Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

a guy who is probably a consensus top 3 active racecar driver if you polled the drivers themselves, is gonna chase another series big event for fun and glory... and she complaining that it's not marketable enough and her child hasn't heard of him

like for gently caress sake who gives a poo poo how many hamburgers the guy might sell, it's loving cool as hell regardless of the driver or event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Fernando Alonso got the shot instead of one of her close, personal friends.

She's a walking ethics violation, but it's racing so who cares?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Muddy Burphy posted:

Fernando Alonso got the shot instead of one of her close, personal friends.

She's a walking ethics violation, but it's racing so who cares?

Racinggate: It's about ethics in motorsport journalism.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
#alternativefacts

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Wow that was an extraordinarily bad article.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Feels good when all the racing threads come together to collectively call something poo poo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Feels good when all the racing threads come together to collectively call something poo poo

It does.

Also, speaking of the major three threads, I do have something planned for the Monaco/Indy/Coke600 day as well.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

iospace posted:

It does.

Also, speaking of the major three threads, I do have something planned for the Monaco/Indy/Coke600 day as well.

I like the sound of that :unsmigghh:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

iospace posted:

It does.

All hail iospace, best mod. :getin:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Merge all the threads into one please

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Merge all the threads into one please

"And that's how SA finally died."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

wicka posted:

"And that's how SA finally died."

Insha'Alonso

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

LASTCAR posted:

NASCAR's YouTube channel has uploaded the 1991 and 1992 spring Bristol races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnH4ByFlSiA

Hell. Yes.

Wild to see a non-coliseum'd Bristol

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

mactheknife posted:

Wild to see a non-coliseum'd Bristol

Hell I have 3 hours to burn. Gunna watch this.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I've made it through the first 100 laps or so of 91, all seven cautions of it. Including an umbrella caution!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

mactheknife posted:

I've made it through the first 100 laps or so of 91, all seven cautions of it. Including an umbrella caution!

It's good to know that ridiculous cautions have always been a mainstay of auto racing

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Cygni posted:

a guy who is probably a consensus top 3 active racecar driver if you polled the drivers themselves, is gonna chase another series big event for fun and glory... and she complaining that it's not marketable enough and her child hasn't heard of him

like for gently caress sake who gives a poo poo how many hamburgers the guy might sell, it's loving cool as hell regardless of the driver or event

When I heard about this during the F1 race coverage last weekend my first thought was, does he instantly become the best driver in the field even if he hasn't actually raced an Indy car? I stopped following Indy a few years ago so I don't have a good idea of who would compare to Alonso but from what I can tell the way things go is you get drummed out of F1 because of a lack of competitiveness and end up in Indy/sportscars/NASCAR/etc. It will be interesting to see how he does on an oval.

That article was loving dumb. It just sounded like, eh I looked up Alonso on Wikipedia, and the results for this year's F1 races and I now know everything about Alonso, F1, Indy, Honda and McLaren.

Alonso really has done an amazing job with that car this year. He was good last year too but clearly the reliability this year is poo poo. He's at least been fighting for points when the car is actually running and on track. To me it is kind of similar to when Kurt Busch was driving for Finch in the #51 and every once in a while that car would be hovering around the top 15, top 10 and that would basically be like winning for that team who normally would be lucky to sniff the top 25. It just proves that a good driver can actually make a difference and similarly to when Kurt attempted the double it will be interesting to see a good driver get in an Indy car and see what he can do.

E: Is there any way somebody could try to get Alonso to do the double? Just like throw David Ragan out of the #38 or something at let Alonso have at it? Can't finish any worse.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 19, 2017

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Landon Cassill's Twitter is really really good. I want to say it's better than Jr's.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

keevo posted:

Landon Cassill's Twitter is really really good. I want to say it's better than Jr's.

Championship caliber test driver and tweeter.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bigbillystyle posted:

E: Is there any way somebody could try to get Alonso to do the double? Just like throw David Ragan out of the #38 or something at let Alonso have at it? Can't finish any worse.

Lewis Hamilton wants to maybe try the Daytona 500 someday and I can't wait until he can't do it in a decent car because NASCAR has the dumbassed team cap and HMS, SHR, and JGR are all at four cars (unless NASCAR would allow something like HMS putting him in the 25 as a rookie or something). Penske might be his only decent shot otherwise.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

Lewis Hamilton wants to maybe try the Daytona 500 someday and I can't wait until he can't do it in a decent car because NASCAR has the dumbassed team cap and HMS, SHR, and JGR are all at four cars (unless NASCAR would allow something like HMS putting him in the 25 as a rookie or something). Penske might be his only decent shot otherwise.

