TRO.

http://kellywarnerlaw.com/injunctions-temporary-restraining-orders/

quote:

In order to successfully win a temporary restraining order, your lawyer must convince a judge that:

1) You will likely win your injunction;
2) The actions from which you are seeking relief are irreparably harming you in some way;
3) If the TRO is not granted, you or others will suffer because of it;
4) The TRO doesn’t harm the public’s interest.[/url]

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 18, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

That most of CIG's income has come from their own site (with a shopping cart, purchases, sales, taxes, etc) is a major point. They've only raised $2,134,374 on Kickstarter, of the $146,775,896 they claim on their site. I originally brought this up way back in regards to their crowdfunding Guiness record, then shortly later realized it could easily become a legally important distinction as well.

XK fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 18, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Derek, I hate to be a downer, but I don't really care about the arguments you get into with people on another forum.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

That most of CIG's income has come from their own site (with a shopping cart, purchases, sales, taxes, etc) is a major point. They've only raised $2,134,374 on Kickstarter, of the $146,775,896 they claim on their site. I originally brought this up way back in regards to their crowdfunding Guiness record, then shortly later realized it could easily become a legally important distinction as well.

Yeah. They also raised about $500K on their old site before moving to Kickstarter, while Turbulent was building the new site.

Meridian posted:

Derek, I hate to be a downer, but I don't really care about the arguments you get into with people on another forum.

That's your problem. I shared it here because it was an informative effort post. Avert your eyes and your brain if you don't want to read it. Not hard. Try it.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

D_Smart posted:

Yeah. They also raised about $500K on their old site before moving to Kickstarter, while Turbulent was building the new site.

I ultimately think crowdfund style site contributions should be treated mostly equivalently to bespoke site pre-orders, maybe with a difference upon complete project failure, but at least it's a bit clearer to the consumer what's going on at an actual crowdfund site.

XK fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 18, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

D_Smart posted:

That's your problem. I shared it here because it was an informative effort post. Avert your eyes and your brain if you don't want to read it. Not hard. Try it.

I didn't read it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

derek every post you make is an effort post, information levels aside

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

mrchinchin25 posted:

:viggo:

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

D_Smart posted:

:words:

See Star Citizen's Nov 2014 promised date, and every single missed date since then. As of today, the project is officially 29 months overdue

:words:

Just to put an even finer point on this, the schedule they just put out is supposed to get them to around 3.2 sometime early next year. Pre-alpha 3.2.

Let's be (extremely)generous and say that they don't suffer too many delays and they can get 3.2 out by this time next year. That's the final product 41 months overdue to get to pre-alpha 3.2. Creeping up on 3 years overdue and not even in alpha.

Buy more ships, though, the good stuff is right around the corner everyone!

Edit: I am bad at math.

Natron fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 18, 2017

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Natron posted:

Don't scrimp. Only Completionists are true backers. Become a Citizen, pledge today!

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

XK posted:

It's hard to tell sometimes.

We don't even know if some of the notable posters in Reddit's Star Citizen forum are undercover Goons or not, such as Zecumbe.

Just the fact that Poe's Law starts becoming relevant to a game's production should indicate severe problems.

Someone in here did explicitly claim to be Zecumbe over a year ago, in a one-off post, and I'm not sure whether it was a goof or not.

Every time I think it might be fun to make an alt and go Full Citizen I just see something so brokebrained I can't compete so I don't bother.

Tebulot
Apr 25, 2007

im hip now bois

Pillbug

Natron posted:

Just to put an even finer point on this, the schedule they just put out is supposed to get them to around 3.2 sometime early next year. Pre-alpha 3.2.

Let's be (extremely)generous and say that they don't suffer too many delays and they can get 3.2 out by this time next year. That's the final product 41 months overdue to get to pre-alpha 3.2. Creeping up on 3 years overdue and not even in alpha.

Edit: I am bad at math.

I wonder if the fanbase will ever actually break. Or is it so many compacted layers of doubling down that they're basically diamonds of ignorance now?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Tebulot posted:

I wonder if the fanbase will ever actually break. Or is it so many compacted layers of doubling down that they're basically diamonds of ignorance now?

Honestly, most people are probably only vaguely aware of it as "that cool space game that's going to do cool things" and don't pay attention to it much beyond that. The people who prowl other forums, reddit and twitter to meltdown about anything vaguely critical of Star Citizen have definitely doubled down into corncobs at this point.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

Over on FDev, I got into an argument with two Spergs who were convinced that the CA State Attorney who froze Lily drone maker assets, sets no precedent, and is no comparison to Star Citizen.

