Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So did Atlus make Mishima's social link level up every time you hang out because he's just that desperate for attention, or because they knew how unpleasant it was to hang out with him and that people would definitely pick the most insulting options possible and have a hard time ranking up an actually-pretty-useful confidant?

Or both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's because of the mementos requirements most likely

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Mishima's Social Link always levels up because Atlus had to balance the greatness of the Sun Social Link somehow.

(I assume it's because they didn't want you to have to both do requests and grind relationship points.)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

I like Fog more than Battle for Everyone's Souls, come at me

I'll allow this post Conquistador Wheelbarrow

Harrow posted:

So did Atlus make Mishima's social link level up every time you hang out because he's just that desperate for attention, or because they knew how unpleasant it was to hang out with him and that people would definitely pick the most insulting options possible and have a hard time ranking up an actually-pretty-useful confidant?

Or both?

imagine if they made it so you had to spend more time with Mishima than you already do :negative:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mishima is my friend and I didn't make fun of him even a single time. :angel:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Same... except the one time I succumb to weakness and picked the is the M for Mishima? and I wish she would step on me options. I'm sorry Mishima, please forgive this joker

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Compared to most Mementos mini-bosses, the ones for Kawakami's SLink, the parents blackmailing her into sex work positively poo poo money. I took it on after Palace 3 and they were dropping 50k per confusion shakedown.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 365 days!
If I don't get all 10s with my contacts the first playthrough but max out my 5 stats, can maxing out all my contacts be pretty easily doable on a new game+? I haven't played a persona game in over a decade and I just finished the 3rd palace, and after looking at a walkthrough, I forgot these games require you to plan your day meticulously :sweatdrop:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Tir McDohl posted:

Quick question, just a yes or no please (feel free to add buffer in the spoiler text).

Does this game punish you for dating multiple girls like in Golden?

I feel my bond with Sojiro has grown, I feel closer to Sojiro.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I never really worked out how Mishima's link worked; I certainly didn't alternate mementos visits and rank-ups. Does he just unlock rank ups based on the number of requests you've done, regardless of whether they came from him?

edit:

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Same... except the one time I succumb to weakness and picked the is the M for Mishima? and I wish she would step on me options. I'm sorry Mishima, please forgive this joker
Yeah, in spite of how he is I really couldn't bring myself to make abuse jokes at Mishima. :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spoilers for pre-fifth Palace stuff: man, this is making me feel real bad for inevitably perma-benching Morgana as soon as Makoto learns Mediarama.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Related to above pre-fifth Palace stuff I benched Morgana the instant I got Yusuke, and never looked back. :colbert:

NRVNQSR posted:

I never really worked out how Mishima's link worked; I certainly didn't alternate mementos visits and rank-ups. Does he just unlock rank ups based on the number of requests you've done, regardless of whether they came from him?

I think it's either a number of them, or just specific ones. It's not super clear, though I wouldn't be surprised if you needed all of them including the Confidant ones to get him to 10 because Growth 3 on everyone is nuts good.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 18, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

I think it's either a number of them, or just specific ones. It's not super clear, though I wouldn't be surprised if you needed all of them including the Confidant ones to get him to 10 because Growth 3 on everyone is nuts good.

You definitely don't need all of them; I maxed his link with three or so requests unfilled, including the last one he gave me.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

tenderjerk posted:

If I don't get all 10s with my contacts the first playthrough but max out my 5 stats, can maxing out all my contacts be pretty easily doable on a new game+? I haven't played a persona game in over a decade and I just finished the 3rd palace, and after looking at a walkthrough, I forgot these games require you to plan your day meticulously :sweatdrop:

Absolutely. When you don't have to worry about doing stat gain activities you gain a metric shitload of freetime to spend on social links. A NG+ file should be able to max out all the links with room to spare.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I spent most of the Hawaii trip picking every option that was like, "Mishima, my dude, we're in Hawaii. Put down the goddamn phone. We can't do anything about those requests right now anyway. Just shut up about the Phan-Site god drat"

Well, that, and watching sunsets with Best Girl Makoto

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

Spoilers for pre-fifth Palace stuff: man, this is making me feel real bad for inevitably perma-benching Morgana as soon as Makoto learns Mediarama.

