Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I want to play a VR game where I am a wizard and:
  • I use my hands to perform magic gestures (motion capture)
  • I say magic words (voice recognition)
  • I literally meditate to regenerate mana (EKG headset)
As far as I can tell all this tech already exists. How many have been combined into an actual game though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

ShadowHawk posted:

As far as I can tell all this tech already exists. How many have been combined into an actual game though?

What happens to the players with an attention deficit disorder? Do they never regain mana?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

ShadowHawk posted:

Sounds to me like fertile ground for a kickstarter campaign.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Node posted:

What happens to the players with an attention deficit disorder? Do they never regain mana?
You let the player fidget instead.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

rage-saq posted:

VorpX is the current favored non-VR game hack but it is a pretty poor experience compared to native VR games you would feel like you wasted your money if that's what you were going into it for.

I know to you it seems like it would make sense, but wearing a VR headset and playing a game with a mouse and keyboard is not that great of an experience.

I completely disagree that it's a "pretty poor experience" compared to native VR games. Have you actually tried VorpX or are you just parroting something you heard other people say?

I've played New Vegas for 30 hours using VorpX and continue to play it. I'm actually going to play it as soon as I finish this post.

Is it the same as a native VR game with proper motion control support? No. It's more like playing an Oculus game pre Touch.

However just because you don't have motion controls, doesn't mean you can't enjoy an amazing experience. New Vegas is already immersive on a flat monitor. Adding in some amazing geometric stereoscopic 3D with proper headset rotational and positional tracking thanks to VorpX's Direct VR feature adds another level of immersion that'll make you never want to play New Vegas on a flat monitor again.

It compensates for the lack of motion controls by giving you that deep New Vegas experience.

One major negative of VorpX is you do need to tweak things a bit, though New Vegas is one of the easier games to setup with VorpX thanks to the Direct VR scan. I think the need to tweak things is what results in a lot of negative reviews because many people expect it to "just work". Also you need to be comfortable with artificial locomotion. Be sure to scan once you are loaded into the game world.

Virtual Desktop is cool too. Before I bought VorpX, I played and beat Max Payne 3 on a massive 170 degree curved screen.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 16, 2017

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Rec Rooms next Quest update trailer is live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slNVFgH0mfk

this looks rad as hell, always missed gun-type gameplay in Quest

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Zsinjeh posted:

Rec Rooms next Quest update trailer is live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slNVFgH0mfk

this looks rad as hell, always missed gun-type gameplay in Quest

I'm curious what it's gonna be exactly, I saw someone pump a gun in the trailer. First I thought it would just be lasertag-ish, but it could also be like paintball I suppose. I'm certainly excited for it, tho I am still really hoping for karts.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

I'm curious what it's gonna be exactly, I saw someone pump a gun in the trailer. First I thought it would just be lasertag-ish, but it could also be like paintball I suppose. I'm certainly excited for it, tho I am still really hoping for karts.
It's the Quest game-mode but with Outrun style music and laserguns instead afaik.

So 4 players co-op vs AI bots fighting their way to the boss

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Zsinjeh posted:

It's the Quest game-mode but with Outrun style music and laserguns instead afaik.

So 4 players co-op vs AI bots fighting their way to the boss

Yes I was talking about the gunplay, not what the gamemode is gonna be. Why would you pump a laergun?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Yes I was talking about the gunplay, not what the gamemode is gonna be. Why would you pump a laergun?
Oh yeah. I think that's just their way of 'recharging' the magazine/battery when they have infinite ammo. Sort of like the guns in Mass Effect 1
There's a couple of videos from beta testers playing full games of Jumbotron where they pump them every so often
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQRvKBVyjrg

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SEKCobra posted:

Cause it's satisfying? If you can't tell from the backlight-neon carpeting and the costumes, they're seeking to replicate real-life laser tag aesthetic. Some laser tag arenas have equipment with reload buttons or even magazine clips with RFID to tell when you reload.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I didn't so much finish playing Arizona Sunshine as I decided I was done with it.

