Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fridge corn posted:

This sounds delusional

Yet in FFXV's case, that seems to be the general response. Most everyone I've known who has played the game got into its characters at some point.

I'd say that this game is saved by a really talented animation team. The story's message is conveyed most strongly through incidental animations throughout the game, rather than through any one scene.

It's kind of a shameful mess to look at with the series as a whole, but the fact that people seem to like it despite suggests that it's a mess that still managed to hit a mark. I think the company has had to rebirth itself from some absolutely toxic leadership of this past decade, and the growing pains have been gruesome. However, with Stormblood upcoming, Nier:Automata winning tons of awards, and XV managing to stick a landing despite being a triple-amputee, shows that they're bouncing back from a bad spot.

I dunno if I'll ever replay FFXV, maybe once they've added *all* the DLC and content poo poo they intend to, but I'm glad I did play it, even if the bonus dungeon at the end is a goddamn

holy poo poo loving garbage rear end

10 loving hours 10 loving hour long dungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My biggest problem was that there was no buildup around character deaths or any explanation why we should actually care.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mine was how :aaaaa: I was for the last chapter, expecting at least a tiny bit of time in the WoR as opposed to "auto-drive to Hammerhead and then to Insomnia"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

The CR of the Grand Mantises south of the starting city is high enough to get any spell to 16 :eng101:

You don't even need to get it to 16. Because of the way magic defense works, level 9 with 70+ intelligence is enough to make it a guaranteed hit against anything that doesn't resist matter magic, and even that's overkill.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just sounds like denial to me, to say this game has a lot of problems and some are downright critical but I still like it I swear!! when it comes to a AAA game. Buggy quirkiness and questionable design decisions can be endearing in a charming little indie title but ffxv is none of those things

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I might have asked before, but is FFXV really all that good?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I might have answered before but *jumps a dozen times instead of interacting with the post button*

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fridge corn posted:

Just sounds like denial to me, to say this game has a lot of problems and some are downright critical but I still like it I swear!! when it comes to a AAA game. Buggy quirkiness and questionable design decisions can be endearing in a charming little indie title but ffxv is none of those things

I fail to see how the distinction in studio size impacts one's emotional enjoyment of a game.

If you want a really boring answer, it's because the combat works really well and traveling around via car and chocobo is fun and the environments are pretty and you do that for 80 percent of the game, which allows you to immerse yourself in with the main cast due to the strong animation work done on things like camp screens, which you *have* to see because you'll have to use the camp system to level up, so systems feed into each other. There's a number of very cool dungeons and some really rear end in a top hat ones also but those are after the end. The soundtrack is nice.

I mean, aren't you just basically asking "why doesn't anybody ELSE hate this game like I do? You all must be wrong!"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I attempted FF2 through an NES ROM several times but couldn't get through it. When I played it on GBA I was able to. They fixed a decent amount of math and problems (oh you haven't used a spell in awhile? Lose some INT points then!). I think they also fixed the weapon exploit though, which meant you could level weapon proficiency super quickly.

For all its flaws, it was ambitious in story telling and gameplay. I think of all the remakes, the Soul of Rebirth extra quest / dungeon using the characters that died remains my favorite addition to a remake.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The GIG posted:

It is possible to like things and still acknowledge it's flaws. In fact it's an extremely good idea to be critical of things you enjoy.

Don't listen to fridge corn since he's a bad poster and seems to hate games in general. FFXV was good and the ending is fantastic

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

fridge corn posted:

what

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

fridge corn posted:

"buggy and quirky with questionable design" describes nearly every ff

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He got mad when people called out his bullshit and doubled down being a goon

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I fail to see how the distinction in studio size impacts one's emotional enjoyment of a game.

If you want a really boring answer, it's because the combat works really well and traveling around via car and chocobo is fun and the environments are pretty and you do that for 80 percent of the game, which allows you to immerse yourself in with the main cast due to the strong animation work done on things like camp screens, which you *have* to see because you'll have to use the camp system to level up, so systems feed into each other. There's a number of very cool dungeons and some really rear end in a top hat ones also but those are after the end. The soundtrack is nice.

I mean, aren't you just basically asking "why doesn't anybody ELSE hate this game like I do? You all must be wrong!"

