Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The line is taken out of context, which is probably just

LUKE: Maybe it's time for the Jedi to end.
REY: No! You can't! Kylo Ren killed Han Solo!
LUKE: Oh, that's not good. Ok, it's not time for the Jedi to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kylo Ren being so close to him from friends and Luke more than likely taught him extra to have it all thrown in your face plus students killed? Yah, It's all bullshit and time to gently caress off.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 18, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Vintersorg posted:

Kylo Ren being so close to him from friends and Like more than likely taught him extra to have it all thrown in your face plus students killed? Yah, It's all bullshit and time to gently caress off.

Yeah it'd be devastating when you consider besides being Luke being his literal uncle, he probably acted as a father figure to Kylo Ren a lot while Han Solo was off cheating on his wife Joseph Joestar style.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ammanas posted:

I dunno I kind of agree with him. All the poo poo Luke put up with, some punk burning down his house shattered him that badly? We'll see

Luke's options were:

A) Hunt down and kill his nephew

B) Go off alone somewhere to contemplate option A

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah it'd be devastating when you consider besides being Luke being his literal uncle, he probably acted as a father figure to Kylo Ren a lot while Han Solo was off cheating on his wife Joseph Joestar style.

Joseph is a saint you shut your mouth

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Joseph is a saint you shut your mouth

Once youve stopped that many world ending evils it becomes arguable that cheating on your wife is a necessary part of a heroic training regimen.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

Luke's options were:

A) Hunt down and kill his nephew

B) Go off alone somewhere to contemplate option A

He also could have tried talking to him

You know, like he successfully did with Darth Vader

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

homullus posted:

Maybe he did try to talk to him at one point. Maybe Ben was like, "No gently caress, you" and set Luke's Jedi temple/home/training facility on fire.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

geeves posted:

Lucas turned the Jedi into a goddamn congressional subcommittee.

Lucas only stopped making Star Wars movies because he got tired of making them? Didn't he originally intend to make 9 that were based out of the story and characters in EP IV?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

geeves posted:

Lucas turned the Jedi into a goddamn congressional subcommittee.

You mean he showed them as an orthodox, organized religious organization? Because he did.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

tadashi posted:

Lucas only stopped making Star Wars movies because he got tired of making them? Didn't he originally intend to make 9 that were based out of the story and characters in EP IV?

Very early on he planned on 12 movies.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

homullus posted:

maybe he killed Luke's wife and dumped their baby on a desert planet somewhere, huh

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

maybe he killed Luke's wife and dumped their baby on a desert planet somewhere, huh

maybe talking to him is an option regardless of what he did

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

aware of dog posted:

Very early on he planned on 12 movies.

Yup, and even as "recently" as the early 90s there's some interview with Mark Hamill/etc. about what Lucas was planning if he were to do 7/8/9.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lucas could have planned 24 Episodes for all anyone knows but that doesn't mean he had any clue what he was going to have happen in all of them.

He basically came up with Episode 1 on the spot in like a week or something.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lucas is the quintessential idea man where he knows what plot points and beats he wants to hit and generally how things will end but when it comes to dialog and the specifics of everything else he basically throws up his hands and wings it. Which is why his movies where he has total control suck so bad and why "Idea man" isnt a real job anyone will pay you to be

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

His movies where he has total control suck so bad and why "Idea man" isnt a real job anyone will pay you to be

I thought ESB was actually pretty good . . .

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I've been reading the Star Wars thread for four years.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

homullus posted:

I thought ESB was actually pretty good . . .

He didn't direct that one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

roffels posted:

Yes, he just had full creative control and is responsible for it coming out at all after severe cost overruns and mismanagement vy his director.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

I've been reading the Star Wars thread for four years.

With movies/shows that have big fandoms, i stick to the "spoiler" threads, since a lot of chaff seems to get thrown off in the process of being made vulnerable to spoilers. I don't feel too bad about reading this thread for so long, but I'd pity anyone reading the OTHER one.

Barudak posted:

Yes, he just had full creative control and is responsible for it coming out at all after severe cost overruns and mismanagement vy his director.