The good: This is a great looking game that offers sliding locomotion (in addition to teleportation), gun mechanics that are solid without being tedious, and the devs obviously put some work into the environments.

That said, ultimately the reason I'm giving this a do not recommend is because it's an seriously frustrating game. The single player is a mostly linear progression from one location to another, broken up by searching for supplies and large hoards of zombies that are triggered by you picking up necessary plot objects.

I got stuck on one such hoard of zombies and gave up after the ninth attempt to get past it. All of the previous waves at that point had been extremely difficult to deal with without cheesing the fights in some way (mostly finding a way to funnel them into attacking from one predicatable direction and then hoping the game didn't spawn them with bullet-proof motorcycle helmets.)

The only change resigning myself to easy difficulty made was the game giving every gun a laser sight.

Aiming isn't my issue with the game. The 15 minute EVERY-ZOMBIE-IN-ARAZONA hoardes were my issue.

Go ahead, get your 'git gud' scrub comments out of the way but I wouldn't recommend this game at its current $40 price point.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 16, 2017

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I actually enjoyed it a lot and ended up playing through it twice. The first time I got wrecked and had to drop it down to easy once I got to a certain part in the mines. After I beat it on easy, I ended up playing it again on Hard and it wasn't nearly as tough as it was the first time around, and I'm pretty awful at games :shrug: Different stroke etc etc. I don't regret the $40 purchase personally. Although I think if you aren't going to do any MP $20-$30 might be a better price point for just the single player.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

My issue is that it was both too easy and way too punishing. The health system sucks, the shooting is easy as poo poo, the hordes are not a threat but if a single zombie sneaks up on you it can half health you in one, two hits and you might not even notice. Also gently caress the lack of manual reloads, if a game looks real I want it to at least try to mimic reality or else why am I not playing the game on a monitor instead of in VR?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
That part in the mines was stupid and it seems nearly mandatory to cheese it. That part was just poorly balanced, I thought most of the other horde sections were alright

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

8one6 posted:

I didn't so much finish playing Arizona Sunshine as I decided I was done with it.

The good: This is a great looking game that offers sliding locomotion (in addition to teleportation), gun mechanics that are solid without being tedious, and the devs obviously put some work into the environments.

That said, ultimately the reason I'm giving this a do not recommend is because it's an seriously frustrating game. ...

I got stuck on one such hoard of zombies and gave up after the ninth attempt to get past it. ....

Aiming isn't my issue with the game. The 15 minute EVERY-ZOMBIE-IN-ARAZONA hoardes were my issue.

... I wouldn't recommend this game at its current $40 price point.

Same thing happened to me trying to open the mines, I just couldn't beat the hoard and that was that. I share the same opinion as this review.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I really liked Arizona Sunshine. Walking around scrounging for weapons and ammo in the environments is by far the best part and the hoard/wave shooter parts are the weakest so I understand where you guys are coming from.

Fallout 4 VR should be amazing as all hell for me.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I agree on Arizona Sunshine, I got stuck in the mines, outside took a few tries as well. Never managed to get a co-op game going, though it seems like it'd be easy more fun.

I haven't played 4, though I will likely get it in release pending any huge issues with it. Was waiting for all the dlc before I got it and then it was announced for VR.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

ShadowHawk posted:

Spellfighter vr

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, so I haven't touched my Oculus in probably about two or so months and the batteries in my Touch were dead. I don't mean empty, I mean completely dead. I put them in my charger and it just says 'null' like they're not even in there.

I've popped in a pair of freshly charged Eneloops (the now dead ones ere Eneloops too) and the controllers work fine, but I think I'm going to start taking the batteries out when I'm not using them.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

Huh, so I haven't touched my Oculus in probably about two or so months and the batteries in my Touch were dead. I don't mean empty, I mean completely dead. I put them in my charger and it just says 'null' like they're not even in there.

I've popped in a pair of freshly charged Eneloops (the now dead ones ere Eneloops too) and the controllers work fine, but I think I'm going to start taking the batteries out when I'm not using them.
Mine haven't done this but they did run my rechargeable duracels down quite fast a couple of times. I'm guessing because I left them somewhere the capacitive surfaces were activated or something??

