Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Electromax posted:

Scott Pilgrim's skateboarding movie guy probably.

Captain America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The villain in Ghost World pretty thoroughly destroys Steve Buscemi's life, only after giving him hope for and a taste of a better one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Samuel L. Jackson in Kingsman is legitimately one of his best performances in recent memory. It's one of the few times he actually comes to inhabit a role instead of the role just becoming Samuel L. Jackson.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

My biggest problem with Dope after I first watched it is that I couldn't sympathize or empathize at all with the main character. And I'm a black nerd.

This too.

Never seen the movie, but this review very much agrees with you: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/02/04/sundance-review-dope

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
No one's mentioned her, but I think Rebecca Romjin does a fine job as Mystique. All the things they tried to make Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique through force, Romjin embodies very naturally. I buy her one hundred percent as a mutant Che Guevera, as a spy, as Magneto's moll, as a physical threat, even during that one scene with Nightcrawler where she explains that she stays blue because mutants shouldn't have to hide. I suppose by quantitative measures, Lawrence is a better actor than Romjin, but comparing their Mystique portrayals, Romjin is the only one trying.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

OH LOOK AT ME I'M TAYE DIGGS AND I DON'T HAVE EMOTIONS BUT I CAN'T STOP loving SMILING IN EVERY GODDAMNED SCENE OF THE MOVIE.

Equilibrium is a lovely film.

Holy gently caress hello 2004.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

parallelodad posted:

The villain in Ghost World pretty thoroughly destroys Steve Buscemi's life, only after giving him hope for and a taste of a better one.

The real villains of Ghost World were Blueshammer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shageletic posted:

Holy gently caress hello 2004.

I'm not the one who brought it up! But SA in general had a massive hardon for that loving film back then.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I would smile all the time too if I were noted celebrity goon Taye Diggs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ojjeorago posted:

I would smile all the time too if I were noted celebrity goon Taye Diggs.

That thread was pretty fantastic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Does anyone have a link to it? I could always go for some Taye Diggs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Does anyone have a link to it? I could always go for some Taye Diggs.

I'm assuming it's in the archives somewhere.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
James Gunn is directing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol: 3 and will serve in a "Russo-like" partnership with Kevin Feige to help guide the next 10 years of the MCU.

I know Marvel likes to get people into long contracts, but this might be a new extreme. I wonder if his children are contractually obligated to fulfill his term if he dies before his service is up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

James Gunn is directing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol: 3 and will serve in a "Russo-like" partnership with Kevin Feige to help guide the next 10 years of the MCU.

I know Marvel likes to get people into long contracts, but this might be a new extreme. I wonder if his children are contractually obligated to fulfill his term if he dies before his service is up.

No the contract says "kin", not children.

If James dies, Kevin Feige's going to get this at his office the next day:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

People like working for Marvel now that Feige is the man. And I'm sure Gunn is gonna net a nice flow of cash from this agreement.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Gunn, Russos, and Feige all working together toward future plans.

Howard the Duck movie. Make it happen, guys.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Lobok posted:

Kirk IS a well respected filmmaker.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I assume Kirk's mom is a package deal.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

First Guardians of the Galaxy 2 reviews are coming out and they're mostly positive.

Which is great because you can see the CineD thread meltdown over it, despite nobody there having seen the movie yet. You even get the conspiracy theorists!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Full review embargo for Guardians is lifted next Tuesday.

The initial reviews from critics who got the to see the pre-screenings is basically:

"Very good, but pretty much the same formula as the first movie with new characters."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 18, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

"Very good, but pretty much the same formula as the first movie with new characters."

Is this a bad thing? Because this is exactly what I want out of the movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know a lot of people are really vocal about disliking formula, but I'm okay with it. If the movie is very good, that's enough for me.

Shageletic posted:

Never seen the movie, but this review very much agrees with you: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/02/04/sundance-review-dope

This review covers almost every gripe I have with the movie. Thank you for this.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is this a bad thing? Because this is exactly what I want out of the movie.

It is for me. I found the first movie middling at best.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Codependent Poster posted:

Which is great because you can see the CineD thread meltdown over it, despite nobody there having seen the movie yet. You even get the conspiracy theorists!

Who is Disney bribing this time?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

First Guardians of the Galaxy 2 reviews are coming out and they're mostly positive.

