Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Oneplus 3 has a really really weak vibration motor, do most new phones have it that weak? Short impulses feel like slight tickle in hand and even when it's on hard table I can barely hear it from other room. My old HTC One Mini and dumbphones preceding it had way stronger vibration.
I will hate going back to using ringtones because of this stupid shortcoming.

Another negative thing I noticed was how dim the backside led is, also compared to HTC One, but this doesn't really matter because it's still perfectly usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SinineSiil posted:

Oneplus 3 has a really really weak vibration motor, do most new phones have it that weak? Short impulses feel like slight tickle in hand and even when it's on hard table I can barely hear it from other room. My old HTC One Mini and dumbphones preceding it had way stronger vibration.

Another negative thing I noticed was how dim the backside led is, also compared to HTC One, but this doesn't really matter because it's still perfectly usable.

In my experience, even different examples of the same device can have wildly varying vibration intensity.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

SinineSiil posted:

It may use something similar to what's in the iPhone 7 or Nintendo Switch, which is basically a magnet that moves along a place instead of a weight that rotates on an axis. If so, it's supposed to allow finer control (smaller, more distinct vibration) and less noise compared to a traditional vibration motor. Regardless, if you want to hear your phone, don't leave it on a mode that isn't supposed to make noise.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

sleepwalkers posted:

It may use something similar to what's in the iPhone 7 or Nintendo Switch, which is basically a magnet that moves along a place instead of a weight that rotates on an axis. If so, it's supposed to allow finer control (smaller, more distinct vibration) and less noise compared to a traditional vibration motor. Regardless, if you want to hear your phone, don't leave it on a mode that isn't supposed to make noise.

Nah, it's normal motor

I don't remember the last time I actually used ringtunes, I've always left my phones on vibrate and it was all good.

E: I actually googled to find out what the HTC One vibration motor looks like and it's way bigger than Oneplus 3's. Also lot of people asking how to turn it down. :v:

Sininu fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 18, 2017

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

SinineSiil posted:

There should be a system setting to adjust the vibration strength in the "Sound & Notifications" category.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Jacobus Spades posted:

There should be a system setting to adjust the vibration strength in the "Sound & Notifications" category.

Nothing like that for me. I'm sure it's just because they opted for tiniest motor for this that can't do much more.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Look at you bougie nerds never trying grilled dog before

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SinineSiil posted:

Nah, it's normal motor

I don't remember the last time I actually used ringtunes, I've always left my phones on vibrate and it was all good.

E: I actually googled to find out what the HTC One vibration motor looks like and it's way bigger than Oneplus 3's. Also lot of people asking how to turn it down. :v:

Same since I got my Pebble, I haven't used a Ringtone except for when the watch is charging once a week. The vibration motor in my watch is strong too. If you ever sleep with your head resting on it, you will be up as all hell when that alarm goes off right against you temple.

Though the vibration of my 6P can be felt ok in my hand, in my pocket I don't feel a dang thing when I get a text or notification. Maybe it is because of the case, but I have long since lost any notice of it nor the old phantom vibration of old before I got my Pebble.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

SinineSiil posted:

Hah, there's your answer then! Guess you're just stuck with a weak-rear end motor if they stripped the ability to change the intensity from software.

<Insert snarky "don't buy OnePlus" comment here>

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

Same since I got my Pebble, I haven't used a Ringtone except for when the watch is charging once a week. The vibration motor in my watch is strong too. If you ever sleep with your head resting on it, you will be up as all hell when that alarm goes off right against you temple.

Though the vibration of my 6P can be felt ok in my hand, in my pocket I don't feel a dang thing when I get a text or notification. Maybe it is because of the case, but I have long since lost any notice of it nor the old phantom vibration of old before I got my Pebble.

