Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

RBA Starblade posted:

In Fallout 3's dlc you get on a working tram at one point. The engine can't actually do that though, so what actually happens is you step into a tram that's really a gigantic hat on an extremely tiny man, who runs along a set path at the same time the AI walks your character along at an increased move speed.

I...I honestly don't know if this is a joke or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Finally got around to playing FF15 and while it's fun, it does have a few annoyances. One that unreasonably bothers me is that diner/shop NPCs that give a quest don't let you progress the quest by talking to them. No, that would be too simple! Each time there's some object nearby that you have to interact with to turn in the quest. I have no idea why they did it that way, some of the NPCs even have hunt quests that don't do that bullshit but "regular" quests do. Also the lip syncing is really bad and takes me out of the moment anytime an NPC opens their mouth. I assume the lips are synced to Japanese? I dunno.

Mainly the big thing dragging it down is that Witcher 3 is better in so many ways.

Leavemywife posted:

edit: It's true: http://www.pcgamer.com/heres-whats-happening-inside-fallout-3s-metro-train/

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Leavemywife posted:

Nope, it's real: http://www.geek.com/games/a-train-you-ride-in-fallout-3-is-actually-an-npc-wearing-a-train-hat-1628532/

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Well, actually, that's what people used to think, but I happen to know that It's a glove (or more accurately, an arm replacement).

http://kotaku.com/turns-out-fallout-3s-trains-were-actually-equipped-to-1719572837

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Almost every game has all sorts of weird and crazy workarounds like that, Bethesda ones are just more more known because the files and scripting are so accessible since they're built with an emphasis on modding. And even then it took years for that tram hack to become well-known.

In the beginning of Fallout 3 when you're playing as a baby you're actually just a really tiny adult locked into first-person view.

Which really fucks with the game's scripting in horrifying and amazing ways if you manage to use glitches or console commands to escape your room and get into trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHBzVTCO3nM&t=419s

A Fallout 4 mod also uses invisible, immortal cats as radio stations.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

Finally got around to playing FF15 and while it's fun, it does have a few annoyances. One that unreasonably bothers me is that diner/shop NPCs that give a quest don't let you progress the quest by talking to them. No, that would be too simple! Each time there's some object nearby that you have to interact with to turn in the quest. I have no idea why they did it that way, some of the NPCs even have hunt quests that don't do that bullshit but "regular" quests do. Also the lip syncing is really bad and takes me out of the moment anytime an NPC opens their mouth. I assume the lips are synced to Japanese? I dunno.

I think it's so you can interact with an NPCs shop/menu stuff without turning into the quest (since intentionally stockpiling quests so you can turn them in at once is a 'thing' in FFXV). That said, I feel like they could've come up with a better way to do that after like a decade of development than just "talk to the dude if you want to order a burger, talk to the wall if you want to finish the quest with him"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

wtf! Lonesome Road has probably the best looking environments that engine was capable of producing, I was wandering around half the time gaping at the teetering edifices on the horizon, and at the end there's the Divide itself, a huge canyon that a city just fell into. Not to mention the places that open up if you launch the nukes at the end; finally a series about nuclear war actually has some scary nuclear impact zones.

Lonesome Road has marginally improved urban ruins levels and some nice set pieces - filled with terrible bullet spongey enemies, with an insufferable antagonist constantly trying to chime in.

I always liked open space areas better anyway.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Lonesome Road has marginally improved urban ruins levels and some nice set pieces - filled with terrible bullet spongey enemies, with an insufferable antagonist constantly trying to chime in.
Odd, I don't remember a Borderlands expansion called Lonesome Road.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I loved Ulysses because he's set up as your usual Chris Avellone mythic semi - friendly antagonist full of forbidden wisdom with some kind of mysterious connection to the player character, and then you finally reach him at the culmination of 4 DLCs of buildup and he's just some crazy rear end in a top hat who fixated on you because he's a psycho.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I finished dead money last night, definitely the best one so far but I can totally see why the radios and fog hosed people off, it overstayed it's welcome, but I liked the characters and the weapons and clothes, christine was great and Elijah was believably pathetic but nasty enough as a villain.And the ghost enemies were cool as poo poo, shame you can't get their armour but from a story point I get it.

