Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

I also think the Caps will come back. They've lost two close games and they have another level they can play at. Not sure about San Jose though, I though they'd handle Edmonton's five good players pretty well but they look old and busted.

Yeah, San Jose looks beaten here already and I don't know why. The only consolation I have is that the Ducks have been on fire for the last two months and play the type of game that seems to neutralize players like McDavid.

I still say the Caps win this series, but man the Leafs have shown themselves to be formidable opponents so far. There hasn't really been a single stretch where they've looked like the team 25 points lower in the standings. They're going to be a good team next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Seems like Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson /PK-Ekholm just crushed Hossa - Toews - Schmaltz / Keith -Toftbo and most everybody else at least held their own, except Harry Z, who was terrible.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
So, Nashville fans, were there hints that maybe Trotz wasn't a good coach when he was with the Predators? He's getting clearly out-coached by Babock, which to be fair, would happen to most coaches, but not to this degree. He only iced Ovechkin for 15 minutes in what was the most important game of the season, and it's not like Ovechkin was playing poorly, he was maybe Washington's best forward last night. Until forced by injury to play him he sat his 5th best defensman (and one whose speed most ably matches up to Toronto) in favor of broken rear end Alzner, and old pylon Orpik. He's let Babcock dictate the line matchups, even on home ice. Seemingly the only adjustments he's made were to turtle with the lead last night, which as we can all see, didn't work so well.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Thufir posted:

Seems like Forsberg - Johansen - Arvidsson /PK-Ekholm just crushed Hossa - Toews - Schmaltz / Keith -Toftbo and most everybody else at least held their own, except Harry Z, who was terrible.

Harry Z seems like he's got some good north/south speed, which is why I would imagine they're keeping him in (and that goal) -- but I wonder if Parenteau gets a look soon. He's not hurt is he?

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, San Jose looks beaten here already and I don't know why. The only consolation I have is that the Ducks have been on fire for the last two months and play the type of game that seems to neutralize players like McDavid.

I still say the Caps win this series, but man the Leafs have shown themselves to be formidable opponents so far. There hasn't really been a single stretch where they've looked like the team 25 points lower in the standings. They're going to be a good team next year.

Yeah they look fantastic. They need to find a better solution in net than Andersen (Bishop maybe?), but they're going to be a force. I think as Buffalo gets it together that will be a fun rivalry again. Some dude on my beer league team wanted to bet me $100 that Detroit (we have a bunch of guys from Michigan and I've been giving them a little poo poo about the Red Wings) would make the playoffs next year and I just felt really bad for him.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 18, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

ThinkTank posted:

I haven't taken a look at the numbers, but I see Dellow and some others on twitter are pointing at Marleau.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Gunjin posted:

So, Nashville fans, were there hints that maybe Trotz wasn't a good coach when he was with the Predators? He's getting clearly out-coached by Babock, which to be fair, would happen to most coaches, but not to this degree. He only iced Ovechkin for 15 minutes in what was the most important game of the season, and it's not like Ovechkin was playing poorly, he was maybe Washington's best forward last night. Until forced by injury to play him he sat his 5th best defensman (and one whose speed most ably matches up to Toronto) in favor of broken rear end Alzner, and old pylon Orpik. He's let Babcock dictate the line matchups, even on home ice. Seemingly the only adjustments he's made were to turtle with the lead last night, which as we can all see, didn't work so well.

Kuzy looked better, but yeah, ovi was hitting everything and getting shots; not giving him more time was a... really weird decision.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Have the Leafs been this entertaining to watch all season?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

T-Bone posted:

Harry Z seems like he's got some good north/south speed, which is why I would imagine they're keeping him in (and that goal) -- but I wonder if Parenteau gets a look soon. He's not hurt is he?

Yeah but that seems like his main attribute. I think Parenteau was a little banged up towards the end of the season but could probably go, though I think if Wilson got healthy he would be the preferred swap. I don't think McLeod or Salomaki get in this series unless things take a turn for the worse.

Gunjin posted:

Trotz has beaten Babcock in a playoff series before and won 156 regular season games in the last 3 seasons. He might not be making all the right moves but it's not incompetence.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Torts is so quotable

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Wild are gonna come out batshit crazy tonight and probably put up 3 on the Blues in the first but it'll still go to OT.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Blues better put the Wild to bed tonight or there's going to be trouble.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

shyduck posted:

Yes

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

shyduck posted:

More entertaining.
Mitch Marner hasn't been a big factor so far in the series, and he pulls the most ridiculous poo poo when he's on.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kilza posted:

Flames are one game away from being eliminated despite the refs best efforts to give them tonight's game. :toot:

Also the fact the Flames fans are whining about the refs when the only reason the Ducks didn't beat the Flames in regulation was because of the refs is amazing.

Late edit: Also the Ducks 3rd goal was fine. Thompson's stick looked to be at the crossbar level for me, which by the rulebook itself means it's good.