I advocate that everyone get some kind of wearable, they are good

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Blue Train posted:

The Pebble SE 2 does not work well with my Pixel, which is a drat shame because I really like it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Blue Train posted:

but not a Gen 1 Moto 360. They are not good.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone have a Verizon s7? Does the front camera blow? Mine wont focus on my face. Maybe I am too ugly.. Idunno.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My S7 Edge front camera owns so maybe your face or camera is broken.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have an s6 which beats my s7 for selfies. My face is definitely broke but the s7 is worse. I read the S7 edge might have a different front camera vs the s7. Either way mine looks like poo poo. I called verizon and had them send a replacement s7.. maybe it will be better. No idea.

[edit] Look at this poo poo!

1:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgWyFqtdEL8

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 18, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

redeyes posted:

I have an s6 which beats my s7 for selfies. My face is definitely broke but the s7 is worse. I read the S7 edge might have a different front camera vs the s7. Either way mine looks like poo poo. I called verizon and had them send a replacement s7.. maybe it will be better. No idea.

Nope, S7/S7 Edge are the same cameras (and Note 7, and the S8 is apparently the same hardware but better software?). Could the glass/lens have gotten damaged somehow? At least you're getting a replacement.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nope, S7/S7 Edge are the same cameras (and Note 7, and the S8 is apparently the same hardware but better software?). Could the glass/lens have gotten damaged somehow? At least you're getting a replacement.

Look at this comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgWyFqtdEL8 1:20

CLAM DOWN posted:

Any chance you can load AIDA64 and report back the Camera type?

Mine reports front camera as (samsung) SLSI_S5K4E6XX 5.1mp

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 18, 2017

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

Does anybody have experience with replacing an S7 Edge screen out from warranty? just realizing why curved screens are dumb. looking for where to buy an OEM screen for a reasonable price. Unfortunately replacing just the glass seems like a terrible way to do it as it means delaminating the old glass from the digitizer and praying you do a good glue job. I think the full screen module is the way to go but I can't find the part for under ~$260.

anybody have a line on well-priced oem replacement screens for me? :cry:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MMD3 posted:

anybody have a line on well-priced oem replacement screens for me? :cry:

Replacing screens on modern phones is really expensive. If it's not under warranty you would be better off just buying a new phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

redeyes posted:

Any chance you can load AIDA64 and report back the Camera type?

Mine reports front camera as (samsung) SLSI_S5K4E6XX 5.1mp

S7 Edge SM-G935W8 (Canadian one, so Exynos) front camera is SLSI_S5K4E6_FIMC_IS. To compare, the rear camera is SONY_IMX260_FIMC_IS.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

S7 Edge SM-G935W8 (Canadian one, so Exynos) front camera is SLSI_S5K4E6_FIMC_IS. To compare, the rear camera is SONY_IMX260_FIMC_IS.

It's pretty odd how the Verizon version is a lot different. I don't like this s7 at all. It's slow, bad cameras, etc. Oh well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

redeyes posted:

It's pretty odd how the Verizon version is a lot different. I don't like this s7 at all. It's slow, bad cameras, etc. Oh well.

Our camera sensors are exactly the same I'm pretty sure, "S5K4E6". They should not be different at all, other than Exynos vs Snapdragon. The only special thing about the Canadian model (the -W8 ending) is that it's factory unlocked and it will lock to the carrier of whatever the first SIM card inserted is. It does a special wipe and reboot and everything when you do this too, installing a carrier partition or whatever.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Taffer posted:

Replacing screens on modern phones is really expensive. If it's not under warranty you would be better off just buying a new phone.

well it's like $300 for a new screen vs. $600+ for a new unlocked phone? hmmmmmm

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyst posted:

Look at you bougie nerds never trying grilled dog before

Yeah you're really slumming it giving your dog a note 7

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Our camera sensors are exactly the same I'm pretty sure, "S5K4E6". They should not be different at all, other than Exynos vs Snapdragon. The only special thing about the Canadian model (the -W8 ending) is that it's factory unlocked and it will lock to the carrier of whatever the first SIM card inserted is. It does a special wipe and reboot and everything when you do this too, installing a carrier partition or whatever.