No, im asking why no one who thinks this game is any good can come up with a compelling argument about why it's good. Even the things you've mentioned as good are in fact bad. The combat is wonky as hell, traveling by car is insanely tedious and boring as is the chocobos. However good the character animation is doesn't excuse the fact that the characters are paper thin and terribly written

"soundtrack is nice" sounds like a concession; deep down you know I'm right

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Tae posted:

What bullshit is this?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

Pretty much, he embarrassed himself when he had a big freakout about Cindy's design and instead of backing off on it decided to make himself the Official FFXV Hater Guy, because that was the more mature and sensible option.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The camping is cool and good. I'm way more ambivalent about, like, everything else in FFXV. But the camping is good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Even the things you've mentioned as good are in fact bad.

like, that's just your opinion, maaaaaan

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
drat, the ironclad "I'm right and you're wrong". Pack it in folks corn has our number

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

guys you might think A Thing is good but I'm here to tell you it is, in fact, bad

that's my hot take hope you enjoyed it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad I will finally be able to convince everyone that Dirge of Cerberus is the best game with this infallible argument

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I played through Ar Tonelico 2 and enjoyed it, despite the questionable quality of the game. Enjoyment is subjective and it's possible (and okay) to have fun with a bad game. FFXV has a lot of good about it, but the bad unfortunately outweighs a lot of it for me personally. But hey, I'm also a FF13 apologist.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

fridge corn posted:

No, im asking why no one who thinks this game is any good can come up with a compelling argument about why it's good. Even the things you've mentioned as good are in fact bad. The combat is wonky as hell, traveling by car is insanely tedious and boring as is the chocobos. However good the character animation is doesn't excuse the fact that the characters are paper thin and terribly written

Hahaha, wow there are a lot of different posts about why people like this game, you just disagree with everything because you don't like the game and refuse to be convinced that anyone could possibly enjoy it.

Here, I'll even post about why I like it so you don't have to scroll anywhere:

The combat is cool and fun, kinda wonky but still really fun and stylish with all the teleporting, especially once you get some upgrades like the one that makes dodging cost nothing if you do it perfectly. Do I wish the combat was better? Sure, it can kinda get clusterfuck-y when there are shitloads of enemies, but Wait Mode helps with that a lot.

The characters, especially the bros, are really fun and the voice acting was well-done I thought. Prompto best boy. Wish Aranea stuck around more, Dragoons are always cool.

The soundtrack IS really really nice, which I guess isn't surprising because it's a FF game, but still worth mentioning.

I thought the plot was pretty cool, and the ending was awesome. Obviously the end of the open world bit to the end of the game could have been fleshed out more, but you got all the important bits in, and I'm kinda looking forward to replaying the game once all the DLC and stuff is out.

tl;dr the game could definitely be better, sure, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I had fun playing it, and like the game a lot, it's probably one of my favorite FF games with VII and V. There's not an objective way to say any game is good/bad, and I'm sorry you lack the ability to understand that. It's fine if you don't like the game, but telling people they're wrong to like it is childish as gently caress.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fridge corn posted:

No, im asking why no one who thinks this game is any good can come up with a compelling argument about why it's good. Even the things you've mentioned as good are in fact bad.

Your bad is my good.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fridge corn posted:

is this some kind of fetish thing, where you need your video game opinions validated?

The game kind of goes downhill on the train ride but I liked the gross Marlboro dungeon and wish I could have explored it with a not gimp team

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I know this is hardly a qualifying answer, but since it is so difficult to explain why I enjoy FFXV despite it's many flaws, I can only say that I put 60 hours into it, I was loving dumbfounded to discover that since it seemed to go by so fast, and the last time I spent that much time in an RPG while still having a good time was, gently caress, I don't know. Planescape: Torment, maybe. Anyway, it's rare.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Stop having fun with games that I don't like!

:goonsay:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

In a world where FFXV is the only video game ever I could see it being cool and good, but there are other games out there that do things similar to FFXV but do them so unbelievably better and by devs that I previously hadn't even heard of that I can't see FFXV as anything but an abject failure, especially considering the resources square Enix has at its disposal for its flagship series.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I like Final Fantasy XV, and I enjoy hanging out with the guys and fighting monsters.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

fridge corn posted:

No, im asking why no one who thinks this game is any good can come up with a compelling argument about why it's good. Even the things you've mentioned as good are in fact bad.

Just because you don't like a thing, doesn't mean other people can't like a thing. It's nice to get people to try and explain why they like/dislike things, but if they don't fit within your own standards then maybe don't make a big stink about it. It just sounds like you're denying other people's opinions.

Vargatron posted:

Stop having fun with games that I don't like!

:goonsay:

I mean, real talk, I don't get why people enjoy FF8 or 12 (pre Zodiac that is, I'll give it another shot on the new release), but I don't hold it against anyone who enjoy the different style of gameplay they offer. I think some of the reasons people like those games holds up well, even if it's not my cup of tea.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

To be fair I really enjoyed FF15 up until the last couple of chapters. My main gripes are with the story presentation, but mechanically the game has a lot going for it.

*going headlong into a derail comparing the game with Witcher 3*

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
FFXV was a cool first-run at an idea that took them 30 first-runs to get to.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

In a world where FFXV is the only video game ever I could see it being cool and good, but there are other games out there that do things similar to FFXV but do them so unbelievably better and by devs that I previously hadn't even heard of that I can't see FFXV as anything but an abject failure, especially considering the resources square Enix has at its disposal for its flagship series.