Lucas didn't have full control over ESB and he didn't direct, and it's the best movie in the series precisely because he had to listen to anyone else while making the movie.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

roffels posted:

basic hitler posted:

Lucas didn't have full control over ESB and he didn't direct, and it's the best movie in the series precisely because he had to listen to anyone else while making the movie.

Do you know what directors do? Do you understand why the "director's cut" is released after the movie has been in the theater?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

homullus posted:

Do you know what directors do? Do you understand why the "director's cut" is released after the movie has been in the theater?

Yes. What are you trying to communicate by asking these questions?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

homullus posted:

Do you understand why the "director's cut" is released after the movie has been in the theater?

90% of "directors cuts" are "lets reinsert a buncha poo poo scenes that were rightfully cut in the first place and get morons to buy this movie a second time."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

roffels posted:

Yes. What are you trying to communicate by asking these questions?

banned from Starbucks posted:

90% of "directors cuts" are "lets reinsert a buncha poo poo scenes that were rightfully cut in the first place and get morons to buy this movie a second time."

Directors usually do not have the final cut. That Lucas was not directing is nearly irrelevant; the director gives direction to the actors as to how to interpret the scene. In this case, the not-Lucas director (Kershner) was giving directions to the actors on how to interpret scenes from the story that Lucas wrote, for final approval by Lucas. Lucas is the alpha and the omega of all Star Wars except ANH. He had total control over what appeared in theaters, because he financed it. If he didn't like what somebody did, he could refuse to include it in his movies. There was nobody -- literally nobody -- that he "had to listen to" for ESB.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

FuturePastNow posted:

He obviously took luke sightseeing to his favorite planet Acht-to, and then stranded him there while he was pooping. And nobody wanted to admit the last jedi got chumped by a 12 year old so they agreed it happened differently.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Okay it's fanfic time I see

What if Kylo Ren was just being a really snotty kid and disrespectful towards Luke, prompting Luke to lose his temper, and when Luke was screaming at Kylo he kicked off his rampage where he killed everyone, and now Luke is kinda convinced that it's his fault Kylo turned to the dark side (even though Kylo was, in fact, already on the dark side, and was planning to kill everyone all along, and he was only being rude to Luke to psychologically break him so he'd do exactly what he did and gently caress off to the middle of nowhere).

Actually that's really terrible lovely fanfiction nevermind

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Lucas wrote the story of ESB but didn't write the screenplay, and was an executive producer and not the director. The whole reason ESB was so good is because Lucas didn't direct. The whole reason why the prequels sucked is because Lucas directed. They had the cast of a lifetime, but his direction ruined it all. Even if the writing was crap, a decent director with that cast could have turned it around. The stories he wrote were good, but his direction was garbage.

E: even if he had complete control in the end, he's not such an idiot that he couldn't see good direction. His problem is that he couldn't see that he was always a lovely director to begin with.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 19, 2017

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

empty baggie posted:

Lucas wrote the story of ESB but didn't write the screenplay, and was an executive producer and not the director. The whole reason ESB was so good is because Lucas didn't direct. The whole reason why the prequels sucked is because Lucas directed. They had the cast of a lifetime, but his direction ruined it all. Even if the writing was crap, a decent director with that cast could have turned it around. The stories he wrote were good, but his direction was garbage.

Thankfully TFA solved all of these problems

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Zeris posted:

Hey hey hey, I didn't say anything about TFA.

E: if Lucas had written episode 7, and someone else directed, it could have been amazing. It could have been crap too, but i guess we'll never know. All I know is that the main issue with the prequels was lovely directing, which is solely to blame on George Lucas.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Zeris posted:

???

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TFA is the film equivalent of a plain McChicken

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

TFA is the film equivalent of a plain McChicken

It's the grilled chicken sandwich you asked for but weren't specific about wanting a crispy one.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AndyElusive posted:

Lucas could have planned 24 Episodes for all anyone knows but that doesn't mean he had any clue what he was going to have happen in all of them.

He basically came up with Episode 1 on the spot in like a week or something.