That and the Verizon version has a CDMA radio and all that jazz. My front camera is piss poor. Back camera is a downgrade from the s6. Bleh.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MMD3 posted:

well it's like $300 for a new screen vs. $600+ for a new unlocked phone? hmmmmmm

Check what you can sell the broken screen phone for on eBay or wherever. Should close that price gap quite a bit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

redeyes posted:

That and the Verizon version has a CDMA radio and all that jazz. My front camera is piss poor. Back camera is a downgrade from the s6. Bleh.

You seem to have a lemon or broken phone, because no S7 model is a downgrade from an S6. Glad you're getting a replacement.

CDMA is from the Snapdragon variant I believe, Exynos does not support it that's why we have the Exynos one since gently caress CDMA.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Just got a super secret 7.1.2 update on my PXL

Not allowed to talk about it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Whoops

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/04/18/google-accidentally-pushed-dogfood-test-build-may-2017-security-update-pixel-xl/

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Hey cool hopefully nothing breaks.

I do have a new Play store UI for my apps now though.

Looks nice

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MMD3 posted:

If you're comfortable replacing it yourself go nuts. Most people wouldn't be.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

redeyes posted:

Are the lenses clean? People don't really think about it (I know I didn't) but unlike every other camera on the planet, you put phones in your pocket and hands with the optics exposed, they're gonna get crud on them and it will affect the picture and things like focus to some degree. Really you should be wiping them every time you go to take a picture, but who does that?

Or maybe everyone does and it's just me who forgets

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

My gen1 MotoX had adhesive from closing the case or mounting the screen or something get in the way of the FFC lens twice. Didn't notice until I tried to do something in less than optimal lighting.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

redeyes posted:

Yeah, your phone is straight up broken. The S7, no matter the model, isn't a downgrade in any way. Sucks you ended up with a lemon, but at least you can get a replacement.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sleepwalkers posted:

Yeah, your phone is straight up broken. The S7, no matter the model, isn't a downgrade in any way. Sucks you ended up with a lemon, but at least you can get a replacement.

Well technically the s6 has a 16mp camera which is wide angle and the s7 has a 12mp camera 3:2. Thats a huge loving difference nevermind anything else. I far prefer the wide angle of the s6.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So how lovely is this Sentio Superbook gonna be, really?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

redeyes posted:

Well technically the s6 has a 16mp camera which is wide angle and the s7 has a 12mp camera 3:2. Thats a huge loving difference nevermind anything else. I far prefer the wide angle of the s6.

You know that cameras are about far more than megapixels right? Have you even compared the two looking at image results? The S7 is waaaaaaay better.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

redeyes posted:

To be fair, I said it wasn't a downgrade, not that there wasn't any difference. Though, the differences that are present are largely beneficial.
There's really not nearly as big a difference as those numbers make it appear. Firstly, the resolution decrease won't mean much to a large majority of users as they'll rarely be viewing their photos at full resolution or printing them at large sizes or 300 DPI or whatever. Secondly, there's a 2mm difference in focal lengths, which shouldn't produce a massive difference. For example, the lens on the Pixel is wider angle than either (and isn't pitched as "wide-angle"), you're not getting anything approaching the LG G6 with the S6 or S7. The real improvements are in the sensor itself that has larger pixels, lets more light in, has improved shutter and focus speeds, etc.
Ultimately, the S7 should, in most every situation, produce better shots. Nothing breathtakingly different, but not a step back in really any meaningful way.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Android lock screen has voice assist and camera buttons in the bottom, can those be turned off somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fuzz posted:

So how lovely is this Sentio Superbook gonna be, really?

Well, it's all the weight, space, and additional charging requirements of carrying around an actual laptop/tablet/Chromebook with zero of the utility at not a whole lot less than buying a Chromebook, so you do the math.