Makoto doesn't learn the Recarm spells just the dia/media ones.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dragonatrix posted:

I benched Morgana the instant I got Yusuke, and never looked back. :colbert:

You do not need anywhere near all of them to max him out. Hell he gives you at least two after he stops being available to rank up, and I'm 99% sure none of the confidant locks are included in his gating.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tenderjerk posted:

Very easily. You spend a lot of time maxing your social stats and freeing that up gives you a ton of extra time to rank up confidants. Plus, you'll blow right past all the stat locks for confidants like Priestess, Empress, Hermit, Star, etc.

For what it's worth, the 100% walkthrough on GameFAQs is, by its writer's own admission, not as efficient as it could be, and he still has the entire last month to just read books and play video games. If you don't really care about those and know the most efficient ways to increase your social stats, you'll probably max more confidants than you think you will in one playthrough.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, I could see using Morgana sometimes if a fight is just going absolutely terribly for me, but otherwise I'm happy to use Revival Beads or have Joker revive people (since it's not like I can keep fighting if he goes down) instead.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 18, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

tenderjerk posted:

Extremely doable, especially if you have the Fortune affinity divination. Basically what I'm doing in NG+ is: Rank up if possible ELSE Raise affinity with Fortune then rank up if possible ELSE Go to Mementos/Fish/Read/Watch DVD/Train

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neddy Seagoon posted:

People use Recarm and not one of the billion revive items you accumulate over the course of the game?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I hope that, if they do end up doing an enhanced version of persona 5 some day, that I will be able to (Big Spoiler) Actually convince Akechi and get him back, because the way his S Link works is already weird

Wellll...

There's no way that's happening. You don't just shrug off the poo poo he did. The best you could hope for is getting him to turn himself in.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And those are easily made up for with the poo poo you can buy from Takemi.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Harrow posted:

Well, that, and watching sunsets with Best Girl Makoto

That's a strange way to spell Kawakami.

realtalk: on NG+, it's gonna be a hard choice between Makoto and Hifumi for me. Beep boop.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You don't need Recarm and it's definitely not worth benching Makoto for Morgana for when you can just have Joker slap Recarm on one of his 899992 junk persona.

Morgana's not a trash member though like vanilla P4 Naoto or anything. He's not got Concentrate like Ann or Heat Up/Gun Skills like Haru or Ryuji's everything though so it's hard to find a niche for him.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I used Ryuji/Yusuke/Makoto the whole game and I didn't have any issues.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You don't need Recarm and it's definitely not worth benching Makoto for Morgana for when you can just have Joker slap Recarm on one of his 899992 junk persona.

Or just do what I did and use both of them :cool:

(Team We-Have-Too-Much-Healing rarely died, but boss fighting might have been slower than it needed to be.)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ibram Gaunt posted:

oh my god your avatar

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I hope that, if they do end up doing an enhanced version of persona 5 some day, that I will be able to (Big Spoiler) Actually convince Akechi and get him back, because the way his S Link works is already weird

God I hope not. Dude is a total monster and I'm glad he ultimately doesn't get redemption. He made horrific choices and 'saving' him would cheapen his whole character

So of course it will happen and I'm going to be pissed when it does.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've been using Morgana for the last couple of boss fights because he has Mediarama and Makoto doesn't, and Joker has better things to do than spam heal. For dungeon crawling I like Ryuji/Yusuke/Makoto, except in Palace 4, where the large number of ice and wind weaknesses meant I went Morgana/Yusuke/Makoto instead to save some of Joker's SP.

Now that I have Haru I'll probably replace Yusuke with her, though, and then once Makoto has Mediarama it's probably going to be Ryuji/Makoto/Haru for most things.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't like Mishima and I'm glad the game let me poo poo on him without hurting my link.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Night Blade posted:

Wellll...

There's no way that's happening. You don't just shrug off the poo poo he did. The best you could hope for is getting him to turn himself in.

I'm still trying to figure out...

