Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nah he's Chunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
LET ME loving FINISH

*does the truffle shuffle*

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Nah he's Chunk

We're all the Asian stereotype.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

These are dudes who are happy to proclaim their adherence to Logic, meanwhile conjuring up a perspective that's impervious to falsification. To paraphrase Strong Bad: "it's like, even when we win, they win".

I've been paddling those shallows since the start of t'internet, and it's always been slightly amazing how people will argue themselves into corners with inconsistency. Nobody knows you're a dog on the web.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

his nibs posted:

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

If Derek posts on SA forums and no one reads it, is it still a missive?

I have to read them lol

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I have to read them lol

What you need is some doxx-alert software :)

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

kingcom posted:

No but loving real talk about what the hell goes into designing something. The newest expansion for EU IV came out, a confirmed Good Game. In it they introduce a new mechanic called the 'Age' System where if you're managing to achieve specific goals during a time period the 'Age' is set in then you get points towards some nice bonuses right. See below:

For this to work you obviously need some kind of UI interface in order to actually allow the user to interact with it obviously.

Based on what MOMA just loving said. The Paradox Dev schedule looked like this:

1. Design the loving window and text field with no loving idea whats supposed to go in there and why. Just loving throw poo poo on the screen who cares
2. Come up with a game mechanic that will go in that window and make use of the dumb circles that DDRJake (anything wrong is probably his fault idk) put up on the sides for some reason.
3. Plan how that system is something that can impact the player and how they can make use of it in an interesting and dynamic way given the likelyhood for repetition, and rapidly different circumstances to achive this goal
4. Implement mechanics.
5. Test redesign/repeat

What MOMA just loving said, was that the UI guy just loving throws some poo poo on the screen and the Game Designers need to guess and make best use out of the poo poo the UI person just stuck up there.

The game design meetings are just them pointing at a UI and going
'He put a bunch of squares there ? Why, what do they mean? Should we have something players click on there, like its a bunch of options?
Oh OH maybe its showing you what you're unlocking?
No DAMNIT, the Squares down the right of the page are the ones where it shows what you're unlocking!
No no listen, what if unlocking the things on the right gives you points to unlock the things on the top right? Its like a goal and if you finish the goal you pick which bonus you want.

Goddamnit this pisses me off. Game Design and Development is loving hard and for someone to just piss on all the work and effort real loving teams go through to develop a piece of software, let alone the nightmare of a project that is a video game is infuriating. gently caress you MOMA you loving ignorant hack, gently caress you for deeming all the work actual developers put into their projects. gently caress you for the teams who have to solve complex problems and real legitimate challenges but thanks to their good planning and design philosophy and most importantly their game bible and technical design documents (THEY MADE FIRST) they have a way to solve them.

God loving damnit are you so utterly ignorant of anything to do with software development.

Take a break commando. Go for a walk, or have a nice hot cup of coffee. Whatever you do, you shouldn't get this riled up about what someone says on an internet forum about a video game.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

I have to read them lol
good lord man

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

All versions of the ToS // MoMa did a great job with his Titanium-clad June 2016 version*!

Da Pledge

* you know, the one which the DCBA took one at and said "nuh-uh, gently caress you! Refunds!"

Derek, I am not Toast.

And furthermore.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Take a break commando. Go for a walk, or have a nice hot cup of coffee. Whatever you do, you shouldn't get this riled up about what someone says on an internet forum about a video game.
watch your back in the verse your kos to me and my kind so be careful out there and wacth that cargo

Cmmdr Alicia Shepard
Allianmce System
Commander of the Idris "Voluptor"

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

It's not anyone's turn but your own. There's not fate but what we make.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

More evidence that not enough people are downloading to make the delta patcher worth it.

Who was doing metrics on Star Marine play? I want an update.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I think that when 3.0 hits we'll have enough people here to form our own ORG. Not sure if ORG 1.0 will be in with 3.0, but I'm hoping it will be.Does anyone have more than the basic package? To really get the multicrew esxperience we need something bigger than just the starter packages. I know for a fact me and pgabz are playing only stupid people at this point have refunded anyway.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Derek, every once in a while you post something that's relevant and, on occasion, readable, but I think a lot of people will just mash their pgdn to avoid what could be another July blog rehash. A lot of the time you get caught up in arguing minutiae of CIG's or their fans' doings that don't matter outside of your arguments with some random cultist, and that stuff gets pgdn'd pretty fast. You've got a lot of experience making bad space games, so I like reading things you write about how they're made and how CIG fails to make them, the technical spergy stuff that's not immediately apparent to a non-dev. I'm in awe of your ability to make internet people hate you, but that stuff is definitely detrimental to any tangential or unrelated discourse in the same fora.

Anyway your post above, which I did read and didn't regret reading, would benefit from using a less confrontational approach since its readability is affected by the impression that it's a missive or a declaration, rather than being, you know, part of a discussion. I get that a lot of Citizens argue from bad faith and while that might seem like a reason to reply with the same, conversely, your being reasonable would absolutely confound them, never mind the benefits to the actual discussion.

