Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bewbies posted:

I dunno...it is pretty hard to imagine someone like Napoleon having any patience for "BBBBUT SENIORITY" guys, but on the other hand European armies were hardly more progressive than their new world counterpart. Certainly you can see examples of general catfighting in WWI (particularly in the French army) despite their political situation being far more stable.

...basically I have no idea how their internal structures would have supported such things especially in the event of a massive military expansion.

It's interesting, I agree with your read on Napoleon but he never really had to manage an army at peace. An army at war provides on-the-job training and performance evaluations that are very difficult to manage during peacetime, so naturally you have a different and lovely political structure that is inculcated in a peacetime army. I would say that a natural consequence of war is reform to more efficient internal structures eventually... but then of course you have Imperial Japan which disproves that theory entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's almost like ship classes are meaningless conceptual distinctions that can and will be obsoleted any time a new technology or strategy is developed.

Edit: The development of the CV ship designation is my favorite, because clearly that is a vessel that is ultimately a 1920s cruiser.

Meanwhile a Nimitz class CVN displaces over twice as much as an Iowa BB.

edit x2: While we're at it an SSBN literally blows both of them out of the water if we want to talk about raw destructive potential, while getting the BB naming scheme despite the SS prefix.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 18, 2017

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

zoux posted:

Are they sticking with those designations for new classes? The newest class of ship I'm aware of is the LCS, what ships did that mission/role before and what were they called?

Frigates, I guess, crossed with Coast Guard cutters? The LCS is kind of sticky because they're supposed to have 'mission modules' for minor ASW/ASUW/some other stuff, so in theory they should be flexible enough to adapt to a mission. I don't think they have much capacity, if any, for attacking inland though, or addressing a larger or more distant vessel, and not a lot of anti-air capability. They sound less capable than the OHPs were, but I don't have anything to back that up with.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's almost like ship classes are meaningless conceptual distinctions that can and will be obsoleted any time a new technology or strategy is developed.

Reminds me of the Times of London reporting on the Monitor-

"Whereas we had available for immediate purposes one hundred and forty-nine first-class warships, we have now two..."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Edit: The development of the CV ship designation is my favorite, because clearly that is a vessel that is ultimately a 1920s cruiser.

Meanwhile a Nimitz class CVN displaces over twice as much as an Iowa BB.

edit x2: While we're at it an SSBN literally blows both of them out of the water if we want to talk about raw destructive potential, while getting the BB naming scheme despite the SS prefix.

None of that is as ridiculous as the USMC referring to the ground as the deck.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

None of that is as ridiculous as the USMC

Fixed that for you

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Are they sticking with those designations for new classes? The newest class of ship I'm aware of is the LCS, what ships did that mission/role before and what were they called?

LCS is kind of a different thing altogether....they are tiny and basically intended to fight brown water threats only, and as far as I'm aware there really isn't an historical equivalent....maybe....triremes? Coastal battleships? Monitors? Coast Guard cutters?

The Zumwalts were designed as destroyers for whatever reason despite being the size of a WWII heavy cruiser but they've been Nunn-McCurdied into oblivion. Right now it is looking like ABs all the way down for the forseeable future.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of them big square Japanese ships that couldn't go very far from the coast without sinking.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bewbies posted:

LCS is kind of a different thing altogether....they are tiny and basically intended to fight brown water threats only, and as far as I'm aware there really isn't an historical equivalent....maybe....triremes? Coastal battleships? Monitors? Coast Guard cutters?

The good old Victorian gunboat.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Fixed that for you

Nah.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I wish people photographed/painted Gunboats more. They sound very improvised sometimes.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

zoux posted:

It really is shocking just how bad the generalship of the Army of the Potomac was before Grant. Fredricksburg and Chancellorsville, Jesus Christ.

Burnside gets some credit because he asked to not be made the commander of the Army of the Potomac because he knew he wasn't good enough. That's fairly rare.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The good old Victorian gunboat.

Those Soviet baby warships with T-34 turrets?

Edit: http://wio.ru/fleet/ww2armorb-1124.htm

GotLag fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 18, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

Haig's throwing French under the bus to take his job was pretty spectacular.

Also nothing beats the Germans for catty backbiting, either in WWI or WWII. Ludendorff declared that “I can only love and hate, and I hate General Falkenhayn,” and Sepp Dietrich came out with my all time favourite "“All he could do was stand on a tank and shout, 'I am the King of Africa,” about Rommel.