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

On Vive battery talk, are there any remotes that would be out of warranty yet that have battery issues?

I see them similar to what the PS3's DualShock was. Built in battery, but since you don't recharge it nearly as much as say, a Cell Phone, you should be able to get 3-4 years out of a remote battery with good use before the battery actually becomes a actual problem.

By then there will either be replacement 3rd party ones, or you just replace it with a newer version of the remote or aren't using it at all because Vive 2 or 3 is out.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Well, the thing about mean time to failure is it's a mean. So yeah, given enough Vives out there someone would have their battery fail the day after their warranty expires. Probably a tiny proportion, of course, and you're right that after 3 or 4 years it will be less of an issue. But that tiny portion who do have their batteries die will probably regret that they can't easily get replacements.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I found AS to be really enjoyable, but the horde sections are easily the least favourite moments of the game for me and I wish they'd have gone a more freeform exploration/investigation route instead. There were so many times I wanted to interact with the environment or find something to examine but they rely heavily on a couple of props that you can't do much with.

The horde sections can be infuriating because navigating is suicide but staying still relies heavily on you being able to quickly and reliably dispatch an incredible amount of zombies when your ammo count is surprisingly limited and being hit at all is very punishing. It doesn't feel balanced well for solo players at all.

E: Hyped for FO4VR, as much as I hate the voiced protagonist the idea of a fully featured VR Bethesda game is exciting as hell. Will be at least worth it for the power armour/Deathclaw moment at the beginning at least.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 17, 2017

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I enjoyed Arizona Sunshine a lot, though the only place I died was once in the mines. I did get frustrated at that point, but I was able to beat it pretty easily later by just putting my back to a wall and spamming headshots.

Beating the game solo pretty much requires you to be able to get a headshot every second or so, just in terms of ammo management, at least on normal or whatever I played on. It does get easier near the end, because you face the same sorts of groups of enemies with better weapons and more ammo.

If you just aren't great at shooting games, I could see getting frustrated and disliking it, for the same reason that I don't like racing or fighting games. I am terrible at them, and my time is now too limited for it to be worth getting good at them. It really sucks when you buy a game and it's just too hard for you to beat, even after slamming your head against it for a good long while.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
The next Pavlov update is planned to enter testing tomorrow. Expected to include 5v5 support (up from 4v4) and full Steam Workshop integration for custom maps made with Unreal Editor. Some people are already getting started on mapping, since generic Unreal projects will apparently be simple to import. Here's one user's WIP screenshot that was posted in the Discord recently:

As far as official content goes, SNDMap is still very WIP but parts are looking pretty good:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EdEddnEddy posted:

On Vive battery talk, are there any remotes that would be out of warranty yet that have battery issues?

I see them similar to what the PS3's DualShock was. Built in battery, but since you don't recharge it nearly as much as say, a Cell Phone, you should be able to get 3-4 years out of a remote battery with good use before the battery actually becomes a actual problem.

I'm pretty much thinking the same. They're pretty generic batteries, if there's a demand there will be a supply of third party options. Apple doesn't sell iPhone batteries to ordinary people but you can easily get one if you want it. It's not an ideal situation but its far from a critical issue.

Here's hoping the next ones switch to a standard cell. They've clearly learned a lot of lessons from Oculus Touch based on what we've seen so far, maybe the battery configuration is one of those things. Personally I'd prefer a high capacity replaceable lithium like an 18650, but I can see the appeal of standard AAs.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Looks like google earth vr got updated, it now runs on the rift without the dll hack and uh, now you can search places. No other features as far as I can tell.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I hope the new model Rift still uses/supports the same controllers/sensors whenever it eventually comes out. I just got mine last week, bought the touch controllers the day after I hooked it up and tried it out, and now am about to order two additional sensors to support full room scale without occlusion issues.

I'm fine with buying a new headset that supports a higher display resolution (hopefully!) but it would suck to have to buy new controllers and sensors too...