The Ducks kept getting penalized last night because Korbinian Holzer is terrible but keeps getting minutes, not because of some grand conspiracy. You've also been on something like 15 PP's in 3 games, maybe you keep getting penalized because your team is mediocre and can't stop Monahan. If you need OT to polish a team full of young guys who haven't peaked like Calgary, with that many PP's, the problem isn't the refs. Win with some grace, dude.

Like the league or the refs give a gently caress who advances in this series.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 18, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

bewbies posted:

The Wild are gonna come out batshit crazy tonight and probably put up 3 on the Blues in the first but it'll still go to OT.

So in other words they're gonna pull a Caps?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

T-Bone posted:

I think the Blues would have a lot of trouble with Nashville's speed and transition. Ditto for Anaheim. Nashville looks like the best team in the West right now. This is how a lot of people expected them to play in the regular season.

I don't know. This is literally Minnesota's game and they haven't done anything with it really. Most of their shots are from the outside or one and done.

Also, the Blues and Wild don't play game four until tomorrow night.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thufir posted:

Arvidsson is gonna get paiiiiid in the offseason.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think it's funny to see Caps fans assume they're already done because they lost two extremely close games. It's also funny that there are Leafs fans who now think they'll win the Cup this year because they won two extremely close games.

The one thing you're kind of glossing over here is that all three games were extremely close. Washington has looked like the better team in each game, but Toronto has done a great job of hanging tough and capitalizing on their chances. It could just as easily be 3-0 for Toronto as it could be for Washington. It's essentially impossible that they can keep it up through multiple rounds, but it's great that they don't look super outmatched despite having what was supposed to be the most one-sided playoff matchup.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Every time I see his jersey my brain thinks someone left a letter off the front of his name. Like it should be 'davidson' or something.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Watching all this playoff hockey has made me realize how loving out-of-hand slashes are getting without any calls. There's been so much stickwork in the hands in every series I've watched and it's dumb as gently caress.

Also the Ducks suck and the refs also suck. If I wind up in a position of having to choose between Anaheim and Edmonton I'm going to hope for a stadium collapse.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Yuuup. Johansen too.

e: Arvvy is arbitration-eligible too.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 18, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I can't believe all four games last night went to OT.

Ginette Reno posted:

Torts is so quotable

I love this. :allears:

NHL GDT 4/18/2017: If We're Going To Put On That poo poo For Music, Bob Needs To Be Our Best Player

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Gunjin posted:

I still think the Caps can win this series, other than the 3rd period last night it's been tight the whole way, one or two bounces, maybe Carlson not dropping his stick, puck not bouncing off of Schmidt's face, and we're all talking about how Toronto's kids are happy to have just gotten to the playoffs. But 4 decades watching the Caps, I've seen all sorts of poo poo. Easter Epic, Halak, Adam Oates. They can lose this and it won't be a surprise, this is easily the best team they've ever had and it looks built for a long run, but poo poo happens.

That said, gently caress Toronto, go Caps. I don't have a lot of playoffs left in this body, so loving pull your god drat heads out of your asses and win these loving games.

We absolutely can win the series. What kills my interest is that it's very obvious we will get bounced by Pittsburgh in the next round yet AGAIN, assuming that is indeed who we play. So it's like why bother with any of this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thufir posted:

Yuuup. Johansen too.

It's interesting because coming out of an ELC his comparables are like 3.5M$, but on 6 year terms - thinking Gallagher in particular. Add some measure of salary inflation and the preds might be able to get him locked in for like 4-4.5 per. That's probably where he should be. On the other hand, he just had a whale of a season and it looks like he might have a pretty exceptional playoff run. I don't see massive signs of regression, especially if they can lock down a top line of Forsberg - Johanssen - Arvidsson for the next 5 years, but it's always a bit risky buying long term on a guy after a season like this. I don't think anyone saw this coming.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kawalimus posted:

We absolutely can win the series. What kills my interest is that it's very obvious we will get bounced by Pittsburgh in the next round yet AGAIN, assuming that is indeed who we play. So it's like why bother with any of this.

Why bother waiting till round 2 to get bounced?

:smithicide:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
god I really don't like dropping the first game at the Garden to Ottawa. I think we'll (hopefully) win game 4, but then it becomes a Bo3. hackey scares me

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

It's interesting because coming out of an ELC his comparables are like 3.5M$, but on 6 year terms - thinking Gallagher in particular. Add some measure of salary inflation and the preds might be able to get him locked in for like 4-4.5 per. That's probably where he should be. On the other hand, he just had a whale of a season and it looks like he might have a pretty exceptional playoff run. I don't see massive signs of regression, especially if they can lock down a top line of Forsberg - Johanssen - Arvidsson for the next 5 years, but it's always a bit risky buying long term on a guy after a season like this. I don't think anyone saw this coming.

Yeah, he had pretty good AHL numbers too and has a non-insane S% so seems like this year is not entirely a fluke. I'm sure his agent wants to file for arbitration and wait as late as possible for leverage so that'll probably be the nailbiter contract for Nashville this summer.

Also I'm glad Nashville has a decent number of picks this year to hopefully bribe Vegas into not taking Jarnkrok.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I see what the Caps' plan is, it's now winning three in a row to absolutely crush the Leafs fans' spirits in their own arena.