Sepp Dietrich wasn't wrong in describing Rommel like that. At the start he knew he didn't have the resources to achieve his objectives at the start but that didn't stop him one bit.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, Napoleon III and his relationship with his military men is hilarious to read about. It'd make a good political TV drama for French telly.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

GotLag posted:

Those Soviet baby warships with T-34 turrets?

Edit: http://wio.ru/fleet/ww2armorb-1124.htm

quote:

21 July 10943

Few ships could boast a service life of 9000 years!

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, Napoleon III and his relationship with his military men is hilarious to read about. It'd make a good political TV drama for French telly.

Napoleon III let a large number of people with widely varying opinions on everything have a lot of influence and power at various times and half the time France during his rule seems like a high school clique trying to run a country

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

"Hey guys this Crimean War thing is going too slow, you want me to come over there?"

"No your majesty, we're fine..."

"Well tough, I'm going to come over there..."

"NO WE'RE COOL DONT' COME IN!"

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

zoux posted:

It really is shocking just how bad the generalship of the Army of the Potomac was before Grant. Fredricksburg and Chancellorsville, Jesus Christ.

The thing is, both Hooker and Burnside performed better in commands afterward. Hooker was a decent general, they both really struggled with the command of the whole army. Burnside less so but he was still a competent corps commander.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Ensign Expendable posted:

Few ships could boast a service life of 9000 years!

the superiority of soviet technology and engineering, comrade! :ussr:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Panzeh posted:

The thing is, both Hooker and Burnside performed better in commands afterward. Hooker was a decent general, they both really struggled with the command of the whole army. Burnside less so but he was still a competent corps commander.

Lincoln should get a lot more flack for establishing a 7 Corps structure in the first place. It created an entire unnecessary layer of command that got promptly filled with political appointees who could be guaranteed to try and gently caress everything up regardless of who was in command (see: Sickles and Slocum at Gettysburg). The AotP should never have had more than 4 Corps and there's never a point where they couldn't have been filled with competent Generals.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

bewbies posted:

The Zumwalts were designed as destroyers for whatever reason despite being the size of a WWII heavy cruiser but they've been Nunn-McCurdied into oblivion. Right now it is looking like ABs all the way down for the forseeable future.

The LCS ships are effectively seagoing corvettes. Though the Freedom class is being redesignated as Fast Frigates, and Lockheed is selling a roided up version to the Saudis that's basically a small AEGIS destroyer.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

zoux posted:

The USN is now talking about something in the 4000 ton range to pack a bigger anti-surface punch than the LCS ever could. They're calling it a frigate.

http://www.scout.com/military/warrior/story/1677469-navy-to-upgun-change-new-frigate

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Lincoln should get a lot more flack for establishing a 7 Corps structure in the first place. It created an entire unnecessary layer of command that got promptly filled with political appointees who could be guaranteed to try and gently caress everything up regardless of who was in command (see: Sickles and Slocum at Gettysburg). The AotP should never have had more than 4 Corps and there's never a point where they couldn't have been filled with competent Generals.

Sickles is the guy that created a huge salient because he didn't want to march up a hill or something right? What did Slocum do?

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

bewbies posted:

I guess the antecedents to the LCS in the US navy would be the Patrol Boat River/Patrol Craft Fast and the Pegasus hydrofoil. The PBR/PCF havings its origin in Vietnam which served its role pretty well for the 30 years or so it was in service and the Pegasus having been designed to fight the large numbers of soviet missile boats they were pumping out. That is what the 6 Pegasus' they built were used for while in service, but they were put out of service because they could only really operate in coastal areas and the USN didnt really see a need for that when they thought they could do it trivially by air or just with frigates.

Pegasus hydrofoil.

The way that the US approached the problem back in the 1980s, which was the last time that having to fight in a coastal area really cropped up for the USN, was to rent two large oil maintainance barges, move them around a lot and keep light attack helicopters and SEAL teams on them to go hunting for the small Iranian motorboats they were using to attack traffic. The PCF's and Pegasus ships were called in to defend the big floating bases against the Pasadarans small speedboats armed with rockets and .50 cal machine guns, however they didnt get to do much fighting because the Iranians never tried to attack one of those bases so any actual combat was solely done by the helicopters until the USN could arrive in force with actual warships to shut down the Iranians completely.

3 PCF's sat on the deck of one of those barges.

The LCS is in a large way designed to fight against that very same threat that those two boats were called on to fight in the tanker war, I just find it very odd that they are only really coming into service now when the threat that would really emerge from Iran and states like it should have been obvious in the 80's that the need for the LCS as a ship would be there.

