Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Beastie posted:

Yup! We're gonna need a separate thread before this one is awash with friend codes.

Someone mentioned starting one up. I am so stoked, haven't played Mariokart in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
how much could i expect to get for my copy of BotW? This is a game I want to go digital for, so I have no need of a cart

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

What was the name of that online retailer that had switches? HHB or something?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

parallelodad posted:

It bugs me whenever people refer to Shovel Knight as an 8-bit throwback. The only thing 8-bit about it is the voices used in the soundtrack and number of channels matches the Konami sound chip on some Famicom games. Everything else about it, from number of colors per sprite​, number of sprites on screen, parallax scrolling, number of buttons used, and so on is far more akin to SNES games and in actuality beyond it.
:goonsay:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

parallelodad posted:

It bugs me whenever people refer to Shovel Knight as an 8-bit throwback. The only thing 8-bit about it is the voices used in the soundtrack and number of channels matches the Konami sound chip on some Famicom games. Everything else about it, from number of colors per sprite​, number of sprites on screen, parallax scrolling, number of buttons used, and so on is far more akin to SNES games and in actuality beyond it.

Yacht Club actually wrote up a pretty spiffy article on that topic. It's actually not as far from the NES as you might think.

Binary Badger posted:

What was the name of that online retailer that had switches? HHB or something?

HEB?

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Meridian posted:

Someone mentioned starting one up. I am so stoked, haven't played Mariokart in years.

Here, I believe.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

how much could i expect to get for my copy of BotW? This is a game I want to go digital for, so I have no need of a cart

I got 45 for mine, paid 48. Feels good.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I did it, I played Isaac for more hours than Zelda. I'll probably double it by the end of the month.

Also, what's the deal with Delirium? I don't bother going for him unless I've got a pretty broken build going, but sometimes his health bar just melts from say 90% to 10%. I've fought him maybe a dozen times so far, and only once was it a legitimate fight where he didn't randomly melt.

Hush is still my favorite fight in the game. I need a real danmaku shmup on Switch.

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 18, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think a lot of you "get" Mario Kart. If you can't laugh at getting randomly wrecked in hilarious ways then there is something not right about your being.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Music Theory posted:

Also, the NFS: Most Wanted game that Criterion developed is worse than Paradise because driving in that game doesn't feel nearly as good. 90% of my playtime in Paradise is just driving around the city without actually doing events, so a Paradise-like where that isn't fun isn't a good Paradise-like, imo.

I know maybe I have outlier taste in handling when it comes to normal racing games, but I enjoyed Most Wanted fair enough. It wasn't quite as tight as Paradise maybe, but adjustable enough that I didn't mind it after a while.

LethalGeek posted:

I don't think a lot of you "get" Mario Kart. If you can't laugh at getting randomly wrecked in hilarious ways then there is something not right about your being.

I understand if that's an appeal to some people. Personally, I'd prefer slightly less being dicked over with nothing to do about it in my racing games.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Lemming posted:

If you're not first, you're last

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The worst the AI rubberbanding and blue shells can do to me in Mario Kart is mirror and 150cc cups taking me four or five tries to get first in all races rather than one or two. That seems fair. Not sure how bad it gets in 200cc.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Where the gently caress is wonderboy

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yacht Club actually wrote up a pretty spiffy article on that topic. It's actually not as far from the NES as you might think.

Actually, if anything, that article supports what that guy is saying. The article mostly is just Yacht Club saying, "Yeah the NES was limited on these things, but we thought that'd be annoying so we decided to break the limitation here." Still a good read tho

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Where the gently caress is wonderboy

It broke :( Let the bat boy pick you out a new one.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Don't the star, bullet bill, and horn protect against the blue shell these days?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ventana posted:

I understand if that's an appeal to some people. Personally, I'd prefer slightly less being dicked over with nothing to do about it in my racing games.
Fox Only. No Items. Final Destination.

vs

Turn 20 BOWSER REVOLUTION

I do agree with the complaint about locking non-cosmetic things behind successes though. If you can just brute force it with a lot of losses it's fine.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Ventana posted:

I mean, that's fair. It's essentially the items/no items argument in Smash, kinda depends on if you want the game to be a fun partyfest or slightly closer to a traditional fighting game. Personally I like both, but I get why people would prefer one or the other.

