Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Now if only they'd license Bookworm so I can get my reading done in larger chunks rather than small bites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Ah yeah, I feel uncomfortable potentially cutting into the revenue streams of both author and translator like that. Is there a lot of precedent for WN translations getting C&D'd when an LN is licensed?

e:

Argas posted:

Now if only they'd license Bookworm so I can get my reading done in larger chunks rather than small bites.

:smith:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I don't really agree that a translation of the web novel is cutting into anyone's revenues.
The web novel is still being released for free on Narou, and it got me to buy all the LN volumes. If anything, you're providing free advertising for the (improved) LN, the same way the untranslated web novel does.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

blastron posted:

Ah yeah, I feel uncomfortable potentially cutting into the revenue streams of both author and translator like that. Is there a lot of precedent for WN translations getting C&D'd when an LN is licensed?

e:

:smith:

Hey now, I love what you're doing but instead of suffering from withdrawal after every chapter, I'd just suffer from withdrawal after every volume.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That "reincarnated as a slime" WN is bad, right? Its good reviews on novelupdates remind me of the good reviews for other bad series (ironically I find that reviews praising a series' protagonist is usually a sign that the protagonist is going to be some terrible wish fulfillment vehicle).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ytlaya posted:

That "reincarnated as a slime" WN is bad, right? Its good reviews on novelupdates remind me of the good reviews for other bad series (ironically I find that reviews praising a series' protagonist is usually a sign that the protagonist is going to be some terrible wish fulfillment vehicle).

I haven't read it all that much because I lost interest quickly because the protagonist quickly overcame the problems of being a slime by...not being a slime.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I read a handful of the manga version of that, and it was pretty dull. There were no challenges because he gets like, not one but three completely broken abilities right off the bat. (Ability to copy abilities. Ability to make anyone think he is super powerful. Ability to permanently buff allies.)

Its one good point, at least in the part I read, was that he had no interest in enslaving or raping anyone, just founding a town.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

There is nothing more boring for me than a battle where you already know who is going to win, everything is just theatrics to pretend it's more exciting than it actually is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Its one good point, at least in the part I read, was that he had no interest in enslaving or raping anyone, just founding a town.

It is truly sad that things have reached this point. I feel like WNs reflect the genuine thoughts and desires of people (or at least young males), when previously publishers would filter out this sort of content before it reached the market. But now Pandora's Box has been opened and the next thing we know "My 1000 Girl Slave Harem in a Parallel World" is going to be on the New York Times best seller list.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Slime novel is very boring and has a bad translation. There are other demon lords and reincarnated people who are just as broken as the protagonist but it still manages to be boring because so much time is spent on effortlessly creating a monster nation far more advanced than any of the human nations.

Maybe that part eventually got interesting since IIRC the reason the setting is still medieval is that a rampaging horde of angels regularly passes through and murders the poo poo out of anyone who creates advanced technology.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 16, 2017

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ytlaya posted:

It is truly sad that things have reached this point. I feel like WNs reflect the genuine thoughts and desires of people (or at least young males), when previously publishers would filter out this sort of content before it reached the market. But now Pandora's Box has been opened and the next thing we know "My 1000 Girl Slave Harem in a Parallel World" is going to be on the New York Times best seller list.

Well, it's not like that stuff is exclusively limited to WNs.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Argas posted:

Well, it's not like that stuff is exclusively limited to WNs.

A big reason why we see so many poo poo WNs translated to English is the simple prose in them are relatively easy to run through a translator and clean up. Add some fetishes and low effort translating suddenly turns into something the machine translators can net decent donations out of.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was just a dumb power fantasy, but then it took back a minor character's death and then used said death as the unquestioned justification for mass slaughter.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Man, there's nothing else that can help me with my Bookworm fix is there?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Argas posted:

If you can read Korean (I'm sure some people here do), there should be an official translation out for early Honzuki volumes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Argas posted:

Learn another language.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Mulva posted:

Learn another language.

I was actually pretty lovely at reading Chinese until I decided to pick up Chinese webnovels. Now I rot my mind with the terrible garbage that gets posted to Baidu's top tier listings.

