Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I'm starting to believe that the Jets will absolutely take Trubisky at 6 if he's available. I honestly don't think he'll be on the board though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sean10mm posted:

Who's going to be the first team to grotesquely reach for a weak QB prospect out of desperation this year?

Do we count the Rams / Eagles / Vikings trades of their 1sts this year for Goff / Wentz / Bradford?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

The Titans coddled VY like a newborn babe, I have no idea what else they could have done. He didn't study film, he didn't have the desire to get better. He coasted for a couple good years and then washed out like he would have on any other team.

I don't care how good a supporting cast he has, no QB will be successful with bad coaching. Fisher is a mediocre coach who's awful at developing young players and has always surrounded himself with a crummy uninspired staff.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Bad coaching
Pourous offensive line
poo poo coordinators
Cocaine habit
NO WEAPONZ

Eventually you just have to hold the QB accountable for being poo poo.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kalli posted:

Do we count the Rams / Eagles / Vikings trades of their 1sts this year for Goff / Wentz / Bradford?

Wentz is looking legitimate if you go back and look at how terrible his WR's were last year.

If he doesn't take a big step forward with a healthy Alshon Jeffrey and Torrey Smith it'll be cause for concern.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
If the Browns only had the #1 pick, would Garrett still be the obvious pick or would we be having the "which QB deserves to go #1?" conversation?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I imagine they'd be more willing to try to trade down and get more picks.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The games faster than ever. QBs have to have elite reaction times and decision making to sniff what veteran QBs are doing. Luck is still one of if not the best QB prospects to ever come out in the NFL and he's only had two comparable seasons to veteran guys so far.

Defenses are insane now in the NFL. College usually shows athletic man coverage or JAG zone coverage due to the ineptitude of the amateur ranks. NFL defenses have guys intentionally take three steps back then two steps forward to match your timing route because the DC had him in the locker room studying tape for five hours.

Anyway point is you gotta give QBs a ton of time to develop now before you judge them and even after they bust it's pretty understandable since the position continues to be the hardest to play in the NFL.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Doltos posted:

The games faster than ever. QBs have to have elite reaction times and decision making to sniff what veteran QBs are doing. Luck is still one of if not the best QB prospects to ever come out in the NFL and he's only had two comparable seasons to veteran guys so far.

Defenses are insane now in the NFL. College usually shows athletic man coverage or JAG zone coverage due to the ineptitude of the amateur ranks. NFL defenses have guys intentionally take three steps back then two steps forward to match your timing route because the DC had him in the locker room studying tape for five hours.

Anyway point is you gotta give QBs a ton of time to develop now before you judge them and even after they bust it's pretty understandable since the position continues to be the hardest to play in the NFL.

On top of all that, the college QB game diverged from the pro game to the point where you are basically trying to convert cricket players to baseball with some of these guys.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No Irish Need Imply posted:

If the Browns only had the #1 pick, would Garrett still be the obvious pick or would we be having the "which QB deserves to go #1?" conversation?

I do not think so.

The Raiders, Bengals, Seahawks, Cowboys all built solid teams then plugged in a 2nd-4th round draft pick to find success. The 49ers also did in the short term and the Vikings were at least on their way before Bridgewater had that horrific injury and Washington as well weirdly stumbled into their answer for all they're trying to do to not keep him.

This is success out of non-first round QB's that hadn't been seen since the 80's in a modestly short timeframe, so maybe it's a fluke, but more likely the analytical approach is going to try and trade that pick, and when failing, take the ridiculous pass rusher instead of reaching on a QB. Better QB's give you more leeway on the rest of your roster, but building a solid roster will let you win with an average QB.

In comparison, when it comes to top of the draft QB's going to awful teams, you have, in the last decade, Luck, Cam, Stafford and Matt Ryan as clear successes, Tannehill should be as well but people are weird about him, and then 3 guys from the last two years which are on some variation of the right track. But, on the other hand, you also have Bortles, RG3, Locker, Gabbert, Bradford, Sanchez and JaMarcus, and none of the guys in this year's class stack up very well to many of these guys as prospects (apparently).