If Akechi really did just kill rear end in a top hat adults like he implied while he was going crazy? On one hand if he did, the adults are so lovely in this game that I can't even blame him. On the other hand, I don't think that subway driver, or all the people on the subway, deserved what they got so probably not. On the other other hand the lovely adult ratio is so high in this game maybe they did

I pity Mishima.
There is little sadder than once a man realizes he's just an NPC in another person's story.
Not even important enough to star in his own life's story.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 18, 2017

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok, now I've sort of figured out how the fortune link works and I've shaved so much time off my schedule it's not even funny. The Affinity reading doesn't guarantee a rank up, but two almost always does. You have to go back multiple nights to do it but it's a good way to focus on other links in the meantime you know will already rank up, then lay the ground work so you don't have to waste a visit on someone during a non-rank up time.

I still haven't gotten much use out of the stat one since I don't think you can get more than +3 and so many activities already give that.

Money reading is baller for dungeon crawling.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Levantine posted:

Ok, now I've sort of figured out how the fortune link works and I've shaved so much time off my schedule it's not even funny. The Affinity reading doesn't guarantee a rank up, but two almost always does. You have to go back multiple nights to do it but it's a good way to focus on other links in the meantime you know will already rank up, then lay the ground work so you don't have to waste a visit on someone during a non-rank up time.

I still haven't gotten much use out of the stat one since I don't think you can get more than +3 and so many activities already give that.

Money reading is baller for dungeon crawling.

You can get more than 3 points per stat, the interface just frustratingly doesn't show it. A bunch of books give more by default.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The stat one probably just adds +1 to substat gain, while the notes aren't an accurate 1:1 representation; as others have pointed out itt each note actually represents more than one "point" of gains.

So like it may take 50 points of gains to get from rank 4 to 5 of Guts, and every time you do a Guts-related activity you see 1-3 notes, but those notes represent 1-2, 3-5, and 6+ points respectively, or something.

It helps, it's just not as big as the amount of affinity from the affinity reading, and it's harder to see the result.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm still trying to figure out...

If Akechi really did just kill rear end in a top hat adults like he implied while he was going crazy? On one hand if he did, the adults are so lovely in this game that I can't even blame him. On the other hand, I don't think that subway driver, or all the people on the subway, deserved what they got so probably not. On the other other hand the lovely adult ratio is so high in this game maybe they did

Palace 7 spoilers I remember that cutscene as him trying to claim he only killed bad people, and the party calling him out on it with exactly the examples you gave. But my memory's a little hazy, I think my brain was still 50% rat at the time.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Is it just me, or do all the characters suffer horrible face deformities whenever they use Persona skills while wearing the free DLC outfits?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Out of all the Confidants, I think Fortune is criminally underappreciated. Her abilities are an extreme timesaver, way more than it initially lets on.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i hate that cat

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Incoming Persona gushing post:

The only problem with Persona 5 is that I'm gonna have a hard time replaying Persona 3 or 4 ever again after this. Even beyond the much smoother gameplay, slick presentation, and finally not-random dungeons, I like the cast so goddamn much. Every social link character is compelling and every party member is awesome, even the mascot character. And the jokes actually land this time! (On the bright side, this does mean that when I do get the urge to replay a Persona game, it'll probably be 2, and I haven't actually played Innocent Sin yet.)

Granted I'm not done yet, but I'm not really foreseeing a total quality cliff-dive in the last couple of months, so I feel pretty confident in saying that I was mega-hyped for this game and I am in no way disappointed by anything at all about it. God drat I love Persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

NRVNQSR posted:

Palace 7 spoilers I remember that cutscene as him trying to claim he only killed bad people, and the party calling him out on it with exactly the examples you gave. But my memory's a little hazy, I think my brain was still 50% rat at the time.

My thought is
He didn't necessarily lie, he just thinks all adults are bad because he's loving crazy and has probably seen precious little to prove him wrong.

And am I the only one confused that
Cthulhu wasn't one of his personas? It would make sense and the library made that book available once you recruited him (which in no way made him suspicious as hell)

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 18, 2017