As a side note, getting the internet to evaluate anything will usually sap you of all hope for humanity. It's like these people are uneducated dullards who never taken a humanities course before! Of course, I'm in no position to complain as I'm just as eagerly sucking up this dreadful drivel. Web novels: terrible people reading terrible stories, making terrible judgement on what constitutes terrible literature.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mulva posted:

Learn another language.

Yeah, if you want to read all of it, learning japanese would be faster than waiting for official releases, even if a licensing deal was announced right now. Honzuki has a crazy amount of text.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
I'm learning Japanese and man Honzuki is way past my super basic reading level. Granted my class just finished te-form verb conjugation so there's a long way to go but it's pretty discouraging when half or more of the text is kanji I don't understand.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I just tried reading a chapter of Honzuki with the help of Rikaichan, took me around 2-3 hours. Reading blastron's translations is definitely more enjoyable for me.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I barely remember any kanji from my uni classes. I have tried reading Honzuki using rikaichan before but it really is a chore. At least I'll get to brush up on my terrible Japanese.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

owl milk posted:

I'm learning Japanese and man Honzuki is way past my super basic reading level. Granted my class just finished te-form verb conjugation so there's a long way to go but it's pretty discouraging when half or more of the text is kanji I don't understand.

Try using the aforementioned plug-in Rikai-kun; it lets you hover over Kanji/vocabulary and gives translations. As long as you have a firm grasp of most Japanese grammar (which isn't too tough), it isn't too tough to translate most WNs, though it can be a little slow.

Though relying too heavily on it probably isn't the best idea if your aim is to actually learn the kanji.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

FWIW, Blastron, I'm enjoying the hell out of reading Bookworm in your translation. Your pace is fine.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tomorrow is Tuesday, and you know what that means.

FFXIV weekly reset Bookworm!

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

(And then it was delayed)

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Argas posted:

It would suck being left to book release schedules for all of bookworm. It's divided into five arcs and each arc ends with enough of a twist to make you want more.

I can understand why people don't want to translate it though. As the story goes on and nobles start being major characters you get a ton of dense formal language that doesn't translate at all to English, the presence or lack of which is sometimes important, and a lot of terms for nobility that don't line up with real terms and I don't think quite translate elegantly. And that's on top of all the archaic papermaking tech.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Thanks for all the kind words, I'm happy you guys are enjoying it.

Ytlaya posted:

Try using the aforementioned plug-in Rikai-kun; it lets you hover over Kanji/vocabulary and gives translations. As long as you have a firm grasp of most Japanese grammar (which isn't too tough), it isn't too tough to translate most WNs, though it can be a little slow.

Though relying too heavily on it probably isn't the best idea if your aim is to actually learn the kanji.

I wind up using Rikai quite a bit since my kanji knowledge is pretty lacking. My strategy for learning is to use it as a last resort; if I don't recognize something immediately but think I might know it, I give myself another few seconds to try to remember it, then once I look it up I repeat the word out loud to myself, etc., to try to learn it. It's not super great though, especially when topics don't tend to stick around for more than a couple chapters. What I found really helpful is a dynamic flashcard app called Wanikani. Nothing really beats nonstop drilling for learning tons of vocabulary.

Irisize posted:

(And then it was delayed)

I got a good rhythm going and chapters in the buffer! I think I've worked out a pretty decent balance in my schedule to deal with all of the overtime I'm having to do, so things should hopefully be a little more stable.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I have good info that blastron will support the official release

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

blastron posted:

I wind up using Rikai quite a bit since my kanji knowledge is pretty lacking. My strategy for learning is to use it as a last resort; if I don't recognize something immediately but think I might know it, I give myself another few seconds to try to remember it, then once I look it up I repeat the word out loud to myself, etc., to try to learn it. It's not super great though, especially when topics don't tend to stick around for more than a couple chapters. What I found really helpful is a dynamic flashcard app called Wanikani. Nothing really beats nonstop drilling for learning tons of vocabulary.