Put him in Truck at Eldora.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

CBJSprague24 posted:

I really believe he was just saying that because Alonso's doing Indy. I know he likes the cars but I can't actually see him doing Daytona.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

CBJSprague24 posted:

Only way the 4 car teams can do it is take over a team for the 500 and use it as a faux 5th team. It's like the Joe Falk team that was being used by RCR for Ty Dillon to run races. Otherwise Lewis would have problems finding a competitive ride, if he ever decides to try the 500.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
LOL if you think SHR is going to have 4 drivers next year.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

A Twitter post about swapping the locations of sponsor logos and car numbers took me to Reddit for like the second time in my life and somebody from JTG said this:

quote:

Room for more sponsor logos? Yes please!

We did some concepts like this a couple years ago, big single sponsor logo only, it actually looks pretty good with a logo versus text, the sponsor really liked it too. They were even okay with tilting the logo as well, which is an uphill battle.

Maybe one day, but not today.

Here's what he's talking about.

https://twitter.com/MattWeaverAW/status/855236647520264192

It looks awful, yet NASCAR will probably encourage it in the future because IT'LL MAKE THINGS AWESOME.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

CBJSprague24 posted:

forgive me if I shed no tears that a guy from a series with A cars and B cars and team orders doesn't have the stars align for him in NASCAR

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

CBJSprague24 posted:

A Twitter post about swapping the locations of sponsor logos and car numbers took me to Reddit for like the second time in my life and somebody from JTG said this:

It looks awful, yet NASCAR will probably encourage it in the future because IT'LL MAKE THINGS AWESOME.

When I was watching a thing about Suarez at the beginning of the season I noticed the NASCAR Mexico cars were set up in a similar way. It's not my preferred look but it wouldn't bother me too much I don't think.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

they divided the race into segments, made that lovely charter system, and gave a championship to a dude that missed half the season. where they put the numbers on the cars is sorta the least of my concerns when it comes to tradition, honestly.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

It doesn't look great, but now sponsors will be happy with the number thrown to the fender and have more accessible space for sponsors. Probably someone could get a good scheme put together probably.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

When the sport is starved for sponsors like it is I have no problem offering up that space, really. It looks goofy but ultimately doesn't really matter, and I'm sure artists can make it work. I'd enjoy the design challenge, personally.

This won't stop people from complaining about change, of course.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This is Harrison Burton's K&N car, which was the first one like it that I saw around. They made it work pretty well I think.

edit: a Ryan Truex K&N, as well:

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 21, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

forgive me if I shed no tears that a guy from a series with A cars and B cars and team orders doesn't have the stars align for him in NASCAR

My point was I'd figure it'd be likely he'd be looking for a competitive car to run the race if he did it and most of those belong to teams which are maxxed out unless somebody does what RCR did with Falk last year, which I'd forgotten about until BMB mentioned it.

kidcoelacanth posted:

When the sport is starved for sponsors like it is I have no problem offering up that space, really. It looks goofy but ultimately doesn't really matter, and I'm sure artists can make it work. I'd enjoy the design challenge, personally.

This won't stop people from complaining about change, of course.

The business argument as to why makes total sense. I guess it's something I/we'd eventually get used to, but the number on the door just looks "right".

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

The business argument as to why makes total sense. I guess it's something I/we'd eventually get used to, but the number on the door just looks "right".

I think that's just what we're used to and it's dead center so it catches our attention. As what kidc posted, yeah those are some good designs having that space more open to play with.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
You might as well just put the number on the window to give even more room for sponsors like the Aussies and BTCC do.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm at Bristol for the first time and it's instantly my favorite track, why aren't they all this cool dammit

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm at Bristol for the first time and it's instantly my favorite track, why aren't they all this cool dammit

Because 1.5 mile ovals with doglegs provide best spectator experience hth.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Because 1.5 mile ovals with doglegs provide best spectator experience hth.

Burton Smith parachute account spotted.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Burton Smith parachute account spotted.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I know he owns Bristol too but isn't he part of the reason for 1.5 mile tri-ovals.

Didn't he ruin Bristol then say oh I didn't know what the contractors were doing? And then spend more money to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If good tracks were a thing why is Rockingham without a cup date.

• Locked thread