Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Angola, Count

Also sign me up, preferably for a Gripen. Callsign Orbital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Since AngerPEACE looks like it's not gonna win

Angola - Dictator
gently caress colonialism and I don't trust someone who supported Rhodesia to have the people's best interests in mind.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
I'll cast my vote again; Angola, Count

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
As I already said, there is only one Count and he was played by Bela Lugosi. We're mercenary secretaries now, take Dictation.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Usual Barb posted:

gently caress colonialism and I don't trust someone who supported Rhodesia to have the people's best interests in mind.

I'm...pretty sure "running humanitarian aid into Rhodesia" means "flew in food and medicine for people displaced in the Rhodesian Bush War", not "supported the Rhodesian government."

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

FYI : Our mercs, after the previous stellar mission, have decided to have a Thunderdome. Why? I'm not sure, maybe to decide who's the boss or who carries the M60?

It's looking to be entertaining. But on the other hand if they all die from infections in two weeks then we're poo poo out of merc luck.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Yooper posted:

FYI : Our mercs, after the previous stellar mission, have decided to have a Thunderdome. Why? I'm not sure, maybe to decide who's the boss or who carries the M60?

It's looking to be entertaining. But on the other hand if they all die from infections in two weeks then we're poo poo out of merc luck.

Apparently our ground component is slowly descending into madness. :stare: I wonder if we could sell the rights to a reality TV show?

And since third time's the charm - Count me in for Angola!

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Yooper posted:

Here is a link to our Master Sheet This is also in the OP. It is a mirror of the working sheet. All pilot requests are on there, plane assignment, budget, links, you name it. If I hosed it up, please let me know.
I think I count 17 Phantom crew as I try to figure out who my crewmate is based on who's next to me in the list. I'm hoping it's Geocities because both "Beguiler Meat" and "Meat Beguiler" are goddamned amazing callsigns.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Yooper posted:

It was the only sensible solution that a bunch of 18-year-old bootcamp dropouts could come up with to determine who gets the one of the very few leadership slots!

Also it will be fun to see which one beats the other with a chain or bat or whatever. I think they'll all be wearing rigid body armor and in any case they are very weak (thanks a lot, Phoenix Command Stat Generation) so I don't think any of them are likely to be seriously injured.

Also we shouldn't worry about grinding up too many ground mercs and becoming under strength, as that recruit roster is WAY longer than the number of soldiers a sane Phoenix Command GM can simulate in any given mission. Plenty of replacements, is what I'm saying.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Soup Inspector posted:

Apparently our ground component is slowly descending into madness. :stare: I wonder if we could sell the rights to a reality TV show?

Oh like you wouldn't take the chance to dress everybody up in those super-heavy EOD suits and whale on each other with 2x4's :colbert:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Soup Inspector posted:

They're commanded by Kurt Russel. He thinks.

Sooner or later we're going to find them naked, painted blue, and hopped up on some crazy local mushroom muttering about how they need to feel the kill like an animal. Phoenix Command has done worse to stronger minds.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Soup Inspector posted:

We've been in theater like a day and a half. The descent into madness isn't that slow.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Zaodai posted:

We've been in theater like a day and a half. The descent into madness isn't that slow.

Nor did it just begin.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Soup Inspector posted:

Apparently our ground component is slowly descending into madness. :stare:

Ok, listen, the ground troops have...some things to work out, but let's be honest here, they ain't got it as easy as we do. They don't have radios or binoculars, they're all so young, they don't have ~100's of millions of dollars to throw around and they don't get to argue over which EW pod is the best.

Instead, they argue over who gets the single m60 or who gets one of the scant few squad leader positions.

I hope we will all give our ground component some space and let them figure things out for themselves. They are facing a very different set of circumstances and we have to acknowledge that.

Also I think their base coordinator might be the used car salesman who sells us American planes and missiles? It's difficult to say.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Davin Valkri posted:

I'm...pretty sure "running humanitarian aid into Rhodesia" means "flew in food and medicine for people displaced in the Rhodesian Bush War", not "supported the Rhodesian government."

He probably just has good PR people :colbert:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, while you guys were arguing over whether multi-million dollar frogfoots are too poo poo for the money, there are actual children better supplied than our ground forces.

And yet we still managed to blow up that radar installation for you. :smugdog:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Yeah, while you guys were arguing over whether multi-million dollar frogfoots are too poo poo for the money, there are actual children better supplied than our ground forces.

And yet we still managed to blow up that radar installation for you. :smugdog:

I'll mention it now that before Phi had a chance to run his turn I made a little script that did 1 of 3 things. 1, the Mercs blew up the radar. 2, they blew it up and some chinese AAA fired up. 3, they cut a sewage line.