Also if anyone hasn't played MK8: there's an item called the Super Horn that destroys the blue shell if you use it when it's about to hit you.

I think Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed has my favorite version of a blue shell-esque item. It launches a swarm of bees that creates a bunch of giant bee hazards that you have to dodge that each disappear once someone hits them, so if you're in first you have to dodge ALL of the bees, but you still CAN. It also means that even if YOU launched the bee swarm from like 5th place it can still gently caress you over if you run into a bee :v:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Xad posted:

Also if anyone hasn't played MK8: there's an item called the Super Horn that destroys the blue shell if you use it when it's about to hit you.
You can mushroom away from them too if you time it right.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Pack it in, Switch is dead and used up. Sad!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Ventana posted:

Actually, if anything, that article supports what that guy is saying. The article mostly is just Yacht Club saying, "Yeah the NES was limited on these things, but we thought that'd be annoying so we decided to break the limitation here." Still a good read tho

Yacht Club thought about NES games and the limitations of the NES every time they made a design decision and their explicit goal was to produce a game that was reminiscent of the NES. To say that it's actually a 16-bit throwback because parallax scrolling is in is and they added a few additional colors is ridiculous.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk1C632ZCGw

oh my god 12 person battle mode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I found the bees really easy to dodge.

I liked Diddy Kong Racing's stacking power up system.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
FINALLY wonderboy is up

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I love how much Nintendo is making sure Splatoon shows up all over their MK8 stuff.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

enojy posted:

I did it, I played Isaac for more hours than Zelda. I'll probably double it by the end of the month.

Also, what's the deal with Delirium? I don't bother going for him unless I've got a pretty broken build going, but sometimes his health bar just melts from say 90% to 10%. I've fought him maybe a dozen times so far, and only once was it a legitimate fight where he didn't randomly melt.

Hush is still my favorite fight in the game. I need a real danmaku shmup on Switch.

Hush, Ultra Greed and Delirium all have a shielding mechanic to make it so that huge amounts of damage can be diminished on some level so that you don't kill them in seconds, but there are various ways around this. For one, shielding can only reduce the power of a single shot or tick of damage, so if you have something like guppy + BFF + high tear rate and you're producing tons of flies the shielding won't do much about that. Another issue specific to Delirium is that only its transformations are shielded. If you are killing Delirium quickly you probably got in a big hit on his true form which doesn't have any armor value.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I've been playing greed mode for a week trying to unlock Lilith and haven't yet gotten a good enough run that I didn't get completely faced by Ultra Greed

The one time I made it with a decent amount of hearts I was only doing a teeny part of his health per burst and had zero crowd control capability. Frustrating.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I thought Delirium didn't have armor like the other two. He does seem to take damage much faster then Hush at least from what I seen. Also Delirium can get EXTREMELY gently caress if he decides to take Larry Jr or Hollow's form, as the hitbox for their body can be destroyed and he went from near full health to near death after a few hits.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The Bloop posted:

Fox Only. No Items. Final Destination.

vs

Turn 20 BOWSER REVOLUTION

As Xad kinda brought up in his post right after, I just prefer Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed as a middle ground on this point. It still has items to turn the tides, but it's a lot more manageable to deal with them. I feel less dicked over getting hit by one of the Bee spawns versus trying to dodge the blue shell.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yacht Club thought about NES games and the limitations of the NES every time they made a design decision and their explicit goal was to produce a game that was reminiscent of the NES. To say that it's actually a 16-bit throwback because parallax scrolling is in is and they added a few additional colors is ridiculous.

