Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Zakmonster posted:

Would increasing the weakpoint damage to 2x across the board be a good change? Increases the rewards for scoring headshots with your semi-automatics, at least.

Before touching weak point damage they'd have to fix the hitboxes so they're actually a reliable. With the current state of the weak spots they're utterly useless as a balancing lever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

If I was just putting together a test server that I got to play god with... Go 1000, 1500, 2000 for raider health. Explosions at 500/750/1000 damage. 2 to kill a raider with nothing else, but possible with power damage bonuses and explosion bonuses to get seem close to an instagib. Or throwing a proper charged overload into a group of 3 in an annihilation field should gib all three.

Sharpshooter types at 2.5x health, berserkers/nullifier at 5x.

Melee base damage should stay the same, but every non rage melee buff should be nerfed. It shouldn't be possible for any jackass to break 650 damage per punch without sacrificing another couple of good upgrades except krogans. It takes away from their identity. Krogans should absolutely break 1k damage per headbutt.

Widow/isharay type sniper rifles at 500 damage with a 3x multiplier at I, easily able to break the 2k mark with the right setup on gold.

Vanquisher at 300ish damage with a 2.5x multiplier, 3 headshots initially with a spare in the chamber, able to get that down to 2 headshots or a full clip of body shots.

Shotguns should hit like trucks, but 1.5x multiplier for weakspot damage. Ruzad should hit for 1.2k base, something like the Hesh should hit for 600ish. With missing pellets you will probably be able to 2 shot a raider from up close, with a punch to finish it off if you aren't dead on.

Assault rifles should generally have 2x modifiers, Mattock with its 16 clip should be doing about 150 a bullet. Enough that a full clip of body shots always kills a raider, but headshotting on a soldier class can take out an observer without reloading. Revenant should be at 80-100ish damage a bullet. Slower ttk as you aren't headshotting as much with it, but plenty of sustain. Assault rifles generally need way less bloom as well.

Smgs are actually about right for this, but stuff like the sidewinder could use a big buff. Talon should be at 500/shot. Anything rapid fire at 1.5x headshot, semiauto/burst at 2x in this category.

With this, adjust spawn sizes up, and lower their individual damage a bit for the base raider/chosen. Bronze SHOULD be a joke to anybody with decent gear. Silver relies on actually hitting headshots OR having leveled gear with barrels to make it a complete joke. A lot if stuff like overload and need their base damage doubled, incinerate could be tripled.

Raiders are junk, and should be killable with a full clip of any gun, or half a clip of a soldier with all the gun passives, or almost any pair of abilities (including the buffed explosion damage). 2 grenades, overload/incinerate combo. Make the midrange enemies a bigger threat with more hp that require coordination or burning all 6 grenades to kill in under 10-15 seconds.

Also, make assemblers the mid tier enemy, shields over armor, and observers the base tier enemy with like 1/3rd their current damage and spawn way more of them. And make them 3/4th shield, 1/4th health. Buff breachers with a small shield. Let engineers really feel good about pulling the faction they're designed to fight.

Gold should be possible, add back in that 4th tier Platinum with raiders at 3k health base and giving out 120k/win for the real hardcore.

One of the biggest problems I see right now is the lack of specialization. Any jackass adept can do great with a black widow and no powers, so going soldier doesn't help that much. Anybody with a juggernaut shield can outpunch a krogan without. No explosion focused build will push out more dps than either of those. There's no niche for "The soldier is going to dump ammo into the berserkers, the adept is going to clear raider 6 packs, the infiltrator is going to get behind and drop a full BW clip into the hydra tank and bring it down to 1/3rd health while the vanguard solos the smaller spawn behind us."

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Zigmidge posted:

I don't melee or fire a round from my gun but go on, keep telling me how it is. It's on par for this bad thread.

I'm still waiting for that build and breakdown of how you play. I don't care what these other guys are saying, I just want to do something different and if your having good survivability and fun I want to try that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Relentless posted:

And with no xp/credit penalty, why wouldn't you?

Random no longer gives you a bonus? Welp, never fighting Kett again!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zigmidge posted:

This thread will disagree until its blue in the face and blood runs down it. They're wrong, of course. But good luck maintaining this point!

