Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

minivanmegafun posted:

I have a 25' wide Chicago lot, I'd spend more time squeezing a lawnmower through the gangway than I would mowing. Manual push reel mower for me!

manual push mower, are you a sadist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

LogisticEarth posted:

Get rid of some of that lawn, yikes. What's the point of 2 acres if you keep it all turf grass?

To be clear, it's not 2 acres of grass, the *plot* is just under 2 acres, but that includes the house as well as the driveway (which is fairly long as it's a flag lot) so there's grass alongside the driveway on both sides (which we couldn't really get rid of since it's flanked by our neighbors yard so it would look weird for there to be a strip of not grass on either side). A big chunk of it I do plan to get rid of though, it's on a steep hill where our sand mound for the septic tank is, and it's steep enough to not really be usable for anything yard related, it's just grass to look at it. I just haven't gotten around to figuring out wtf to do with it yet. The actual yard around the house is not unreasonably large I think, but it's larger then normal.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I spent every weekend growing up mowing 20 god drat acres and I'll never forgive my dad for that

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Motronic posted:

General question here.....what exactly is the aversion people have to proper gas powered small tools?

I mean, I get that if you leave crap ethanol gas in them they don't want to start. But this has been an entirely solved problem for quite some time now (google: trufuel and you'll find that as well as many other brands).

My mower and my honda generator are the only gas powered devices I feel like dealing with and both use standard fuel and I have very little problems with them.
I am not handy with engines at all and the less I have to outsource for repairs, the better.

There's also all the environmental and noise benefits people mentioned.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

mastershakeman posted:

I spent every weekend growing up mowing 20 god drat acres and I'll never forgive my dad for that

This is absolutely the most sadistic thing I've ever read. 20 acres? That's like 15 hours of work. Every weekend? Good lord.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This is absolutely the most sadistic thing I've ever read. 20 acres? That's like 15 hours of work. Every weekend? Good lord.

it was on a 5' riding lawnmower and took 10+ hours

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Why the hell was he actually mowing 20 acres?

What possible use could he have for that? 20 acres is an Allis Chalmers tractor and a brushhog once a month kinda territory.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

No Butt Stuff posted:

What possible use could he have for that? 20 acres is an Allis Chalmers tractor and a brushhog once a month kinda territory.

The guy I share an office with and I were talking lawn tractors and we only got up through Deere's lawn tractor series before we got tired of it. Forgot people would actually want to mow higher than that. I would just try for reclaimed prairie, myself.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Since people are chatting about battery powered yard tools:

:siren: Don't charge/leave your batteries in the garage! :siren:

If you live somewhere relatively cool it's probably fine, but storing (and especially charging) Lithium Ion batteries at over like 80'F will kill their capacity incredibly fast. Better to store them in a closet indoors somewhere and just take them out when you need them instead.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Motronic posted:

General question here.....what exactly is the aversion people have to proper gas powered small tools?

I mean, I get that if you leave crap ethanol gas in them they don't want to start. But this has been an entirely solved problem for quite some time now (google: trufuel and you'll find that as well as many other brands).

The catalyst for me was that I had no place I could store them correctly. No garage or shed, and I didn't want to add one. I have easy access unfinished basement space, but its under the bedrooms and open to the ac/furnace etc. So fumes from any of that stuff was a huge problem. Having used good electric ones now I much prefer it. So much quieter, no vibrations, nothing gets crazy hot. Much better experience, although of course it costs a bit more.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Well to be fair, his dad wasn't mowing it. :v:

Clearly he was helping his kid build character through adversity.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ashcans posted:

Well to be fair, his dad wasn't mowing it. :v:

Clearly he was helping his kid build character through adversity.

yeah he recently got sheep because it's easier to herd them around than find anyone willing to sit on a mower all day for $100

Speaking of gas powered stuff, everything I have is corded except for a snowblower I got as a present and used once. Should I drain the fuel tank ? I hate having it take up so much space in the garage let alone possible fume issues

