Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BlueBlazer posted:

I enjoy making the sounds of a machine gun in my office when I'm typing out work orders.

Also I combine my love of mechanical keyboards combine obnoxious typing with lording over my thrift shop finds. So I didn't really go out of my way to buy them per say.

This is why I want one. I want everyone to know I'm in the building and keying in orders with a loud as hell clocktower clack motherfucker. But my thrift stores suck and I'm not paying what they want for a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lazyhound posted:

Nobody will ever care about that person enough to murder them.

its a lot of brass, might be worth a few bucks

Senior Management
Jul 3, 2011

Mechanical keyboards are cool and good and the ladies love them. If you are fine with rubber domes then you can't get with me.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Beer, coffee, and food snobs are worse.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Ok, so I THOUGHT I was a top oval office for loving my mechanical keyboard, I was totally in your camp of 'motherfuckers are stupid' but I REALLY wanted one, so I thought, gently caress it, life's too short, just get the nice thing and be happy with the stupid nice thing even though its dumb.

HOWEVER. Every single person that has ever used my keyboard has looked at me with a face that suggests they've seen their first boob and asked why my keyboard was so magical. It turns out it's not just me. Ok, so maybe I only know useless unlovable cunts, but when there's enough of us, it doesn't matter anymore because we can all love each other. Certainly owning one makes me ostensibly more unloveable though, my fiance hates it.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Anyone who cares that much about peripherals ironically does little of any use on them.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
I use my Mechanical Keyboard for writing papers and stuff like that, but for my gaming I use the Silent Keyboard because The Mechanical Keyboard ruins My Immersion.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
CLICK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLUCK CLACK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLICK *printer whirs* *gunshot noise*

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Sounds like one of your keys has a misaligned flange, or perhaps the internal spring has become worn out. I know this can happen to keys you use a lot, such as The Space Bar, or the Scroll Lock Key.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Creed Reunion Tour posted:

I use my Mechanical Keyboard for writing papers and stuff like that, but for my gaming I use the Silent Keyboard because The Mechanical Keyboard ruins My Immersion.

Dude, get a controller (gamepad).

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i custom made a mechanical xbox 360 controller to own noobs with

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Topre users are still ok right?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I was briefly thinking about buying a gaming pc, so I subscribed to the pcmasterrace subreddit, thinking these guys propably are the best ressource for that kind of stuff. Turns out that while they know exactly what hardware will fit my needs, they also are extremely obnoxious retards about their pcs, and will post endless photos of their LED contaminated garbage boxes. Every single one of them appearantly needs rainbow colored mechanical keyboars, and LEDs at every single place that they can fit in.

They're also huge elitists which is just pathetic when you realize that for them this is literally part of their identity, instead of just a tool you build to do a certain thing.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

The GOP Delusion posted:

op also refers to people with cars and houses as unlovable property evangelists

People who obsess about the tiny house revolution will be the first against the wall when that revolution is brutally supressed.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

T.S. Smelliot posted:

CLICK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLUCK CLACK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLACK CLICK CLICK *printer whirs* *gunshot noise*

and take ya money

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Why do they like these keyboards? (I honestly don't know are they better for gaming?)

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Amarcarts posted:

Why do they like these keyboards? (I honestly don't know are they better for gaming?)

I borrowed one from a friend for a few months, it's nice. Feels like the keys go down easier so it's probably better for gaming (at least I felt less in control in Overwatch once I went back to my old non-mechanical).
Mostly it's just fun going clickety-clack ya know.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
I like mechanical keyboards. In fact I'm typing on one right no!

It's really great. This is a clone IBM Model M that as part of a Kick Starter campaign. ell orth it. I signed up in May 2013 and they just delivered it to eeks ago. Can't recommend it highly enough. There is a problem ith one of the keys. I can't tell you hich key because it doesn't type anything. See: "". I should have signed up for the Stretch Goal here the button actually orks. Otherise a great keyboard.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

sout posted:

and take ya money

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Model M for life!

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Coworkers have those fancy keyboards and gaming mice for IT work. I'm just a lowly QA engineer who is happy with a stock dell keyboard and mouse.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you don't know, massdrop is a site where nerds can organize groupbuys for things like mechanical keyboards and steampunk tube amps for their headphones. Once upon a time, they set about creating the perfect mechanical keyboard, as a community.

