Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Open Source Idiom posted:

My god I just finished Slings And Arrows for the first time. It's so, so good -- the King Lear season in particular. Absolutely amazing. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, it's a Canadian comedy/drama about a theatre trying to put on various Shakespeare plays, and the difficulties involved. Each season focuses on a different Shakespeare, and part of the difficulty involved in mounting the production lies in the events behind the scenes beginning to mirror the events in the actual plays. Which should be a recipe for high fructose corn syrup, but it ends up not being at all.

The entire thing is so gentle and funny for the most part, but then the final season just really rakes the entire cast through it -- but the thing that really gets me is how grounded and realistic it is. Despite having supernatural elements it's never particularly genre, and despite being a drama It's never melodramatic. Even when it's funny all the characters are themselves first, and joke machines second -- except for the two comic relief characters, who both turn out to be deeply unbalanced people.

It's so, so good, and I think it's crazy that no-one really talks about it. I mean, you see it turn up in the occasional top ten lists, and critics like Sepinwall and Nussbaum talk really highly of it when it does come up. David Simon, who made The Wire, talked about how much he admired the show (and you can see it shares many of his sensibilities, if a completely different subject matter). Hell, Todd Vanderwerff did a whole big retrospective for the Av Club about five years back, back when the Av Club was a respectable name and had the content and coverage to back that name. But I don't think I've ever seen a show fall into complete obscurity so, so quickly.

It's really very good.

Thanks for the suggestion! Especially since I had never heard of this and likely never would have without your help. I managed to get a hold of it and am gonna give it a try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

fadam posted:

Patriot is an incredible show for a lot of reasons, but how exhausted and miserable Michael Dorman looks all the time really sells the show imo. I'm glad I decided to start watching this on a whim.

The "sad man in a suit" description was so spot on.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mu Zeta posted:

Leftovers is back. Off to a good start.

Despite watching the show because of the previous page discussion of Food Network I just somehow jumped to The Leftovers being a cooking contest and your image being about a chef that forgot to put the top on his blender.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

Pro doesn't rhyme with con though. I mean yeah it makes more sense, but it doesn't rhyme.

Maybe you meant alliteration? Bakers/Fakers and Help/Yelp also have alliteration, but pro/con do not. So I'm not sure what combination of rhyming or not would actually fit your weird problem with the name of the show. My problem with it is that it's a dumb show.

It's called assonance or consonance when it's not the first letter.

:eng101:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I am re-watching deadwood. My opinion, that deadwood is the greatest show of all time, remains unwavering. Those that disagree, suck cock by choice!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hughmoris posted:

Why don't you see more male hotel maids in other countries?

They took my attache poo poo!

I know what you're thinking. Why Twizzlers?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
In renewal news: both Imposters and Patriot have been given second seasons. Goons, you may now die happy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So glad Patriot go renewed.

Also, Silicon Valley is really good.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^has Silicon Valley improved since I caught a few episodes of the first & second seasons? Just didn't find it funny.

I fell into watching Community season 1 again. It makes me laugh out loud more than any other US comedy series I can remember. Also just everything about it is great. Goddamn is it niche levels of nerdiness though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm about 4 episodes into the first season. I love Mike Judge.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

I'm about 4 episodes into the first season. I love Mike Judge.

Oh man, you haven't gotten to the scene. Post when you do.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So that Taboo show with Tom hardy just came and went like a fart in the wind.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snak posted:

God drat The Expanse is so good.

It has some shortcomings, but it makes up for them if you you can wait for it.

Has the season ended yet? I plan to immediately binge it after S2 ends. S1 was dopeeeee

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Has the season ended yet? I plan to immediately binge it after S2 ends. S1 was dopeeeee

Tomorrow, I believe.

Mu Zeta posted:

So that Taboo show with Tom hardy just came and went like a fart in the wind.

It got renewed despite being expensive as poo poo.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Qmass posted:

I am re-watching deadwood. My opinion, that deadwood is the greatest show of all time, remains unwavering. Those that disagree, suck cock by choice!

It really is the best

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Neil was clarifying on twitter today how to watch American Gods when it premiers at the end of this month. Looks like it's going to be Starz if you're in the US, and Amazon Prime if you're not in the US.

Considering I had no idea what the hell Starz was, and was thus pessimistic over what they were going to do for Canadian broadcast, this isn't a terrible outcome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Check the list

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That doesn't seem complicated. "Its on Starz, and if you don't have it you can probably get it through Amazon Prime." Was this an issue? Aren't most shows on a channel that isn't necessarily available to everyone?

