Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Christ, some AIBs are cranking the poo poo out of the voltage on their 580s. Performance-per-watt on the Sapphire Nitro+ is nearly as bad as the Fury X :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Ehh only one "review" of a 580 @ 1500mhz so far that I can see. At least its achievable.

Anybody find a reference cooler review?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wargames posted:

so someone looking for a cheap card keep pointing them to the 570 and 580?

The higher spec 1060 or the 580 would be my suggestions.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

well why not posted:

The higher spec 1060 or the 580 would be my suggestions.

If the 1060 6GB is cheap enough, and you play primarily DX11 titles go with that. Otherwise RX580 all the way in the price segment.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Performance is not really exciting, but I do want to show some of my favorite graphs mostly because I'm wondering :wtc: is happening in some of these games:

Looks like a single-digit percentage improvement over the RX 480 for the 580, trades blows with the 1060 in DX11 and has a <10fps advantage in DX 12. From the rest of the PCPer graphs, frametimes look like they've generally improved as well. I had kinda hoped for a Zen test bench to throw in there, but I guess the platform isn't stable enough yet.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

AMD still as classy as always on the power front.

eames
May 9, 2009

Seamonster posted:

Ehh only one "review" of a 580 @ 1500mhz so far that I can see. At least its achievable.

Anybody find a reference cooler review?

Apparently there is no reference cooler/board, the Polaris refresh is AIB only.

Idle power consumption seems acceptable now but load power efficiency is a joke. An RX580 pulls 100W more than a GTX1060 in Crysis 3/BF4 and still gets left behind in framerates.

The rumours of process improvements gave me hope for Vega but if the Polaris refresh is any indication, it's going to be a hot summer for AMD.
:tif:

eames fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 18, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:siren: The Radeon Meme Generator is now available! :siren:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

NewFatMike posted:

Performance is not really exciting, but I do want to show some of my favorite graphs mostly because I'm wondering :wtc: is happening in some of these games:

Looks like a single-digit percentage improvement over the RX 480 for the 580, trades blows with the 1060 in DX11 and has a <10fps advantage in DX 12. From the rest of the PCPer graphs, frametimes look like they've generally improved as well. I had kinda hoped for a Zen test bench to throw in there, but I guess the platform isn't stable enough yet.

Ryzen and RX580

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-04/radeon-rx-580-570-test/2/#diagramm-rating-99th-percentile-frametimes-in-fps-1920-1080

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I was hoping for an XFX GTR review, but can't see any yet.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
No reference design is a "smart" move, it'll make a bunch of graphs more 500 series positive so to speak. Otherwise though, well... the price went down too I guess \O/

I'm not a power usage critic in general unless it causes other issues (mainly temps, which thankfully the custom coolers seem to have under control) but for real this is just nuts. They should have added a 1080ti in that graph for lols

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Palladium posted:

AMD still as classy as always on the power front.

hahaha good lord, you can't even blame 14nm for that, its alllll AMD and/or Glofo. FFS, nvidia gets a cool 135W from samsung's work, and thats a design that first entered the foundry about a year ago (though it is a lower power part)

but holy poo poo 360W?!

eames
May 9, 2009

:golfclap:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

NewFatMike posted:

The harder you push cards the more exaggerated those dips become and combine that with how often theyre polling for data and how much they decide to smooth it out you'll get those spikes. Its not much to worry about if every card does it, its just a game issue.

For example, this is what frame time looks like if you dont smooth it out at all

And that's good gameplay lol

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Overclock versus overclock the 580 and 1060 are still basically neck and neck, with the 1060 gaining more over stock than the 580 does from an overclock. Then to add to that 100w is a lot of added heat to disperse. Really, purely ignoring the low end cost advantage of Freesync I'd consider the 1060 a better card overall. Freesync makes that murkier. In Australia :australia: at least the best buys are probably the firesale 480's while they last.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

hahaha good lord, you can't even blame 14nm for that, its alllll AMD and/or Glofo. FFS, nvidia gets a cool 135W from samsung's work, and thats a design that first entered the foundry about a year ago (though it is a lower power part)

but holy poo poo 360W?!

Where are you seeing 360W?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wargames posted:

so someone looking for a cheap card keep pointing them to the 570 and 580?