The end result was the Infinity keyboard:

a complete piece of poo poo w/ no actual enclosure for $99-130 depending on how many idiots want to go in on a groupbuy for them at the time

oh and some assembly is required. to ensure that you can use the clickiest switches you can find, it comes totally disassembled and you get to solder every key onto it yourself for that personal touch

it doesnt even have F keys or a numpad. lmao

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 18, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Try having one of these people as an officemate. I lasted a month before snapping and telling him to get a quieter one. He was shocked and "didn't realize" people thought it was too loud. You could hear it like 20 feet down the hall.

I guess they feel nice to type on but if you use them in any kind of shared living or working environment you're a monster.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mechanical switches exist which are quiet and still feel really great to type on so any time that happens know that the clickiness was totally elective and unnecessary to the mechanical keyboard experience

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

poverty goat posted:

If you don't know, massdrop is a site where nerds can organize groupbuys for things like mechanical keyboards and steampunk tube amps for their headphones. Once upon a time, they set about creating the perfect mechanical keyboard, as a community.

The end result was the Infinity keyboard:

a complete piece of poo poo w/ no actual enclosure for $99-130 depending on how many idiots want to go in on a groupbuy for them at the time

That reminds me of when I was a kid and thought I was super smart because I pulled the keyboard out of my C= 64, extended the cable and could sit back and use it on my lap.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Try having one of these people as an officemate. I lasted a month before snapping and telling him to get a quieter one. He was shocked and "didn't realize" people thought it was too loud. You could hear it like 20 feet down the hall.

I guess they feel nice to type on but if you use them in any kind of shared living or working environment you're a monster.

Get a typewriter, hark back to the good old days when every office was a constant 95dB of type bars slamming into paper.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

On the contrary, clacking away gets people to close conference room doors when they're on speakerphone, and got me an office instead of cubicle. Clicky Keyboards own

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

you can getthem with quiet switches that feel the same but make less of or no noise

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It's good that my parents can hear me typing in keywords to find harem anime into pirate searchbars.

For real though I'd buy one if I could justify buying one. But whatever.

edit: Though I LOATH those smooth, flat keyboards they use mostly in our work. I had to dig around in the stores to find one with actual keys rather than a flat slate.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Yeah really, gently caress blue switches. Blacks or browns are basically the same noise level as your standard rattly fuckin' rubber dome keyboard and feel just as nice and definite as a blue switch. lot of nerds just like to make a loud noise when they type angry youtube comments about how Linus Tech Tips sold out i guess.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

All PC Master Race nerds are mechanical keyboard nerds and PCMR nerds are objectively the worst of all nerds.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Mechanical keyboards are the best thing ever.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
i never believed mechanical keyboard nerds until i got one on sale. it wasnt even a good one but i was like, oh yeah this is actually not bullshit hmm cool so youre wrong OP Sorry. probably helped that i had 0 expectations going in but regardless, clearly better

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
If you can get a quiet one for cheap it's definitely worth it

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Just lol if you don't unironically enjoy typing on a machanical keyboard. It's the best!!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I got a loud one for expensive and im looking into a way to add some kind of guitar pickup to the metal base so that all the vibrations can be amplified further.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Pawn 17 posted:

Just lol if you don't unironically enjoy typing on a machanical keyboard. It's the best!!

I don't dislike them, I just feel very little appreciable difference between them and a lovely 20 dollar logitech one. It certainly doesn't have any effect on my typing speed or accuracy which is all that really matters.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
I like how a lot of sites that sell/review mech keyboards​ also sell earplugs, recommending you have them around for your annoyed office mates.
I have one at home and it's okay. It does feel nice and whatever but drat I'm not gonna go all autistic over it. Also I'd never take one to work.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Mechanical keyboards own.

They own so hard I have a pile in the back of my office waiting to swap in for when I spill another cup of coffee on my current one. A couple weeks in the pile to dry out and it's good as new.

What I hate is cheap rear end usb / ps2 converterrrrrrrrrrs that sometimes speeeeeew a key here and there.

Sorry for your tender babby ears OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
My roommate in high school had a Model M and kept me up all night talking to some girl. He got way cooler with age though so I can't hold it against him 15 years later or whatever.

edit: I kinda want one because I can only type decently fast if I hit the keys real hard because I am literally a stupid ape but I keep my loud nerd hobbies at home and don't use a computer at my job so whatever.

• Locked thread