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

D1E posted:

I hope the new model Rift still uses/supports the same controllers/sensors whenever it eventually comes out. I just got mine last week, bought the touch controllers the day after I hooked it up and tried it out, and now am about to order two additional sensors to support full room scale without occlusion issues.

I'm fine with buying a new headset that supports a higher display resolution (hopefully!) but it would suck to have to buy new controllers and sensors too...

If you've got the money to spare and want the absolute best tracking for four sensors, it's recommended to grab one of these https://www.amazon.com/Express-SuperSpeed-Adapter-Dedicated-Channels/dp/B00HJZEA2S/ otherwise you'll quickly run into USB bandwidth issues. I've run three sensors + headset off a single good USB controller by downgrading one sensor to usb 2.0, but have not been able to get four working without at least two controllers.

Occulus, for what it's worth, has reiterated their commitment to constellation tracking until they work out an inside-out solution (where you have no external reference points at all.) We shall see if they stick to it.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 18, 2017

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

BabelFish posted:

If you've got the money to spare and want the absolute best tracking for four sensors, it's recommended to grab one of these https://www.amazon.com/Express-SuperSpeed-Adapter-Dedicated-Channels/dp/B00HJZEA2S/ otherwise you'll quickly run into USB bandwidth issues. I've run three sensors + headset off a single good USB controller by downgrading one sensor to usb 2.0, but have not been able to get four working without at least two controllers.

Hey thanks! I honestly hadn't even considered that. I have an Asus ROG motherboard with ten built-in USB 3.0 ports so I just assumed I would be good. I'll order one of these also.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

D1E posted:

Hey thanks! I honestly hadn't even considered that. I have an Asus ROG motherboard with ten built-in USB 3.0 ports so I just assumed I would be good. I'll order one of these also.

This StarTech card is definitely the way to go for something that puts a major load on USB. Most USB implementations are garbage but most people have never really experienced it because most people don't run anything that puts appreciable load on their USB subsystem.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

D1E posted:

Do be aware that card takes a PCIe 4x slot. If you've got a board that can do multiple graphics cards you're set as long as you're not running SLI, but the little PCIe 1x slots don't have enough bandwidth.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

D1E posted:

You might be fine. Check and see how many host controllers your board has.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Bum the Sad posted:

You might be fine. Check and see how many host controllers your board has.

What do you think?

I would guess that I have two USB 3.0 Host Controllers (an ASMedia and an Intel) but you guys are the subject matter experts...

Thanks!

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

D1E posted:

What do you think?

I would guess that I have two USB 3.0 Host Controllers (an ASMedia and an Intel) but you guys are the subject matter experts...

Thanks!

The ASMedia is probably ok for 1-2 rift devices, but the Intel is likely to just be tons of trouble. Intel stuff has just been garbage with all of its stupid autodetect options and other issues with inconsistent power delivery management.
I'd get the startech card and be done with it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

What happened to the Inateck reccomendation from the launch of Oculus? Sure the official drivers cause it to drop USB connection at random with Windows 10 (for me at least) but as long as you leave the Windows 10 standard drivers running it, it works perfectly fine for both my Rift and Vive.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

rage-saq posted:

The ASMedia is probably ok for 1-2 rift devices, but the Intel is likely to just be tons of trouble. Intel stuff has just been garbage with all of its stupid autodetect options and other issues with inconsistent power delivery management.
I'd get the startech card and be done with it.

Fair enough, I'd rather not screw around with troubleshooting glitches or whatever. Thanks again!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the future is orbs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr_04PCSDWE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

EdEddnEddy posted:

What happened to the Inateck reccomendation from the launch of Oculus? Sure the official drivers cause it to drop USB connection at random with Windows 10 (for me at least) but as long as you leave the Windows 10 standard drivers running it, it works perfectly fine for both my Rift and Vive.

I feel silly now because I've been getting that occasional USB drop and it's been driving me up the wall, but I never considered the Inateck drivers, so thanks for mentioning that.