From what everyone can tell, Lucas planned on letting new directors come in and give their own spin on Star Wars stories. He'd quietly shepherd them in the background, make sure they didn't get too away from the point, but new directors, new stories, going out to 12 (or 9, depending on when he was asked) movies. Empire Strikes Back was actually made somewhat in that mold (Lucas didn't write the first draft of the script, or direct), but with more creative input from Lucas to make sure the idea got off the ground.

Then Empire nearly bankrupted him while making it, he decided he was tired of all these Star Wars, and he killed the idea, making Return of the Jedi explicitly to wrap up the series.

When the prequels came around, he wanted to revive the idea, having big name directors take their own crack at it. But everyone he asked (I remember Speilberg and Ron Howard saying they were asked) said they really shouldn't, and that it's Lucas's baby, and he should really direct them. So he directed some mostly first draft scripts he wrote leading up to shooting day. (There's a lot of great stuff in the prequels, but it can't be denied the scripts were rushed with no real editing. That's a factual statement. He finished one first draft/final draft script on the flight out to start filming.)

Even the Star Wars buyout almost saw him direct Episode VII. He reached out to the big three actors and said he was going to direct one more movie, prove the series is still profitable, and then sell it. But Disney didn't really need the proof, and bought it before they even got to that.

The funny part is we're now closer to the original plan of different directors giving their own takes on the series, either through Episode number movies, or spin-offs. The main difference is, it's Kathleen Kennedy shepherding them, and there's no way they stop at 12 movies.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The acting in esb is outrageously bad. Don't know if you want to hang it's quality on directing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

empty baggie posted:

E: even if he had complete control in the end, he's not such an idiot that he couldn't see good direction. His problem is that he couldn't see that he was always a lovely director to begin with.

Lucas had total control over the movie. Total control is not synonymous with "doing everything himself." He wrote the story, directed the art, oversaw the storyboards, oversaw the set design, oversaw the creature creation and modeling, and could cut from the film literally anything he didn't think was good enough (and did!). This is the critical chasm in the George Lucas Killed My Childhood brain damage you have: he had final cut and oversaw everything along the way. There is no plausible explanation for the final cut being good in your fantasy of director primacy. A bad director with bad taste who is also a bad editor with final cut will produce utter garbage movies, because he or she doesn't have to listen to anybody and doesn't know good from bad. You are really overestimating the impact of the director in the Hollywood system. It is an important job, yes, but really about on par with the editor and the lead actor in terms of how enjoyable the movie is going to be, and that's before studio meddling in the final cut (sound work and soundtrack are also tied for a close second, but they are still in second because you can make great movies with no sound). Great lead actors can overcome crap directors (The Sixth Sense, The Rock), especially with a great story and script. The Empire Strikes Back set in modern-day Edmonton on a $10k budget is going to be mediocre at best, even with top actors working for free: the visual storytelling and effects (all Lucas!) carry the load in ESB more than any movie in the OT.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I dare you to read it all.

I stopped reading at "would of".

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
my favorite star wars thing is when george lucas would walk into a room with WALLS of completed storyboards and it was georges job to draw on some stuff with pink and some stuff with yellow markers and thats how they decided what would be CGI and what would be practical.

i just picture this tin garbage bin under a desk full of dry pink markers

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

euphronius posted:

The acting in esb is outrageously bad. Don't know if you want to hang it's quality on directing.

I like the acting in ESB a lot, it's hammy and reminiscent of the sci-fi serials that partially inspired Star Wars in the first place. I do think it was intentional too, decades before the Clone Wars series and Legend of Korra, the original trailers for Empire Strikes Back (in a VERY stark contrast to the more serious, almost grindhouse trailer for A New Hope) had that same old timey the world at war news announcer/carnival barker hype man hybrid voice you'd see in countless serial narrations and promotions back in the day. And if you look at other trailers for early 80s sci-fi films it stands out as different because of it.

For context:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP_1T4ilm8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LuGkTtITQE

There's some points in ESB where the delivery feels off but in general I think there was a focused and successful effort to put that shiny pulp serial sensibility into a war torn and more deadly world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Possibly. My bad memory though tells me that wasn't kershners goal at all.

Though that was Lucas's goal in the other movies.

• Locked thread