E: Changed PBR to PCF in many instances because im bad.

Polyakov fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 18, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Panzeh posted:

Part of the reason Chancellorsville turned into such a clusterfuck for the Union was because Hooker was more or less incapacitated for most of it because he happened to get too close to a rebel cannonball.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

zoux posted:

Sickles is the guy that created a huge salient because he didn't want to march up a hill or something right? What did Slocum do?

Showed up late. He does okay defending Culp's Hill, but there's a reason that after the battle he and his corps are sent West.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

Re. The Ural ray killing radar rumour, I heard the same thing about the MiG-25's radar being powerful enough to kill rabbits around the airfield.

Reminds me of the stories I heard of our soldiers using their jammers to set sheep on fire in Kosovo. (German EloKa, if you were wondering.)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Grant might never have come east if Philip "I'm a one-armed Jersey son-of-a-gun, follow me!" Kearny the Magnificent, first American to be awarded the Legion d'honneur, hadn't gotten perforated by A.P. Hill's boys at Chantilly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The LCS has no real precedent because nobody had laid down a class of ships that are expressly designed to a) cost a lot of money and b) instantly get sunk when engaged by shore-based weapons.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The LCS has no real precedent because nobody had laid down a class of ships that are expressly designed to a) cost a lot of money and b) instantly get sunk when engaged by shore-based weapons.

Not really. You'd be surprised how it's happened several times. Quite surprised.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Grant might never have come east if Philip "I'm a one-armed Jersey son-of-a-gun, follow me!" Kearny the Magnificent, first American to be awarded the Legion d'honneur, hadn't gotten perforated by A.P. Hill's boys at Chantilly.

Good old Phil Kearny, with his trusted III Corps division commanders Fightin' Joe Hooker and Dan "Temporary Insanity" Sickles.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

For years I've been hearing and reading that the British tank crews suffered relatively heavy casualties because of this and that in WW2, but the one that's bothered me the most is the claim that they didn't wear helmets. I know that the British Army adopted and produced helmets specifically for tank crews. I know you mostly see pictures of Brit tank crews wearing berets, but the majority of those are also all posing for pictures, so I naturally assume they'd wear their caps instead of helmets in pictures and many would just pop their helmets on when they needed to. I feel like there'd be better reasons like particular theatres, bail-out training, ammo stowage, the random whims of the numbers, and lots of others to explain the supposedly higher casualty rate. The helmet one just kind of struck me as too easy and ignored too many factors, but does anyone know if it's actually true or not?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Dunno about that in particular (I have never heard that claim) but in general tanker helmets aren't meant to stop a piece of shrapnel or a bullet, they're riding a tank for that. The main purpose of tanker helmets is to protect your noggin from getting bruised from a bumpy ride inside a metal coffin.

These things don't have airbags.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Sure, but taking an ATR or ATM to the hull will also increase the chance of banging your head on the suddenly lurching tank body, so there's that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
British tank design was the biggest enemy
Let's s make our tank fast! It will cost armor, but we'll make up for it by adding a lovely gun!
Let's make our tank super armored! Sure, it will be slow, but we will undergun it, so whatever.
Let's make a fast tank with vertical armor in 1944!

And so on and so forth, till the blessed Centurion showed the Brits that you should only compromise in the engine compartment. And the British made quality slow tanks with lovely engines for 50+ years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Churchills were a quite solid infantry support tank, which is what they were designed to do. And Cromwells worked albeit less generally than the Sherman.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There's a difference between a ship that is useful for other purposes (Blucher) getting caught in a bad place at a bad time doing a stupid thing, and a ship that is only designed (poorly) to be in bad places at bad times doing stupid things.

The Cascos and Keokuk are good proto-LCS and very instructive, Keokuk especially.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

This ex-BAOR lifer I knew was fond of saying that the tank they had was "second to none if it happened to break down in a good firing position". Not sure which one of the post-war British tanks he was referring to.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Chieftain, probably. They had a lot of engine trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Churchills were a quite solid infantry support tank, which is what they were designed to do. And Cromwells worked albeit less generally than the Sherman.

Churchills are apparently absurdly cramped. They had tiny little turrets because they were British tanks and therefore hilariously un-modern. I don't know how they fit 75mm guns into there, but I suppose the British were pretty good at stuffing big guns into small spaces.