I've also talked about my very high success rate with AsAdept and AsSent specced for survivability/combos and how well it does on Gold but we're gonna just have to wait until some people leave or they buff the guns to where they all kill "mooks" in one shot on Gold.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm still waiting for that build and breakdown of how you play. I don't care what these other guys are saying, I just want to do something different and if your having good survivability and fun I want to try that

Same. Im just wondering what I could be doing differently

Specifically the 'kill poo poo and guns don't matter' part because all ive gotten are poo poo drops so far.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got six male vanguard cards before I got another female vanguard. The female vanguard's level 20. The male's level 1.

:negative:

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Error 404 posted:

Same. Im just wondering what I could be doing differently

Specifically the 'kill poo poo and guns don't matter' part because all ive gotten are poo poo drops so far.

I have horrible weapons, Vanquisher 1, bronze ones are all X.

Have been getting horrible guns from premium packs so all i've been playing is vanguard because you don't really need much guns for vanguard to be awesome.

I also been abusing the gently caress out of vanquisher with double ammo mods on a soldier.. so I'd like to stop doing this... because I'm starting to run out of ammo mods.

So I'm really interested in something that isn't a vanquisher build.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I have horrible weapons, Vanquisher 1, bronze ones are all X.

Have been getting horrible guns from premium packs so all i've been playing is vanguard because you don't really need much guns for vanguard to be awesome.

I also been abusing the gently caress out of vanquisher with double ammo mods on a soldier.. so I'd like to stop doing this... because I'm starting to run out of ammo mods.

So I'm really interested in something that isn't a vanquisher build.

For bronze X guns - Charger with Cryo + human soldier is pretty good. I usually run that with my casters as well.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I actually really like fighting the Kett, they feel like I'm actually fighting weird aliens in a sci-fi game. Robots aren't fun and Dudes aren't fun, but the Kett... that feels like a proper sci-fi battle.

I never touched singleplayer, that may be part of it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

chami posted:

For bronze X guns - Charger with Cryo + human soldier is pretty good. I usually run that with my casters as well.
Raptor is a really good workhorse gun. Ignoring the fact it's an uncommon sniper rifle, it's one of the best rare assault rifles in the game right now.

You can get 5 advance packs for every premium pack, so it doesn't take long to get it to a respectable level, even if RNG insists on giving you the cyclone and carnifex over and over.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Grondoth posted:

I actually really like fighting the Kett, they feel like I'm actually fighting weird aliens in a sci-fi game. Robots aren't fun and Dudes aren't fun, but the Kett... that feels like a proper sci-fi battle.

I never touched singleplayer, that may be part of it.

Kett are fun until you get stuck in a room with a fiend and ascendent and then rubberband off the door frame for 30 seconds before you get sync killed.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Vidmaster posted:

Kett are fun until you get stuck in a room with a fiend and ascendent and then rubberband off the door frame for 30 seconds before you get sync killed.

I think the Kett are really well designed as a faction. You've got melee trash mobs that actually require paying attention, basic shooty dude, your Actual Threat dude, a Sneaky Dude, a Big drat Threat and an alternate squishier but requires more coordination Big drat Threat.

Remnant at least have a real Big drat Threat, Observers and Assemblers are decent at their jobs, but Breachers are the least effective trash mob, and nullifiers are hilariously bad at their job unless you're completely pinned down by observers. It's a decent trick, but outside of observers and destroyer turrets, they're all super defensive and easy to snipe from across the map. I think they'd be more challenging, but the two real threats (Observers and Nullifiers) are countered by 2 of the better dps options (Snipers and melee).

Outlaws have a carbon copy but less effective trash mob of the Kett, Anarchists, Agents, Pariahs, and Berserkers are all competing to be a midlevel threat, but the AI on 3 of them means they're more annoying. And Berserkers don't actually do that much damage unless you decide to get in a punching match with them. And their big drat threat is neutered by shooting it in the eyeball. Sharpshooters are decent at their jobs, but boring. They've got the most variety, but most of them aren't threats. If the Agents had decoy and invis, and actually got close to you to shotgun you, they'd could decent. Instead he just decoys and hides behind low cover waiting to get shot in the head. If Anarchists did anything but hide and throw a single grenade every 15 seconds, they'd be a threat. Pariahs freak out and die as soon as you punch them.