Had they cut a sewage line the mission would have gone very badly. This was one reason the payout was so high. We had a 33% chances of about 50% (minimum) losses. But since Phi was able to run the turn, and a ground pounder named Grimace took one to the knee, the radar was blown up.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Are you saying that if we had cut the sewage line, everything would have gone to poo poo?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

J-20 Mighty Dragons stuck spinning their wheels and sliding across the tarmac on an ocean of sewage.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Dandywalken posted:

J-20 Mighty Dragons stuck spinning their wheels and sliding across the tarmac on an ocean of sewage.

I'm angry this didn't happen now.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Alikchi posted:

I'm angry this didn't happen now.

Now that you guys mention it, that would have been hilarious.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I do want to point out that our ground force's commander isn't just a Kurt Russel Cosplayer.

They're actually an escaped mental patient that thinks that they are Kurt Russel and all his characters.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

NewMars posted:

I do want to point out that our ground force's commander isn't just a Kurt Russel Cosplayer.

They're actually an escaped mental patient that thinks that they are Kurt Russel and all his characters.

Forget about that, the International Moose Count is underway!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

NewMars posted:

Boca Raton. Of course.

I wouldn't be surprised if this Faux Kurt Russel turned out to be a real Colonel Kurtz type the way things are shaking out. We should have voted for that Soviet partisan.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know it just hits me: It's worse than that.

We're commanded by FLORIDA MAN

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Night10194 posted:

You know it just hits me: It's worse than that.

We're commanded by FLORIDA MAN

Hired Goons Ground Division: The Florida Men.

Explains everything.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

NewMars posted:

And yet he managed to infiltrate that radar base and capture a guy, AND communicate with him in Chinese.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Communicate badly, as his intel cost Grimace a kneecap.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
A vote for the Angola Count.

JcDent posted:

Communicate badly, as his intel cost Grimace a kneecap.

Well, to be fair, the guard who shot him apparently being a quickdraw was what really did his knee in, if the five pages of maths following the explanation of impulses meant what I think it did.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Serpentis posted:

A vote for the Angola Count.

Well, to be fair, the guard who shot him apparently being a quickdraw was what really did his knee in, if the five pages of maths following the explanation of impulses meant what I think it did.

From what I understand the tec had his weapon drawn and aimed at the door before Grimace came in and then managed to roll really well.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Telsa Cola posted:

From what I understand the tec had his weapon drawn and aimed at the door before Grimace came in and then managed to roll really well.

I bet that tech just sat there all day, every day with his lovely TT-33 pointed at the door and beads of sweat dripping down his face. Finally, Grimace burst in and the tech shot him and the tech said, "See guys? I told y--" and then Grimace shot him in the face.

The sad life of remote mountain radar technicians.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cathode Raymond posted:

I bet that tech just sat there all day, every day with his lovely TT-33 pointed at the door and beads of sweat dripping down his face. Finally, Grimace burst in and the tech shot him and the tech said, "See guys? I told y--" and then Grimace shot him in the face.

The sad life of remote mountain radar technicians.

I think every sufficiently grognardy 'realistic' RPG or combat came eventually tends towards purest black comedy of errors.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In my head, it was basically this.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The Grimace did ace the 98% chance of failure not tompass out.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Angola - Count

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Oh, I went away for a minute and the mercs have now invented boltguns, I'm sure this won't go badly

Also Angola - Count

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

quote:

vote count

count von hoff
zaodai
genhavoc
agean90
el spamo
cbjamo
grandeko_2000
bacarruda
chitoryu12
jcdent
stago lego
soup inspector
night10194
quinntan
zaodai
vking
baloogan
coffeehitler
davin valkri
anta
psawhn
lost cosmonaut
pthighs
power crystals
cumbria
gen havoc
newmars
bourricot
miki
yvonmukluk
dr snark
sniper4625
yurtchadled
circlmastr
cimbri
apsudeonym
saukkis
idragon
agean90
tyathas
glynnenstien
barclay
bgreman
wedgekree
mr crustacean
nuramor
tetraptous
saris
serpentis
vend

dictator
veryslightlymad
jimmy4400nav
slaan
koolkevz666
sparkmaster
added space
rchandra
90s cringe rock
added space
thegreatevilking
dagon
gervasius
loel
sparkmaster
raffytaffy
renassiancespam
velius
aphid_licker
usual barb

angerpeace
cathode raymond
popete
simplefish
stago lego
crazycryodude
veilus
popete
manifunk destiny
alikchi

free state
tripla a
professor malice
dong quixote
nothing to see here

angola
classwarcraft
xthetenth

icebergfreshfish
condoleezza nice

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Angola - Count

Mostly I want to drop some bombs on bitcoin aficionados.

Also I just looked at the master sheet and noticed I'm in a Phantom. I had meant to ask for that anyway because my uncle flew an F-4C in Vietnam. (He was shot down though. Hopefully I do better.)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
At least we'll be blowing up reddit. e: that vote tally has some dupes, but seems pretty Count-focused anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yooper posted:

Soup Inspector posted:

Honestly this is fairly normal behavior for junior enlisted grunts