The thing is that the RX 480 has declined to way way under MSRP while the 580 is going to be launching back at MSRP again. They're good deals when they're 30% less than a GTX 1060 6 GB, but priced head to head against the GTX 1060 6 GB the RX 480 has little merit of its own.

So, if you can score one for ~$180 before stock dries up, RX 480, then I'm back to recommending the 1060 6 GB at the ~$250 price range. The RX 580 isn't really worth it at that price unless you're big into the "future proofing" argument (which is terrible with GPUs still improving significantly year-on-year) or unless you're super big into AOTS and Doom.

Much like the 390 - you're not getting anything here that you couldn't get with a decent open-cooler version of the original card and a little bit of an overclock. An overclocked 480 and an overclocked 580 should be statistically similar within the margins of the silicon lottery. It's literally the same chip under the hood.

AMD literally didn't even bother bumping the version number of the chip to Polaris 20. "process improvements" :lol:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 18, 2017

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

B-Mac posted:

Where are you seeing 360W?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Paul MaudDib posted:

AMD literally didn't even bother bumping the version number of the chip to Polaris 20. "process improvements" :lol:

Luckily amd has ryzen money and won't go undernow, so maybe NAVI will be good, and use Samsung.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Gotcha, the one quoted was 303W.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

The thing is that the RX 480 has declined to way way under MSRP while the 580 is going to be launching back at MSRP again. They're good deals when they're 30% less than a GTX 1060 6 GB, but priced head to head against the GTX 1060 6 GB the RX 480 has little merit of its own.

So, if you can score one for ~$180 before stock dries up, RX 480, then I'm back to recommending the 1060 6 GB at the ~$250 price range. The RX 580 isn't really worth it at that price unless you're big into the "future proofing" argument (which is terrible with GPUs still improving significantly year-on-year) or unless you're super big into AOTS and Doom.

Wait, aren't the 1060 6GB and 480 8GB basically equal? So what makes the 1060 worth the premium?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Measly Twerp posted:

Wait, aren't the 1060 6GB and 480 8GB basically equal? So what makes the 1060 worth the premium?

Mindshare at this point.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

SlayVus posted:

Edit: My Titan XP(Not little p),

Wait what the gently caress have I missed

edit:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/titan-xp/

Goddamnit Nvidia.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I just bought a 1060 6gb, doesn't hurt that AMD doesn't work in my computers anyway- easy decision for me lol

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Measly Twerp posted:

The RX 480 is cheaper than the 1060 6 GB - but it's running significantly under MSRP right now. The RX 580 is a "new product" and prices will rubberband back up to MSRP, so effectively this is a $50-75 price increase for the same hardware. The RX 480 was a good deal at $180, the RX 580 is not a good deal at $250.

Comparing them at the MSRPs, I give the 1060 the nod because of its superior DX11 performance and power consumption. There are really only a handful of games that are out today on DX12 or Vulkan that are anything more than tech demos - and the RX 480/580 still suck at a number of them, like ROTTR.

There will be more games with DX12/Vulkan support as time goes on, but by that point there will be newer faster cards at the same price point and the RX 480/580 will be low-end performance. "Future proofing" is a fool's errand when GPUs are still getting 30% faster every year.

edit: the other thing to remember here is effectively you're comparing aftermarket AMD cards against reference NVIDIA products (which is typical - reviews almost always compare against reference cards). The 580 barely edges out the reference 1060 6GB in the TechPowerUp summary at 1080p - but going up against an equal foe, the aftermarket 1060 6 GB cards are going to outpace it overall.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 18, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Deuce posted:

Wait what the gently caress have I missed

edit:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/titan-xp/

Goddamnit Nvidia.

I really dont see why people are so upset about this. Nvidia simply got the yields up on the full size chip so can sell it now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

Much like the 390 - you're not getting anything here that you couldn't get with a decent open-cooler version of the original card and a little bit of an overclock. An overclocked 480 and an overclocked 580 should be statistically similar within the margins of the silicon lottery. It's literally the same chip under the hood.

What? The 580 is equal/faster, at a similar price and the main downside is it uses more power at max. load (the coolers are dealing with that thermal load just fine, though).

You come across as having the weirdest AMD hateboner sometimes.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I think people are upset cause amd wont put forth apparently any effort on the gpu side.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Don Lapre posted:

I really dont see why people are so upset about this. Nvidia simply got the yields up on the full size chip so can sell it now.