In renewal news: both Imposters and Patriot have been given second seasons. Goons, you may now die happy.

Which would be a good plan if you don't want to see the forum turn on those shows in their second seasons.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Inspector 34 posted:

Pro doesn't rhyme with con though. I mean yeah it makes more sense, but it doesn't rhyme.

Maybe you meant alliteration? Bakers/Fakers and Help/Yelp also have alliteration

No. No they do not.

So what you're telling me is, Amazon Prime Video would be useful for me right now if I lived literally anywhere but the US.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I get Starz in Canada. Take that!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Americans can purchase a Starz add on to Amazon Prime.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Double great.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 19, 2017

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Josh Lyman posted:

JFC I have so much TV to catch up on.

4 episodes of The Magicians
5 episodes of The Expanse
5 episodes of Legion
6 episodes of The Americans

And of course the season premiere of The Leftovers.

I feel you. I really mean to watch all the crap I have saved but I never have the time and when I do I invest in new shows. Speaking of which I just got into The Mick and it's pretty great so far.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Oh man, you haven't gotten to the scene. Post when you do.

How am I gonna know which scene is "the scene"?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dick joke

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I actually saw that scene out of context before I even started watching the show. It was great, though.

Just started season 2, and what the gently caress, they killed off the best character?! Nooooooooo.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snak posted:

Oh, I actually saw that scene out of context before I even started watching the show. It was great, though.

Just started season 2, and what the gently caress, they killed off the best character?! Nooooooooo.

Nah, it's kinda sadder than that, nobody wanted that character written off, not Mike judge, not anybody...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh :(

Yeah that is sad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

On the other hand you'll soon learn how car doors are SUPPOSED to close.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Is there not a Samurai Jack thread? I looked in the index thread and didn't see anything and I figure it would be in here, not ADTRW. Tia.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Behold the time portal to the Samurai Jack thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812417

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Did they keep the stupid "first plate" thing?

God, I hope not. Even Alton Brown was pretty vocal in interviews about hating all the gimmicks they started putting into Iron Chef America (that's also the reason he quit doing Next Iron Chef and Food Network Star; he hated the dog and pony show stuff).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I just finished the most recent season of Homeland, and drat. Just drat.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Snak posted:

How am I gonna know which scene is "the scene"?
The actual best scene is Erlich taking monster bong loads while painfully coughing as he continues a speech just barely.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I just noticed IMDB got rid of their forums. I know they had their problems but I actually really liked popping into the forum for a show I was checking out and seeing what people were saying about it.

Is there anything as broad anywhere else?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Russ just showed up. This is a pretty good show.

Despite being completely at the whim of random events we can't see coming, I'm really invested in the plot.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

-Blackadder- posted:

So I just noticed IMDB got rid of their forums. I know they had their problems but I actually really liked popping into the forum for a show I was checking out and seeing what people were saying about it.

Is there anything as broad anywhere else?

I legit didn't know IMDb had forums. Probably Reddit for the biggest variations of opinions, but Reddit is a cesspool.

Snak posted:

Russ just showed up. This is a pretty good show.

Despite being completely at the whim of random events we can't see coming, I'm really invested in the plot.

This guy fucks

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Medullah posted:

I legit didn't know IMDb had forums.

Their forums were insane, it was all dynamically created based on their database so every single actor, show, movie, writer, you name it had their own designated forum. That's why it was shut down, it was taking up a huge amount of space and bandwidth and even by the standards of traditional message boards in a post-Facebook world nobody was using it outside of the most inane bullshit imaginable.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Their forums were insane, it was all dynamically created based on their database so every single actor, show, movie, writer, you name it had their own designated forum. That's why it was shut down, it was taking up a huge amount of space and bandwidth and even by the standards of traditional message boards in a post-Facebook world nobody was using it outside of the most inane bullshit imaginable.

Every time I looked up any TV show or movie (because I'm a sucker for trivia or other knowledge that will not have any positive impact on my life) I'd see the forums at the bottom and noticed they were exclusively used for creepy posts about how hot some actress in the show is. And now those people can go back to Reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

BJPaskoff posted:

Every time I looked up any TV show or movie (because I'm a sucker for trivia or other knowledge that will not have any positive impact on my life) I'd see the forums at the bottom and noticed they were exclusively used for creepy posts about how hot some actress in the show is. And now those people can go back to Reddit.

Noticed far more of these on children's and teen shows. Can't imagine why.

• Locked thread