Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

literally never done web stuff for myself before (and i regret the decision that made me do it), what is the good domain registrar, or is it one of those where you pick whatever and it is fine?

godaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

oh my god no

if you have no money, namecheap, i guess

if you can afford more than $0, gandi.net or netsol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
reminder that the reason goons don't like godaddy is they hyperventilate during checkout because of the upselling.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
network solutions is total garbage for real tho.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

reminder that the reason goons don't like godaddy is they hyperventilate during checkout because of the upselling.

no, it's because they're bottomfeeding scumbags

they routinely steal domains w/ "tasting," to prevent you from registering at a competitor. worse, they steal them after you forget to renew and attempt to sell it back to you at a ludicrous markup

they are just rly bad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

shagger just has a crush on danica patrick lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

mishaq posted:

shagger just has a crush on danica patrick lol

read that as crash and thought "must be down to 40 laps to go"

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

literally never done web stuff for myself before (and i regret the decision that made me do it), what is the good domain registrar, or is it one of those where you pick whatever and it is fine?

godaddy and netsol are good if you are buying a bunch of domains and you want to speak with someone right away. if you are not buying a lot of stuff the support is about the same as everyone else. it can be hard to speak with someone on the phone at most domain registrars

nearlyfreespeech has good options for 2fa, no pushy upselling

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Tragic Macpad

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

OK what laptop should I get? I was all set to pull the trigger on a new-old-macbook but I decided that's stupid since it's a 2015 machine and there's gotta be something better out there. I'm also ok w waiting another 6-9 months if you tell me apple is going to do a good thing and release the retina mba.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Shaggar posted:

I thought it was because they were pro life or anti gay marriage something like that

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

why dont you get a mac with the touch strip

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't there a yospos laptop thread?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hifi posted:

emoji bar is only good to be set to print lomarf as a reminder of your fiscal incompetence

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Dodoman posted:

Isn't there a yospos laptop thread?

link pls

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

hifi posted:

mostly bc I want usb 2.0 and hdmi out

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

emoji bar is only good to be set to print lomarf as a reminder of your fiscal incompetence

the price isn't that bad now, i can get the 2016 version of my 2015 mbp on the refurb store for the same price as i paid

but you'll need an extra $100 for dongles lol

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

dingle dangle

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

OK what laptop should I get? I was all set to pull the trigger on a new-old-macbook but I decided that's stupid since it's a 2015 machine and there's gotta be something better out there. I'm also ok w waiting another 6-9 months if you tell me apple is going to do a good thing and release the retina mba.

for a macbook "retina" replacement dell makes a "precision" 15 inch that isn't completely garbage. and it runs linux

for an ultraportable i had good luck with lenovo x1 carbon and linux. much better screen than an mba. unfortunately comes with really slow cpu like an mba tho

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for a macbook "retina" replacement dell makes a "precision" 15 inch that isn't completely garbage. and it runs linux

for an ultraportable i had good luck with lenovo x1 carbon and linux. much better screen than an mba. unfortunately comes with really slow cpu like an mba tho

I'm looking at 15" XPS atm

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the xps 15 is probably the best all around laptop and that precision is an xps 15 but with more options.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also theres no reason to waste money on a Linux laptop so you could get one of those chomebooks and save yourself some money.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Shaggar posted:

also theres no reason to waste money on a Linux laptop so you could get one of those chomebooks and save yourself some money.

yeah I don't need linux, the only reason I want macos is because of serato scratch live which is trash on windows

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

xps 15 is perfect with linux, you can even do firmware updates in linux with fwupd, and thunderbolt and everything just works

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yeah I don't need linux, the only reason I want macos is because of serato scratch live which is trash on windows

seems like you won't be happy with anything but a mac then?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I have two windows 10 computers, both on the same workgroup, same subnet, hooked up to the same router, except one is on wifi and the other's connected via ethernet. I can connect remotely from one to the other and access file shares by ip address but not by hostname, and i have no idea why. both can browse other computers in explorer but only other computers connected by the same method - the wifi computer can see the other computers on wifi and the wired computer can see other wired computers. is it just my lovely router?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
could be your router. also check that all the machines consider the network a home network and that you have sharing and discoverability enabled for home networks.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I have two windows 10 computers, both on the same workgroup, same subnet, hooked up to the same router, except one is on wifi and the other's connected via ethernet. I can connect remotely from one to the other and access file shares by ip address but not by hostname, and i have no idea why. both can browse other computers in explorer but only other computers connected by the same method - the wifi computer can see the other computers on wifi and the wired computer can see other wired computers. is it just my lovely router?

router could put all wifi->wired traffic through its lovely built in firewall to support features like guest wifi and poo poo

they're separate broadcast domains at a minimum

look around the settings

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

seems like you won't be happy with anything but a mac then?

yeah but I want to be convinced otherwise

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

A Pinball Wizard posted:

netbios name resolution has always been unreliable for me.

I'm a huge nerd so my network is set up the proper enterprise way so hostnames always work. The DNS search domain is set in dhcp and each device has a static ip or static dhcp entry with a matching DNS entry. This only takes a couple lines of config per device on my edgemax router

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

you want to be convinced that the software package you want exists on platforms other than OS X?

this is a brain problem not a computer problem

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

if you want to use *nix mixxx is alright i guess, but try it out before you commit to anything

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

oh woops. fwiw serato works alright with wine but that's not what you're after. i assume you've used and have opinions of traktor and the other options so idk how much i can convince one way or another. mac is good but get whatever works for you

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Perplx posted:

netbios name resolution has always been unreliable for me.

I'm a huge nerd so my network is set up the proper enterprise way so hostnames always work. The DNS search domain is set in dhcp and each device has a static ip or static dhcp entry with a matching DNS entry. This only takes a couple lines of config per device on my edgemax router

i approve of t his post

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not the thread or even forum for it, but how's ios on scaling the ui (or fonts at least) for vision-impaired users? specifically, do "big" apps like e.g. facebook messenger respect them? my old man needing a new phone, but his eyesight is rather an issue for getting full use out of a smartphone

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

not the thread or even forum for it, but how's ios on scaling the ui (or fonts at least) for vision-impaired users? specifically, do "big" apps like e.g. facebook messenger respect them? my old man needing a new phone, but his eyesight is rather an issue for getting full use out of a smartphone

just buy him a large phone. old people love huge screen phones because then they don't need to rely on extra scaling. if you insist on ios than it's going to need to be an iphone 6 plus.

if that's not big enough for him, then go with one of those 6+ inch androids

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my grandmother cranks up the font size on her iphone and it seems to work fine

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fishmech posted:

just buy him a large phone. old people love huge screen phones because then they don't need to rely on extra scaling. if you insist on ios than it's going to need to be an iphone 6 plus.

if that's not big enough for him, then go with one of those 6+ inch androids

he is never going to carry a large phone, rather hoped a sanely sized one could be made to work. thanks anyway

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

he is never going to carry a large phone, rather hoped a sanely sized one could be made to work. thanks anyway

if the software can't do it you can get one of those stick-on card holders for the case and then put a lil card-size fresnel lens in it that he can whip out when he needs it

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

he's old he isn't going anywhere. tell him to shut up and use his big phone for olds