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

mastershakeman posted:

yeah he recently got sheep because it's easier to herd them around than find anyone willing to sit on a mower all day for $100

Speaking of gas powered stuff, everything I have is corded except for a snowblower I got as a present and used once. Should I drain the fuel tank ? I hate having it take up so much space in the garage let alone possible fume issues
You should just run the fuel tank dry. I didn't last summer and was only able to get it working again this winter due to Motronic's carburetor cleaning advice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Or siphon out the fuel and put it into one of your vehicle gas tanks. It might be a bit off but if you mix it with most of a tank of regular gasoline it'll be fine.

Alternatively, fill it up most of the way and add some gas stabilizer to it.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

i installed a garbage disposal yesterday, i'm awesome

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Leperflesh posted:

Or siphon out the fuel and put it into one of your vehicle gas tanks. It might be a bit off but if you mix it with most of a tank of regular gasoline it'll be fine.

it has oil mixed in so I don't think I'll do that. I guess I can use what's leftover in the can though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rocks posted:

i installed a garbage disposal yesterday, i'm awesome

Congrats! Garbage disposals are a pain in the rear end to deal with. How's your back feeling? :v:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

People mow more than once every week or two ???

People dont leave their lovely old mower out in the elements all winter, the tank filled with gas ???

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 18, 2017

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

^^ Those are my thoughts, exactly. I mow when it gets high, usually around 1.5 weeks. Mower is covered when not in use and gas/lines are drained for the winter.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Mowing twice a week just a little is one of the keys to crowding out weeds without blasting the storm drains with herbicide. I don't do it but if you want no weeds and all grass it is the way of the lawn master.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

This is the answer, put some stabilizer in there and run it for a few minutes to get the stabilized gas through the carburetor and into the lines. This prevents gaskets and stuff from drying out.

Alternatively, instead of stabil or equivalent, try using Seafoam to stabilize the gas. Had the added benefit of cleaning out deposits as well.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Mowing twice a week just a little is one of the keys to crowding out weeds without blasting the storm drains with herbicide. I don't do it but if you want no weeds and all grass it is the way of the lawn master.

What about turf builder or weed and feed?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

Why would mowing twice a week inhibit weed growth/spread more than mowing once a week?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

No Butt Stuff posted:

What about turf builder or weed and feed?

Weed and feed is pre-emergent so it only works on weeds that haven't popped up when you put the weed and feed down (and its not usually 100%). It IS good to use, though. You can't use it in the fall when overseeding though.

QuarkJets posted:

Why would mowing twice a week inhibit weed growth/spread more than mowing once a week?

When you cut grass (at an appropriate height) t likes to say "ok well screw you then" and thicken. This helps encourage it to fill any gaps weeds can pop up into and produce a thicker, healthier stand that crowds out weeds.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Plus it's better for the grass because it's less stressful to lose a little bit of itself rather than half the plant.

It's me, I'm the poster child for lazy mowing :negative:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Well now I know why the neighbor that mows his lawn every couple days does that. It is the nicest lawn on the street.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I set my deck real low and mow once a week because I'm lazy, despite knowing that I need to bump that sucker up and start mowing more often.

One day my kids will be old enough to mow and by God, I'll have a nice lawn then.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

uwaeve posted:

I don't know but troublefreepool.com is where I came up to speed fast after buying a house with a pool.

dalstrs posted:

This is the same for me. Better advice there than I got from the pool store.

Just wanted to come back around and let you know that you guys are awesome. Their shock-and-maintain regimen worked like bonkers, and their pool chemistry info is written in a way that even an idiot (like me) can understand. My pool went from a touch hazy to nearly green and completely opaque in a month because the PO had been using stabilized chlorine, and the CYA level was retardedly-high. (~130ppm) No amount of chlorine was going to kill anything. The pool store was insistent that I should buy some clarifier.

I had to dump a bunch of water and refill/rebalance chemicals, but everything is humming along nicely now, and the thing is crystal-clear blue.