So I wrote this comparison for them. I hope it helps MoMa.

No, this is a COMPLETELY different question that what you asked before.

This:

How is a faked drone video a precedent regarding SC?

is not the same as this:

how is this a precedent regarding star citizen?

They are mutually exclusive questions.

My answer to the first remains as was originally written:

My answer to the second is quoted directly from the article:

1) The Lily drone video was faked, didn't represent the product pitched; and the execs were busted in fraudulent misrepresentation.

See Star Citizen "demos"

3) The Lily drone project wasn't issuing refunds. CIG/RSI wasn't issuing refunds - as required by law.

See Star Citizen refunds debacle.

To wit: Back when I challenged the refunds as per the rubbish ToS versions, very few took me seriously. At that time, refunds weren't happening. Then someone decided to test it and went straight to State authorities. The fallout was amazing. I wrote a whole blog surrounding it.

Then just like that, refunds were a thing.

4) The Lily drone project moved their crowd-funding off Kickstarter.

CIG/RSI moved their funding off Kickstarter, where accountability would have prevailed, to their own private crowd-funding site

5) The Lily drone project regarded the backer money as "pledges" and not sales.

CIG/RSI have long insisted that backer money were pledges, and not sales (as in pre-sales).

Your turn.

BONUS

http://myerlawatlanta.com/2011/02/what-is-a-temporary-restraining-order/

http://kellywarnerlaw.com/injunctions-temporary-restraining-orders/

Derek, every once in a while you post something that's relevant and, on occasion, readable, but I think a lot of people will just mash their pgdn to avoid what could be another July blog rehash. A lot of the time you get caught up in arguing minutiae of CIG's or their fans' doings that don't matter outside of your arguments with some random cultist, and that stuff gets pgdn'd pretty fast. You've got a lot of experience making bad space games, so I like reading things you write about how they're made and how CIG fails to make them, the technical spergy stuff that's not immediately apparent to a non-dev. I'm in awe of your ability to make internet people hate you, but that stuff is definitely detrimental to any tangential or unrelated discourse in the same fora.

Anyway your post above, which I did read and didn't regret reading, would benefit from using a less confrontational approach since its readability is affected by the impression that it's a missive or a declaration, rather than being, you know, part of a discussion. I get that a lot of Citizens argue from bad faith and while that might seem like a reason to reply with the same, conversely, your being reasonable would absolutely confound them, never mind the benefits to the actual discussion.

See, there are intricacies even in internet discussions which can be beneficial both to the discussion and to your hahahaa oh lol I didn't just write all of this in reply to internet warlord did I.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Sarsapariller posted:

From this, it appears that we've already passed the deadlines for "Shouldered Weapons," "GPU," and "Moons." We'll be passing "Volumetric Fog," "Item 2.0: Quantum," "Solar System Shop Serv," and "Item 2.0: Fuel" by week's end. Now to be fair to them, most of this stuff is intended for release in the June patch. Also to be fair to them, most of this stuff is entirely fictional. Either way, I don't expect we'd see any signs of it (or excuses for why it's not done) until June at the earliest.

Thanks

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Tebulot posted:

They literally just forget.

I have a gaggle of idiots saying "SOURCE?!?!??!" when I mention most of this poo poo was supposed to be in 2.4-2.7 mid last year. (and in 2015 that SC was supposed to fully release in 2016 but crobbling lol). I wasn't making anything up I just happen to have a functioning memory and follow the project.

Part of it is they get lied to, I mean plans change, so often that they don't retain anything but the latest claim.

Theres also a few dudes on reddit who deliberately forget and do the "source??!?!?" thing to obfuscate the issue for any randos reading. I know they haven't forgotten but they pretend to. Then they get to be smug assholes going "well if you don't have any evidence for your claims you are therefore lying :smug:" because I didn't dig through 2 years old youtube vids/forum posts for them to dismiss for my offhand comment alluding to a commonly known event that occurred. Like one of the dudes went "source your claims or you are lying" when I said CR said there would be up to 1k people in an instance. Everyone knows he said that. Its in an easily googled article and there were fuckloads of reddit theorycrafting threads on it.

I used to find sources but I quickly learned that whatever I posted would not be believed. Those people I think have to be either paid or be the 'project must succeed no matter the means' types.

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 18, 2017

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

One of the first things I gather from my limited experience in software development, especially for CIG's game, is that in Agile development, you design the UI first so that you know what to program for.