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

what the NFL needs is an actual developmental league where they can train QBs to do what the NFL needs them to do without the pressure of having to actually win real NFL games.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TheFlyingLlama posted:

what the NFL needs is an actual developmental league where they can train QBs to do what the NFL needs them to do without the pressure of having to actually win real NFL games.

Good thing they shut down NFL Europe!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TheFlyingLlama posted:

So.... college?

Because you can forever find something that is a step between, but you'll never replicate what a real game is like because no matter what you're playing with people who couldn't play on Sunday.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'm starting to believe that the Jets will absolutely take Trubisky at 6 if he's available. I honestly don't think he'll be on the board though.

If this was the year the Chiefs had the #1 pick and not the god forsaken geno smith year I'd already own a Trubisky jersey.

But I wouldn't wear it because I'm too snobby to wear a football jersey as clothes

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

TBeats posted:

So.... college?

Because you can forever find something that is a step between, but you'll never replicate what a real game is like because no matter what you're playing with people who couldn't play on Sunday.

College is about winning college games, not training QBs to do what the NFL wants

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Colleges care about winning too much. In an NFL development league there'd be a whole lot less gimmick offenses I imagine.

Edit: beaten with less words...

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

PrinceRandom posted:

Colleges care about winning too much. In an NFL development league there'd be a whole lot less gimmick offenses I imagine.

Edit: beaten with less words...

What's a gimmick offense? :allears:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

PrinceRandom posted:

Yeah but in a D-league you would have a lot less speed and talent. How many teams would you have? 10? 20? 32?

Think about Brock Osweiller. Now think of what the Texans would have had at QB in a farm system if they had Brock Osweiller starting in the playoffs. Factor in injuries and I don't think it makes sense to have a D-league.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Air Raid obviously.

Think about that before you draft Mahomes, Houston.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Big 12 sissy stuff

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

It's when you just run the drat ball

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Honestly, if you have an utterly terrible QB situation, an NFL team could probably find some success running one of those gimmick offenses. At least more then they currently do.

NFL coaches are insanely conservative though.

I bet if the NFL expanded by like 8 teams, some would though, because the standard talent pool would just suck so bad at that point.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

PrinceRandom posted:

Big 12 sissy stuff

Thank god, I thought you were going to bring up the Big 10 silly stuff or the ACC goofy things.

Kalli posted:

Honestly, if you have an utterly terrible QB situation, an NFL team could probably find some success running one of those gimmick offenses. At least more then they currently do.

I bet if the NFL expanded by like 8 teams, some would though, because the standard talent pool would just suck so bad at that point.

A lot of NFL teams are running stuff that some consider gimmicks. Pick plays and rub routes that teams run now can at least be traced back to the Air Raid when the base play was Mesh. Most of the innovation that we're seeing in the NFL now is due to coaches having the freedom to try stuff out in college before it transitioning up to the NFL.

Wiccan Wasteland fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 18, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kalli posted:

I bet Chip Kelly would be great in the NFL

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

kiimo posted:

I bet Chip Kelly would be great in the NFL

It could! Chip proved himself an awful GM, but that first year in Philly his offense was really good, and last year, the 49ers loving sucked, but both Kaepernick and Carlos Hyde looked reasonably solid, especially considering their receiving core was an abortion.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Everything that isn't the WCO

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think it might be fair to say that just about any offense will work if you have good coaches, good QB, good line and good playmakers who fit the system. I'd say that's more important than the system. They made the Run and Gun work, they made the Air Coryell work. The only obsolete offense in the NFL might be the wishbone.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

All aboard the Beathard Train CHOOOHCOOO.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/854383329591918592

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Thank god, I thought you were going to bring up the Big 10 silly stuff or the ACC goofy things.

A lot of NFL teams are running stuff that some consider gimmicks. Pick plays and rub routes that teams run now can at least be traced back to the Air Raid when the base play was Mesh. Most of the innovation that we're seeing in the NFL now is due to coaches having the freedom to try stuff out in college before it transitioning up to the NFL.