Does Wanikani have an advantage over Anki? I've been using Anki for my own reading, inputting new kanji as I come across them (well, if I evaluate them to be useful, rather than something like 簀桁). I've gone from 800 kanji to 1100 since starting a few months ago but I don't know if I can maintain that pace. The cards are already piling up, so lately I've been running chapters through a Japanese word count program and only memorizing kanji/words that occur the most frequently. I've been meaning to write some kind of program to generate a word list for me but processing unicode in Python seems to be :effort:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Argue posted:

Does Wanikani have an advantage over Anki? I've been using Anki for my own reading, inputting new kanji as I come across them (well, if I evaluate them to be useful, rather than something like 簀桁). I've gone from 800 kanji to 1100 since starting a few months ago but I don't know if I can maintain that pace. The cards are already piling up, so lately I've been running chapters through a Japanese word count program and only memorizing kanji/words that occur the most frequently. I've been meaning to write some kind of program to generate a word list for me but processing unicode in Python seems to be :effort:

No, Anki can do anything Wanikani does and much more.
What kind of tool are you looking for? Because there's this and this

Tamba fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 18, 2017

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Anki is definitely the more powerful and customizable tool but I like Wanikani's interface and structure a little better. Plowing through the lower-level cards was also a great review of where my weaknesses are, like dates and counters.

(Also I'm too lazy to configure custom decks.)

Argue posted:

I've been meaning to write some kind of program to generate a word list for me but processing unicode in Python seems to be :effort:

If you're using Python 3 then all strings are Unicode strings! If you're using Python 2 all you need to do is write your string literals as u"foo" instead of just "foo" and you're more-or-less fine.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Tamba posted:

No, Anki can do anything Wanikani does and much more.
What kind of tool are you looking for? Because there's this and this

I've been using this; all I want is a library that can tokenize chapters into words, and possibly stem them, then I can use that to find the words that are important in a chapter, words that are important to the arc, etc.

blastron posted:

If you're using Python 3 then all strings are Unicode strings! If you're using Python 2 all you need to do is write your string literals as u"foo" instead of just "foo" and you're more-or-less fine.

:doh: ok lemme see if I can do this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Re:Zero WN is an amazing read and everyone should read it. Act 4 has almost been completely translated.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Grouchio posted:

The Re:Zero WN is an amazing read and everyone should read it. Act 4 has almost been completely translated.

Wait, what, really? It seemed like they were only on chapter 20 something last I checked.

edit: chapter 20 something of the 4th arc that is, and aren't there like 100+ chapters in that arc?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, what, really? It seemed like they were only on chapter 20 something last I checked.

edit: chapter 20 something of the 4th arc that is, and aren't there like 100+ chapters in that arc?

RZ arc 4 is 130 chapters + a few interludes. Maybe the translations just haven't been posted on Novelupdates or something. Pretty impressive if they've made it through 3000 pages in six months, though.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

darkgray posted:

RZ arc 4 is 130 chapters + a few interludes. Maybe the translations just haven't been posted on Novelupdates or something. Pretty impressive if they've made it through 3000 pages in six months, though.

The Arc 4 "fast" translation can be found here.

https://mega.nz/#F!VNdzDYYK!nK9fNU3LeprlZSbRAnlsRg

It's a good read but they dude doing it will cut corners and summarize poo poo he thinks his boring and makes no apologies for it, so be advised it's not a strict translation by any means.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

When they hit act 5 there better be a poo poo-ton of interlude stuff that happened during the nine-month timeskip. If there's no date in-between I could see this happening:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
ISSTH has jumped the shark. I'll still read it because there are only about 200 chapters left but these most recent developments are asinine.

The stuff with the Devil and God countries, the parrot and meat jelly, Shui Dongliu, etc. was all built up well enough that I cared and was interested but I'm not sure why that last arc (with a different conclusion) wasn't the finale. I assume it's to further tie all of the author's different worlds and stories together but he seems to have written himself into a strange and bad place.

On the positive side Way of Choices continues to own super hard. I wish I had found that story in a couple of years when the story will be complete and the majority of the translation was done. Almost looked up courses on how to learn Chinese but then I realized I would never follow through.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only thing i'm looking forward to with issth is for it to end, which will speed up the translation of a will eternal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the only thing i'm looking forward to with issth is for it to end, which will speed up the translation of a will eternal.

Should end in mid June per the translator's expectations.