Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I like how they couldn't come up with any cool additional things for wind spells to do so they just gave the series a slight sp discount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DrManiac posted:

I like how they couldn't come up with any cool additional things for wind spells to do so they just gave the series a slight sp discount

Actually Wind spells will do bonus damage off the Burn affliction.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DrManiac posted:

It does bonus damage against burning targets and cures the burn. Which is something I guess.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I still run into SP issues, even with SP adhesives. It's certainly not a cure-all.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite part is Sojiro seeing exactly what's about to happen and getting the gently caress out of dodge before things turn violent.

He also doesn't actually scold you for dating multiple women (at least in the localization), he just says to be a better liar next time

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I started a new game in merciless and basically came to the opposite conclusion.

In Kamoshida's palace, grinding is just not feasible; it takes too many resources to get more than 3 Xp a fight. Rather I avoided, ran from, and warped to fight weak monsters to lower my alert level when necessary.

I can't imagine doing this without knowing demon weaknesses from my first run, and I don't know status vulnerabilities from my first run myself (I was so so so so happy Eligor was susceptible to Pulinpa, let me tell you), but getting through the dungeon in one day at level 7 was much more satisfying than anything I accomplished on normal.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
The most amazing reveal about valentines day with multiple lovers besides the punchlines is that it turns out all along the Joker has been ignoring date requests of anyone he doesn't pick. So even back in hawaii when ann or becky is like yo let's hang out and you chose makoto? Just stone cold radio silence, not even a reply back saying he's busy or whatever.

Atlas will be loving up if the golden extra dungeon isn't the joker's palace. Make Kamoshida's sin into vainglory so Joker gets lust.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I still run into SP issues, even with SP adhesives. It's certainly not a cure-all.

I find I run into SP issues when I make Joker do too much in random battles. Like in the fourth Palace, I was running out of SP really quickly until I switched in Yusuke and Morgana, since a lot of enemies had ice and wind weaknesses that I was making Joker cover. Once I did that, I didn't have any SP issues at all (with adhesives on everybody, at least :v:).

Sometimes there's no real way around it but basically my party composition for dungeon crawling is "whatever lets Joker shoulder as little of the knockdown burden as possible."

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pollyanna posted:

Keep your weapons up to date and this stops being an issue until you get severe spells. And that only matters in the final dungeon when you can safely blow all your master curry and coffees.

Regular weapon attacks with up to date weapons usually do equivalent damage to spells/abilities without Amp/Boost and let you regen SP in fights against the omnipresent poo poo enemies that can't really hurt you.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Atlas will be loving up if the golden extra dungeon isn't the joker's palace. Make Kamoshida's sin into vainglory so Joker gets lust.

Make Joker Sloth because he likes everyone he's just indecisive and has commitment issues.

I think that's the premise of Catherine though

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I did it, I beat Persona 5. It only took 93 loving hours.

Endgame/All spoiler talk below, beware!

I find myself not really liking any of the villains in this game except Goro "Fuckboy" Akechi. The rest of them feel poorly written or barely extant, and I was expecting Akechi to end up having more prominence after his true colors are revealed, but they ended up just throwing him away. It was disappointing. Although lol at it being like 3 months and nobody telling anybody about what happened to him

The final dungeon was brutal but the final boss was really easy and that was kind of pathetic. I honestly think Persona 5 might be too long of a game. I was all hyped for a NG+ halfway through, but now that I've finished it I think i might be good just putting it down and moving on to other SMT games.

Also the final boss song is horrible, especially after Rivers in the Desert. What were they thinking?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The final boss song is good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Also the final boss song is horrible, especially after Rivers in the Desert. What were they thinking?

Sometimes you just peak too soon and can't recover.

And good loving lord I still can't stop listening to Rivers in the Desert because of that sick beat.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

I find I run into SP issues when I make Joker do too much in random battles. Like in the fourth Palace, I was running out of SP really quickly until I switched in Yusuke and Morgana, since a lot of enemies had ice and wind weaknesses that I was making Joker cover. Once I did that, I didn't have any SP issues at all (with adhesives on everybody, at least :v:).

Sometimes there's no real way around it but basically my party composition for dungeon crawling is "whatever lets Joker shoulder as little of the knockdown burden as possible."