Panthers ran a zone read gimmick offense two years ago that led the NFL in scoring and I think red zone efficiency. The next year it was less effective. Not sure if it was the injuries and Stewart/Tolbert hitting that age wall for backs, but the feeling I got was gimmicks work to a point where teams have film on you, and then they adjust. The panthers were also running a very complex offense and after the injuries, they had a hard time plugging less experienced guys into that system. Either way, I think it had a 2 year lifespan tops before teams figured it out fully and started punishing us for running it (especially since it gave teams a free pass to hit Cam every time he ran the zone read).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

Panthers ran a zone read gimmick offense two years ago that led the NFL in scoring and I think red zone efficiency. The next year it was less effective. Not sure if it was the injuries and Stewart/Tolbert hitting that age wall for backs, but the feeling I got was gimmicks work to a point where teams have film on you, and then they adjust. The panthers were also running a very complex offense and after the injuries, they had a hard time plugging less experienced guys into that system. Either way, I think it had a 2 year lifespan tops before teams figured it out fully and started punishing us for running it (especially since it gave teams a free pass to hit Cam every time he ran the zone read).

The Panthers offense failed last year due to injuries on the offensive line and QB, as well as the drastic decline of Mike Tolbert.

Regardless of whether or not the league figured it out, it's obvious officials are going to let defenders kill Cam, so they need to move onto something else.

Of course it took Mike Shula basically three full seasons to come up with that offense so I don't have a lot of faith he's going to make something new.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

kiimo posted:

The only obsolete offense in the NFL might be the wishbone.

that sounds like quitter talk to me

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Walter Football mocks Peterman to the Browns in the 2nd because "obviously they're going to tank again". :psypop:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

I mean, this is what the 2011 Broncos did.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

:colbert:

quote:

Cardinals QB Bruce Arians said there are 5 or 6 starting quarterbacks in this year's draft. He again called this year's QB class one of the best class of arms he's seen.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I mean, this is what the 2011 Broncos did.

The Killing of Timmy, Parts 1 & 2, was delightful. :allears:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Well I mean if all you look at is the arms it makes sense.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Post on Reddit listing all player visits with multiple meetings with the same team.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/comments/662pok/players_with_multiple_meetings_with_the_same_team/

quote:

New York Jets
Kevin King, Pat Mahomes (3X), Raekwon McMillan, Brad Seaton (3X), Garrett Sickels, Mitch Trubisky (4X), Deshaun Watson, Davis Webb (3X), Eric Wilson
At least 11 pre-draft meetings with QBs. That's not smokescreen.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Chargers are working out Kizer

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Kalli posted:

I do not think so.

The Raiders, Bengals, Seahawks, Cowboys all built solid teams then plugged in a 2nd-4th round draft pick to find success. The 49ers also did in the short term and the Vikings were at least on their way before Bridgewater had that horrific injury and Washington as well weirdly stumbled into their answer for all they're trying to do to not keep him.

This is success out of non-first round QB's that hadn't been seen since the 80's in a modestly short timeframe, so maybe it's a fluke, but more likely the analytical approach is going to try and trade that pick, and when failing, take the ridiculous pass rusher instead of reaching on a QB. Better QB's give you more leeway on the rest of your roster, but building a solid roster will let you win with an average QB.

In comparison, when it comes to top of the draft QB's going to awful teams, you have, in the last decade, Luck, Cam, Stafford and Matt Ryan as clear successes, Tannehill should be as well but people are weird about him, and then 3 guys from the last two years which are on some variation of the right track. But, on the other hand, you also have Bortles, RG3, Locker, Gabbert, Bradford, Sanchez and JaMarcus, and none of the guys in this year's class stack up very well to many of these guys as prospects (apparently).

I find it interesting that you're willing to call Carr a success already but Wentz is conspicuously missing from this post. Also the argument that maybe Bortles is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Diqnol posted:

I find it interesting that you're willing to call Carr a success already but Wentz is conspicuously missing from this post. Also the argument that maybe Bortles is ok.

Because Wentz isn't a success or failure yet???

• Locked thread