This but replace FFXV with your posts

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Harrow posted:

Honestly, I think I'd rather just have redone jobs than subjobs, but both would be pretty sweet, too. Jobs like Time Mage (I guess it's "Time Battlemage" now?) and Machinist could be pretty great on their own with just a couple of tweaks.

As it stands, I can't imagine they're going to give you two full license boards. Maybe sub-job license boards will only have weapon, technick, magick, and a few stat licenses, but no armor licenses and definitely not the full compliment of stat licenses (or you'd be maxing out much more quickly). Having to work with the armor type if your main job would be a good idea, I think, because it would add an automatic downside to some combinations (like Knight isn't going to have a good Magick stat without mystic armor so you're not going to be able to make a Knight/White Mage that invalidates the whole White Mage job), but also open up some pretty interesting potential synergies (Samurai/Black Mage).

I dunno, it's coming out relatively soon so I really hope we see more details soon.

man i love job system poo poo like this, i just wish ff12 had good gameplay to go with it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now that I think about it, Samurai/Black Mage probably isn't the best way to take advantage of Samurai's mystic armor with spellcasting. Black Mage needs to use elemental-boosting staves to really shine and that means you're not doing any Samurai things at all. Now, Samurai/White Mage would be pretty great--an extremely capable healer and buffer who can also deliver great melee combo damage. Or maybe a Samurai/Time Mage: Time Mage doesn't get good Magick on its own because the job uses heavy armor, so its smattering of Cure spells aren't very good, but with a Samurai's high Magick stat and mystic armor, that Time Mage Cura license might actually get some use. Of course, the best Time Magick doesn't really rely on your Magick stat (Hastega, basically) so you might as well slap it on a Knight or Shikari and give your non-magical melee DPS some good buffs.

I think Samurai is probably the job where the most interesting combinations might happen unless the sub-job system is really different from what I'd expect. On the other hand, Red Mage is probably going to get the shaft. There's just not much of a reason to use one if you could just have a Black Mage/White Mage. The only thing that combo can't do that a Red Mage can is use the Dark spells, but those aren't any more useful than elemental spells and even if you're fighting Yiazmat, Darkga is far from the best way to deal dark-elemental damage to him. I guess if you only want to use three of your six characters, a Red Mage/Time Mage would make a pretty good versatile attacker/healer/buffer, but, eh.

Some job combinations I think I'll use (again, assuming things work as I figure they will):
  • Shikari/Time Battlemage (good tank for a lot of the game, amazing melee DPS in the endgame, and useful buffs)
  • Samurai/White Mage (what else is Samurai going to use all that MP for?)
  • Anything (maybe even Black Mage?)/Foebreaker (I don't like random damage weapons, but I do like easy access to all four breaks on one character, and breaks aren't reliant on the user's stats so any job can use them just fine)
I wonder what would be good to pair with jobs like Archer, Monk, Uhlan, or Knight, because those are all jobs I enjoy, too.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

For Yiazmat IIRC even your regular attacks should be doing close to 9999 each so even if Darkga was efficient at doing dark damage, it wouldn't really matter.

Then again, I beat Yiazmat over a decade ago and I didn't cheese it or anything, took me like 2-3 hours IIRC so who knows how it's done nowadays, it probably takes like 5 minutes somehow

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Kelp Me! posted:

For Yiazmat IIRC even your regular attacks should be doing close to 9999 each so even if Darkga was efficient at doing dark damage, it wouldn't really matter.

Then again, I beat Yiazmat over a decade ago and I didn't cheese it or anything, took me like 2-3 hours IIRC so who knows how it's done nowadays, it probably takes like 5 minutes somehow

The Zodiac Age, like IZJS before it, removes the 9999 damage cap.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

By the way, am I the only one who was a sour-grapes Nintendo fanboy when the Playstation came out? Just endless amounts of "psh I bet it's not even that good" about FF7

until it came out on PC :haw:

actually I definitely remember "I bet a 3D FF will be terrible like those Resident Evil previews I saw" being a sour grapes gripe, which looking back is about as ridiculous as "I bet an action-oriented FF will be terrible"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Really, even without that the only reason it took an age in vanilla is because of the dumb way mechanics worked in that fight. Once Yiazzy decided that he would only take 60% damage, that was applied AFTER the damage cap rather than during actual calculation. So it calculated the value, capped it at 9999 and then reduced it further. Just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CeallaSo posted:

The Zodiac Age, like IZJS before it, removes the 9999 damage cap.

Is it built-in, or ability/LB based? I remember at least Zodiark's ultimate being a flat 5-figure number (30k or 50k I think?), but I can't remember if Quickenings could as well, at least in the original NA release.