:ssh: Almost none of the people who are complaining actually own one. :ssh:

It's just faux outrage, they're imagining how upset Titan XP owners are and that means you should never buy NVIDIA, whereas if you bought an AMD instead you could enjoy fine 1080p performance for years, years I say!

Yeah we do have that one guy who bought one like two weeks ago or something. Which is really a stupid move all around, Titans are the classic example of "buy on launch day or not at all" since the x80 Ti cards are coming sooner or later, let alone a Titan Black. It's by no means an unprecedented move

The people who bought a Titan on launch day? Bet they're fine with it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 18, 2017

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Paul MaudDib posted:

The RX 480 is cheaper than the 1060 6 GB - but it's running significantly under MSRP right now. The RX 580 is a "new product" and prices will rubberband back up to MSRP, so effectively this is a $50-75 price increase for the same hardware. The RX 480 was a good deal at $180, the RX 580 is not a good deal at $250.

The top of the line Strix 580 is £320....

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

orcane posted:

What? The 580 is equal/faster, at a similar price and the main downside is it uses more power at max. load (the coolers are dealing with that thermal load just fine, though).

You come across as having the weirdest AMD hateboner sometimes.

The 580 is only faster in DX12/Vulkan titles, and its lead there is usually fairly small. The 1060 6GB spanks it at DX11 titles pretty soundly.

That's kind of a weird thing to say given that I recommend the Ryzen 5 and the RX 480 - but I always do it based on price-to-performance. Again, effectively this is a $75 price increase for literally the exact same hardware. I don't understand why it's a shocker that if you increase the price of the hardware by 33% it's no longer a good deal?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 18, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 580 is only faster in DX12/Vulkan titles, and its lead there is usually fairly small. The 1060 6GB spanks it at DX11 titles pretty soundly.

That's kind of a weird thing to say given that I recommend the Ryzen 5 and the RX 480 - but I always do it based on price-to-performance. Again, effectively this is a $75 price increase for literally the exact same hardware. I don't understand why it's a shocker that if you increase the price of the hardware by 33% it's no longer a good deal?

The RX480 in Doom is like 30-40% faster than the 1060 at 4k. It was enough I sold off the 1060 and went with the RX480. I wasn't expecting Doom at 4k to be totally unplayable on the 1060 but it was a slideshow.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Lungboy posted:

I got my 1060 just now for ~215$ with tax lol

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Don Lapre posted:

It's the dumb naming convention. Because they had two Titan X's, everyone was already referring to the Titan 2K16 as "Titan XP." And now they go and actually name a product the Titan Xp.

Their branding people are bad at their job, is what I'm saying.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
So they overclocked some 480s that are now way over the hill in terms of the chip's efficency, so we're seeing stupid power numbers. This was a total waste of time, and a stupid waste of a full generational number. AMD's marketing team need firing.

This is the level of rebranding poo poo you used to only see in special "OEM" editions of cards.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 18, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Lungboy posted:

The pound is awful, not sure if this surprises you given the news...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Deuce posted:

It's the dumb naming convention. Because they had two Titan X's, everyone was already referring to the Titan 2K16 as "Titan XP." And now they go and actually name a product the Titan Xp.

Their branding people are bad at their job, is what I'm saying.

Truth but at the same time, AMD isn't doing better by not releasing as a Revision like they said they were going to do, rather than release as "New" when in fact it is still "Old".

Here is hoping that Vega actually does have some R&D under the hood to bring them back into the game, because playing slapfight with the low end of the market may be ok on volume, but downright sad when you literally haven nothing to compete anywhere above that in the past few years.

I miss the old ATI days.

They did bring their CPU up to par in a way so hopefully they can do the same for GPU with a little more time.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

EdEddnEddy posted:

Truth but at the same time, AMD isn't doing better by not releasing as a Revision like they said they were going to do, rather than release as "New" when in fact it is still "Old".

Here is hoping that Vega actually does have some R&D under the hood to bring them back into the game, because playing slapfight with the low end of the market may be ok on volume, but downright sad when you literally haven nothing to compete anywhere above that in the past few years.

I miss the old ATI days.

They did bring their CPU up to par in a way so hopefully they can do the same for GPU with a little more time.

Yes, AMD branding is also bad and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

I miss the old ATI days.

Careful what you wish for, I'm fairly certain that AMD has a 400W dual-Vega product in the pipeline at this point.