Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

i fly airplanes posted:

There's more to the equation than just on-board service. [...] baggage allowances, and so forth. For some people, it's also a matter of perceived safety and familiarity with the brand.

Fair enough, although for that specific point a lot of major carriers are now trying to be even worse than LCCs, like loving United: http://uk.businessinsider.com/united-airlines-carry-on-baggage-ban-customer-communication-problem-2016-11?r=US&IR=T

If that cancer spreads to other airlines, I hope whoever started it at United has a nice place saved for them in hell next to Judas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Judas is fine dude like Jesus was going to/needed to die to atone for the sins of mankind anyway. How about another bad person like whoever made homeopathy popular

Bobalbmi
Sep 25, 2000

Today is the day

i fly airplanes posted:

There's more to the equation than just on-board service. There's also reliability (what happens if the flight is canceled?), frequent flyer benefits, baggage allowances, and so forth. For some people, it's also a matter of perceived safety and familiarity with the brand.

I'd fly a legacy for business to get rebooking options should the flight get cancelled, but at this point you can usually just bundle fares with long-haul LCCs that include meals and bags to basically get the same experience as a United - possibly better.

I actually liked Rouge when I flew it though, so maybe I can tolerate anything.

Saladman posted:

Fair enough, although for that specific point a lot of major carriers are now trying to be even worse than LCCs, like loving United: http://uk.businessinsider.com/united-airlines-carry-on-baggage-ban-customer-communication-problem-2016-11?r=US&IR=T

If that cancer spreads to other airlines, I hope whoever started it at United has a nice place saved for them in hell next to Judas.

I think all of the legacy carriers in the US have some kind of "economy basic" now. For Delta it's just on routes where they directly compete with Spirit I believe.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Americans should have to pay for carry-on if they're not going to actually inspect sizes; every time I've taken an economy flight in America pretty much everyone tries to bring on a giant full-size suitcase as carry on, no one stops them, and by the time the plane is half loaded all the overhead bins are stuffed to the brim and the attendants have to gate check everyone's carry on.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

HookShot posted:

Americans should have to pay for carry-on if they're not going to actually inspect sizes; every time I've taken an economy flight in America pretty much everyone tries to bring on a giant full-size suitcase as carry on, no one stops them, and by the time the plane is half loaded all the overhead bins are stuffed to the brim and the attendants have to gate check everyone's carry on.
And if you bring on a reasonable sized carry on, they want to penalize you by encroaching that bag in your legroom, and rewarding all the people who brought the huge 50lb drag-along suitcase by putting it overhead.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

photomikey posted:

And if you bring on a reasonable sized carry on, they want to penalize you by encroaching that bag in your legroom, and rewarding all the people who brought the huge 50lb drag-along suitcase by putting it overhead.

Yes! Exactly! America needs the system Europe has where a dude checks your carry-on luggage before you check in and puts a sticker on it to say it's approved. No sticker, you don't get to bring it on the plane, motherfuckers.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Saladman posted:

That's part of the race to the bottom. On the opposite end are LCCs also slowly becoming like legacy airlines. Ryanair just announced this year that they will start selling connecting flights and connecting to long-haul partners. That's huge. Norwegian, arguably the first successful long-haul LCC, also has a network that has feeding/connecting flights like the legacy airlines.

Major carriers around the world now operate their own LCCs or own big chunks of them. Off the top of my head, Singapore Airlines runs Tiger Air and Scoot, Qantas runs Jetstar, Lufthansa runs Eurowings, British Airways/Iberia runs Vueling, KLM/Air France runs Transavia, Emirates runs flydubai.

Bobalbmi posted:

I'd fly a legacy for business to get rebooking options should the flight get cancelled, but at this point you can usually just bundle fares with long-haul LCCs that include meals and bags to basically get the same experience as a United - possibly better.

I actually liked Rouge when I flew it though, so maybe I can tolerate anything.
If you took an unbundled LCC fare and added bags, food, and seat selection, it is hit or miss on whether it's cheaper or more expensive than the legacy airlines. It's also hard to make an apples-to-apples comparison because the very presence of a LCC means legacy airlines have to lower their fares to match in pricing.

Rouge is also not terrible, the worst part is the legroom and old aircraft interiors. The crew is actually much better than Air Canada mainline: they're younger and not burnt out unionized career flight attendants.

quote:

I think all of the legacy carriers in the US have some kind of "economy basic" now. For Delta it's just on routes where they directly compete with Spirit I believe.