hearing elijah plead and beg over the radio at the end was brilliant, I didn't even expect that

Brazilianpeanutwar has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Apr 18, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Dean is the world's greatest scumbag

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I refuse to play dead money again without modding out the drat bomb collar because that whole gimmick is horseshit.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's good, and I want one in real life that will blow my head off brutally + hilariously

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks, didn't know what to get you for your birthday.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I loved Ulysses because he's set up as your usual Chris Avellone mythic semi - friendly antagonist full of forbidden wisdom with some kind of mysterious connection to the player character, and then you finally reach him at the culmination of 4 DLCs of buildup and he's just some crazy rear end in a top hat who fixated on you because he's a psycho.

I agree to a degree, but on the other hand one of the big things with New Vegas' writing was the way that The Courier was basically a blank slate that you could define and play as however you wanted and the DLC going "well, actually..." and throwing one of the basic tenets of your game's writing away for a gotcha moment kind of sucks.

2house2fly posted:

Dean is the world's greatest scumbag

Similarly, the way that Dean irreparably turns on you if you pass a skill check in your first conversation with him goes against everything in the entire series and feels like the writer caring more about huffing their own farts than making a good game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
What on earth is wrong with Dean turning against you if you choose a confrontational dialogue option?

E: I semi agree on Lonesome Road, but then "you were employed as a courier for several years" probably doesn't conflict with many people's Original Character Do Not Steal

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

I agree to a degree, but on the other hand one of the big things with New Vegas' writing was the way that The Courier was basically a blank slate that you could define and play as however you wanted and the DLC going "well, actually..." and throwing one of the basic tenets of your game's writing away for a gotcha moment kind of sucks.
Did it, though? Your character's one known point of background story is that he is/was a courier and the only thing Lonesome Road really said is that you once made a delivery there and wandered off again.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I always took Lonesome Road as the culmination of some weirdo's fixation on this one person he saw this one time and he basically had a head canon of what your life was like which didn't necessarily match the truth. He was a crazy person. You were "the courier" which was all you knew when you started the game in the first place.

Edit: it was hilariously anti-climactic. I assumed it was on purpose.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

ulysses, being the last of the twisted hairs, maintains the secret of cultivating the best, most cerebral weed in the wasteland

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Shoji Meguro, you composed Wake Up Get Up Get Out There. You have no excuse for making the Mementos theme so ear-searingly awful.

(aside from the fact that Mementos itself is basically worse than Tartarus I guess)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I maintain that Ulysses had no loving idea what a courier does.

If I'm not mistaken, the culmination of that DLC was him ripping you a new rear end in a top hat because you carried packages back and forth and didn't care about some town that appeared because it was in the middle of a highly trafficked road between California and Nevada. It's also apparently your fault the town was destroyed because someone paid you to deliver a package to the town. To be fair, that package contained a thermonuclear device that then blasted the town from the face of the earth permanently. But to hear Ulysses tell it, you were the mastermind behind the whole thing.

He simply could not conceive of a person ferrying packages for a living and not being a Legion/NCR spy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Did it, though? Your character's one known point of background story is that he is/was a courier and the only thing Lonesome Road really said is that you once made a delivery there and wandered off again.

Fallout 4 took flak for giving your guy a background. People apparently don't like anything beyond "have a guy with no backstory who does only the scripted things we allow"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I hate Ann's presence in Persona 5. Not necessarily her character, per se, but how the game and everyone in it treats her. She's essentially tits and rear end. She wears red spandex, is bent over in combat 90% of the time (even when knocked out), is a model, and people are frequently tripping over themselves to get a look at her sexy bod or whatever. Also she's 16. And yet they're talking about her doing some nude paintings. I'd prefer if she simply wasn't in the game at all.

Her character itself is okay, like, she wants to strive to be a better person, does alright at school, and isn't an airhead or anything (she's fluent in at least two languages, for example).