You can also save a lot of SP by using physical skills and not giving a drat about knockdowns in the latter half of the game when most shadow groups can be taken out with the MC and somebody else dumping some hitpoints into them. Have makoto and the mc rotate mediarama duty and you can easily become perfectly self-sufficient

I fused a Siegfried the instant I hit Strength 10 and It Was Good

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 18, 2017

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I want to say persona 5 has the best soundtrack in the series but I don't know if that's just because I've already listened to 3 and 4's literally hundreds of times over the years.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would say the soundtrack overall has some of the best tracks in the series, but also some of the lowest lows too. I like it more than P4's, but P3's is overall still better.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

youre probably under utilizing physical skills
generally the sp cost to heal them is less than trying to down every enemy

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I didn't like the credits song as much as Never More from P4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lakbay posted:

I didn't like the credits song as much as Never More from P4

The credits song was definitely much weaker than P4's and P3's.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

kimi no kioku was better than never more

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I also like the ending theme of P5 more than never more even though Kimi No Kioku is better than both yes

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Vanity's already taken by Madarame. The only traditional sin that isn't is tristitia/despair and that's not one that works with any pre-existing Palace.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RME posted:

kimi no kioku was better than never more

Kimi no kioku is a real hard gut punch after "Close your eyes..." (P3 spoilers)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

UberJew posted:

You can also save a lot of SP by using physical skills and not giving a drat about knockdowns in the latter half of the game when most shadow groups can be taken out with the MC and somebody else dumping some hitpoints into them. Have makoto and the mc rotate mediarama duty and you can easily become perfectly self-sufficient

RME posted:

youre probably under utilizing physical skills
generally the sp cost to heal them is less than trying to down every enemy

Yes, physical skills are amazing. I think part of the reason I had a hard time when I played Persona 3 way back when (which was also my first serious playthrough of any game related to SMT) was that I avoided physical skills. I thought, "Why would I use skills that cost HP? That's insane! I need that HP to not die!" Turns out physical skills are a lot more sustainable long-term than magical ones, and often do the best damage in the late/endgame on top of that. Don't be stupid like me, kids. Use your physical skills.

Incidentally, physical skills costing MP in SMT IV is the one gameplay change that I really didn't like.

Dragonatrix posted:

Vanity's already taken by Madarame. The only traditional sin that isn't is tristitia/despair and that's not one that works with any pre-existing Palace.

It'd work with Futaba's, wouldn't it?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I will listen to Kimi no Kioku when I get home tonight because I don't remember it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Harrow posted:

Yes, physical skills are amazing. I think part of the reason I had a hard time when I played Persona 3 way back when (which was also my first serious playthrough of any game related to SMT) was that I avoided physical skills. I thought, "Why would I use skills that cost HP? That's insane! I need that HP to not die!" Turns out physical skills are a lot more sustainable long-term than magical ones, and often do the best damage in the late/endgame on top of that. Don't be stupid like me, kids. Use your physical skills.

Incidentally, physical skills costing MP in SMT IV is the one gameplay change that I really didn't like.

It'd work with Futaba's, wouldn't it?

That's Wrath

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

The problem with P3 is there's three kinds of Phys skills, and that can gently caress you up when you least expect it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I will listen to Kimi no Kioku when I get home tonight because I don't remember it

kimi no kioku no kioku

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Battle For Everyone's Souls is still the best boss theme. :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like Fog more than Battle for Everyone's Souls, come at me

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the answer sucked but it gave us Heartful Cry

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No one remembers Darkness ever which is the actual best Answer track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xO_IX50ruQ

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

That's Wrath

It is, but Despair could easily work if they wanted to use Wrath for something else in a rerelease (which, I should point out, is a massive hypothetical and I'm just riffing on someone else's idea here).

BaDandy posted:

Battle For Everyone's Souls is still the best boss theme. :colbert:

:yeah:

It also gave us the best Space Jam remix ever, it seriously works better than it has any right to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li8ZqVGzDXQ

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 18, 2017

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

I like Fog more than Battle for Everyone's Souls, come at me

:yeah:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I read Futaba's dungeon itself being a manifestation of despair with the actual boss being a manifestation of wrath.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I hope that, if they do end up doing an enhanced version of persona 5 some day, that I will be able to (Big Spoiler) Actually convince Akechi and get him back, because the way his S Link works is already weird

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yusuke: oh hey guys
mishima: hi yusuke
yusuke: hrm.

never stop making GBS threads on mishima

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Farg posted:

yusuke: oh hey guys
mishima: hi yusuke
yusuke: hrm.

never stop making GBS threads on mishima

When I do a NG+ run, I fully plan to go for every comedy option I can with Mishima's chat dialogues because that wet blanket aint right. Even his Shadow is so sad you can't bring yourself to kick its rear end.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When I do a NG+ run, I fully plan to go for every comedy option I can with Mishima's chat dialogues because that wet blanket aint right. Even his Shadow is so sad you can't bring yourself to kick its rear end.

Why not do it on NG? His social link levels up every time you hang out no matter what you do so you might as well just dunk on him every chance you get. I loved that in Hawaii, two out of three dialog options in every conversation with him are in some way making fun of that fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

Why not do it on NG? His social link levels up every time you hang out no matter what you do so you might as well just dunk on him every chance you get. I loved that in Hawaii, two out of three dialog options in every conversation with him are in some way making fun of that fool.

That's what I meant, didn't think they were separate things.