Yeah I guess I mispoke; the article supports the original posters point that Shovel Knight doesn't really operate on NES limitations, and on that point is more like the later generations of games. Obviously though, the art and game designs are still clearly hearkening back to NES era game design. Freedom Planet is more of an example of a game that tries to be a 16-bit era throwback than Shovel Knight.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Rirse posted:

I thought Delirium didn't have armor like the other two. He does seem to take damage much faster then Hush at least from what I seen. Also Delirium can get EXTREMELY gently caress if he decides to take Larry Jr or Hollow's form, as the hitbox for their body can be destroyed and he went from near full health to near death after a few hits.

My problem is that there is just so much written stuff about BoI that I don't know where to start. It's all so overwhelming but I'm getting to the point where I'm completely drawn in by all the possibilities.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Spacebump posted:

If anyone is still looking for decent cases for their system, this is the one I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/Industries-N...ndo+switch+case

I originally went to the store looking for a hardshell case and settled on this one after feeling it. When I travel, I like to put my portables in a case and then put them in my backpack. I generally put the ac adaptors in the backpack for devices and get cases that don't fit an ac adaptor. If you're looking for one that can hold your ac adaptor, this isn't it. The system fits well inside with joy cons attached. The game holders are nice and it has a zipper pouch inside that could hold more games or a small set of headphones.

A good case if you don't mind the ac adaptor not in the case and hard shell isn't as important to you. Would recommend.

I can fit my Switch, USB-A to USB-C Cable, small iPad power brick, and my headphones in the case no problem.

It's a great case

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Stan Taylor posted:

I want them to play this over the credits or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuX5_OWObA0

Nah, slow mo replays with this playing in the background...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGF-qMIMlbQ

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It's very easy to beat the computers and rank in at 3 stars in Mario Kart. If you're good at the game, you will perform well online consistently, blue shells and all.

If anything, the least balanced environment for playing it is couch multiplayer, where if people aren't acclimated with it, the person who owns the console usually destroys everyone else

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I was trying to double-check the release date of Puyo Puyo Tetris via Google, and the second result nearly gave me a heart attack:

Puyo Puyo Tetris Will Cost $70 On The Nintendo Switch

Sweet Jesus! Does they keychain pack-in cost that much? Is this a late April Fool's prank?

https://www.kotaku.com.au/...

Oh thank god. For a second there I thought I'd have some injustice to bemoan.

Game's supposed to drop on the 25th. That's next Tuesday.

Unless you live in one of those wacky, second-class regions. But why would anyone choose to live there?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Spellman posted:

It's very easy to beat the computers and rank in at 3 stars in Mario Kart. If you're good at the game, you will perform well online consistently, blue shells and all.

If anything, the least balanced environment for playing it is couch multiplayer, where if people aren't acclimated with it, the person who owns the console usually destroys everyone else

This is my experience with Mario Kart. You can get good and win consistently online and offline. You'd think the entire game was decided by a random number generator the way people talk about it.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Infinitum posted:

If you want a super good Isaac run
M393 X367

Buy the ? item in the 1st Shop
Go into the first Devil Room that spawns

Enjoy.

My god this helped me like the game more.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

So, I'm a dragon in Wonderboy. The pig at the church told me to find an antidote. I'm assuming that the nurse that sells the cure is what he is talking about, but I can't buy the drat thing. What do I do?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

it shriveled up posted:

So, I'm a dragon in Wonderboy. The pig at the church told me to find an antidote. I'm assuming that the nurse that sells the cure is what he is talking about, but I can't buy the drat thing. What do I do?

The nurse heals you

you need to go in the other buildings you can go in to start your quest.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ask for a refund and play a better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I love me some Mario Cars and have put hundreds of multiplayer hours into each installment but i usually give up on the singleplayer halfway through Mirror mode because it just becomes tedious. I guess i'm not good enough to dodge blue shells or whatevs.

Also the last truely excelent Burnout was 2, the later games were less excellent but still good tho. Paradise is fine but it took years for them to patch in the option to retry events because it apparrently "broke the player's immersion". Everyone should go play Driver Sanfransisco instead becase it fucken rules.

• Locked thread