Spoilers about the sixth character on your team:

Makoto, on the other hand, is awesome. Her clothing is this leather armored corset, she rides a motorbike, is very competent and excels at deduction. She's a great character that contributes heavily to the team. And best of all I don't feel gross whenever she's on screen.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I finished dead money last night, definitely the best one so far but I can totally see why the radios and fog hosed people off, it overstayed it's welcome, but I liked the characters and the weapons and clothes, christine was great and Elijah was believably pathetic but nasty enough as a villain.And the ghost enemies were cool as poo poo, shame you can't get their armour but from a story point I get it.

hearing elijah plead and beg over the radio at the end was brilliant, I didn't even expect that

You can get the Hazmat Gear they wear in Old World Blues, minus the hood over the gas mask. It gives you an irritating night vision effect all the time though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

I maintain that Ulysses had no loving idea what a courier does.

If I'm not mistaken, the culmination of that DLC was him ripping you a new rear end in a top hat because you carried packages back and forth and didn't care about some town that appeared because it was in the middle of a highly trafficked road between California and Nevada. It's also apparently your fault the town was destroyed because someone paid you to deliver a package to the town. To be fair, that package contained a thermonuclear device that then blasted the town from the face of the earth permanently. But to hear Ulysses tell it, you were the mastermind behind the whole thing.

He simply could not conceive of a person ferrying packages for a living and not being a Legion/NCR spy.
When I get a bill, I hunt down and destroy the postman.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

wafflemoose posted:

I refuse to play dead money again without modding out the drat bomb collar because that whole gimmick is horseshit.

Guy Mann posted:

Similarly, the way that Dean irreparably turns on you if you pass a skill check in your first conversation with him goes against everything in the entire series and feels like the writer caring more about huffing their own farts than making a good game.

Avellone was responsible for both of these, if I remember correctly. He hated that the bulk of people played as some sort of shooter with some level of speech ability, so he designed a DLC to specifically gently caress with those builds.

Avellone is the kind of writer who huffs his own farts. Wasn't he the head writer of the modern cure for insomnia, Planescape Torment?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Avellone was responsible for both of these, if I remember correctly. He hated that the bulk of people played as some sort of shooter with some level of speech ability, so he designed a DLC to specifically gently caress with those builds.

Avellone is the kind of writer who huffs his own farts. Wasn't he the head writer of the modern cure for insomnia, Planescape Torment?

Oh you mean one of the best cRPGs with an actual modicum of character development? Yeah.

That said I would've *loved* another way to *emphasize* text.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

MisterBibs posted:

modern cure for insomnia, Planescape Torment?

Choke on a thousand hot dogs, fucker.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Morpheus posted:

I hate Ann's presence in Persona 5. Not necessarily her character, per se, but how the game and everyone in it treats her. She's essentially tits and rear end. She wears red spandex, is bent over in combat 90% of the time (even when knocked out), is a model, and people are frequently tripping over themselves to get a look at her sexy bod or whatever. Also she's 16. And yet they're talking about her doing some nude paintings. I'd prefer if she simply wasn't in the game at all.

Her character itself is okay, like, she wants to strive to be a better person, does alright at school, and isn't an airhead or anything (she's fluent in at least two languages, for example).

Spoilers about the sixth character on your team:

Makoto, on the other hand, is awesome. Her clothing is this leather armored corset, she rides a motorbike, is very competent and excels at deduction. She's a great character that contributes heavily to the team. And best of all I don't feel gross whenever she's on screen.

Persona 5 in general is pretty regressive in that regard, yeah.

They spend all of this time and effort in the first dungeon drilling into your head how horrible the volleyball coach is, abusing students and sexually harassing high school students, and then almost use that as a free pass to go HEY CHECK OUT THIS 16 YEAR OLD'S VAGINA ANY TIME IT'S HER TURN!

And then on top of that the protagonist is hit on by older women (which is totally awesome right,) the girls are totally perved on all the time in-plot, and the queer people they felt the need to include for some reason are obnoxiously stereotyped.

It's all just very tone deaf, and blatantly pandering to a particularly myopic brand of young straight guy. It's especially unfortunate as it flies in the face of the "outcasts coming together to defeat injustice" theming the game is trying to present.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Poulpe posted:

And then on top of that the protagonist is hit on by older women (which is totally awesome right,) the girls are totally perved on all the time in-plot, and the queer people they felt the need to include for some reason are obnoxiously stereotyped.