Knowing the expected UI is valuable, because it explicitly surfaces all the data the end user will interact with. Developers often prefer "pure" solutions, but if the most complete solution has no visible or practical benefit over a half baked hack, and the hack doesn't prevent a future better solution, then a UI design is a great way to concentrate developers on what provides value.

That's not what CIG Is using it for though. CIG has an unparalleled pipeline efficiently creating UI dreams in order to sell ships and make money from fools and broken people. Wireframes are sufficient 99% of the time.

Trammel fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 18, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I have a gaggle of idiots saying "SOURCE?!?!??!" when I mention most of this poo poo was supposed to be in 2.4-2.7 mid last year. (and in 2015 that SC was supposed to fully release in 2016 but crobbling lol). I wasn't making anything up I just happen to have a functioning memory and follow the project.

Part of it is they get lied to, I mean plans change, so often that they don't retain anything but the latest claim.

Theres also a few dudes on reddit who deliberately forget and do the "source??!?!?" thing to obfuscate the issue for any randos reading. I know they haven't forgotten but they pretend to. Then they get to be smug assholes going "well if you don't have any evidence for your claims you are therefore lying :smug:" because I didn't dig through 2 years old youtube vids/forum posts for them to dismiss for my offhand comment alluding to a commonly known event that occurred. Like one of the dudes went "source your claims or you are lying" when I said CR said there would be up to 1k people in an instance. Everyone knows he said that. Its in an easily googled article and there were fuckloads of reddit theorycrafting threads on it.

I used to find sources but I quickly learned that whatever I posted would not be believed. Those people I think have to be either paid or be the 'project must succeed no matter the means' types.

There's also the "well you clearly don't understand the difference between an estimate or forecast and a promise" defense, the "that was before the scope change (which will of course never happen again) so don't try to hold them to that old bullshit" defense and the "clearly that's just the saying of an enthusiastic project leader whose ambitions weren't matched by his teams abilities, however, from now on," defense, among many others.

These are dudes who are happy to proclaim their adherence to Logic, meanwhile conjuring up a perspective that's impervious to falsification. To paraphrase Strong Bad: "it's like, even when we win, they win".

I love all of them, mostly because I get to limit my exposure to the Citizenry to an amount I can handle. If I had to interact with people like that in real life, I might go insane(r).

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
:agreed:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

If Derek posts on SA forums and no one reads it, is it still a missive?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

One of the claims against CIG's failed deliveries is that the word "promise" was never used.

Somebody double check me, but it appears that nowhere in the US Constitution, Bill of Rights (original 10 amendments), any of the additional amendments, or The Declaration of Independence, does the word "promise" occur.

I guess none of the United States of America's founding documents really mean anything. There were no promises. Checkmate, Goonie.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

There's also the "well you clearly don't understand the difference between an estimate or forecast and a promise" defense

If you read carefully, the current word they seem to be using is "aim". Can't fault them for just aiming at a date.

XK fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 18, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
these are strange times indeed

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/660bn6/feels_like_noone_is_playing/

quote:

I promise im not a goonie

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I have a gaggle of idiots saying "SOURCE?!?!??!"

"I'm not a journalist, idiot"

Chalks posted:

Holy poo poo the full diagram, I'd not seen it yet.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if they give monthly updates on their progress. I love watching coloured bars growing in size.

I'm turning it into an actual Gannt chart shortly because they're producing extremely specific time estimates without a critical path. I can see hints of a critical path, but the resourcing looks really fricking weird.

Bubbacub posted:

I'm not super familiar with Gantt charts, but why aren't the rows labeled?

It's notta-Gannt.

Viscous Soda posted:

I was actually looking at the mess this time and I noticed down near the bottom in the weapons area "SOTA Crossbow" planned at a little over three months. How could it possibly take that long? Especially when there are goals such as "Surface Outposts" that are only supposed to take two months? Heck "Breaching" is a month and a half. Even "Cargo 2.0" is supposed to take a little over two months.

It's kinda funny when you consider the past couple of years spent on presumably cargo 1.0 to actually not have a cargo system.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The entire thing looks literally unbelievably amatuer for a studio with a 9-figure budget.

dingdingdingdingding.

I slaved for years over MSProject, and I'm currently shackled to an Enterprise Jira instance. They're making some very professional tools look really bad.

Edit:

XK posted:

One of the claims against CIG's failed deliveries is that the word "promise" was never used.

They usually believe that technicalities in court are a lot more common than they actually are, and that there are loopholes to exploit in the 'spirit' of taking money up front for supplying goods at a later date. Get them to read their money sometime. Point out that it's not actually money, we just accept the promise on the note.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If we are the goonies then warlord smart is Sloth