See, there are intricacies even in internet discussions which can be beneficial both to the discussion and to your hahahaa oh lol I didn't just write all of this in reply to internet warlord did I.

You dare question the writing style of the Warlord Supreme? He has been doing this for over two, nay, three decades! As a Tier 1 Indie Developer with 12+ titles to his name, he's earned the right to speak to whomever, however he would like.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

XK posted:

More evidence that not enough people are downloading to make the delta patcher worth it.

Who was doing metrics on Star Marine play? I want an update.

The Spectrum General forums have had about 23 posts in the last hour. This one thread has been far busier.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
I think people who find MoMA amusing are reading the idiotic posts in Matt Berry's dulcet tones.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

TheAgent posted:

watch your back in the verse your kos to me and my kind so be careful out there and wacth that cargo

Cmmdr Alicia Shepard
Allianmce System

Cash me ousside.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Chin posted:

I think people who find MoMA amusing are reading the idiotic posts in Matt Berry's dulcet tones.

Honestly, whoever gave me that avatar did a 10/10 job.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Hav posted:

They usually believe that technicalities in court are a lot more common than they actually are, and that there are loopholes to exploit in the 'spirit' of taking money up front for supplying goods at a later date. Get them to read their money sometime. Point out that it's not actually money, we just accept the promise on the note.

I like the analogy I saw someone use recently. If you personally promise someone something, then reneg and claim you had no actual contract, that's comparable to making official statements, then reneging because you never explicitly promised.

Derek, I saw you use that cook/hamburger analogy. Please rephrase it in the future as, "I don't have to be a baker to tell you that your cake sucks." Your use of not having to be a cook to claim a hamburger isn't cooked doesn't work nearly as well.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Don't give the man coffee, he'll explode

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

You dare question the writing style of the Warlord Supreme? He has been doing this for over two, nay, three decades! As a Tier 1 Indie Developer with 12+ titles to his name, he's earned the right to speak to whomever, however he would like.

:geno:

I'd say you can do better than this but I'm not sure, your recent work hasn't particularly convinced me

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Cash me ousside.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/

You still might be able to get %65 back.

Good luck.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

ManofManyAliases posted:

Derek, I am not Toast.

And furthermore.

But wait, if you're not Toast, then who is? And why did you let him steal your belt?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

AP posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/

You still might be able to get %65 back.

Good luck.

how bout dah?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

MoMA is Toast, but he obv has to deny it for iron clad reasons

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Quavers posted:

But wait, if you're not Toast, then who is? And why did you let him steal your belt?

MoMA might be Tetsuya Nomura

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

That's pretty condescending given that you're wrong about software development. Not mistaken, but actually wrong.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I'm lost for worse

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

XK
Jul 9, 2001

XK posted:

Derek, I saw you use that cook/hamburger analogy. Please rephrase it in the future as, "I don't have to be a baker to tell you that your cake sucks." Your use of not having to be a cook to claim a hamburger isn't cooked doesn't work nearly as well.

"Chef" works too, and maybe sounds a little better. It properly overemphasizes the skill level. "Cook" could be someone slinging slop at a roadside diner. I've also heard it as "pie", but pie quality seems more subjective. So, maybe go with "chef".

This post brought to you by my stream of consciousness.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hav posted:

That's pretty condescending given that you're wrong about software development. Not mistaken, but actually wrong.

Who's the guy that veloped all that software in the first place, and what did he gently caress up that you guys have to fix

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
"I can't actually argue with any of your points so if you could turn around, close your eyes, and hum loudly you'll see everything is going great with SC"

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

TheAgent posted:

Cmmdr Alicia Shepard
Allianmce System
I remember when RSI had that rule where you couldn't make lists of people you wanted to hunt in the game and then it backfired because most of the time the only people who would break that rule were spergs wanting to hunt down Goons. Good times.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

I remember when RSI had that rule where you couldn't make lists of people you wanted to hunt in the game and then it backfired because most of the time the only people who would break that rule were spergs wanting to hunt down Goons. Good times.
For any FYAD reading, people weren't actually hunted in real life.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

kos lists with a pvp slider, just another dumb thing in the endless list of dumb star citizen things

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

thatguy posted:

For any FYAD reading, people weren't actually hunted in real life.

From an outside view, the way you guys invoke FYAD as a boogeyman is exactly the same as the way SC people do it with derek smart

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hav posted:

I'm turning it into an actual Gannt chart shortly because they're producing extremely specific time estimates without a critical path. I can see hints of a critical path, but the resourcing looks really fricking weird.

The only slack embedded in the schedule is Roberts.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Booourns posted:

From an outside view, the way you guys invoke FYAD as a boogeyman is exactly the same as the way SC people do it with derek smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Booourns posted:

Let me know when FYAD is $150 million deep on a tech demo.