Now it highlights the original marcite bottom-finish, which is a bit long in the tooth... :v:

Homeownership: IT NEVER ENDS

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hubis posted:

Weed and feed is pre-emergent so it only works on weeds that haven't popped up when you put the weed and feed down (and its not usually 100%). It IS good to use, though. You can't use it in the fall when overseeding though.

When you cut grass (at an appropriate height) t likes to say "ok well screw you then" and thicken. This helps encourage it to fill any gaps weeds can pop up into and produce a thicker, healthier stand that crowds out weeds.

That's interesting

Probably not going to mow more than once a month anyway (the point where my grass just begins to look too long)

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Let's talk blinds. Why are they so loving expensive in stores and is there any reason I shouldn't just get these? https://www.justblinds.com/cellular-shades

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Those look like poo poo

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

QuarkJets posted:

That's interesting

Probably not going to mow more than once a month anyway (the point where my grass just begins to look too long)

I'm assuming you live in some kind of cold or dry climate because waiting for a month around me means your grass is like a foot long and has gone to seed.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I got my custom cordless blinds from selectblinds.com and they were pretty reasonable. Although one got screwed up internally after a year, they immediately manufactured and shipped me a new one for free upon contacting them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

I'm assuming you live in some kind of cold or dry climate because waiting for a month around me means your grass is like a foot long and has gone to seed.

Dry climate; water mostly comes from the sprinkler system, which I restrict to running just 2 nights a week (this is still a huge fraction of my water bill, though; lawncare is incredibly expensive and wasteful!)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elysium posted:

Let's talk blinds. Why are they so loving expensive in stores and is there any reason I shouldn't just get these? https://www.justblinds.com/cellular-shades

We love our blinds.com (Home Depot Brand) blinds. They are the cordless cell shades, whatever their most popular was on their site. We got a bunch of samples, picked the one we liked, and used their full service measure + install referral service. My only regret is not buying them for every window in the house.

Don't pay retail for them, and there is a refer-a-friend scam I can sign you up for if interested.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
plantation shutters are massively superior to shades. being able to take a nap in a pitch dark room at noon is amazing

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Getting a couple of quotes for insulation.

One company gives me $3800 and the other company estimates $1500. Work looks like it's about the same (R35) but why would the first company charge twice as much?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Elysium posted:

If you want to just spend as little money as possible why don't you just buy mini blinds? They're the cheapest option and nobody even notices them given how ubiquitous they are. That's what I did for a bunch of rooms (my wife insisted on wood blinds downstairs).

mastershakeman posted:

plantation shutters are massively superior to shades. being able to take a nap in a pitch dark room at noon is amazing

And they only cost like five times as much!

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 20, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Ugghhh we are in the process of finding someone to go about tearing up the lovely old laminate and installation carpet from the house and I think have settled on LVT. I don't have the time, energy or patience to do it myself. Is $5 a square foot, installed with removal and disposal of the original flooring a fair price for a project ~ 750 square feet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DTaeKim posted:

Getting a couple of quotes for insulation.

One company gives me $3800 and the other company estimates $1500. Work looks like it's about the same (R35) but why would the first company charge twice as much?

Ask them. It could just be a huge markup, or, it could be one company employs undocumented migrant labor and uses salvaged construction scraps while the other company does inspected permitted work with well-trained employees paid a living wage.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Ugghhh we are in the process of finding someone to go about tearing up the lovely old laminate and installation carpet from the house and I think have settled on LVT. I don't have the time, energy or patience to do it myself. Is $5 a square foot, installed with removal and disposal of the original flooring a fair price for a project ~ 750 square feet?

Labor costs vary massively from one area to the next, so it can be very hard for people in this thread to say if a price is good or not. Your best bet is to ask people in your immediate area who have had the same work done, or - hey, this is the reason to get multiple bids. And then not just go with the lowest bidder, but actually ask higher bidders why their bid is higher and see if they give you a bullshit response or if they can document better quality.