Are there any LGBTQ characters in the game aside from the obnoxiously stereotypical gay men from Shinjuku (minor spoiler about a location you can visit later).

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Morpheus posted:

Are there any LGBTQ characters in the game aside from the obnoxiously stereotypical gay men from Shinjuku (minor spoiler about a location you can visit later).

There's the enormously flaming drag queen bartender! That's it.

Poulpe has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Apr 18, 2017

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I always played the Courier in NV as though being shot in the head had given them retrograde amnesia because it made sense of my playstyle of bumbling about the Mojave asking a million questions and doing bizarre and arbitrary poo poo, which ended up working out great for Lonesome Road.

I'm having the most fabulous time playing BotW but one thing that does wind me up is skipping the blood moon cutscenes is super arbitrary. Sometimes it'll let me skip as soon as the moon appears, other times it makes me watch the whole drat thing. Usually while I'm in the middle of jumping or fighting so I've lost the thread by the time gameplay starts again. Why even have the cutscene every time?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Werong Bustope posted:

I always played the Courier in NV as though being shot in the head had given them retrograde amnesia because it made sense of my playstyle of bumbling about the Mojave asking a million questions and doing bizarre and arbitrary poo poo, which ended up working out great for Lonesome Road.

I'm having the most fabulous time playing BotW but one thing that does wind me up is skipping the blood moon cutscenes is super arbitrary. Sometimes it'll let me skip as soon as the moon appears, other times it makes me watch the whole drat thing. Usually while I'm in the middle of jumping or fighting so I've lost the thread by the time gameplay starts again. Why even have the cutscene every time?

Because the bloodmoon cutscene is covering up a mechanic that resets the world.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

frodnonnag posted:

Because the bloodmoon cutscene is covering up a mechanic that resets the world.
:doh:

Thank you, that actually makes it less annoying. In that case though I kinda wish it was unskippable everytime instead of taunting me with the possibility

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

Oh you mean one of the best cRPGs with an actual modicum of character development? Yeah.

Didn't someone tried to turn the game into an actual book and it wound up being a doorstopper? Dude uses a hundred words where ten sufficed.

Aside from being non-pill Unisom (and the fact that if I hear Updated My Journal one more time I'll die), the thing that annoyed the poo poo out of me with PS:T was a lack of XP sharing/catchup mechanic. Yay, I got the robot dude... he's level X and everyone else is X+10 or whatever.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MisterBibs posted:

Didn't someone tried to turn the game into an actual book and it wound up being a doorstopper? Dude uses a hundred words where ten sufficed.

Aside from being non-pill Unisom (and the fact that if I hear Updated My Journal one more time I'll die), the thing that annoyed the poo poo out of me with PS:T was a lack of XP sharing/catchup mechanic. Yay, I got the robot dude... he's level X and everyone else is X+10 or whatever.

The Let's Play turned into a Book was a great idea, but yeah. I don't think I even made it to where he meets the Celibate Succubus.
It was a fantastic writing exercise, but sort of a slog since you aren't actively engaged by, you know, playing the game.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Werong Bustope posted:

:doh:

Thank you, that actually makes it less annoying. In that case though I kinda wish it was unskippable everytime instead of taunting me with the possibility

Is it not always skippable? I never had any problems skipping it on Wii U, but I did have to hit Start before I could hit X to skip.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Binary Domain's PC port is weird, guys

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Inco posted:

Is it not always skippable? I never had any problems skipping it on Wii U, but I did have to hit Start before I could hit X to skip.

Kind of befuddled me when I heard people complaining about this in the thread on Games too, because I've always been able to skip it immediately, but apparently if it's correcting something particularly egregious you won't be able to skip the cutscene until it's done fixing whatever it's fixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
On Switch you need to tap X before the "press + to skip" option comes up. Also there's a glitch where if you get multiple blood moons in a row you need to fully reset the game. I think I had three cutscenes in a row almost before I found out? Hellish, especially when I'd just beaten a tough enemy and it respawned almost right next to me.