Also, hahahahahaha Blackhawks git rekt

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Cartoon Man posted:

Why bother waiting till round 2 to get bounced?

:smithicide:

Well I mean we know in our hearts they'll lose in round 2 if they get there, but in my head I know it's still worth getting there cause stranger things have occurred. Look at the Ravens a couple years ago when they had a wildcard game at Pittsburgh and I was like oh yeah, here comes another loss to Pittsburgh in the postseason but what do you know, they won. That's just a one-game playoff though. But it's still theoretically possible the caps could win.

I'd just like it if they prevailed once every billion tries or so. But every year it's the same old story and people are just like "That was just bad luck for the caps and a matchup problem" or "Why did you expect to win? Pittsburgh was a better team" as if there has never been an upset in NHL playoff history and worse ones yet.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah most Caps fans aren't seriously concerned about losing this series, near as I can tell, they're concerned because they can barely handle a team that backed into the 8 seed and it doesn't bode well for them looking forward to other rounds.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mike_V posted:

I don't know. This is literally Minnesota's game and they haven't done anything with it really. Most of their shots are from the outside or one and done.

Also, the Blues and Wild don't play game four until tomorrow night.

Giving up 117 shots in three game is probably not a long term strategy for success. Jake Allen is having a good series but he's still Jake Allen.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

The one thing you're kind of glossing over here is that all three games were extremely close. Washington has looked like the better team in each game, but Toronto has done a great job of hanging tough and capitalizing on their chances. It could just as easily be 3-0 for Toronto as it could be for Washington. It's essentially impossible that they can keep it up through multiple rounds, but it's great that they don't look super outmatched despite having what was supposed to be the most one-sided playoff matchup.

Honestly, both teams have looked pretty evenly matched and I wouldn't say that one has looked consistently better than the other. Considering the Caps won the President's trophy and the Leafs were the last team to clinch, that pretty clearly means the Leafs have been the more impressive team. OT is essentially a coin flip so it could just as easily be 3-0 Caps right now, but credit where credit is due: the Leafs have been impressive enough to suggest they have the makings of a very good team. At worst, they lose the next three and taking a 118pt team to 6 games is impressive regardless of where you finished in the standings.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Pleads posted:

Watching all this playoff hockey has made me realize how loving out-of-hand slashes are getting without any calls. There's been so much stickwork in the hands in every series I've watched and it's dumb as gently caress.

Yep. Add in cross-checks in front of the net and after the whistle (and all the other stuff) and I've really soured on the NHL over the years. I love hockey but the ratio of smart/skilled dekes & passes to dumb/cheap hits & stickwork has gotten too low for me to enjoy watching much more than highlight reels.

Oh, and just to ensure that I don't cause an accidental derail, this is just my personal opinion and I'm not at all hoping to spark a debate on what is/isn't "good hockey". I'm really glad that SAS has a community that discusses hockey in an engaging and informative way so that I can follow the sport closely by proxy. Thanks to all the regs and lurkers who keep these threads/forums going!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

I'm okay with the Blackhawks flaming out like a dry fart but c'mon guys, at least make a show of it. Dudes look like they just don't give a poo poo and have already bought plane tickets for their summer vacation.

They scored a goal at least?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

They scored a goal at least?

Good work boys, ~$30 million spent on forwards gets you two playoff goals.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

kalensc posted:

Yep. Add in cross-checks in front of the net and after the whistle (and all the other stuff) and I've really soured on the NHL over the years. I love hockey but the ratio of smart/skilled dekes & passes to dumb/cheap hits & stickwork has gotten too low for me to enjoy watching much more than highlight reels.

you loving dumbass. you stupid little

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pleads posted:

Also the Ducks suck and the refs also suck. If I wind up in a position of having to choose between Anaheim and Edmonton I'm going to hope for a stadium collapse.

The league's conscious decision to almost completely ease up on stick infractions and interference is one thing I'll never understand. It kills offence and it's not like people consider hooks and slashes to be tough/cool hockey. It just slows things down and sucks the joy out of a lot of games. I'd really love to hear the league's perspective on all that, because it makes absolutely no sense to me.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
the worst thing honestly is the interference on dump ins, let those d-men get trucked it's exciting and gently caress d-men anyway unless they're ERIK KARLSSON

Brian Burke you fat loving rear end in a top hat

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's still not as trudgingly slow as the game was pre-2005. Personally I don't mind them letting more go as long as it's not egregious and the game is called evenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

The league's conscious decision to almost completely ease up on stick infractions and interference is one thing I'll never understand. It kills offence and it's not like people consider hooks and slashes to be tough/cool hockey. It just slows things down and sucks the joy out of a lot of games. I'd really love to hear the league's perspective on all that, because it makes absolutely no sense to me.

I think the issue is that stick infractions are pretty subjective when seen in real time at game speed and referees have a storied history of losing their whistles in the playoffs. They don't want a penalty to 'decide a series' or some wishy washy bullshit when we all know the real reason is fans go apeshit for violence and the NHL is happy to let it happen.

• Locked thread