For a big chunk of fliers, there is really no difference between basic economy and normal economy. If you do not care about frequent flyer programs and benefits, don't pay for a seat, and don't check a bag, it's an almost identical experience. The only thing is the carry-on bag policy, to match what Spirit/Allegiant/Frontier does. If you're flying Delta though, carry-on is still free. United and American charge for it, but waive it for their credit card holders.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

marsisol posted:

Looking to fly to Auckland, NZ from Newark for my honeymoon later this year. Dates are a little flexible and would be something like November 15/16 - December 3/4. Seems like the round trip ticket will be around 1500 with a single layover in LAX or SFO. Any tips or suggestions for this route? Do I have a prayer of finding a cheaper fare with one layover? Seems like I should book in the next month or so.

Just booked this for 1300/person. Don't think I could do much better than that. Has anyone ever flown Air New Zealand internationally?

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

HookShot posted:

this exact thing happened to me on a flight from Naples to Dublin :shrug: except they said "no more carry-on at all, from now on it's all going in the hold"

marsisol posted:

Just booked this for 1300/person. Don't think I could do much better than that. Has anyone ever flown Air New Zealand internationally?

I think they're generally well-regarded (award winning?)

I've flown AKL-SFO once, AKL-LAX twice, LAX-AKL twice, AKL-SIN once. No trouble with the airline as far as I recall, and you don't have to stop over in Sydney or some nonsense.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

marsisol posted:

My parents did and a few years later they still rave about the experience any time flying gets brought up, so probably pretty good :v:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

My parents did and a few years later they still rave about the experience any time flying gets brought up, so probably pretty good :v:

Was it solely because of Air New Zealand's themed safety videos before takeoff, or did they like it for some other reason?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

marsisol posted:

Yeah but it was back in the 90s. They were good twenty years ago if that helps.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Air New Zealand is fine.. but honestly, I find them not that great. They are better than US carriers, but at the level of service I'd compare to Air Canada. My last Air NZ flight was in coach to USA from Auckland with a pretty crappy hot meal and an even worse cold meal on arrival. There was also a heavy-attitude purser telling coach passengers about today's on-board hot food selection (2 choices) "so our flight attendants don't need to keep repeating themselves" and needing to "specify whether you want cream or sugar with your coffee if you are ordering coffee".

In-flight entertainment was ok.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Saladman posted:

Was it solely because of Air New Zealand's themed safety videos before takeoff, or did they like it for some other reason?

Apparently the in-flight service was also well above average, and they bent over backwards to accommodate a reasonably difficult itinerary change. May have been significant that they were business class tickets, of course, but I've heard similar things from coach passengers, and god knows flying business on Air Canada still sees you treated like garbage most of the time.

Frankly, telling people about the meal options prior to beginning the meal service sounds awesome because people will have already decided what they want and the F/As don't have to waste time repeating it with everyone. Mind you, in my world, the Soup Nazi is an example of excellent customer service because he clearly cares about everyone's experience, not just the person he's dealing with at any given moment -- that's a huge virtue in my opinion.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The itinerary change can be a big deal. The service on Thai Airways was good enough, but more importantly they went out of their way to help me change a ticket and waive some frees that they did not have to. I probably wouldn't think twice about spending a bit more on if they're in the mix for a flight in the future.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone flown Peach? They're a lowcost airline in/around Japan and I'm just curious if anyone's had any horror stories or experience with them.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
There's a bunch of $400 fares to Europe right now. Wish I had the time to go. :negative:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've never flown economy in Air New Zealand (overseas anyway) but they have always been amazing, and their premec and business service is way better than other major carriers' (SAS and Qantas anyway, JAL was pretty similar). Also they run a way better schedule than the flights that leave from Australia so you don't arrive in LA at 7am after a 15-hour long daytime flight. Fun tip for anyone considering a trip to Australia, going though Air New Zealand is way less hellish schedule-wise on your trip back home.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

Has anyone flown Peach? They're a lowcost airline in/around Japan and I'm just curious if anyone's had any horror stories or experience with them.

I flew Peach round-trip Matsuyama-Osaka-Hong Kong and it was okay, I guess. The fares vary significantly by popular day. The terminal at KIX was way the hell out in busland and our flight times meant we needed to spend one night in Osaka. There weren't enough self check-in machines so I still had to wait in a huge line anyway. The aircraft seats were uncomfortably concave and the constant hum of the engines without a movie to watch was tedious.
Actually it sucked so I'd avoid them unless it's ideal for your route and schedule and/or significantly cheaper (60%) than JAL or ANA.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peanut posted:

I flew Peach round-trip Matsuyama-Osaka-Hong Kong and it was okay, I guess. The fares vary significantly by popular day. The terminal at KIX was way the hell out in busland and our flight times meant we needed to spend one night in Osaka. There weren't enough self check-in machines so I still had to wait in a huge line anyway. The aircraft seats were uncomfortably concave and the constant hum of the engines without a movie to watch was tedious.
Actually it sucked so I'd avoid them unless it's ideal for your route and schedule and/or significantly cheaper (60%) than JAL or ANA.