The real problem with the Kett is they got two buggy sync kills compared to none for Remnant and one for Outlaws that I've never had grab me from another floor or from 15 feet away. If they fixed those, and Outlaws stopping bringing their crappy subpar turians, asari and salarians and just brought more Krogan, we'd all be fighting Kett as the easy group. But so much of the Outlaw later wave spawn budget is taken up by mobs that are just not that good at their job.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
My problem with Kett is the intended, design of the Anointed and the Destined, and how they actually behave.

The Anointed is supposed to force you into cover, much like the Observer. He does that well, but he also has the annoying habit of walking around your cover and just shooting you from point blank range. This is pretty cool, I guess, to have an enemy that's this aggressive, but gets frustrating. I think the Anointed should not be able to move while firing, to give him some sort of limitation.

The Destined is supposed to flush you out of cover, with stealth and strong shotgun blasts. The problem is that his shotgun is too drat accurate, so he can easily ping you from halfway across the map, while his cloak hides a whole bunch of Chosen and at least a couple of Anointed. The effective range of the Destined's shotgun needs to be reduced, so he has to get in closer to you, or at least have the same tactic as the Outlaw Pariah which is to run around behind you very quickly and then open fire from close range.

It will do a lot to make Kett an easier faction to fight, rather than the problem we have now which is a huge clump of enemies all traveling together in stealth.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

RBA Starblade posted:

I got six male vanguard cards before I got another female vanguard. The female vanguard's level 20. The male's level 1.

:negative:

Why are there even different cards for sex? Why not just have a sex toggle? Is it just to pad out the list to make it look like there are more classes than there actually are? I think it is.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

PureRok posted:

Why are there even different cards for sex? Why not just have a sex toggle? Is it just to pad out the list to make it look like there are more classes than there actually are? I think it is.

Pretty much. In ME3 people used to spec some classes differently for fighting different factions, or have a silver farming glass cannon vanguard and a more durable one for gold. But that's about it.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, for the human classes I take the opportunity to spec each one differently, because there's enough variance in the playstyles to make it worth it. Did the same in ME3.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Relentless posted:

Outlaws have a carbon copy but less effective trash mob of the Kett, Anarchists, Agents, Pariahs, and Berserkers are all competing to be a midlevel threat, but the AI on 3 of them means they're more annoying. And Berserkers don't actually do that much damage unless you decide to get in a punching match with them. And their big drat threat is neutered by shooting it in the eyeball. Sharpshooters are decent at their jobs, but boring. They've got the most variety, but most of them aren't threats. If the Agents had decoy and invis, and actually got close to you to shotgun you, they'd could decent. Instead he just decoys and hides behind low cover waiting to get shot in the head. If Anarchists did anything but hide and throw a single grenade every 15 seconds, they'd be a threat. Pariahs freak out and die as soon as you punch them.

The biggest threat from sharpshooters is the way their AI interacts with the poor melee lock to make them boxing champions. As for Hydras, they also suffer from having utterly laughable melee attacks that make it easy for a vanguard to just punch them down in a stand-up fistfight. Their grab isn't even a guaranteed sync kill as it's entirely possible to survive it. Not to mention how easy the big wind-up and short range makes it to dodge.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I got in a bad spot as an Asari Adept and decided to rush a Sharpshooter to knock him out before he could kill me. I set off a biotic combo and died. The killfeed said I had killed myself with my own Annihilation. I... didn't realize that was possible.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Maybe you blew up a canister nearby and died because of that?

Last night I got hit by a Hydra barrage and almost died, so I charged the nearest thing, which happened to be a Pariah. She had her Backlash up, but was mainly facing another teammate, so her side was to me.

Apparently Backlash can reflect Charge.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zakmonster posted:

Last night I got hit by a Hydra barrage and almost died, so I charged the nearest thing, which happened to be a Pariah. She had her Backlash up, but was mainly facing another teammate, so her side was to me.

Now these are the kind of bugs I like. That's fantastic.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Zakmonster posted:

It's possible, but I didn't see one. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab8tevj51qQ

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
A canister would also explain how the sharpshooter ended up on fire.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Assuming that video was from the incident it was behind you, on the floor. You can see it at the start of the clip.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Zakmonster posted:

A canister would also explain how the sharpshooter ended up on fire.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zakmonster posted:

Yeah, for the human classes I take the opportunity to spec each one differently, because there's enough variance in the playstyles to make it worth it. Did the same in ME3.