The article I read said that "all but one" of the reactions was overwhelmingly positive.

My first thought was, "Oh, they let Armond White watch a preview screening?"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
5 post-credit scenes :getin:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The movie's A plot is resolved in 5 minutes. The title credits are actually the ending credits too. Then there's 90 minutes of post credit content.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

redbackground posted:

5 post-credit scenes :getin:

Gunn says that 4 of them are just short mid-credit scenes like Baby Groot from the first Guardians and one is a stinger for something else.

Still pretty funny.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Full review embargo for Guardians is lifted next Tuesday.

The initial reviews from critics who got the to see the pre-screenings is basically:

Not what I'm seeing here.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The reviews seem to be saying that Guardians follows an "Empire Strikes Back" scenario to deal with the larger cast. They split the main characters up and follow a similar plot beat to the first (save Galaxy, integrate new members into "the family," and probe Peter's family history), but in multiple groups.

You could argue whether that is really "pretty much the same format" or not. But the full reviews will be out soon and they will elaborate.

Either way, they all pretty much say it is very funny, has an amazing use of its soundtrack, and well done action scenes, so I'm looking forward to it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 18, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The reviews seem to be saying that Guardians follows an "Empire Strikes Back" scenario to deal with the larger cast. They split the main characters up and follow a similar plot beat to the first (save Galaxy, integrate new members into "the family"), but in multiple groups.

You could argue whether that is really "pretty much the same format" or not. But the full reviews will be out soon and they will elaborate.

Either way, they all pretty much say it is very funny, has an amazing use of its soundtrack, and well done action scenes, so I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah, fair enough. Also looking forward to it. And Disney must be thrilled, they basically just handed the keys to the MCU to Gunn.

I guess it must be frustrating if you hate comic book movies to see Marvel put out smash hit after smash hit and know that it's never going to stop but as a fan of the MCU I like it a lot.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 18, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'm not the one who brought it up! But SA in general had a massive hardon for that loving film back then.

Yeah man it just took me back. Next you know someone is going to bring up Seanbaby.

e: Is Tucker Max still alive. Anhd that dude with the pirate logo and opinions about girl farts.

e:

SonicRulez posted:

I know a lot of people are really vocal about disliking formula, but I'm okay with it. If the movie is very good, that's enough for me.

This review covers almost every gripe I have with the movie. Thank you for this.

Yeah, Faraci was a reviewer I always looked to for new movies, as his opinions largely lined with mine. Too bad he turned out to be a sexual assault creep.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 18, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

Yeah, fair enough. Also looking forward to it. And Disney must be thrilled, they basically just handed the keys to the MCU to Gunn.

I guess it must be frustrating if you hate comic book movies to see Marvel put out smash hit after smash hit and know that it's never going to stop but as a fan of the MCU I like it a lot.
I'm happy that Gunn and the Russos are heavily involved since they seem to have produced the best MCU stuff so far.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Shageletic posted:

Yeah man it just took me back. Next you know someone is going to bring up Seanbaby.

e: Is Tucker Max still alive. Anhd that dude with the pirate logo and opinions about girl farts.

Maddox is a YouTube guy now and he looks exactly like you'd expect someone with his opinions and manner of expressing said opinions to look.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol its already happening

Zzulu posted:

These are way too positive

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Gunn's part of the team. The Russos are also involved in the long term planning.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What would be amazing is some announcement new Marvel "Zack Snyder set to direct Moon Knight" or something and watch nerds heads explode.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Don't think I'm going to a preview screening for Guardians 2. Was kind of hoping to be the guy who goes "No, this isn't the movie that ruins Marvel." again, like I did for the first one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Gunn's part of the team. The Russos are also involved in the long term planning.

Love big time teamups.

You even get the conspiracy theorists!

Lol you weren't kidding.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Can someone give me a source where it says James Gunn signed a contract to oversee 10 years of Marvel films alongside Feige? Because I can't find that anywhere. The only thing I can find close to that is his own Facebook post where he said Guardians 3 will close one chapter of the MCU and he will work with Feige to make sure it helps to launch the next 10 years of MCU cosmic films. Which isn't really the same thing as James Gunn being contracted to overseeing the MCU for 10 years.

• Locked thread