I'm flying from ICN so its like a 2-3 hour flight maximum, so I think can tough it out. I did plan on spending the night before going back to ICN in Osaka so good to know about KIX airport being wonky.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah if you're not doing a transfer/layover it should be fine. Give yourself extra time to make your return flight because it really takes a while to get to/from the LCC terminal.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah my plan was my last day just go to Osaka and check it out since the plan is to spend most of my time in Kyoto.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Saladman posted:

Man, that was a timely jab at United. Now, on top of making you pay for all baggage, they also punch you in the face and drag your unconscious body out of the plane if they overbook your seat.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Air Asia X has Honolulu to Osaka for $99 one-way, including on their inaugural flight on Jun 28. Quite the steal.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I noticed you can save like 10 grand for a flight for 4 for an international flight if you book a hotel and flight through American. Has anyone done this before? Can you have it open jaw? check out early from the hotel? Thanks.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I noticed you can save like 10 grand for a flight for 4 for an international flight if you book a hotel and flight through American. Has anyone done this before? Can you have it open jaw? check out early from the hotel? Thanks.

These are packages that are usually sold through a third party travel agency. Generally, you should be able to buy those components separately and get somewhere near the same price but without many of the restrictions that the packages can have on them. It's almost always better to buy directly from the carrier or provider than through a travel agent for things like this.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

HookShot posted:

Yes! Exactly! America needs the system Europe has where a dude checks your carry-on luggage before you check in and puts a sticker on it to say it's approved. No sticker, you don't get to bring it on the plane, motherfuckers.

Don't think it's a Europe-wide thing, I've never encountered this "sticker" system, and I have only flown within Europe.
In my experience, it's mostly gauged visually at the gate during boarding, and I've seen some oversized carry on luggage slip through.

Happened during my last fully booked flight that we who had luggage that fit in our leg space had to stash them at our feet to fit the larger bags in the cabin hold.

I didn't mind as I always keep my luggage by my feet, but I understand the grudge.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That's weird, in recent memory I've flown SAS, Air France and EasyJet within Europe, and all of them required a sticker on your carry on or you weren't carrying it on.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Other Americans--- what websites do you guys use to hear about deals for low fares to Europe, Asia. For example someone posted on this page that there were a bunch of 400 fares to Europe right now. When I go to various deal websites I find that to be true, but if I were to just plug in the same locations on Google Flights it would come up with the normal 800-1000 dollar prices.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
https://scottscheapflights.com/

There is a paid version, but I think most of the pricebusting crazy fares to Europe stuff comes through the free version.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

photomikey posted:

https://scottscheapflights.com/

There is a paid version, but I think most of the pricebusting crazy fares to Europe stuff comes through the free version.

photomikey posted:

I do not have the patience to sift through flight deals all the time. I subscribed to the Scott thing after his AMA, and it's the best $39 I spent this year. I just got back from Tokyo yesterday, with a nonstop R/T flight for $600/ea.

I also employ a guy to mow my lawn, which is a scam, because I could just as easily do it myself. In fact, almost everything I pay someone to do, I could do myself.

The Scott thing saved me a couple grand, easy, on this trip to Tokyo. I could subscribe for 20 years and still not be taking a loss. If you are into good flight deals, he is really personal with his service and relentless in looking for flight deals.

wtf??? do you work for this guy??

Megasabin posted:

Other Americans--- what websites do you guys use to hear about deals for low fares to Europe, Asia. For example someone posted on this page that there were a bunch of 400 fares to Europe right now. When I go to various deal websites I find that to be true, but if I were to just plug in the same locations on Google Flights it would come up with the normal 800-1000 dollar prices.

The majority of (good) fare sales filed will end up on theflightdeal.com or secretflying.com. https://twitter.com/tpg_alerts also tweets good ones too.

I also suggest subscribing them on Twitter. You also do not have to follow through to their Priceline/Momondo commissioned referral links, and can also book directly with the airline most of the time. The same deals will usually show up on ITA Matrix and Google Flights if you search correctly.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 17, 2017

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
No, I don't. I also shill for drones that shoot video, the housing market, and double-edged razor blades, but generally not in the "How To: Finding Cheap Airfare" section.

If I worked for him, encouraging people to use the free version instead of the paid would probably be inadvisable.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

HookShot posted:

That's weird, in recent memory I've flown SAS, Air France and EasyJet within Europe, and all of them required a sticker on your carry on or you weren't carrying it on.