I'm glad Respec Cards are so cheap otherwise I'd want some way to save two different specs for each class. Having both a Bastion and a Shock Trooper HuGuard is handy though. Shock Trooper is fun to tool around on Silver with.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I've been playing a HuGuard that's solely based around using powers, no melee whatsoever. Pretty fun, if mainly because you're so squishy and need to be constantly moving fast everywhere. Setting off 3 biotic combos in the space of 3 seconds is also pretty awesome.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've decided Asari Huntress is the worst Rare class. She doesn't have a unique Passive to make up for boring powers. I know Stealth Grid is busted but on Huntress it just feels like I have to keep running to ammo boxes to keep sniping. I tried playing her as a "get in faces and detonate combos" but she's strictly inferior at doing that than Asari Sentinel.

And I have Huntress at IV meanwhile there are still like 7 entire classes I haven't unlocked (granted, that's counting all the URs bar KroGlad).

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Zakmonster posted:

Backlash can reflect Cobras

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Has bioware said anything acknowledging the terrible deadzone on consoles?

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
The thing that I hate the most about the Kett is

that so many people focus on completely avoiding fighting them that they don't know how to fight them. I've had way too many games vs Kett where I'm scoring 10k more than the next guy, and it's a MIRACLE if we get to Wave 6, and I'm not even that good. I've never had issues with Fiends teleporting to sync kill, either.

precision posted:

I've decided Asari Huntress is the worst Rare class. She doesn't have a unique Passive to make up for boring powers. I know Stealth Grid is busted but on Huntress it just feels like I have to keep running to ammo boxes to keep sniping. I tried playing her as a "get in faces and detonate combos" but she's strictly inferior at doing that than Asari Sentinel.

Agreed, I have no idea how to spec this class out. It's like an Asari Adept without the infinitely useful Annihilation to prime for combos.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

There are a few classes that just seem to suck. I have a rank 6 krogan engineer that is almost max level and he can baaaarely survive on gold, overload and incinerate just tickle enemies.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Doc Dee posted:

I've never had issues with Fiends teleporting to sync kill, either.
Have you never had a ninja fiend tiptoe across the map to sync kill you while your back is turned for two seconds?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

OxMan posted:

There are a few classes that just seem to suck. I have a rank 6 krogan engineer that is almost max level and he can baaaarely survive on gold, overload and incinerate just tickle enemies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_niuHgNboE

Overload... is bad.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

LOL!!!! like 33% on gold? Overload should strip Anointed/Destined/Sharpshooter/Observer shields in 1 hit no problem on gold.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

tooterfish posted:

Have you never had a ninja fiend tiptoe across the map to sync kill you while your back is turned for two seconds?

Never.

It may also be because pretty much the only times I face Kett anymore are when I'm hosting on Random or trying to do one of the APEX missions, but even before I was doing that it didn't happen.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
The huntress is obviously better than the salarian architect, and it's not like the krogan mercenary is that good (rip flamer), or the havoc trooper is that unique. Admittedly the huntress's main niche is that her other powers are so mediocre you can focus on sniping, using throw and lance just to detonate combos every once in a while.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Dilb posted:

The huntress is obviously better than the salarian architect, and it's not like the krogan mercenary is that good (rip flamer), or the havoc trooper is that unique. Admittedly the huntress's main niche is that her other powers are so mediocre you can focus on sniping, using throw and lance just to detonate combos every once in a while.

She's a weird relic from 3. She used to have Cloak, Warp, Dark Channel. So a sniper with two long range dots that can combo off each other (Dark Channel->Warp) or drop the armor debuff/shield strip of of warp, stay cloaked through a tier 6 Cloak evolution and then start shooting.

But they got rid of 2 of her powers, and switched cloak to one that doesn't let her get a free cast. Went from being a REALLY well designed class with a specific niche to a sniper that can get barrier back by punching. To be closer to where she was, she needs Invasion instead of throw, but that still doesn't really address the problem of just not having neat interactions between all 3 powers.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Doc Dee posted:

Never.

It may also be because pretty much the only times I face Kett anymore are when I'm hosting on Random or trying to do one of the APEX missions, but even before I was doing that it didn't happen.

Stealth fiends happen in singleplayer too so I guess you're just lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I got to 6/3/3/3 consumables from basic packs.

Can my max consumables go up further? Are the +max consumable drops rare or ultra-rare?

• Locked thread