Haven't flown with AF or easy jet, but haven't experienced that while flying with SAS (from Stockholm).
I've flown with SAS, TAP, Norwegian and Lufthansa mostly.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Falukorv posted:

Haven't flown with AF or easy jet, but haven't experienced that while flying with SAS (from Stockholm).
I've flown with SAS, TAP, Norwegian and Lufthansa mostly.

I've flown EasyJet dozens of times with a large, limit-sized suitcase and never got a sticker either. I vaguely know what HookShot is talking about and I've seen it a couple times but it's pretty rare except maybe at specific airports. EasyJet also liberalized heir carry-on policy 2-3 years ago and I never even see them check anymore. I've only had to gate check my bag one time ever and I'm usually one of the last to board since I hate waiting in lines since anyway you're all going to leave at the same time. I don't really get why some people are up in arms about people bringing large carry-ons. Don't think I've ever been on a flight where it was a more significant problem than the last 10 people getting their luggage checked at the plane door. I haven't flown much in the U.S. in years though so maybe there's some reason it's way worse there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Saladman posted:

I've flown EasyJet dozens of times with a large, limit-sized suitcase and never got a sticker either. I vaguely know what HookShot is talking about and I've seen it a couple times but it's pretty rare except maybe at specific airports. EasyJet also liberalized heir carry-on policy 2-3 years ago and I never even see them check anymore. I've only had to gate check my bag one time ever and I'm usually one of the last to board since I hate waiting in lines since anyway you're all going to leave at the same time. I don't really get why some people are up in arms about people bringing large carry-ons. Don't think I've ever been on a flight where it was a more significant problem than the last 10 people getting their luggage checked at the plane door. I haven't flown much in the U.S. in years though so maybe there's some reason it's way worse there.

I've never had to gate-check a bag either, but having to put something large under the seat in front of me instead of in the overhead bin means an incredibly uncomfortable flight for me, because I need that legroom. I'd much rather gate-check a bag, or just regular check a bag.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

That's weird, me it was out of Orly a few months back with EasyJet. SAS did it in Stockholm, and Air France in Munich. All these were in the last year.

But yeah, Europeans (and Canadians) in general don't take full-size suitcases on as carry-on. Americans do. I was on a flight from Denver to Seattle, where I was in boarding group 2, so the plane was probably 30% full by the time I got on, and literally all the overhead bin space was taken. I had to put my bag at my feet because I didn't want it checked. The stewardesses were having trouble lifting some of the bags into the overhead bins because they were so heavy. I swear it's only a matter of time before an overhead bin on a flight comes crashing down on some heads in America because they've gone too far over the weight limit.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

HookShot posted:

That's weird, me it was out of Orly a few months back with EasyJet. SAS did it in Stockholm, and Air France in Munich. All these were in the last year.

But yeah, Europeans (and Canadians) in general don't take full-size suitcases on as carry-on. Americans do. I was on a flight from Denver to Seattle, where I was in boarding group 2, so the plane was probably 30% full by the time I got on, and literally all the overhead bin space was taken. I had to put my bag at my feet because I didn't want it checked. The stewardesses were having trouble lifting some of the bags into the overhead bins because they were so heavy. I swear it's only a matter of time before an overhead bin on a flight comes crashing down on some heads in America because they've gone too far over the weight limit.

The weight can get ridiculous, but isn't a carry-on more or less defined by its ability to fit in an overhead bin? If it's closing, those are carry-ons.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The weight can get ridiculous, but isn't a carry-on more or less defined by its ability to fit in an overhead bin? If it's closing, those are carry-ons.

No, that's nonsense. I have a hockey-bag-style suitcase that I could easily cram into an overhead bin lengthwise, but it would take up two to three times as much space as three of the nominal maximum-sized bags.

Overhead bins are meant to provide room for outerwear, too. In the winter, there's no way you can wear something that's both comfortable while you're on the airplane and also appropriate for being outside.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm looking forward to putting passengers and luggage together on a huge scale to calculate individual fuel surcharge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Overhead bins, IMHO, are meant to hold a few choice essentials that you can't live without for an hour or two while you fly. Laptop, medication, newspaper, overcoat, etc.

I see people roll TWO overstuffed drag-along bags into the overhead bin. And not the "I have to get to a meeting the moment I land" people, either. 80 year old Grandmas. Families with kids. WTF? Do these people know you can literally hand your luggage to a man at the curb and get it back almost at the curb of the airport you're traveling to? It's effortless. I know some (many) airlines charge for it, but I fly Southwest and they're the WORST with people bringing on 50lb carryons they can't lift above their heads, and checked baggage is free.

Seriously. WTF.